• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resolutiongate: the aftermath. Musings from a Call of Duty Dude Bro.........

So I bought a PS4 and XB1 day one. Also managed to get my hands on COD: Ghosts for both platforms. I was genuinely curious to play the game on both platforms because I really wanted to put each controller through it's paces to determine which would be the better shooter controller for me on these new consoles.

Of course the resolution differences would also be an interesting point of comparison. Which brings me to the topic of this thread. I certainly didn't think it made much sense for members of the gaming media to go out of their way to defend the XB1's 720p output for many games, but I also thought in the back of my head there was a chance I might not notice the difference that easily myself.

At this point I've spent nearly 10 hours playing Ghosts on XB1, and about 20 hours on the PS4 version. Of course I had the PS4 version a week earlier, and so booting up the XB1 version, I would say it took about 10 seconds for me to notice I was most certainly not playing a 1080p native game. For me the difference in resolution was easy to notice. Distance objects have this constant shimmering/jagged edges during movement, as the lower resolution cannot properly resolve those details. Even worse the XB1's upscaling is introducing some ridiculous over sharpening effects, which make some aspects even uglier.

I would even go as far as saying this has a tangible effect on gameplay, as picking out distant enemies is far more difficult with less than half the pixels available to render them. The fact that members of the gaming press didn't pick up on this is frankly a little shocking. Like I said, give me 5-10 seconds of footage for each version on a 1080p TV, and I promise I could pick them out every time. The 1080p image just has an immediately more "solid" look to it.

On a side note I'll just mention that I bought every single COD on the Xbox 360, and I felt that controller provided the best experience playing that type of game. I can say with confidence that I now feel the DS4 is the better option this time around. The sticks on the XB1 controller feel far less precise for some reason, and I find aiming where I want in the heat of the moment, to be far less predictable. Even the angle and shape of the triggers strikes me as a little awkward, if you use your middle finger to fire your weapon, and your right index finger is on R1 at all times, which it is for me.

That's just my 2 cents on the matter, but I'm rather amused there are people covering this industry saying that "with a gun to my head I couldn't tell the two versions of this game apart". You're either someone who's not interested in graphics at all, and ignores them, or there is a confirmation bias at play that makes you want to believe that's true. If I'm being honest, I almost wish I didn't come to the conclusions I did, because I've quite enjoyed having my TV integrated into the XB1, and playing game like COD on it is great, because I can pop on the TV between each match for a couple minutes. But if I'm wanting to play the best version of Ghosts, it's going to be the PS4 version I boot up.

i-Lo

Query: Could the shimmering and aliasing effects have been exacerbated due to the forced implementation of the upscaler?

Marc

No dude bro writes a post that long or thoughtful.

Must be trying to learn their ways and infiltrate the group.

Nice read, pretty informative and thanks for sharing. More interested in this for open world games, draw distance and seeing things clearly with the increased distance. Infamous is going to pop eyeballs.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I had a problem with the HDCP-handshake on the XBO this morning, and for some reason that changed the resolution settings of the system from 1080p to 720p. I noticed after ca. 10-20 seconds that something was not right (most noticeable with the fonts) and checked the resolution. So I am with the OP, I don't get how the press was so dismissive about that.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I'm with you, OP. I haven't used the XB1 controller, but the Dualshock 4 is incredible. The sticks are almost perfect.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
But The gaming press will never take back what they said or their reviews imo. Swept under the rug to save face.

Mondy

Banned
Resolutiongate, to me, is very similar to the climate change debate; if you haven't convinced someone unequivocally with the overwhelming evidence by now, chances are it's not that they aren't getting it, it's that they don't want to get it.

legacyzero

Banned
Anybody claiming to not notice these differences are either blind or simply do not care about them.

The blur, the jaggies, the difficulty picking out and tracking distance objects, etc.

Query: Could the shimmering and aliasing effects have been exacerbated due to the forced implementation of the upscaler?

Taking 720 pixels and stretching them out over 1080. It couldn't have helped.

You might not be able to put your finger on it but when a game is 1080p native you can tell. Especially for me cause I game on a huge TV. Also in games like COD last gen was problematic for me cause I couldn't see distant enemies. The higher resolution matters in shooters

This is every single bit of the reason why I built a gaming PC a couple years ago. Playing these games at resolutions mostly under 720 was just horrible for my eyes. And it's very difficult to enjoy games at that low of a res when you can't fucking see shit.

You might not be able to put your finger on it but when a game is 1080p native you can tell. Especially for me cause I game on a huge TV. Also in games like COD last gen was problematic for me cause I couldn't see distant enemies. The higher resolution matters in shooters

i-Lo

I had a problem with the HDCP-handshake on the XBO this morning, and for some reason that changed the resolution settings of the system from 1080p to 720p. I noticed after ca. 10-20 seconds that something was not right (most noticeable with the fonts) and checked the resolution. So I am with the OP, I don't get how the press was so dismissive about that.

But Adam Sessler said...

In all seriousness, I have been one of the believers that the difference may not be that readily apparent. Looks like I may have to change my mind.

I should also note, because someone is going to bring it up. The framerate differences.

The XB1 version of Ghosts runs about the same as the 360 version, which is to say, very smoothly 99% of the time.

The PS4 version doesn't run as smoothly, and the day of the PS4 launch I would even say the fluctuations were regularly noticeable. But over the past week there have already been several patches, and I can say I'm noticing far less drops today than I was a week ago. I'm now optimistic Infinity Ward is going to get this completely sorted out here soon.

So for now, the XB1 still holds a small advantage over the PS4 version when it comes to framerate, but it's getting better with each update, and as I stated in the OP, I would still choose to play the PS4 version due to the advantages mentioned.

Ambient80

Cool write up! Great way to explain differences between the two.

Still tho, I feel like some people think the XBO is never going to make a jump to native 1080p. A couple of games already are, right? I mean yeah it's a crappy way to have a launch, but do some people really think it'll never improve? Seems naive, considering how far the 360 and PS3 came during their runs.

I want to clarify, that's not directed at the OP, just some of the crazies around here.

PFD

I would even go as far as saying this has a tangible effect on gameplay, as picking out distant enemies is far more difficult with less than half the pixels available to render them. The fact that members of the gaming press didn't pick up on this is frankly a little shocking. Like I said, give me 5-10 seconds of footage for each version on a 1080p TV, and I promise I could pick them out every time. The 1080p image just has an immediately more "solid" look to it.

JpGYX.gif

Thats what I thought.

Image Quality is one of the most important aspects about graphics, so I think that the differences between Ps4 and XboxOne are pretty big.
Resolution and AA are probably the most important tech things after framerate.

Ambient80

I should also note, because someone is going to bring it up. The framerate differences.

The XB1 version of Ghosts runs about the same as the 360 version, which is to say, very smoothly 99% of the time.

The PS4 version doesn't run as smoothly, and the day of the PS4 launch I would even say the fluctuations were regularly noticeable. But over the past week there have already been several patches, and I can say I'm noticing far less drops today than I was a week ago. I'm now optimistic Infinity Ward is going to get this completely sorted out here soon.

So for now, the XB1 still holds a small advantage over the PS4 version when it comes to framerate, but it's getting better with each update, and as I stated in the OP, I would still choose to play the PS4 version due to the advantages mentioned.

Good to hear that they're patching it.

Great post, OP. I've only played Ghosts on PS3 (Where I found the graphics rendered it almost completely unplayable) and PS4. I haven't yet played the Xbox version but I'm loving the PS4 version so far.

TheHater

the fact that my 12 year old nephew notice the difference between 720P and 1080P is telling and the gaming media is full of shit.

That because the PS4 version run between 60FPS and 90FPS. IW needs to lock it at 60FPS. I don't notice notice it because my TV have a 240Hz refresh rate

I have to disagree. Xbox One version just works beautifully and frame rate is KING when it comes to COD games.

I've noticed far too many framerate drops on the PS4 version. They should lower the resolution to 900p and get the framerate right.

Sean*O

The PS4 version of this game has been treated very unfairly by the majority of the gaming press, particularly by that joke of an outfit over at polygon who gave it a lower score than the xbone version.

For a game to run over 2x the resolution on one system and also perform equally if not superior in every other aspect, only to be ignored or actually scored lower ... It just shows me which media outlets to ignore from here forward because they are either blind or pushing an agenda.

legacyzero

Banned
Framerate matters far more than resolution. Still waiting for the COD PS4 patch to fix the framerate.

What good is a high framerate if you can barely see shit more than 50 yards out?

I'll never understand this argument...

Yeah, I've been waiting for the PS4 version to be fixed before I consider it. I've been playing it on PC, and the game is a wreck.

But The gaming press will never take back what they said or their reviews imo. Swept under the rug to save face.

And they'll continue doing so. That's what they're paid to do, and until Sony has a significant lead, I doubt they'll stop their BS campaign. Heck weren't some of the press talking about how 1080p made Forza look amazing and playing that up? So it's important for just that one game, but any other game it doesn't matter. The bias is so clear.

What good is a high framerate if you can barely see shit more than 50 yards out?

I'll never understand this argument...

If the X1 didn't have a stable framerate, then it wouldn't matter either, you can be sure of that.

Steel

Banned

Wasn't the framerate problem on PS4 confirmed by Eurogamer as the framerate being too high?

spwolf

i think you missed the memo, where PS4 COD was above 60fps and that caused the issues with judder... it is not dropping any frames, but it is running significantly above 60fps and isnt locked.

Mononoke

Banned
Agree with OP. I don't understand how all these reviewers keep saying there is little difference. As someone that owns both systems it's pretty obvious PS4 looks much better in the graphics department. Games also install and load much quicker on PS4 yet no one seems to want to mention this.

But I love my Xbox One. Even thought the sharpening effects, crushed blacks and 720p make Dead Rising 3 look slightly better than a 360 release, it's still a lot more fun than any game I've played on ps4 (besides resogun). Same for Killer Instinct. Not impressed with the visuals, but so much fun. And I happen to love the UI and voice commands on X1. But in terms of a gaming machine (on a technical level), it's not contest for me that Xbox One has some issues.

But then again Ryse and Forza look great. So I guess well have to wait and see. But the multiplat performance is night and day between both systems.

coldfoot

Banned
i think you missed the memo, where PS4 COD was above 60fps and that caused the issues with judder... it is not dropping any frames, but it is running significantly above 60fps and isnt locked.
Yup and fixing that is extremely easy, just one line in a config file, compared to trying to optimize and get more performance from fixed hardware.

Pleasantly surprised to hear you like the PS4 controller better.

How do you feel about the actual game? I loved BLOPS 2, but I'm a pretty casual FPS player and not very good at them. I was going to get BF4 as a second shooter after Killzone, but I've been put off by the problems it's having and so now I'm reconsidering Ghosts. I've heard it's more of a long distance game now? Are the changes for the better? A lot of people seem down on it.

ymmv

Banned
The PS4 version of this game has been treated very unfairly by the majority of the gaming press, particularly by that joke of an outfit over at polygon who gave it a lower score than the xbone version.

For a game to run over 2x the resolution on one system and also perform equally if not superior in every other aspect, only to be ignored or actually scored lower ... It just shows me which media outlets to ignore from here forward because they are either blind or pushing an agenda.

In the case of Polygon, it's more than clear they're pushing an agenda. Giving lower marks to the superior version is shameful.

Fox Mulder

The gaming media is awful, which is why I ignore professional reviews completely.

I'd rather listen to user impressions like this and watch something like a quick look instead.

EGOMON

This is why i only listen to users review instead of journalist and gaming websites because they don't do it for money and they are not affected by corporate relationships, thank you OP for the informative post

scitek

Thanks for the impressions, but I just wanted to point out that the press was playing a 720p version of the game on PS4 pre-patch, hence why they couldn't tell any difference. It still doesn't excuse them not being able to tell it wasn't 1080p, since the aliasing is probably pretty obvious.

coldfoot

Banned
Thanks for the impressions, but I just wanted to point out that the press was playing a 720p version of the game on PS4 pre-patch, hence why they couldn't tell any difference. It still doesn't excuse them not being able to tell it wasn't 1080p, since the aliasing is probably pretty obvious.
The MP was always 1080p, which is what Polygon played.

ymmv

Banned
One question for the OP: why both versions? To satisfy your curiosity? To play with different groups of friends?

Discusguy

It would be great if the OP had off screen pics to go along with what he was posting about from both console. I guess now some will take his word for it and some won't.

kaskade

Going from 900p to 1080p with the assassins creed patch had a pretty big noticeable difference. Saying there is no difference between 720 and 1080 is a downright lie.

pixlexic

Banned
you should say for the 2 FPS games.

It has not bothered me in the slightest in KI or DR3.

Did we ever figure out AC4's resolution?

Rivals is 1080 on both consoles right? and the sports games?

Top Bottom