• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Respawn details Titanfall 2 changes due to feedback (Speed, Titan acquisition, more)

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
(sorry about the all caps title, I copied the blog title and forgot to edit) =]

Respawn just posted on the blog about the community feedback, some highlights below:

Over this past weekend, we’ve heard a lot of passionate feedback from Titanfall fans. Even though the Tech Test build is a couple months old, we learned some valuable things based on your feedback. Some of these changes have already been addressed and will be updated for weekend two of the tech test, with other changes making it into the final game.

Pilot Mobility

Many players are wondering why we changed the mobility from Titanfall 1. We identified two major issues we wanted to solve in Titanfall 2. The first is that a lack of player predictability would often cause players to be shot from the back or sides. While flanking is an important part of gameplay death often felt random instead of skillful. The second issue is that close range firefights were overly chaotic due to erratic player movement. So, changes to pilot mobility stemmed from a desire to improve our gunplay, and not a desire to slow down movement.

We’ll be tuning air speed and wall-running speed to be faster.

While investigating this point, we discovered some unintended side effects that were causing players to lose momentum while wallrunning.

Players should once again accumulate and retain more speed when chaining wallruns.

Additionally, we’re testing scaling back some of the dampening factors that were limiting bunny-hopping as we don’t want these restrictions to impact normal traversal.

Titan Meter

We made some changes in Titanfall 2 with the goal of rewarding players for playing game mode objectives. However, we observed the problem that players can try to play the objective but fail, resulting in slower than intended Titan acquisition. We still want objectives to be the fastest way to get a Titan, but the goal of every player being guaranteed a Titan per match hasn’t changed.

Pilots will once again acquire a small passive amount of Titan meter every few seconds.

Map Design

Some of our Tech Test players have asked if the relatively flat and open design of Homestead is indicative of a new direction for Titanfall, and the answer is no. When designing maps, we strive to make them unique experiences. For example, Homestead changes things up by creating islands of Pilot gameplay where long-range weapons can be effective. This upcoming weekend a new map, Forwardbase Kodai, will be available for play. There is a wide variety of maps for the final game.

We’ll be showcasing more maps over the next couple weeks on our website, including more traditional Titanfall maps.

Thanks again very much for participating in the first weekend of the Tech Test. We’re looking forward to hearing from more of you this weekend, as these tests are amazingly helpful in ensuring we have a successful launch. As you can see, your feedback is already being heard and impacting the final game, and we’ll be posting the updates for weekend two in our forums later this week: https://forums.titanfall.com/en-us/categories/game-updates. I also encourage you to read Jon “Slothy” Shiring’s blog on feedback we’ve received from the tech test in regards to server stability, you can check it out here http://www.titanfall.com/en_us/news/tech-test-successes/.

More at the link: http://www.titanfall.com/en_us/news/tech-test-and-feedback/

5taquitos

But what about that Swiss cheese?

Edit: I see the bolded about traditional maps, ignore this. Hope they feel right!

Lunar15

I'll definitely give it another shot. I want to make this work, dammit!

That said, we've got to see map design get much better as we get into the real game. My fear is that the maps were designed around the grapple being the crutch for movement and that going back to the old movement system won't really affect anything all that much.

i hate to be a downer about them listening to feedback but i just think its not for me from a fundamental point now. You still dont have the bots, the passive gain every second is nice but i HIGHLY doubt its at TF1 levels, the maps shown, if they are an indication of the others, are awful. theres other issues too. titan shields for instance. TTK.

from a design perspective, judging by the comments made by the game director (director?), just makes me think they arent making the titanfall sequel i wanted

Chobel

Holy shit! These are huge changes that could break the game, I didn't think the reception for tech test was this negative.

Cool.

Is there going to be a another beta after these changes are made? Cause even though what they are saying is good, im not willing to pay £40-50 until i know it's more than just words.

This is awesome. Way to actually listen to feedback Respawn. Hopefully the changes have a very noticeable effect. I'll hold off on deleting the TT now.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
One Titan per match is still not good enough in a game called TitanFall.

And two months is not nearly enough time to redo the maps. too little too late. the should have had the beta earlier in the year.

But, but I thought everything was fine? ;)

Just kidding, just kidding, I'm actually very happy to see fan feedback used in a positive way. Let's hope any other issues are ironed out before launch.

Just wondering it'd still be better to delay as as some issues perhaps will take more than a few weeks. (And I guess delaying it also helps with less competition).

i hate to be a downer about them listening to feedback but i just think its not for me from a fundamental point now. You still dont have the bots, the passive gain every second is nice but i HIGHLY doubt its at TF1 levels, the maps shown, if they are an indication of the others, are awful. theres other issues too. titan shields for instance. TTK.

from a design perspective, judging by the comments made by the game director (director?), just makes me think they arent making the titanfall sequel i wanted

A lot of people are forgetting this stuff, the announced adjustments are just the tip of the game's problems (to me at least)

shoreu

I still don't think the game will match up. I feel like they had a different feel for this game in mind and increasing movement speed won' t save it.

The game is out in a few months. They can tune the movespeed to be faster but everything being more simplified can't really be undone.

Chris1

Regarding pilot timer, are they also gonna remove losing points over time/on death?

I'm glad there's some traditional Titanfall maps, but I hope it's not like one or two.

ClarkZuckerberg

Neo Member
Awesome stuff! I enjoyed the technical test and was planning on getting the game anyways, but I'm glad these changes are being made because people clearly wanted them. Hope we can start getting some positive threads on this game now instead of the constant "is Titanfall 2 bad?" threads based on a 3 day technical test.

I am glad they are taking player feedback seriously. I haven't gotten the chance to try out Titanfall 2 yet, but all the negative/meh impressions left me really worried about it. I love Titanfall, and it was a shame to hear that it did not feel the same at all.

Regarding pilot timer, are they also gonna remove losing points over time/on death?

I'm glad there's some traditional Titanfall maps, but I hope it's not like one or two.

I think they are keeping the combo/streak orange bar bonus but also adding a percent every few seconds to the blue zone so after a while it will fill up.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
All sounds good.

Now, I need to wait for release to see if these maps were actually planned this way, or if this is a 'make suicide squad funny' post BvS reaction. Releasing a new map this weekend to the tech test would be a good move if they actually have more traditional maps out there.

This all puts things back on my radar.

Though, we need that AI back, but I think that may be a "having to pay for server time without free Azure" issue.

Also, Titan personal shields.

jet1911

Still don't have faith about their other maps after reading that "window pane three lines we must not confuse everyone :(:(:(:(" comment from that schacknews interview.

Like I said in the other thread, Respawn is pretty good about listening to their community. I can't wait to see how much the final product changes over time.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
These sound like good changes. I was actually okay with the new rodeo system, so I don't mind that staying the same.

Top Bottom