• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Respawn Entertainment: There Needs to be a "Fit to Screen" Option ASAP

Hobbesian

Banned
Hopefully, GAF is at least still lurked by some of these developers.

This should have been patched in the game yesterday. I have an issue with my HDTV (it's a 10 years old Panny Plasma) that sees about 4 inches of the bottom portion of my screen being dead. It's just a black bar. Typically, this isn't a problem with other games. Either there really isn't any vital information placed that far down the bottom of the screen, or the Options/Settings menu for the game allows me to resize the HUD or screen in general so I can fit all the necessary information needed onscreen.

Apex Legends has a ton of necessary information located at the bottom of the screen and I can't access any of it with the given Video options. I have to remember what guns look like because I can't see the names after picking them up, I can't see when my Tactical Ability is ready, I can't see my Shield and Health, I can't see what Secondary Weapons I have equipped. Nothing.

It's making it incredibly and unnecessarily difficult to find any success in this game because I constantly have to make guesstimations regarding vital information.

Please, Respawn. Fix this, ASAP. This is a pretty standard option in Video Games in 2019.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
What's wrong with your TV? As far as I know aspect ratios haven't changed in the past 10 years.

Hobbesian

Banned
What's wrong with your TV? As far as I know aspect ratios haven't changed in the past 10 years.

As I said in the OP - the bottom portion pixels of the screen are essentially dead. Just a long black bar towards the bottom that blocks images in that region.

Hobbesian

Banned
You want them to change the game because your TV is broken?

Did you read the OP? What does it matter if it's because the TV is broken? It's a standard option that you can find in most games in 2019. I've had this issue with my TV for two years and this is literally the first time it's been a problem because this particular game lacks a standard feature.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Did you read the OP? What does it matter if it's because the TV is broken? It's a standard option that you can find in most games in 2019. I've had this issue with my TV for two years and this is literally the first time it's been a problem because this particular game lacks a standard feature.
Yep I read it. some games allow you to adjust the image settings to sorta kinda work on your broken TV. This game doesn't and you're not happy about it and you want the developer to change the game just for you so that it will display correctly on your broken TV.

YayNJ

Banned
My old ass TV is broken! I demand you patch your game ASAP! :messenger_hushed:

I know GAF has a bit of a reputation for being tight with cash :messenger_tears_of_joy: but come on! You could probably get a newer TV for free, that works on a site like freecycle or similar.

Last edited:

Hobbesian

Banned
I forgot how pathetic and unsympathetic people generally are when it comes to this kind of stuff on this forum.

I'm sure they wouldn't see this thread here and for good reason.

Calling to close the thread.

TLZ

Banned
Dude, the way you did your title made me think Respawn said that. Put a ',' instead of ':'.

timmyp53

This is done on a system level on PS4 not on a game by basis if I recall.

Did you tinker with the display settings?

Last edited:
Yeah underscan/overscan can be fixed in system settings, even on the Switch. It's usually the screen resize option. Your old tv is a weird resolution, so you can shrink the image and you will get bars on sides but thats better than having the image cut off on top and bottom.

Justin9mm

Yeah it sucks that the game lacks a feature that is hindering your experience but one would expect your TV to be in proper working order, if your TV was working as intended this would not be an issue, this is no fault of the developer. I'm sorry but maybe it's time to upgrade that crappy 10 year old plasma. You obviously don't like or agree with this opinion because you want a way out without having to do anything to fix your own issue. Why should a developer have to do something to band aid fix your problem?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I forgot how pathetic and unsympathetic people generally are when it comes to this kind of stuff on this forum.

What do you honestly expect when you tell people you have a 10 year old TV using tech that is (sadly) no longer viable? Everything reaches a point where it needs to be replaced.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

Oh stop your crying. You have an outdated TV, why would *anyone* be sympathetic to you for that reason?

Chittagong

Gold Member
Come on now. OPs framing of the issue makes it sound specific to his broken TV but having played on many shitty hotel TVs in the last month, many TVs don’t show all the pixels on the edges.

Switch has a system level feature to scale the view area down. No reason why Apex Legends and other games can’t have it as a menu option.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'm dyslexic and read words backwards, can the devs stop being assholes and have all text pre-reversed so that I can read it the right way? Geez.

Woo-Fu

Banned
I can't find the "My TV is broken, please guess how and adjust accordingly option." in any of my 2019 games.

Yeah, people are being kind of dicks here. I play games all the time that ask me to adjust the screen in the game until the UI fits properly. I think your mistake was admitting to having a broken television, despite the fact that you probably play a lot of games that can accommodate your TV.

This really should be added to the game, and with all the other options in this game, I'm surprised it's not there already. It would also help a lot more people than just those with broken televisions.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
This thread:

U7iY7rjBQYWBY9XwlSB8_b2.0.gif

Seriously though, you have a ten year old TV that's been broken for two. This has nothing to do with Respawn. Game works fine on functional televisions as far as I can tell.

Aintitcool

Banned
You can sometimes change aspect ratio a bit in TV settings. My TV settings have "Original" and 16:9. And then some zoom options or 4:3.

Melubas

Hopefully, GAF is at least still lurked by some of these developers.

This should have been patched in the game yesterday. I have an issue with my HDTV (it's a 10 years old Panny Plasma) that sees about 4 inches of the bottom portion of my screen being dead. It's just a black bar. Typically, this isn't a problem with other games. Either there really isn't any vital information placed that far down the bottom of the screen, or the Options/Settings menu for the game allows me to resize the HUD or screen in general so I can fit all the necessary information needed onscreen.

Apex Legends has a ton of necessary information located at the bottom of the screen and I can't access any of it with the given Video options. I have to remember what guns look like because I can't see the names after picking them up, I can't see when my Tactical Ability is ready, I can't see my Shield and Health, I can't see what Secondary Weapons I have equipped. Nothing.

It's making it incredibly and unnecessarily difficult to find any success in this game because I constantly have to make guesstimations regarding vital information.

Please, Respawn. Fix this, ASAP. This is a pretty standard option in Video Games in 2019.

Wouldn't your tv have this option in display settings? All of mine has.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Yeah, people are being kind of dicks here. I play games all the time that ask me to adjust the screen in the game until the UI fits properly. I think your mistake was admitting to having a broken television, despite the fact that you probably play a lot of games that can accommodate your TV.

This really should be added to the game, and with all the other options in this game, I'm surprised it's not there already. It would also help a lot more people than just those with broken televisions.
People aren’t being dicks here. They’re just telling the OP what his request is: ridiculous. A broken TV needs to get replaced. Simple as that. If OP can’t afford it, then get another job and save up. There are some great TVs to be had in the $600 - $800 range. Some even cheaper but less good.

In regards to adding features to a game: You do realize there is a cost to creating patches and adding in game features. Patches have to be developed and then tested to make sure they’re stable. That isn’t free.

Why should developers spend $1000s of dollars in labor to patch in something that applies to almost nobody.

Sorry, but OPs request was ridiculous and it needed to be called out as such.

People aren’t being dicks here. They’re just telling the OP what his request is: ridiculous. A broken TV needs to get replaced. Simple as that. If OP can’t afford it, then get another job and save up. There are some great TVs to be had in the $600 - $800 range. Some even cheaper but less good.

In regards to adding features to a game: You do realize there is a cost to creating patches and adding in game features. Patches have to be developed and then tested to make sure they’re stable. That isn’t free.

Why should developers spend $1000s of dollars in labor to patch in something that applies to almost nobody.

Sorry, but OPs request was ridiculous and it needed to be called out as such.

Also, the game is going to get updates all the time, and I am not going to pretend for even a moment that I know how difficult or expensive a screen adjustment feature would be to implement, but you probably shouldn't either. It might be really easy and cheap, or there might be a lot more to it. Either way, it's in a LOT of games, and it's in those games because people owning televisions where part of the UI is otherwise not displayed properly on the screen is a common occurrence. Respawn also added a ton of features to Titanfall 2 after it launched. Adding something like this for them would hardly be unprecedented.

Last edited:

lucius

TV’s dont last that long anymore you are fortunate you got 10 years, TCL has great budget TV’s , I like it more than the Panasonic plasma that we had that lasted like 8 years.

Shin

Banned
There is something wrong with your TV and not the game, that's what they'll say at the end of the day.
Also TV's used to have a zoom function and what's not, if yours doesn't then once again I'm not sure the request is reasonable.
As one would be asking developers to detect dead pixel and adjust the screen accordingly, not a wide spread problem and would cost more than it's worth it (to them).
Electronics break, on the the positive side getting 10 years out of it is quite a feat., be happy it wasn't or isn't worse.

In conclusion you're asking too much, even though you'd like to see it otherwise one need to be realistic that it won't be happening.

Virex

Banned
OP you can buy a new TV for very cheap. Even bottom of the range will be better than your 10 year old plasma.

There is something wrong with your TV and not the game, that's what they'll say at the end of the day.
Also TV's used to have a zoom function and what's not, if yours doesn't then once again I'm not sure the request is reasonable.
As one would be asking developers to detect dead pixel and adjust the screen accordingly, not a wide spread problem and would cost more than it's worth it (to them).
Electronics break, on the the positive side getting 10 years out of it is quite a feat., be happy it wasn't or isn't worse.

In conclusion you're asking too much, even though you'd like to see it otherwise one need to be realistic that it won't be happening.

What are you people even talking about? Many, if not most games these days ask if you want to adjust the size of your screen. It's a feature seen in games constantly.

Shin

Banned
What are you people even talking about? Many, if not most games these days ask if you want to adjust the size of your screen. It's a feature seen in games constantly.
If the game doesn't ship with a calibration mode (which is what you're talking about) then sure the OP has a point, but his wording make it sound like something else.
As I said most Tv's since the longest I can remember have a zoom function also, which isn't just zooming in but rather provide different aspect ratio's to go about the problem he's facing.
If neither of those apply then we could say he has some bad luck OR Respawn could have added the calibration mode (plus in general more options for people with handicaps in games should be a thing as well).

ReBurn

Gold Member
Come on now. OPs framing of the issue makes it sound specific to his broken TV but having played on many shitty hotel TVs in the last month, many TVs don’t show all the pixels on the edges.

Switch has a system level feature to scale the view area down. No reason why Apex Legends and other games can’t have it as a menu option.
A lot of those cheap hotel tv's were "HD ready 720p" with a resolution of 1248×702. They suffered from overscan issues that most consoles don't scale to. They just cut off areas of the screen.

It's great that Switch has hardware scaling support for non-standard resolutions, but it's not reasonable to expect that a developer will build this feature into software because Nintendo does it in hardware. It's hardly a proper comparison.

Norse

Grab your parents lawnmower and go offer to mow lawns in your neighborhood for cash. Save cash until you can buy replacement tv.

Also, Panasonic plasmas have a screen sizer in settings that lets you adjust height and width. That would be your best option as it would fix all video sources at once.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
As I said in the OP - the bottom portion pixels of the screen are essentially dead. Just a long black bar towards the bottom that blocks images in that region.
But somehow the developer has to fix a personal problem.
NewsSuggest_4428Z7YC.png

Did you read the OP? What does it matter if it's because the TV is broken?
It makes the difference between a proper OP and a dumb OP, like this one is.
ellen.png

Its more like you exposed yourself with your own OP and then act surprised that people figure this out.

4a4.gif

OP fished for a tag and caught a ban.
Its never a clever attempt if you know what i mean. Its always some dumb story that tries way too hard.

Seems such a bizarre endgame to strive for as a GAF user.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Top Bottom