• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Respawn is Too Busy to Work on Titanfall 3

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

According to community coordinator Jason Garza, there is nothing related to Titanfall currently in the works. He was asked for any comments on Titanfall, broadly, during a September 20 livestream. His response was pretty forward: “Don’t get your hopes up, man. I’ve said this before. We don’t have anything in the works. There’s nothing. There’s nothing there. We’ve got too many other games in the works right now.”

Indeed, it does seem that Respawn has a lot of games currently in development. Apex Legends, as always, is constantly getting support, while EA itself all but officially confirmed Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order 2 during an earnings call. There’s even talk of a smaller team out of Respawn Entertainment working on a new IP, with no apparent room for Titanfall 3.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

It's really sad considering how much was put into 2, but it was overlooked at the time due to other releases. TF was a pretty cool series, but I guess that's really it...

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I'm sad about it, but they've been saying the equivalent of this for a long time. Simple fact is that their other projects were/are much more successful than the Titanfall franchise.

Barakov

It's sad but I get it. They're better off working on Apex and Fallen Order 2. Games people actually want to play should be the focus for them. TF1 and 2 are great but if the audience isn't there then they're better off doing other stuff.

Saiyan-Rox

IheOx3.gif

Kerotan

The last great shooter campaign from the guys who created the cod4 masterpiece. The sad reality of a developer finding mega success with an online only title.

At least they are still making star wars.

MrFunSocks

Banned
After how they butchered titanfall with 2, I dont have any faith in them making a good titanfall 3. They'd just chase whatever the current trend is - it would be a free to play BR with respawns and dances.

Titanfall 1 is one of my favourite and most played games of all time. Titanfall 2 was trash in comparison. Unless they go back to titanfall 1 style then the franchise can stay dead.

Steam 24 hour peak players
Titanfall 2 - 1,747
Apex Legends - 234,515

And TF2 sold very well on Steam. It has over 70k reviews. But it just doesn't have the staying power of Apex.
It sold well when it was on one of its monthly firesales for $2.

Last edited:

Roni

Gold Member
They could do what they wanted, huh?

I'm sure all those devs who grew up during the golden age of gaming are just thrilled to be working on MTX-ridden GaaS.

CamHostage

They could do what they wanted, huh?

I'm sure all those devs who grew up during the golden age of gaming are just thrilled to be working on MTX-ridden GaaS.

...and getting paid well, and having job security, and having a verified legion of satisfied fans on all major platforms interested in every micro-release and player adjustment you make, every season, for 2+ years and no sign of slowing, while investment in that success flows into the potential for new products on other massive franchises like Star Wars where your team's brand is front-and-center on the box alongside EA and Lucasfilm as a bonafide reason consumers should put money down for a possible next product, yet with or without a future product your MTX-ridden GaaS is an attraction at esports events and broadcasting at all times of the day on game streams for tourneys and new content in a seaming neverending lifespan of the product?

Yeah, fuckin' sucks!

Last edited:

wipeout364

Respawn can work in the Star Wars universe now, as well as access to the entire EA catalog, not surprised they are not working on Titanfall 3. Titanfall 2 was one of my favorite campaigns of last gen, but the game bombed and I suspect the Apex legends player base may not translate to a hit titanfall 3 game.

CamHostage

2 flops doesn't warrant a 3rd flop.

Titanfall supposedly moved 10M copies, so you wouldn't label it a flop.

TF2 did like 4M across 3 platforms, which was under estimates and probably not good against its budget. So less than half the sales with an expansion of platforms (although TF1 was on 360, so technically, 3 platforms and 3 platforms, but the sequel sought an expansion of the user base) and the addition of a complete campaign, it's not that hard to do the math why TF3 wasn't immediately greenlit.

Plus, Apex hit big, so mission accomplished as far as the team putting out a product that the audience was interested in. (Still surprised that franchise has never dropped a Titan in there, but it'd be a weird fit for how Apex is supposed to be played.)

I like TF2 and it gets good notices sometimes on GAF and elsewhere, but I didn't even know TitanFall had a lasting fanbase until the hackers lit a fire trying "save" it.

Last edited:

CamHostage

How fucking stupid was it to sandwich it right between battlefield and call of duty, THEN BITCH THAT IT DIDN’T SELL WELL? Those fuckers

I don't know, on a scale of 1-10 of stupid, maybe a 5, maybe 6, maybe more?

EA had a habit of putting its same-genre products next to each other (I remember Need for Speed and Burnout came out close to each other and drafted one another in preview coverage, Timesplitters FP and Goldeneye were I think going to be in a Christmas but then TS got shifted, Anthem and Apex Legends released within a few days of each other, they do it all the time with their EA Sports games, Dragon Age and C&C4 came out the same day it looks like... EA just targets big days were consumers are likely to be out, and sometimes it worked for them. Granted, it seems to make obvious sense that you shouldn't release a multiplayer game around the same time two other massive multiplayer games hit, but I'd be curious to see any data that actually verified what's good and/or bad spacing for releasing a product. EA wouldn't have published products on top of each other like that so often if they didn't think the data supported it being a viable release strategy, and although Titanfall 2 wasn't EA's biggest baby or a core brand (this was only #2 in the series, and Respawn was not owned by EA at the time,) they had interest in making it a success by whichever way they thought would work best.

TF2 had trouble igniting much buzz before it hit as far as I recall, so I don't know if it was just bad timing or if it was just not going to ever spark. Maybe moving it to early 2017 could have helped (where it would only have needed to compete with RE7, Tales of Beseria, Yakuza 0, Nioh, For Honor, Horizon Zero Dawn, Ghost Recon Wildlands, Nier Automata, Mass Effect Andromeda, Zelda BOTW and the Nintendo Switch release... goddamned calendars!), but maybe it just wasn't going to happen.

Last edited:
I'm happy with a Fallen Order 2. First one was brilliant. Bring it. I also love Apex. Bring more of that. I would also like a Titanfall 3 solo/coop campaign please.

Banned
Titanfall 2 was packed to the gills with microtransactions. Actual DLC got overlooked for just adding more paid skins.

there are like 3 or 4 skin packs for TF2 that's it. it might come across as more because you can buy individual skins separately but in general there are 3 or 4 packs, I can't remember the exact number

Last edited:

Banned

Go down to add ons. I count 16 add ons that are all just skins and cosmetics.

but like I said, they are split into single items, but it's technically just 4 big packs (you can get most of the Titan Skins in a bundle pack, but you can also just buy them individually), but even then... cosmetic 16 DLCs is not that much compared to basically any other shooter nowadays. even back then it was among the least a game of that type had.

Last edited:

WitchHunter

West and Zampella went back to EA, to be shackled to Apex Legends in the basement. They get some bread and water once daily. Battlefield has priority amongst FPSes at EA, they will never make another MW2 like game again. BTW compared to MW2, TF2 gameplay was shit.

Last edited:

Sacred

Translation: We are making far too much money on Apex and it's micro-transactions to even think about another Titanfall game, which is most wanted by their loyal and dedicated fanbase.

Translation: We are making far too much money on Apex and it's micro-transactions to even think about another Titanfall game, which is most wanted by their loyal and dedicated fanbase.
The fanbase that didn't buy the game? *rollseyes* . Also, the team were able to make Star Wars Fallen Order and Apex at the same time. So I'm willing to bet that the Fall Order line is working on another game, yet to be shown off

Last edited:

Neolombax

Shame. I spent quite a bit on TF2 buying the cosmetics to support the game. Its one of the better MP experiences for me.

ZywyPL

Banned
That's what you get for turning a online game into single player.

Fuck those morons who asked for it. Titanfall were great.

That SP campaign was one of the best FPS released in decades. It's nobody's fault they screwed up the MP part so badly that everyone who gave the game a try despite that awful launch window dropped it after just a few weeks at best.

GymWolf

I take a much improved sequel of jedi fallen over any titanfall tbh.

The campaign for the second one was kinda great but too short and easy, but i never cared for the multyplayer.

JoeBudden

If you guys actually played Apex Legends and saw the bullshit Respawn pulls, you wouldn't think so highly of them or ask for another Titanfall game.

TF2 was overrated.

It was a reasonably good shooter with a fantastic premise and setting, with some genius mechanics, that were all criminally underutilised by the entertaining but overall fairly shallow narrative.

The Source engine too, however updated, just wasn't up-to-date in terms of the graphical quality standards at the time of both TF and TF2's releases. They should have built their game in UE and advanced their tech upwards from there.

AJUMP23

TF2 was overrated.

It was a reasonably good shooter with a fantastic premise and setting, with some genius mechanics, that were all criminally underutilised by the entertaining but overall fairly shallow narrative.

The Source engine too, however updated, just wasn't up-to-date in terms of the graphical quality standards at the time of both TF and TF2's releases. They should have built their game in UE and advanced their tech upwards from there.
Game was Fantastic and Genius, and also overrated.

Aaron Paul What GIF by Breaking Bad

Top Bottom