• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Respawn is Too Busy to Work on Titanfall 3

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Eva Green Drama GIF by STARZ

I just didn't think your juxtaposition of a take was accurate. Story is good, gameplay and mechanics are amazing. An 89 critic score and an 8.5 user score seems spot on, and not overrated.

Roni

Gold Member
...and getting paid well, and having job security, and having a verified legion of satisfied fans on all major platforms interested in every micro-release and player adjustment you make, every season, for 2+ years and no sign of slowing, while investment in that success flows into the potential for new products on other massive franchises like Star Wars where your team's brand is front-and-center on the box alongside EA and Lucasfilm as a bonafide reason consumers should put money down for a possible next product, yet with or without a future product your MTX-ridden GaaS is an attraction at esports events and broadcasting at all times of the day on game streams for tourneys and new content in a seaming neverending lifespan of the product?

Yeah, fuckin' sucks!
For the wage man, it does. All I've seen you write is perks for the owners.

Keep hitting that lever, you'll win it big eventually too.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Todo busy doing what?.

counting-money-im-rich.gif

"Respawn has obviously driven the amazing development of Apex, but they've partnered with us extremely well to drive what is now -- it's coming up to almost $2 billion in business over 2 years. That's unheard of in our industry." -
EA Chief Financial Officer Blake Jorgensen

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

In recent days, something rather surprising has been popping up in GameStop stores across Germany. Over on Reddit, one user posted a picture of a placeholder box for Titanfall 3. Other users soon chimed in, saying they were given the option to pre-order the game at several GameStops all over the country. Considering that most people have thought that Respawn's work in the Star Wars video game universe meant no Titanfall 3 for quite some time, the ability to preorder the game has certainly surprised some.

The option to preorder seems to be confirmed in the picture, considering that the text directly below the placeholder box translates to "preorder now." It should be pointed out that the other placeholder boxes featured in the picture on Reddit are games that have either been confirmed as coming at some point even if a release date hasn't been announced, as is the case for FIFA 23.

DonF

In recent days, something rather surprising has been popping up in GameStop stores across Germany. Over on Reddit, one user posted a picture of a placeholder box for Titanfall 3. Other users soon chimed in, saying they were given the option to pre-order the game at several GameStops all over the country. Considering that most people have thought that Respawn's work in the Star Wars video game universe meant no Titanfall 3 for quite some time, the ability to preorder the game has certainly surprised some.

The option to preorder seems to be confirmed in the picture, considering that the text directly below the placeholder box translates to "preorder now." It should be pointed out that the other placeholder boxes featured in the picture on Reddit are games that have either been confirmed as coming at some point even if a release date hasn't been announced, as is the case for FIFA 23.

Dont give me hope. I love respawn, I hated Jedi fallen order, I think is trash, but Titanfall and apex are *chef kiss* and tf|2 particularly is a gem.

Boss Mog

That's what you get for turning a online game into single player.

Fuck those morons who asked for it. Titanfall were great.
Yeah, no, Titanfall 2's campaign was the best FPS campaign of that generation. The game was fantastic on both the single player and multiplayer ends. The game is very well rated by both the press and the players. The timing of the release is what hurt it.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Hey Respawn, if it's true TF3 is coming out make sure to take a minute out of your busy schedule and dont set a release date sandwiched between BF and COD.

OldBoyGamer

Banned
Ive always Wondered why TF2 didn’t do well at the box office.

People point to the release calendar and sandwiching it between two huge FPSs. I do think that played a major part. But it feels to me like TF2 had a lot of traction post release. Word of mouth was and still is incredibly positive.

My secondary take wonders if the mixed genre (for want of a better word) caused it to be difficult to pigeon hole so casuals and mid core casuals weren’t sure what the game was.

I always thought TF2 was a mech game but it isn’t. You play about 70% of the game as a human pilot. Even one of Respawns own designers defined the game as one where ‘you play as a pilot with super human abilities who sometimes pilots a giant mech. (Or words to that affect).

When I first played the game I didn’t like it. The start isn’t great in general imo but I was like ‘where’s my mech?’ And then when I finally get it, within minutes I’m out of it already and back running around as a human again.

It took me a while to understand the game. Once I did, I got into it and it turned into a really very good linear FPS action game with yeh, some brilliant mechanics.

Add to the fact that TF1 *was* a pure mech game. I just wonder what the impact of that was. Especially considering that the mass demographic can struggle with mixed or complex game genres.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Yeah, no, Titanfall 2's campaign was the best FPS campaign of that generation. The game was fantastic on both the single player and multiplayer ends. The game is very well rated by both the press and the players. The timing of the release is what hurt it.
NRhO8Zh.jpg

As a person that primarily plays multiplayer, played the first for 223 hours, the sequel for 31 hours before dropping it. That's multiplayer only, without never touching the single player.

It had less multiplayer content and it really suffered from having a single player campaign.

It's fine people like the campaign, but as a fan of the prequel it was a downgrade in any way.

People that praised it are probably people who didn't play the first game and doesn't care about multiplayer.

It's like turning god of war into multiplayer only and people praising it for that doesn't mean the fans of the prequels would enjoy it.

Last edited:
As a person that primarily plays multiplayer, played the first for 223 hours, the sequel for 31 hours before dropping it. That's multiplayer only, without never touching the single player.
The movement is what made Titanfall 2 amazing, IMO. Could you do anything like this in the first? I always got the impression that the movement was even better in the sequel, and there were more options for pilots, but fewer options to customize Titans which turned some people off.

ZywyPL

Banned
Titanfall 2 should have been what Titanfall 1 was. 2 was such a good game, GREAT campaign, fun, creative. And the multiplayer was massively underappreciated.

TF1 was a vastly superior MP experience than TF1, all it really needed was more maps and guns, and more actual players instead of AI grunts.

Ive always Wondered why TF2 didn’t do well at the box office.

It was released right in between CoD and BF which were HUGE at the time, EA basically killed the game before it even launched. Plus the open beta few weeks before launch pushed away many people, who just wanted TF1 with more content, but instead the game was completely redesigned, with lot of BS nobody asked for and Titans disappearing in seconds. It was basically the exact same transition as CoD4->MW2, where people wanted just more of the same, but got some abomination instead. But it's the same devs, so kind of makes sense they made the same mistake again.

The_Mike

The movement is what made Titanfall 2 amazing, IMO. Could you do anything like this in the first? I always got the impression that the movement was even better in the sequel, and there were more options for pilots, but fewer options to customize Titans which turned some people off.

It was also a feature in Titanfall 1. Parkour and mechs, so it wasn't a new feature in Titanfall 2.

So,as I said, a pure downgrade.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned

NRhO8Zh.jpg

It had less multiplayer content and it really suffered from having a single player campaign.

It's fine people like the campaign, but as a fan of the prequel it was a downgrade in any way.

People that praised it are probably people who didn't play the first game and doesn't care about multiplayer.

It's like turning god of war into multiplayer only and people praising it for that doesn't mean the fans of the prequels would enjoy it.

IMHO the best outcome would be if TF3 = TF1 MP + TF2 SP. Honestly that's really what has to happen if the game wants bto be successful, I just can't imagine anything else.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
u mean PS2 era. Before Battlefield/COD got ruined. COD took a nosedive with COD 4. and BF took a nosedive with BF1.

but BF 2 Modern Combat and COD 2 Big Red One are better than BF 2042 and whatever god awful COD is new

PS2 had good fps games? TF2 is mad overrated. Cant wait for JFO part Two.

It was also a feature in Titanfall 1. Parlour and mechs, so it wasn't a new feature in Titanfall 2.
That's not really what what I was getting at. I'm aware you could still wall run and such in the first game, but I was wondering if the movement was improved. Just the grapple hook alone, if it wasn't in the first game, would add quite a lot to the movement. From the videos that I can find, the movement in Titanfall 1 looks slower and less skillful, but I haven't played the game so I could be mistaken.

The_Mike

TF2 had the same stuff + more stuff, including a killer sp campaign. How is that a downgrade?
Base Titanfall had 15 maps, the second had 9.

Try to explain to me how that is the same content for me as an online gamer who doesn't care about the Singleplayer game. That's a straight up downgrade regarding content.

Spaceman292

Banned
Base Titanfall had 15 maps, the second had 9.

Try to explain to me how that is the same content for me as an online gamer who doesn't care about the Singleplayer game. That's a straight up downgrade regarding content.
Okay I didn't count up the number of maps. But that's not really a huge difference.

S0ULZB0URNE

Titanfall 2 should have been what Titanfall 1 was. 2 was such a good game, GREAT campaign, fun, creative. And the multiplayer was massively underappreciated.
Titanfall 2 actually has a campaign unlike the piss poor mode they called a campaign in Titanfall 1.

Multiplayer in 2 was also improved.
You sure you played them?

S0ULZB0URNE

NRhO8Zh.jpg

So you didn't play much TF2 and are making a comparison opinion?

z6ExUST.gif

The_Mike

The merchs were nerfed compared to the first. In 1 they were a powerhouse, in the second it seems like more like a gimmick when comparing raw power.

The maps in the original (I know some are ported over) were superior to the second. The maps went from really balanced and well designed to maps that more or less feels like filler and forgettable.

Theres more weapons and mechs in the second, but it still feels like they added more just to add more. The few weapons in the first were like classes, balanced up against each other, and each had a different role.
Now there's more weapons that does the same job.

TF2 just grew old too fast. Many boring maps, too few maps in the rotation.

The_Mike

So you didn't play much TF2 and are making a comparison opinion?

z6ExUST.gif

He doesn't know because he hasn't played much of TF2.

My guess is he got smoked when he tried and unistalled it.
So because I got bored with the game and didn't play it for over 200 hours compared to the first, then I am not allowed to have an opinion?

I've had you on my maybe ignore list for so long with your fanboy cringe posts, but I'm done with you clowning around.

By the way, a clown in the US gets around 50k a year, and the most sad part is you probably do it for free.

S0ULZB0URNE

So because I got bored with the game and didn't play it for over 200 hours compared to the first, then I am not allowed to have an opinion?

I've had you on my maybe ignore list for so long with your fanboy cringe posts, but I'm done with you clowning around.

By the way, a clown in the US gets around 50k a year, and the most sad part is you probably do it for free.
You didn't play much.
Clowning for free?
Keep posting as you are doing a incredible job 👏

Roberts

Titanfall 1 MP was one of the very few bright spots during the early dark days of XO. I played the shit out of it and I rarely ever play competetive mp. It simply felt special. I played TF2 multiplayer for a few hours and quit. It didn’t feel like a natural progression of what they built in the first game and I wasn’t interested in what they had instead. I also totally understand that people love TF2 mp, especially if they hadn’t played TF1. There is no reason to shout at each other for that.

Camreezie

I thought they were just supporting Apex and making a sequel to Fallen Order. I'd sacrifice either for Titanfall 3

Game was Fantastic and Genius, and also overrated.

Aaron Paul What GIF by Breaking Bad

Your reading comprehension sucks.

Mechanics =/= the game
Story =/= the game

It's actually possible to rate certain aspects of a game as top tier and yet the overall be dragged down by other aspects that are severely flawed.

I can tell that critical thinking is really hard for some of you on Gaf.

Top Bottom