• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Respawn: "Mech is kind of a dirty word with us. We don't like it."

sublimit

Banned
From Mecha Damashii:
In a recent interview with Game Informer, Respawn’s Vince Zampella said something disappointing and worrying in equal measure regarding the mecha in Titanfall.
The main quote being “Mech is kind of a dirty word with us, we don’t like it. These aren’t mechs” (screenshot above). Despite the very obvious and widely acknowledged aspects that define the game’s Titans as mecha, it seems that this is another attempt by a game studio to re-brand mecha as something else and new (though with Hawken, Adhesive to their credit did change their tune). This is likely intended as a means to distance the game from any form of Japanese inspiration. Doing the typical American thing of making out that this was some kind of immaculate creative conception, which in itself is still worthy of copious eye rolling.
http://www.mechadamashii.com/news/news-titanfalls-mecha-arent-mecha-apparently/

In the same interview Vince Zampella continues saying:
"These things aren't mechs.They are something totally new and different.The Titans are really an extension of the player.They are bigger,they are heavily armored,and they give you kind of a second life but they are agile,fun,and fast.They can dodge.It's not a feeling of something slow and lumbering.It really is an extension of you.You lose a little bit of agility because you can't jump,but on the ground these thingsare super agile tanks."

Anteater

"These things aren't mechs.They are something totally new and different.The Titans are really an extension of the player.They are bigger,they are heavily armored,and they give you kind of a second life but they are agile,fun,and fast.They can dodge.It's not a feeling of something slow and lumbering.It really is an extension of you.You lose a little bit of agility because you can't jump,but on the ground these thingsare super agile tanks."

wow kind of like the evangelions :D

Interfectum

So.... they're mechs.

Dragon

Banned
Yeah uh, no Respawn. They are mechs.

What else would you call a mechanical construct in the form of a humanoid?

-griffy-

Banned
This is like when people get all snotty about zombies not being zombies but "infected" or whatever (like 28 Days Later). Right, they're not "zombies," but they are zombies.

These are mechs.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
His description there seems much more like he's comparing them to MechWarrior type Mechs, not something out of anime. In fact, his description sounds exactly like the sort of thing you'd find in anime. Maybe it's just what I've been exposed to, but "slow and lumbering" doesn't describe any Japanese game/anime style mechs I can remember.

This is likely intended as a means to distance the game from any form of Japanese inspiration.

If I hear Mechs in a game I think Mech Warrior style gameplay.

Shogo, Hawken and a couple others withstanding..

Saying you have Mechs in your game carries weight that they probably don't want.

I don't blame them for not wanting to bring the Mechs are agile fight to an audience largely ignorant of them.

Mikey Jr.

Dude bros hearing "mechs" are probably going to be turned off, thats why they are trying to distance themselves.

I'll still be calling them mechs because thats what they fucking are.

slade

So they're Gundams that don't fly.

Darryl

Banned
hearing "mechs is a dirty word" is a dirty phrase. nothing wrong with mechs, i thought that was a highlight of the game...

Top Bottom