• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Respawn on why it used Unreal Engine 4 instead of Source Engine or Frostbite Engine for Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order

CyberPanda

Banned
Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order is the next game from Respawn, the team behind the Titanfall series. The Titanfall games were powered by the Source Engine so a lot of gamers were wondering why Respawn decided to use Epic’s engine for this new Star Wars game. Thankfully, game director Stig Asmussen and Respawn’s CEO Vince Zampella have shed some light and explained why the team decided to use this particular engine.

Stig Asmussen claimed that it wasn’t a matter of choice as when Respawn started building the team for its new project – which at the time was not related to Star Wars – they had to create a game from the ground up and Unreal Engine 4 seemed like the better choice.

“There were a couple of other options out there, and remember we weren’t part of EA at this point so Frostbite wasn’t even an option, so I started taking around with it and was “Wow this is really powerful for what an individual developer can do with it, imagine what a whole team can do with it”. So we just pushed forward with it and we are very happy with the decision.”
Vince Zampella re-confirmed Asmussen’s claims, stating that they were hiring a new team and it was easier to find people that were familiar with Unreal Engine 4 than with other engines like the Source Engine.

“It made sense for the team, you know. So we are hiring up for a new team. It’s easier to find people that have Unreal Engine 4 experience, it was an engine that fit what we were kind of trying to do, instead of trying to adapt the Source Engine over. In evaluating all the engines that were available to us this is the one that the team felt it was the best choice.”
It’s also interesting noting that both Asmussen and Zampella claimed that they were not forced to start using the Frostbite Engine – when Respawn joined Electronic Arts – and even if Frostbite Engine was a choice, the team would still evaluate and decide what engine suited the game it was preparing to create best.

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order is currently planned for a November 15th release.

GamesAreFun

Banned
Interesting, makes sense if most of the developers were new. Unreal Engine has better documentation than Source from what I've seen. Pity it doesn't use Frostbite, I like the crisp "look" some of their games achieve.

Barakov

Gold Member
It seems more than a few developers have had more than a few problems with frostbite so going with a sure bet like UE4 makes a lot of sense. Especially if there a lot of new developers on your team.

Kumomeme

Interesting, makes sense if most of the developers were new. Unreal Engine has better documentation than Source from what I've seen. Pity it doesn't use Frostbite, I like the crisp "look" some of their games achieve.

didnt you read amy heaning's interview regarding of his cancelled uncharted style star wars game? frostbite apparently pain in the ass to work...for fps it really good..but not for other genre no..the problem present since dragon quest inquisition development where they had trouble even developing inventory system...for the cancelled uncharted style star wars game, it doesnt even had feature capable to pull of hide behind cover and shoot mechanic like uncharted..thats what amy said though and i heard it even had animation tool issue

mass effect andromeda, and latest anthem is one of the casualties

Last edited:

keraj37

We can say whatever against Frostbite, but it is worth noting that the best looking games to date are made with it.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
Last edited:

xool

It's odd how an engine can have a look, but it's true what you say..

Maybe it's more to do with how EA's internal art pipeline works, rather than anything to do with frostbite.

Or the resolution/AA/texturesize decisions made.

Can anyone shed light on this ?

Hudo

Ah, I was wondering whether the game was running on Source. I got the impression from the demo that it was either very heavily modified or a new engine altogether. Makes sense to choose Unreal for this. I am still sad that Valve somehow have forgotten about Source 2 (for other devs). Would've loved to dive into a proper SDK with a new Hammer editor etc.

It's one of the more optimized engines I've ever experienced. Why would one consider it a pile of crap?
I've only seen one UE4 that looks decent (gow4) and none that performs good. The moment a game switches to UE4 you can expect average graphics and below average performance.

It's one of the more optimized engines I've ever experienced. Why would one consider it a pile of crap?
Judging by how its games perform id say it has high CPU overhead for starters.

I wouldn't call it a pile of crap (like ue3 kinda was for everything except gears) but it should only be used if you can't create your own tools.

Last edited:
Judging by how its games perform id say it has high CPU overhead for starters.

I wouldn't call it a pile of crap (like ue3 kinda was for everything except gears) but it should only be used if you can't create your own tools.
Comparatively, Frostbite's CPU usage is through the roof. As far as games go

I've only seen one UE4 that looks decent (gow4) and none that performs good. The moment a game switches to UE4 you can expect average graphics and below average performance.

FFVII Remake, Batman Arkham Knight, Gears of War, Mortal Kombat, Injustice, Street Fighter V, Bioshock, Vampyr all use Unreal Engine.

vkbest

FFVII Remake, Batman Arkham Knight, Gears of War, Mortal Kombat, Injustice, Street Fighter V, Bioshock, Vampyr all use Unreal Engine.

FF VII Remake is not out yet.
Batman Arkham Knight is UE3 not 4
Street Fighter 5 have dithering on PS4 despite simple graphics.
Bioshock is UE3 too
Injustice 2 is UE3 too
Vampyr is pure shit in graphics, poor performance in consoles too

Last edited:

mrMUR_96

It's odd how an engine can have a look, but it's true what you say..

Maybe it's more to do with how EA's internal art pipeline works, rather than anything to do with frostbite.

Or the resolution/AA/texturesize decisions made.

Can anyone shed light on this ?
Well different engines have their own way of dealing with rendering. Most engines defintitley have their own "look" so to speak. It was more noticeable last gen imo before pbr was becoming mainstream.

Frostbite is fine. Bioware's problem was their incompetent management and their requirement to start from scratch every time. All the work done on one project, RPG elements, third person etc. was thrown away when they started with the next game. Same with Andromeda, same with Anthem. They basically admitted it.

FFVII Remake: not out , cant judge
Batman Arkham Knight: It uses UE3 not 4.
Gears of War, Bioshock: poor remakes, check RE2 instead.
Mortal Kombat, Injustice:, Street Fighter V they look ok I guess just fighting games.
Vampyr: average to poor graphics and performance.

When used properly, frostbite looks and runs great. It seems more to do with poor documentation and other studios apart from dice having issues with its' flexilbity.
I haven't been impressed with dice since 6th gen honestly their tech is overrated

Now rallisport challenge 2 on Xbox, that was wizardry

Kumomeme

FF VII Remake is not out yet.
Batman Arkham Knight is UE3 not 4
Street Fighter 5 have dithering on PS4 despite simple graphics.
Bioshock is UE3 too
Injustice 2 is UE3 too
Vampyr is pure shit in graphics, poor performance in consoles too

from what i heard, UE4 at launch had 80% new code ..basically complete new engine compared to UE3..and thats few years ago

it also depend on devs how to utilize it

Top Bottom