• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Respawn (Titanfall) is hiring, looking for 3rd person action/exploration experience

Renekton

What do you mean? He joined Respawn a few months ago as a game director. They're now hiring for a new third person project. Respawn is a pretty small developer right now, so if they're going ahead with a new project that isn't Titanfall 2, it makes sense that they need to expand.
I wonder if that means they are past pre-production for this God of Titanfall game.

sjay1994

http://www.nowgamer.com/news/2490102/details_about_titanfall_developers_next_game_emerge.html

We recently reported that a Respawn job listing suggested that the developer's next game would not be Titanfall 2, but a third-person action adventure.

A new job listing at Respawn provides further evidence that this is the case, as well as some new details of what we can expect from the game.

As with the previous job listing, this new posting for a senior systems designer specifically asks for experience working on third-person action adventure games.

"Experience working on 3rd person action/adventure games, demonstrating major contributions in the areas of hero control schemes, enemy design, navigation mechanics, and combat," the listing reads.

The job listing also hints at other key aspects of Respawn's next game, suggesting that it will have some kind of RPG element, with classes to pick from and some kind of upgradeable skill system.

""Respawn is seeking a Senior Systems Designer to embrace and contribute to the project vision, specifically in the areas of hero control/mechanics, enemy design, AI behaviors, combat/weapons, class design, skills/progression, story, and boss encounters," the posting reads.

That the game will include story and boss encounters may mean that Respawn's next player will have a single player component, though those elements don't necessarily preclude the possibility of another multiplayer only title from the Titanfall studio.

Lock if old

JimiNutz

Banned
A third person action game set in the Titanfall universe would be amazing.
Wall running and jetpacking around in third person would be cool, as would fighting big bosses/titans.

This probably won't be Titanfall related, right? Didn't Respawn (IW) want to leave Activision because they wanted to do other IP as well instead of just one thing?

Orayn

"hero control/mechanics"

is this weird moba language?

Maybe-kinda-sorta-but-not-really. Them talking about story and bosses runs counter to the idea of it being a typical MOBA, since those aren't usually a big part of the genre.

A lot of this stuff is really general. Seems like a 3rd person action-adventure/RPG is in the works, but a game like that could take on so many different forms.

SerTapTap

Third person would make sense for an even more movement-based shooter. Splatoon's awesome traversal controls wouldn't be feasible in first person (and/or would be nauseating). But still, sounds like it's not Titanfall 2. Which is surprising, I'd expect them to fast track that so they can get it on PS4.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Hero control is often how developers refer to controlling a character you're looking at in third person.

Like controlling Kratos, Ezio, or Batman isn't as immediately obvious as something like walking around in first person, since they do a bunch of things that characters in first person often can't.

DoomGyver

My first thought went to a Socom styled game? Then I thought all of the IW/Respawn games have been fast paced. But if anybody could bring us a game like Socom and make it successful.. Respawn could do it.

Maybe they're starting a second, smaller project. I fully expect Titanfall 2 in 2016. They've all but admitted it's happening already.

Duxxy3

Did Titanfall sell a few million more and I missed it?

When did respawn, who struggled to fund a multiplayer-only game, find the money to fund two full games? Not trying to bash them, I just don't know where the money is coming from.

GlamFM

Banned

When did respawn, who struggled to fund a multiplayer-only game, find the money to fund two full games? Not trying to bash them, I just don't know where the money is coming from.

I don´t think they were ever struggling.

Orayn

You're right, it totally boggles the mind. How does a game developer come across something like money after releasing a game that was positively received by critics, topped the NPD charts for two months in a row, and sold fairly well for the platforms it was released on? Are developers somehow compensated when their game is purchased by consumers? Could a publisher be giving them money in hopes that their future projects will also be successful?

#mysteries #unexplained

I'm betting it's just a story mode for TF2.

Also, is it possible they just hired this person to make the OTHER players look better? Like obviously they need a 3rd person animator to animate how other PCs look to the PC.

Randdalf

I'm betting it's just a story mode for TF2.

Also, is it possible they just hired this person to make the OTHER players look better? Like obviously they need a 3rd person animator to animate how other PCs look to the PC.

Can we think of a new acronym for Titanfall 2? I was momentarily very confused why people were talking about Team Fortress 2 in this thread.

Top Bottom