• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Respawn (Titanfall, Stig) making 3rd person action/adven Star Wars game w/ EA, UE4

dex3108

At EA right now, we have multiple studios building a variety of great Star Wars games spanning different genres. We are all united by our teams’ passion for Star Wars™ stories, characters, and adventures.

Today, I’m thrilled to be able to announce that EA and the talented team at Respawn Entertainment have expanded our relationship to include the development of an all-new 3rd person action adventure game set in the Star Wars universe. They join our other great studios – Visceral Games, DICE, Capital Games, BioWare, Motive and more – who are currently working on Star Wars projects. If you’re interested in joining us on this adventure, you can visit our Careers page – we have openings at Visceral and Motive and will be sharing more on these experiences soon.

Over the past few years, I’ve had the opportunity to spend a lot of time with Vince Zampella and his group. Their obsession with making games that feel amazing has helped make Titanfall one of the most successful new game launches of this generation. And now, with a new team led by Stig Asmussen, we get to see what they can do when you combine that great attention to gameplay with the power of Star Wars.

There’s never been a better time to be a Star Wars fan. The passion we’re seeing for Star Wars from gamers – whether they’ve been along for the ride since Star Wars™: Episode IV: A New Hope™, or were introduced to the magic of Star Wars with Star Wars™: The Force Awakens™ – is fueling our development teams and our partners to create unique interactive extensions of this deep, meaningful universe. As a game maker, nothing is more exciting.

Thank you and May the Fourth be with you,

Patrick

http://www.ea.com/news/the-force-is-strong-with-respawn-entertainment

I’ve got a good feeling about this…

We’ve all heard this story before. At 5 years old you see something beyond comprehension, an extraordinary fantasy that at first doesn’t seem real, but in time becomes inspirational law. The heroes, the villains, the visions, the sounds, the music, imprinted forever. Of course I am describing Star Wars™, the most influential franchise in modern history, and we at Respawn Entertainment are honored to have the chance to contribute to that legacy.

I am happy to announce our partnership with Electronic Arts and Lucasfilm to deliver a whole new adventure to the galaxy.­­

For me, just typing these words is surreal. I have been playing Star Wars games my whole life, now I get to make a Star Wars game. On top of that, I get to do it at Respawn, a studio comprised of the most talented collection of game makers, creators, visionaries, and (most importantly) advocates for the player, that I have had the good fortune to work with. And we, like you all, have no shortage of Star Wars passion.

The entire company erupted in cheers when it was announced that this would be our next endeavor.

But it’s not all fun and games — we promise to pay respect to the Star Wars legacy at all times, a fact that will be constantly reinforced and honored as a central game design tenet. Fans should expect the exemplary level of quality first established at Respawn with Titanfall, a game that epitomizes our studio’s dedication to slick, larger-than-life action and fun, groundbreaking mechanics. Moving forward, we couldn’t ask for a better universe in which to continue this journey, and although I would love to share all of the exciting places we are going, we have the following piece of information to divulge with you all today:

We’ll be making a third-person action/adventure game set in the Star Wars universe.

Now, I understand on the surface this might sound a bit dry, but developing a game within the ever-expanding Star Wars universe opens up so many paths for us to go down, and an unparalleled playground to design within. We have already planted the seeds by assembling a small, but incredibly talented team, ready for the amazing journey that lies ahead. With this in mind we are looking to expand the dream.

Do you want to join us on a journey to a galaxy far, far away? We are hiring in all departments.

Looking back to 1977, I witnessed Star Wars unleash its magic on the big screen, forever changing me (little did I know how much at the time). The crazy thing is this magic doesn’t have a shelf life. Decades later I observed the same wonder in my kids’ eyes as they watched A New Hope. What a rarity, for a book, a film, or even a game to have that kind of impact, spanning several generations, even promising to continue into future ones. The opportunity to be a part of that is not something to take for granted. This is an opportunity that I, the team, and Respawn could not and would not pass up.

This is the chance of a lifetime.

http://www.respawn.com/stig-blog/

It's UE4 based also:

Respawn is looking for a rendering focused Technical Artist to work on a new 3rd person, action-adventure Star Wars TM game. The ideal candidate will have Unreal experience and support the Environment, VFX, and Character Art teams.

This is a rare opportunity to contribute to a beloved franchise with a talented and seasoned team.

Responsibilities:
· Work with the art team to build tools and shaders in Unreal Engine 4.

Requirements:
· Knowledge of Unreal Engine 4 or a shipped title with previous versions of Unreal is a plus.

Additional game design notes:

Respawn is seeking a Senior Systems Designer to work on a new 3rd person, action-adventure Star Wars TM game. You will contribute to the project vision, specifically in the areas of hero control/mechanics, enemy design, AI behaviors, combat/weapons, class design, skills/progression, story, and boss encounters. This is a rare opportunity to work on a beloved franchise with a talented and seasoned team.

Experience:
· Experience working on 3rd person action/adventure games, demonstrating major contributions in the areas of hero control schemes, enemy design, navigation mechanics, and combat.
· Experience working with a game engine and using scripting tools to assemble heroes, enemies, AI, and interactive objects by collecting and implementing animations, models, audio, and effects into one complete system.
· Extensive understanding of the systems design process including motion models, weapons tuning and feel, enemy concept and design, tools/upgrades, economy, balance, testing, etc.

Delete if it is old.

Loris146

CArKlyZ.gif

Stig game i suppose?

Edit : Is confirmed in the article.

mdubs

Banned
Watch it be a fucking multiplayer focused shooter.

Nothing wrong with that, Titanfall is super fun and these people know how to make fun shooters. We're already getting 3rd person from one of the other studios too right?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I take it this was originally their new IP given it's the same genre.

Edit:

Oh yeah, they explicitly say it's Stig, so it was.

Coffinhal

Another 2018 game but that's cool!

Do we know what the others studios are working one (Visceral, Capital, Bioware, Motive, "others") ?

So that's:
DICE - Battlefront Franchise
Visceral - Hennig's Game (3rd Person RPG) [Shooter based?}
Bioware - working on Star War The Old Republic for now
Respawn - 3rd Person Action Adventure [Lightsaber Based?, Hopefully]

Now if only they put Criterion or Ghost to create a Space Fighter game or POD RACING game!

Top Bottom