• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Results to the 'Greatest Games of All Time' topic

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Well, since I felt like it, and bigcheese has been a bit unresponsive according to others, I took a few hours and imported and sort though all the data into a single excel document! I do want to add a few other things to it (Such as year, publish, and maybe genra, to pull other stats), but here are the overall victors.

To start with, here is the topic if you are reading this but missed the voting:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=378540

I am going to do the top 50 for four things. Total votes, most #1 votes, the score by bigcheese's system, and the score by mine (the 'Drkirby') system

The bigcheese score works as follows
bigcheese said:
1. 5 points
2. 4.5 points
3. 4 points
4. 3.5 points
5. 3 points
6. 2.5 points
7. 2 points
8. 1.5 points
9. 1 point
10. 1 point

The Drkirby score works as follows
Drkirby said:
Ok, first, you give each game a point value for each vote. 10 points for 1, 9 points for 2, and so on, till its 1 point for 1. After that, you would take the score you have, and add to it the number of votes multiplied by 10, to give more weight to the overall number

AND HERE ARE THE RESULTS!

Most Votes
Code:
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time	259
Super Mario Galaxy	189
Half-Life 2	184
Metal Gear Solid	181
Super Metroid 	168
Super Mario 64	166
Resident Evil 4	165
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past	162
Super Mario Bros. 3	157
Shadow of the Collosus	154
Final Fantasy VII	147
Super Mario World	135
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves	129
Chrono Trigger	125
Metroid Prime	117
Metal Gear Solid 3	113
Final Fantasy VI	107
Halo: Combat Evolved	97
Street Fighter 2	91
Diablo II	90
World of Warcraft	84
Starcraft	83
Half-Life	79
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night	76
Tetris 	75
Deus Ex	74
Metal Gear Solid 4	71
Goldeneye	68
Metal Gear Solid 2	64
ICO	61
Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow	59
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic	58
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask	57
Bioshock	53
Counter Strike	53
Super Mario Bros.	52
Baldur's Gate II	51
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island	51
Super Smash Brothers Melee	51
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker	49
Mass Effect	48
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare	47
Final Fantasy Tactics	47
Final Fantasy X	47
Silent Hill 2	45
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas	44
Grim Fandango	44
Team Fortress 2	44
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess	43
Fallout 3	42

Most #1 votes:
Code:
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time	77
Super Mario Galaxy	41
Super Metroid 	34
Metal Gear Solid	28
Final Fantasy VII	28
Super Mario Bros. 3	27
Half-Life 2	24
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves	23
Shadow of the Collosus	19
Chrono Trigger	18
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past	17
Super Mario 64	16
Metroid Prime	16
Halo: Combat Evolved	15
Tetris 	15
Super Mario World	13
Final Fantasy VI	12
World of Warcraft	11
Metal Gear Solid 2	11
Baldur's Gate II	11
Resident Evil 4	10
Metal Gear Solid 3	10
Starcraft	10
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night	10
Deus Ex	10
Earthbound	10
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask	9
Final Fantasy Tactics	9
Planescape: Torment	9
Super Mario Bros.	7
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island	7
Grim Fandango	7
Shenmue	7
Street Fighter 2	6
Diablo II	6
Half-Life	6
ICO	6
Metal Gear Solid 4	5
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker	5
Silent Hill 2	5
Fallout 3	5
Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal	5
Final Fantasy VIII	5
Demon's Souls	5
The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind	5
Street Fighter 3	5
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas	4
Team Fortress 2	4
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening	4
Civilization IV	4
Mega Man 2	4
Shenmue 2	4
Xenogears	4
Super Mario Kart	4
Secret of Mana 	4
Civilization	4
Star Control II	4
(A bit more then 50 due to a 11 way tie)

Top 50 for Bigcheese score
Code:
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time	1005.5
Super Mario Galaxy	642.5
Half-Life 2	583.5
Metal Gear Solid	575.5
Super Mario Bros. 3	550.5
Super Metroid 	547
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past	506
Final Fantasy VII	501
Super Mario 64	497
Shadow of the Collosus	451.5
Resident Evil 4	451.5
Super Mario World	435
Chrono Trigger	385
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves	374
Metal Gear Solid 3	361.5
Metroid Prime	361
Final Fantasy VI	339
Halo: Combat Evolved	272.5
Diablo II	270.5
Starcraft	255.5
World of Warcraft	254.5
Tetris 	243
Street Fighter 2	242
Half-Life	234.5
Deus Ex	231.5
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night	214.5
Metal Gear Solid 2	206.5
Metal Gear Solid 4	203
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask	187.5
ICO	178.5
Goldeneye	176.5
Baldur's Gate II	175
Super Mario Bros.	160
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker	155.5
Counter Strike	150
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island	148.5
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic	141
Final Fantasy Tactics	136.5
Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow	133.5
Final Fantasy X	132.5
Silent Hill 2	131.5
Super Smash Brothers Melee	131
Bioshock	129.5
Earthbound	127.5
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess	125
Shenmue	122
Final Fantasy VIII	122
Grim Fandango	121.5
Planescape: Torment	119.5
Resident Evil	114.5

Top 50 for Drkirby score:
Code:
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time	4596
Super Mario Galaxy	3162
Half-Life 2	2999
Metal Gear Solid	2946
Super Metroid 	2759
Super Mario Bros. 3	2667
Super Mario 64	2647
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past	2624
Resident Evil 4	2535
Final Fantasy VII	2468
Shadow of the Collosus	2437
Super Mario World	2219
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves	2021
Chrono Trigger	2012
Metroid Prime	1888
Metal Gear Solid 3	1848
Final Fantasy VI	1742
Halo: Combat Evolved	1501
Diablo II	1437
Street Fighter 2	1380
World of Warcraft	1342
Starcraft	1337
Half-Life	1253
Tetris 	1229
Deus Ex	1198
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night	1183
Metal Gear Solid 4	1110
Metal Gear Solid 2	1050
Goldeneye	1027
ICO	964
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask	943
Baldur's Gate II	858
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic	855
Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow	847
Super Mario Bros.	837
Counter Strike	823
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island	805
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker	798
Bioshock	784
Super Smash Brothers Melee	766
Final Fantasy Tactics	738
Final Fantasy X	732
Silent Hill 2	708
Grim Fandango	680
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess	679
Mass Effect	670
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas	660
Team Fortress 2	654
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare	647
Resident Evil	646

And for a fun fact, 463 games only had a single vote.

Now, for the data its self, and some notes. All version of Street Fighter titles, Half Life 2, and expansion packs to games, and ports, were combined into a single entry. Compilations were dropped completely (Sorry Orange Box fans). Entire series or entries with more then one game in the same vote were replaced with the first named game or oldest game. People who did not number there lists were not counted. Only a single list was knowingly omitted, due to having 5 versions of half life 2 in it. Lists were not checked to see if numbering was correct, and some results were omitted, As such, while there is around 875 counted entries, there is only 8743 total votes. No votes after the cut off time were counted.

And if you would like to see the full data to play with your self, you can find a copy of it here:
http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=tb9Yn_Lcnv6o8FdlWNxxfGQ&single=true&gid=1&output=html

SpacLock

Super Metroid should have been #1.

Great job to everyone involved in the tedious work of counting all of our submissions.

Edit: Bad Grammar.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
SpacLock said:
Super Metroid should of been #1.

Great job to everyone involved in all of the tedious work of counting our submissions.
Its the #1 SNES game :D

And while several people did help, I found out that the format that the data was in was unworkable, and I redid the whole thing from scratch using the Excel import function >_>;

I was literally just doing a search for that thread to find the results. Thanks!

Not surprised at all to see Zelda at #1 as it should be. I am surprised to see Galaxy at #2. And even more surprised to see Uncharted 2 so high. I love the game but come on guys.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I can live with that. I expected Ocarina of Time to be #1, though, so I'm glad Super Mario Galaxy was able to nab the #2 spot. I'm also really happy Link to the Past was so high too.

Though, sad a little about Yoshi's Island...

jett

D-Member
MGS4 being in there invalidates this whole experiment.

Seriously though, it's kind of an okay list.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
MiamiWesker said:
I was literally just doing a search for that thread to find the results. Thanks!

Not surprised at all to see Zelda at #1 as it should be. I am surprised to see Galaxy at #2. And even more surprised to see Uncharted 2 so high. I love the game but come on guys.
I love UC2 as well, and even placed it in my top ten in lieu of UC1, which would have made the list. But I do agree that, had this list been made in, I don't know, March, God of War 3 would probably be taking a large percent of the UC2 points.

It's unavoidable, people like to make snap-judgments.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Rez said:
I love UC2 as well, and even placed it in my top ten in lieu of UC1, which would have made the list. But I do agree that, had this list been made in, I don't know, March, God of War 3 would probably be taking a large percent of the UC2 points.

It's unavoidable, people like to make snap-judgments.
One person voted for the God of War 3 demo. I deleted that entry.

eggandI

Banned
MiamiWesker said:

Eh what makes you say Zelda deserves whatever it got but UC2 doesn't. I personally think most Zelda games are boring but that doesn't mean everyone who voted for them was wrong.

Only thing I'm surprised about is that RE4 only got 11 #1 votes.

I can't believe the following games only got 1 vote:

Commander Keen 4
Phantasy Star Universe
Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald
Railroad Tycoon
Startropics
Super Punch-Out!

All of the above got a vote of #1, but still.

Also, it's nice to see that many people still feel Ocarina of Time is #1. I'm replaying it on my N64 right now, actually. :)

Edit:
Dreamfall: The Longest Journey got 1 #3 vote. :(

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
eggandI said:
Eh what makes you say Zelda deserves whatever it got but UC2 doesn't. I personally think most Zelda games are boring but that doesn't mean everyone who voted for them was wrong.

ever heard the expression "but does it stand the test of time?"

at the time of the voting, UC2 had been released for significantly less than a month

Scipius

Decent list, if a little predictable. Thanks for all the work, Drkirby.

Uncharted 2 has no business being there at this time; an All Time list should probably only include games that are at least a year old to avoid any residual hype.

By the way, your full list has separate entries for STALKER and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Those two are actually the same game ;) Also, there is an entry for a game called "720"?

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
templeusox said:
4 Metal Gears in the top 30 or 11.22.09 is the day Kojima earned Teflon status on Gaf.
Neogaf has always had a massive hard on for Kojima. He shits and allot love to sniff.

Outside of FFVII, Which took SOTC place in the top 10. A pity. Not a bad top 10 though. Only other sore spot is Uncharted 2.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
eggandI said:

Zelda didn't come out less then a month before people started voting. I really dislike counting games around when they come out, since they will always widely change in how great people see them as they get older. And its not always in the negitive, there are quite a few examples of as time going on people warming up to a game more.

To be honest, now would be a much better time to do GOTY 2008 then in 2008.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Why would you do that? said:
I can't believe the following games only got 1 vote:

Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald

All of the above got a vote of #1, but still.

Still too generous. RSE should be number 5 or lower at the highest. IMO, of course.

Wallach

Glad to see that Half-Life reppin'.

Not quite as glad to see the only Fallout entry be Fallout 3 - not that it isn't a great game but in an "all-time" list let's get some Fallout 1/2 love up there. :D

eggandI

Banned
Drkirby said:
Zelda didn't come out less then a month before people started voting. I really dislike counting games around when they come out, since they will always widely change in how great people see them as they get older. And its not always in the negitive, there are quite a few examples of as time going on people warming up to a game more.

That's natural. More games will come out and perhaps people will think some of them are better experiences than UC2 which will make them change their mind or perhaps they won't. No use talking about it now, if it bothered you that much maybe there should have been some guidelines as to the voting process. No games from 09 or whatever.

Rez said:
ever heard the expression "but does it stand the test of time?"

Then the rules of the thread should exclude this generation. Otherweise there's no reason to get mad when recent games pop up on these lists.

Manus

Man Galaxy got #2? Man, I guess I'm in the small percentage that didn't think it was that good.

I need to replay it.

Drkirby said:

This is true. After playing Sin and Punishment 2 for the Wii, I was seriously considering making it my #1 game of all time (something I've never done), but after playing it for a while, while it's an amazing game, it isn't #1 material.

Also, yes, you did great work. I tried compiling the data, but stopped after the first page. :( Did you use a robot to help you count the stuff?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Scipius said:
Decent list, if a little predictable. Thanks for all the work, Drkirby.

Uncharted 2 has no business being there at this time; an All Time list should probably only include games that are at least a year old to avoid any residual hype.

By the way, your full list has separate entries for STALKER and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Those two are actually the same game ;) Also, there is an entry for a game called "720"?
I checked, 720 is in fact a real game. Its a 20+ year old arcade game made by atari.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/720°

eggandI

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Then the rules of the thread should exclude this generation. Otherweise there's no reason to get mad when recent games pop up on these lists.
Exactly. Silly bringing it up now after you counted the 1000s of posts.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
SolidSnakex said:
hey, it's not my credibility on the line. vote for who you like.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
templeusox said:
4 Metal Gears in the top 30 or 11.22.09 is the day Kojima earned Teflon status on Gaf.

What about Aonuma? All 5 console Zeldas from LttP-on are in the top 50.

eggandI

Banned
Rez said:
hey, it's not my credibility on the line. vote for who you like.

You serious? Come on man. :lol

You heard it here folks, if you voted for UC2 your credibility is as good as gone.

jett

D-Member
I find it ridiculous that people bitch about Uncharted being in there but have no issues with fucking MGS4 being anywhere near there.

And MGS1 these days borders on unplayable and yet it's at #4. Nostalgia for the fucking lose in this case, is all I have to say.

And Final Fucking Fantasy X. Jesuschrist. This is the shit you people should be complaining about.

This spreadsheet is going to lose me for a couple hours. A lot of interesting data in there.

If you made it a publicly editable document, would it be possible for people to collaborate and fill in details like the system the game appeared on?

Andrex said:
Still too generous. RSE should be number 5 or lower at the highest. IMO, of course.
Yeah, that's my least favorite gen, but I still expected it to get more votes than that.

jett said:
I find it ridiculous that people bitch about Uncharted being in there but have no issues with fucking MGS4 being anywhere near there. And MGS1 these days borders on unplayable and yet it's at #4. Nostalgia for the fucking lose, is all I have to say.
Huh? MGS is a game I first played a few years back, and while it isn't "greatest game ever" material to me, it is still a pretty great game.

jett said:
I find it ridiculous that people bitch about Uncharted being in there but have no issues with fucking MGS4 being anywhere near there. And MGS1 these days borders on unplayable and yet it's at #4. Nostalgia for the fucking lose, is all I have to say.

you say "nostalgia for the lose" and then bitch about MGS4 being on the list in the same breath. just thought i'd point that out.

jett

D-Member
autobzooty said:
you say "nostalgia for the lose" and then bitch about MGS4 being on the list in the same breath. just thought i'd point that out.

The nostalgia comment was about MGS1.

edit: actually, now that I think about it the reason some people have deluded themselves into thinking MGS4 is a great game *gag* is probably nostalgia for past games in the series. :p

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
SolidSnakex said:

Screw that! I'd rather have SMG at #2 and UC2 at #12 than neither of them on the list.

A year however is a good amount for a buffer period.

Personally I just feel good to know that despite the fans of the game being totally run out of the official thread by people who hated it, MGS4 is still loved by so many. For a while I was seriously having a hard time understanding why it was so hard to find a mutual fan of this game, but then this poll was started. Perhaps it's a guilty pleasure for a lot of people.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
hell, a good couple of months is a pretty good buffer period

Top Bottom