• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retail guys - musings for 4/27-5/3?

Given the release of MK Wii and GTA IV during the fourth week of the April NPD, we need those musings more than ever! What has been selling?

later

Um why do you start this thread instead of waiting for someone who actually has information to post this thread?..

RBH

later said:
Um why do you start this thread instead of waiting for someone who actually has information to post this thread?..
Because no one has taken the initiative to start a retail musings thread for weeks now, and some retail workers may be enticed to post their recent experiences when they see the thread title.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Last time I made a musings thread there only two musings in the thread, one from me and one from somebody else.

GameStop - Oklahoma

Anyway, GTAIV is selling like friggin' hotcakes.

Also, Pachter was so, so wrong about the PS3 version of GTA outselling the 360 version. The margin will be at least 2-1 in the 360's favor, and quite possibly 3-1. System sales for both systems however, seem slower than I think some people may have anticipated. It might be a Halo-sized system bump, but not much more then that.

Mario Kart is selling briskly, but not quite at GTA or even Smash Bros levels.

blitz64

The Target in Boston, MA has Wiis in stock for atleast 4 days now. This is the longest time I've seen it available since launch.

ZealousD said:
Also, Pachter was so, so wrong about the PS3 version of GTA outselling the 360 version. The margin will be at least 2-1 in the 360's favor, and quite possibly 3-1. System sales for both systems however, seem slower than I think some people may have anticipated. It might be a Halo-sized system bump, but not much more then that.

Oh dear.

C4Lukins

ZealousD said:
Last time I made a musings thread there only two musings in the thread, one from me and one from somebody else.

GameStop - Oklahoma

Pachter predicted that GTA4 would push more PS3 consoles, but still sell better as a game on the 360. How do you think the actual consoles are selling comparatively?

kenta

Has no PEINS
ZealousD said:

GameStop - Oklahoma

Where did he say the PS3 version would outsell the 360 version? I recall him saying the PS3 would outsell the 360 in terms of hardware but I've only heard him say the game would sell better on 360

FrankT

ZealousD said:

GameStop - Oklahoma

Sounds about right. I wasn't thinking GTA IV would push much HW this month. As far as the SW goes that sounds about right as well somewhere between 2 or 3 to 1. On a side note Pachter actually predicted 500k or so for the PS3 and 300k or so for the 360 for the month early on. It certainly doesn't look like that is going to happen. What Pacther also said was that if GTA comes out on the higher side of SW sales for the year then it will push an additional 2 million PS3 consoles versus 1 million for the 360.

Pachter predicted that 360 GTA IV will outsell the PS3 version by 2:1 this year (six million to three million, I think).

He also predicted that GTA IV will move more PS3 systems than 360 systems. If this is the case, we should see PS3 outsell 360 in North America in April.

Neo C.

ZealousD said:
System sales for both systems however, seem slower than I think some people may have anticipated. It might be a Halo-sized system bump, but not much more then that.
And how do you think about the near future? As we have seen in Japan, SSBB didn't bump the Wii much, but it still helps stabilizing the sales on a good level. I'm wondering if GTAIV can do the same, because it is known as a longseller.

Nutter

Neo C. said:
And how do you think about the near future? As we have seen in Japan, SSBB didn't bump the Wii much, but it still helps stabilizing the sales on a good level. I'm wondering if GTAIV can do the same, because it is known as a longseller.
It didnt bump because the damn hardware is still in shortage. (so it sold whatever was put out in retail for selling)

Sharp

Nutter said:
It didnt bump because the damn hardware is still in shortage. (so it sold whatever was put out in retail for selling)
That hasn't been true in Japan for nearly a year.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
The Gamestop and Best Buy I go to here in NC said that GTA IV is 2:1 in favor of X360. As far as system sales go, the Best Buy said they didn't think one system was leading over the other but Best Buy acknowledged that more interest in PS3 has been shown since the release of GT5P and GTAIV.

Nutter

DenogginizerOS said:
The Gamestop and Best Buy I go to here in NC said that GTA IV is 2:1 in favor of X360. As far as system sales go, the Best Buy said they didn't think one system was leading over the other but Best Buy acknowledged that more interest in PS3 has been shown since the release of GT5P and GTAIV.
You actually asked the best buy employees this? :p

Leave the Retail Musings to the people who actually work in retail.

Someone more popular then myself should take it upon their self to go through the previous musing threads and private message a coax to the posters that have contributed in the past.

Sorry guys, was meant to do retail musings for UK a week ago for GTA4 stuff but now a) im not working there anymore, b) im so contentrating on exams right now that i havent paid much attention here.

A very quick sumary of what I did in Gamestation

Wii = selling like mad, Wiifit sold out, software selling brilliant yadda yadda da
PS3 = Sold out due to GTA4 of course, GT5 was a definite second placed PS3 game
360 = Sold well as well, PS3 edges out in 360 sales though.

As for GTA stuff, our stock allocation was about 60/40 PS3/360 stuff, as in we got in over 450 copies of GTA4 for PS3 and over 300 (?, not sure) for 360. We should be sold out of GTA4s by now but havent checked.

flipping_heck said:
Sorry guys, was meant to do retail musings for UK a week ago for GTA4 stuff but now a) im not working there anymore, b) im so contentrating on exams right now that i havent paid much attention here.

A very quick sumary of what I did in Gamestation

Wii = selling like mad, Wiifit sold out, software selling brilliant yadda yadda da
PS3 = Sold out due to GTA4 of course, GT5 was a definite second placed PS3 game
360 = Sold well as well, PS3 edges out in 360 sales though.

As for GTA stuff, our stock allocation was about 60/40 PS3/360 stuff, as in we got in over 450 copies of GTA4 for PS3 and over 300 (?, not sure) for 360. We should be sold out of GTA4s by now but havent checked.

More PS3 copies shipped than 360? That's wierd

pvpness

I'm in Des Moines, Iowa. Haven't been in one of these threads before, not sure what format you guys prefer.

We've been selling through copies of GTAIV like crazy. As in, I've gotten 3 shipments of GTA so far since launch, first shipment was 200 360, 100 PS3 (based on the reserves I had) and those were gone within that first day. I got another shipment two days later and the majority of those sold across two days, but it was only 100/100 for both the systems. Now I just got a shipment this morning of another 100/100 and they're moving, but not as quickly. The versions have been pretty neck and neck at my store so far (which I attribute to inventory), but the 360 copies have been selling a bit faster. As far as systems, I've sold 3 PS3's in the same time frame (all purchased with GTA) and 9 360's (5 with copies of GTA). My store isn't very big but I think the gamers prefer it to the Gamestops in the same area (at least I like to think they do), but we've been crazy busy lately.

Ya know what's really been selling like crazy though? The friggin Mario kart steering wheel. Please send me more Nintendo!!! The phone is ringing like it did (and still does) for the Wii. I missed my prediction order wise on that one and I make a killing on those. : (

Mario Kart is also selling well/good. The first couple days I was selling just as many copies of MK as I was GTAIV (for both systems combined) and now it's kinda slowed down but I'm still pushing probably 50-60 copies a day, which is vastly less now than GTAIV. I'm reviewing the week tonight so i'll have more info if it's necessary/desired.

tanod

when is my burrito
pvpness said:
I'm in Des Moines, Iowa. Haven't been in one of these threads before, not sure what format you guys prefer.

Since you're new, I thought I'd give a warning about being too specific with where your store is located. I've heard Gamestop has corporate ninjas monitoring GAF.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
beermonkey@tehbias said:
Pachter predicted that 360 GTA IV will outsell the PS3 version by 2:1 this year (six million to three million, I think).

He also predicted that GTA IV will move more PS3 systems than 360 systems. If this is the case, we should see PS3 outsell 360 in North America in April.

This just seems contradictory. If people are buying the 360 version in greater numbers, than why would the PS3 get a bigger bump in system sales? It doesn't have to do with GTA being billed as a "PlayStation" franchise or else the PS3 version would be outselling the 360 version.

Either way, it seems that neither the 360 or PS3 are going to enjoy the bump that either company wanted. Certainly, I don't see how it's launch is going to propel the PS3 over the 360.

jmd494

ZealousD said:
This just seems contradictory. If people are buying the 360 version in greater numbers, than why would the PS3 get a bigger bump in system sales? It doesn't have to do with GTA being billed as a "PlayStation" franchise or else the PS3 version would be outselling the 360 version.

Either way, it seems that neither the 360 or PS3 are going to enjoy the bump that either company wanted. Certainly, I don't see how it's launch is going to propel the PS3 over the 360.

Installed base. More people buying GTA for 360 already own 360s while many buying for PS3 will not yet own PS3s (simply because far fewer people own PS3s)

tanod

when is my burrito
ZealousD said:

A higher market saturation of 360s in the core gamer and/or GTA4 buyer customer groups is likely to be responsible for disproportionately higher PS3 hardware sales.

Innotech

Banned
Justin Dailey said:
Installed base. More people buying GTA for 360 already own 360s while many buying for PS3 will not yet own PS3s (simply because far fewer people own PS3s)
exactly.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
blitz64 said:
The Target in Boston, MA has Wiis in stock for atleast 4 days now. This is the longest time I've seen it available since launch.
Bullshit. Time-lapse photography or it didn't happen.

AMUSIX

If the original question is 'what sold more' the answer is this:
wheelx.jpg

Really incredible how high the attatch rate is for a peripheral.

real answer: GTA4 on 360

Ceebs

Gamestop Atlanta Area

GTA: has died down this week, probably sold 2:1 in favor of 360

Mario Kart has been selling very steady. Not a huge rush like Smash Bros though. Seems about on par with Galaxy's sales.

The MK wheels however can not be kept in stock. Probably sold as many of those as we have sold PS3 GTA's. (maybe not that many but it's close)

360 sales have been dead. I did not sell a single 360 on the 29th.

PS3 Sold a few but not many of these either.

Wii has been in stock but seems to sit around for a few hours and then every one sells within an hour.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
It was definitely a big launch for GTAIV. And I saw something interesting while I was at Gamestop. An older lady came in looking for a copy of GTAIV for her 13 year old and the man working the register told her that the game was way too harsh for a child that age and then proceeded to show her other M rated games like Assassin's Creed and Lair.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
tanod said:
A higher market saturation of 360s in the core gamer and/or GTA4 buyer customer groups is likely to be responsible for disproportionately higher PS3 hardware sales.

This.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
daegan said:
I can tell you what's not selling (as fast):

the Wii. :eek:

given that it's still barely in stock anywhere and they've delivered november+ size shipments, i think you might be wrong on this one

Tideas

Banned
Ceebs said:
Gamestop Atlanta Area

GTA: has died down this week, probably sold 2:1 in favor of 360

Mario Kart has been selling very steady. Not a huge rush like Smash Bros though. Seems about on par with Galaxy's sales.

The MK wheels however can not be kept in stock. Probably sold as many of those as we have sold PS3 GTA's. (maybe not that many but it's close)

360 sales have been dead. I did not sell a single 360 on the 29th.

PS3 Sold a few but not many of these either.

Wii has been in stock but seems to sit around for a few hours and then every one sells within an hour.

ah nm. they're buying more

Top Bottom