• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retailer Micromania fears Wii U 'industrial accident', adresses PS4 shortages

It's worth noting that after GAME's demise, they're the only nationwide dedicated VG reseller. Just to give perspective on how big they are.

Source: http://www.challenges.fr/high-tech/...osoft-en-rupture-de-stock-pour-longtemps.html
Via http://www.gamekult.com/actu/wii-u-micromania-craint-laccident-industriel-A128428.html

'If [Nintendo] doesn't revive its console with games, the Wii U is about to become an industrial accident'. Scathing and direct, the warning by French distributor Micromania has what it takes to make a plumber's moustache tremble.

Interviewed by business magazine Challenges, Pierre Cuilleret - CEO and founder of Micromania- commented on the late 2013 sales figures of the console with those words. Even though he confirms a rise in sales for Nintendo products during the Christmas period, he precised that the phenomenon was more profitable for the 3DS than the Wii U. 'But, as always, they're quite relaxed' says Cuilleret about the Japanese manufacturer, which shows that a recovery remains possible within the next few months.

The president of Micromania also mentioned the shortages in PlayStation 4 stocks, saying that the orders placed after December 27 could not be honored until march, despite the regular restockings from Sony. A shortage explained -no surprise- by the clear success for the two next-gen consoles. 'The launch of Sony's PS4 and Microsoft's Xbox One kept their promises (...) and largely beat those of PS3 and Xbox 360', Pierre Cuilleret said, without giving any specific figures.

mclem

It's probably a slightly iffy translation, but as presented, it sounds entertainingly protection-racketty.

fred

Well it's a real shame that Nintendo don't have any system selling software on the way this year. [/sarcasm]

Hasney

I said wow.

Yeah, damn. I wonder how big the demand is there. It's obviously significant, but I bet they're saying March because stock will still be aimed at the US first and probably rank behind UK as well.

Hopefully stock starts stacking up a bit in other places first so France can get their orders a bit earlier!

Kouriozan

But it kinda already is.
Retailers lost faith about that console last year and Nintendo had to pay them to put Wii U on shelves, that's crazy.

SmokyDave

Well it's a real shame that Nintendo don't have any system selling software on the way this year. [/sarcasm]
Yeah, I'm sure all will be well by summer. It'll be standing shoulder to shoulder with the other two consoles. [/sarcasm][/mildmockery]

Tiberius

The president of Micromania also mentioned the shortages in PlayStation 4 stocks, saying that the orders placed after December 27 could not be honored until march, despite the regular restockings from Sony. A shortage explained -no surprise- by the clear success for the two next-gen consoles.

That's some twisted logic, the shortage of ps4 is explained by the success of the Xbox one

Ah gamekult never change !

DieH@rd

Banned
that game with Mario and that other game with Mario will surely change the tide.

ibxon1DR9B6odh.png

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=513778

Nicktendo86

Yeah, I'm sure all will be well by summer. It'll be standing shoulder to shoulder with the other two consoles. [/sarcasm][/mildmockery]

It never will but it doesn't have to to make money for Nintendo. That is all they are interested in. In that regard the WiiU has been a massive failure. Anyway, Q3 results will be very interesting...

Like the system selling software they had this year? Wasn't that supposed to make the console wildly successful? You know, because so many millions of people bought Wii Fit and Mario on the Wii, so their successors would do well?

Nicktendo86

Like the system selling software they had this year? Wasn't that supposed to make the console wildly successful? You know, because so many millions of people bought Wii Fit and Mario on the Wii, so their successors would do well?

Wii Fit U is realsed today in the US (I think) and will be out in Feb in Japan, Mario increased sales in Japan and should have nice legs. If Nintendo market the fuck out of Mario Kart it should help. IF that is.

ryanofcall

Until X has a release date, they never will.
Nintendo is dead to me, and I hate to admit it.

X is my most wanted for 2014, BUT it probably isn't a system seller.
Mario Kart and Smash are the system sellers Nintendo has to count on right now.

Wii Fit U is realsed today in the US (I think) and will be out in Feb in Japan, Mario increased sales in Japan and should have nice legs. If Nintendo market the fuck out of Mario Kart it should help. IF that is.
Two things:
Why would I pay $300 for a console to use something I already own (or pay more if I don't) when I can spend $100 for wearable fitness tech that I can use anywhere and syncs to my phone? And if I want to use Wii Fit, why not just dig it out of storage?

Nintendo has to argue their case in the face of both those thoughts. Lots of people bought in the first time. Why do it again, and for so much money?

Grizzo

X is my most wanted for 2014, BUT it probably isn't a system seller.
Mario Kart and Smash are the system sellers Nintendo has to count on right now.

But even then, I don't think they're gonna be able to move that many units on their own. Mario Kart, especially. Smash could do great, if it comes bundled and with another price cut.

It's worth noting that after GAME's demise, they're the only nationwide dedicated VG reseller. Just to give perspective on how big they are.

DieH@rd

Banned
Iwata wants to reach 9 Million by march so i guess he bet big on these Wii U releases.

From the last Nintendo financial quarter report conference:

“One game has the power to change everything,” Mr. Iwata said, smiling often during the meeting with reporters, which lasted almost an hour beyond the initially scheduled 30 minutes. ”Are we satisfied with these sales results? No. Is it impossible to recover from this? No.” Mr. Iwata, who has said he is committed to the operating-profit target, put on a brave face, telling reporters that that target was still achievable.

/facepalm
During that speech, they were 8.5mil short of that 9mil WiiU target for FY2013. In WiiU software, situation was even worse. And by worse, I mean batshit insanely unrealistic.

Sneds

Iwata wants to reach 9 Million by march so i guess he bet big on these Wii U releases.

Nintendo should do what Victoria Beckham supposedly did and secretly buy copies of their own product to get it up the charts and make it seem popular.

Nintendo should do what Victoria Beckham supposedly did and secretly buy copies of their own product to get it up the charts and make it seem popular.

Yeah, they should buy all WiiUs that go sold underprice, then resell them charging full. They could even make some bucks.

skybaby

I'm going to europe in 10 days, is there any chance I can walk in a store and get a ps4? I really don't want to pay what they're asking for here...

ryanofcall

Didn't work for the GC and the Wii U is in a worse state than the GC right?

Yup, I didn't say it looks good. But let's just wait and see for now.
IMO it doesn't really matter to most of the consumers, as long as Nintendo keeps first party coming like they did on every other home console, they'll still have more
high quality
exclusives than any other platform. They'll ride it out and figure out something with their next platform.

Sneds

Yup, I didn't say it looks good. But let's just wait and see for now.
IMO it doesn't really matter to most of the consumers, as long as Nintendo keeps first party coming like they did on every other home console, they'll still have more
high quality
exclusives than any other platform. They'll ride it out and figure out something with their next platform.

I think that's all they can do at this point. But judging from gaf some people really do feel burnt by the Wii U.

Regardless, Nintendo really need to do some serious soul-searching and come up with a decent strategy for the next console.

ryanofcall

I think that's all they can do at this point. But judging from gaf some people really do feel burnt by the Wii U.

Regardless, Nintendo really need to do some serious soul-searching and come up with a decent strategy for the next console.

I see that, but I don't really know why. Nintendos 2014 WiiU-line-up is golden imo.

Well Nintendo in panic-mode (if they even have to go panic mode with their shitload amount of money) never disappointed so far, so I'm confident about that.

Sneds

I see that, but I don't really know why. Nintendos 2014 WiiU-line-up is golden imo.

Well Nintendo in panic-mode (if they even have to go panic mode with their shitload amount of money) never disappointed so far, so I'm confident about that.

Because Nintendo promised third party support.

The Nintendo panic mode is a myth isn't it? What have they achieved through panic?

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace

I disagree, my general impression is that almost everybody that has a Wii U is in love with it. But maybe thats because only the die hard Nintendo-fanboys have one at this point.

Top Bottom