Retiring NBC News vetern writes scathing letter against warmongering US Gov't and media corps

Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
Well worth the full read, but I will pull a section below that is brutal:

Windrem again convinced me to return to NBC to join the new investigative unit in the early days of the 2016 presidential campaign. I thought that the mission was to break through the machine of perpetual war acceptance and conventional wisdom to challenge Hillary Clinton’s hawkishness. It was also an interesting moment at NBC because everyone was looking over their shoulder at Vice and other upstarts creeping up on the mainstream.
But then Trump got elected and Investigations got sucked into the tweeting vortex, increasingly lost in a directionless adrenaline rush, the national security and political version of leading the broadcast with every snow storm. And I would assert that in many ways NBC just began emulating the national security state itself – busy and profitable. No wars won but the ball is kept in play.
I’d argue that under Trump, the national security establishment not only hasn’t missed a beat but indeed has gained dangerous strength. Now it is ever more autonomous and practically impervious to criticism. I’d also argue, ever so gingerly, that NBC has become somewhat lost in its own verve, proxies of boring moderation and conventional wisdom, defender of the government against Trump, cheerleader for open and subtle threat mongering, in love with procedure and protocol over all else (including results).
I accept that there’s a lot to report here, but I’m more worried about how much we are missing. Hence my desire to take a step back and think why so little changes with regard to America’s wars.
Even without Trump, our biggest challenge as we move forward is that we have become exhausted parents of our infant (and infantile) social media children. And because of the “cycle,” we at NBC (and all others in the field of journalism) suffer from a really bad case of not being able to ever take a breath. We are a long way from resolving the rules of the road in this age, whether it be with regard to our personal conduct or anything related to hard news. I also don’t think that we are on a straight line towards digital nirvana, that is, that all of this information will democratize and improve society.
I sense that there is already smartphone and social media fatigue creeping across the land, and my guess is that nothing we currently see – nothing that is snappy or chatty – will solve our horrific challenges of information overload or the role (and nature) of journalism. And I am sure that once Trump leaves center stage, society will have a gigantic media hangover. Thus for NBC – and for everyone else – there is challenge and opportunity ahead. I’d particularly like to think and write more about that.
---

I think he's especially right about how our media is complicit in warmongering -- regardless of who is in office -- and how the media is caught in a "directionless adrenaline rush". I expect this will be abundantly clear as more stories come out in 2019 demonstrating media negligence.

Apr 8, 2006
Toronto
That's a really good read.

I dislike Trump but it feels like most news outlets pander to the whims of social media outrage and have lost all sense of objectivity. It creates a self fulfilling feedback group in which those same social media denizens point back to the news media that is catering them to confirm their bias. We're in dangerous territory.

Dec 3, 2013
That's a really good read.

I dislike Trump but it feels like most news outlets pander to the whims of social media outrage and have lost all sense of objectivity. It creates a self fulfilling feedback group in which those same social media denizens point back to the news media that is catering them to confirm their bias. We're in dangerous territory.
Hence the meme NPC was born.

Jun 13, 2014
USA
I'm interested in what he said of smartphone social media fatigue and the media hangover once Trump is gone. You could see the media somehow becoming even more sensationalist and hyperbolic than they are now as their ratings plummet.

Sep 4, 2018
on one hand, it's good he's speaking out, on the other, it sucks that he's leaving. mainstream media is outspokenly pro-war and will discard anyone who doesn't tow the company line.

it's a bit like "good cops", you don't really want them to leave bc the ones that will leave are actually the ones you want staying in the first place.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Feb 9, 2009
I’d argue that under Trump, the national security establishment not only hasn’t missed a beat but indeed has gained dangerous strength. Now it is ever more autonomous and practically impervious to criticism.
He's going to have to elaborate on this because wow that is a stretch.

May 5, 2013
He's going to have to elaborate on this because wow that is a stretch.
I believe he was referring to how the media loses it whenever Trump criticizes anyone affiliated with the CIA or national security/intelligence apparatus. Suddenly ex-CIA heads who completely botched little things like wars are not to be questioned, and they can simultaneously rail against Trump while acting like trivial concerns like politics are completely beneath such all-knowing public servants.

There was an excellent discussion of it on the "Part of the Problem" podcast, episode title "One Honest Journalist."