• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RETRO: a video gaming magazine Kickstarter. (Parish, Seanbaby, Green, Kohler, etc)

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/socalmike/retro-the-multi-format-throw-back-video-game-magaz

Digital Subscription for the first 6 issues is $12, physical + digital is $30. They're promising 52 page magazines with minimal ads.

1f973f4abc85f185e3e8ecf671ad2525_large.png

Full roster of writers (whoa!):

Jeremy Parish
Seanbaby
Chris Kohler
Jeff Green
Andy Eddy
Kat Bailey
Leonard Herman
Pat Contri
David SIller
Martin Alessi
Kevin Robinson
Alexandra Hall
Robert Welkner
Michael Thomasson
Luke McKinney
Mike Kennedy
Mike James
Scott Schreiber
Kevin Steele
Steve Tom Sawyer
Kevin Baird
David Giltinan
WIlliam Culver

Sheroking

Very much disliked classic EGM, so I can't really get behind this.

Luke McKinnley is the worst of the Cracked writers, Seanbaby the best. Would prefer he stick to comedy - don't care to see him review games again.

joedick

Man, I'll totally be on board if they'll ship the mag to Canada. I know I'm the opposite of pretty much everybody these days, but I'm not interested in a digital mag. I guess I'll ask them!

tim.mbp

That kickstarter video seemed pretty bad, I guess I'm just use to a video with a personal appeal from the founder.

Raife

So the other two Retronaut podcast guys aren't involved?

The Kickstarter page says the project is by Mike Kennedy so maybe Parish is on as a contributor rather than as the person in charge like he was with GameSpite. But yeah, neither Ray Barnholt or Bob Mackey are listed on that page. Judging from a lot of the names, maybe they are going for a more "old school" crowd, a few of those names are from the pre-1UP EGM days.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Can't really resist that cast of classic writers........ Might kickstart in the morning when sober ;)

Sushigod7

Really? Wub wub wub was the music you chose for your video? :p

God it's horrible isn't it, I stopped half way through. Interesting idea not sure if I really want to back. I'll set a reminder for it and think about it maybe digital.

PaulLFC

I'm confused. The $30 physical subscription says US only, but the otherwise identical $35 one doesn't. Is this a mistake, or can I pay $35 and get a subscription in the UK?

joedick

I'm confused. The $30 physical subscription says US only, but the otherwise identical $35 one doesn't. Is this a mistake, or can I pay $35 and get a subscription in the UK?

Yeah, the $60 tier doesn't mention 'US only' as well, but I'm assuming it's an oversight.

Polk

Too bad they won't ship outside US (although I know it would be hassle). That will limit many backers.

Says they will ship internationally, but apparently you won't get the total cost until later?

International Subscribers: We will have to send you an additional invoice, paid via Paypal OR Credit Cart for International Shipping. We will use the least expensive rate possible. You will be contacted after the campaign ends. Thank you for your support!

Dug

Banned
Wow, did not expect to see Pat the NES punk there. Makes sense though considering the nature of the magazine.

MoosiferX

Sweet! I can get behind this. I wish there was a "retailer" option though, so I could sell copies of the magazine at my store.

There is already a Retro Gamer Magazine from UK and I think it's great. I always flip through it when I go to Barnes&Noble.

Terrible pitch from people who should know better.

The video is all sorts of bad.

I have a feeling they sent out a bunch of emails to people and were like hey if we were to do this would you write some stuff for us? They got a bunch of sure whatevers email us later and then someone made the kickstarter page.

Top Bottom