• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro Anime Discussion |OT|

What retro anime titles are long overdue for a blu-ray release in North America?

• Total voters

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Good ol A.D. Police. I used to watch that I'm Every Girl music video constantly.

Really wish we could get a new release.

I had the A.D. Police soundtrack playing in my car driving home in the Summer of 2012. Many years after and I bought a Korg DW-8000 to record a cover of the synthesizer parts of "Love me Tonight." The synth was an 85' model made in Tokyo. Did you buy the last DVD release of it? The DVD release I have has all the music videos included as extras.

And this one was getting played alot...

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Anyone hyped for the new Dragon Quest anime ?

The old one

New version:

The old one looks like a human made it. You know, it's painted. The lower, what's with the Flash-like software? Are they self conscious about how their predecessors were animating before they drafted this into a computer. You know, before people made movie remakes (in the past...not sure about now), staff would have to watch the original for inspiration. Doesn't look like anyone took notes from the original animation. This kind of note taking could vastly improve the short-comings in modern anime reboots / remakes.

Last edited:
In a way this doesn't count due to being an American show but I think it should.

Back in 1984 we got The Transformers which everyone knows about but also in 1984 the little known show "Mighty Orbots" was also released. Basically in the future, a team of robots (And their Human creater/leader) called Mighty Orbots work for the usual "Galactic Patrol" type enforcement to battle against evil, in particular the Shadow organization led by Umbra. In Voltron fashion the Mighty Orbots would combine to form a giant robot, also called Mighty Orbots - and perhaps also looks a little too similar to Godmars. =P

What makes this show special is the animation duties were completely handled by TMS and Osamu Dezaki, who directed all the episodes. The production quality of this show is pretty wild, with Dezaki still in full Cobra mode and being allowed to go all out of the art and animation. Everything is high quality and the animation is generally always moving or in some action; utilizing more frames than you'd find in any Japanese animation outside of movies. Not to mention very complex camera work which frequently employs(And requires) the use of full environment animation. Couple that with amazing background and Cobra-lite art direction (Sans the individual Orbots) and you've got one of the best looking shows to come out of Japan.

KJxjXEz.gif

Cobra!? Not quite. :messenger_winking:

I don't know what budget they gave Dezaki for this show but he definitely used it:

The big caveat of course is...the show itself is rather mediocre. By the standards of 80s tv cartoons the writing and storytelling is well, substandard. This is a show to en joy purely based on the animation, art and general production.

Only 13 episodes were made before it was sued by Tonka due to the name "Orbots" and the use of "Mighty" being too close to Gobots. Since the show wasn't a big hit during it's short run, rather than fight the lawsuit they pretty much dumped the show and moved on. For a long time a limited number of episodes were only available on VHS though a few years ago a dvd of the complete series was released.

If you're a fan of Dezaki or 80s animation in general then definitely give this one a look.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Yeaaaah...no.
Watch it again.
I don't get your point. The older is lower budget and stutters a few frames but the physics work for being made with practical tools. The newer is likely on the same budget and going wild with the CG and digital ink. It's nice if it's a VG cut scene; if it's an anime...They still make celluloid and sell paint in Japan 🙃😉

It's not bad. I like Dragon Quest.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
In a way this doesn't count due to being an American show but I think it should.

Back in 1984 we got The Transformers which everyone knows about but also in 1984 the little known show "Mighty Orbots" was also released. Basically in the future, a team of robots (And their Human creater/leader) called Mighty Orbots work for the usual "Galactic Patrol" type enforcement to battle against evil, in particular the Shadow organization led by Umbra. In Voltron fashion the Mighty Orbots would combine to form a giant robot, also called Mighty Orbots - and perhaps also looks a little too similar to Godmars. =P

What makes this show special is the animation duties were completely handled by TMS and Osamu Dezaki, who directed all the episodes. The production quality of this show is pretty wild, with Dezaki still in full Cobra mode and being allowed to go all out of the art and animation. Everything is high quality and the animation is generally always moving or in some action; utilizing more frames than you'd find in any Japanese animation outside of movies. Not to mention very complex camera work which frequently employs(And requires) the use of full environment animation. Couple that with amazing background and Cobra-lite art direction (Sans the individual Orbots) and you've got one of the best looking shows to come out of Japan.

KJxjXEz.gif

Cobra!? Not quite. :messenger_winking:

I don't know what budget they gave Dezaki for this show but he definitely used it:

The big caveat of course is...the show itself is rather mediocre. By the standards of 80s tv cartoons the writing and storytelling is well, substandard. This is a show to en joy purely based on the animation, art and general production.

Only 13 episodes were made before it was sued by Tonka due to the name "Orbots" and the use of "Mighty" being too close to Gobots. Since the show wasn't a big hit during it's short run, rather than fight the lawsuit they pretty much dumped the show and moved on. For a long time a limited number of episodes were only available on VHS though a few years ago a dvd of the complete series was released.

If you're a fan of Dezaki or 80s animation in general then definitely give this one a look.
Amazing sequences in that opening animation. They did this a few times in the 80's. Everyone knows that Thunder Cats was an American production but a Japanese animation. The episodes are mediocre like you mentioned here but that opening for TC is on fire. It's just as well anime considering.

Amazing sequences in that opening animation. They did this a few times in the 80's. Everyone knows that Thunder Cats was an American production but a Japanese animation. The episodes are mediocre like you mentioned here but that opening for TC is on fire. It's just as well anime considering.

Orbots does have a nice opening but nothing I posted was from the intro. The show generally just looks that good and is maybe the only non-Disney show that has animation that lives up the opening.

Conversely stuff like Thundercats and Silverhawks and whatnot are standard cheap stuff in the actual episodes.

Also I forgot to post it but there's also the Orbots pilot Broots which was not included on the dvd. Designs and such differ from the final show but it's a pretty nice looking pilot and still has a lot of music cues from Cobra and such. Shame it's not available in better quality.

Anyone post Yotoden? One of my all time favorites. Do not watch the "movie" it's just the 3 OVA mashed up in 1 with a lot cut out. I have it on Betamax and DVD.

Don't think so. I recall liking it though admittedly I've only seen said movie version under the Wrath of the Ninja title on vhs. 😓

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties

Anyone post Yotoden? One of my all time favorites. Do not watch the "movie" it's just the 3 OVA mashed up in 1 with a lot cut out. I have it on Betamax and DVD.

As Space Runaway Space Runaway mentioned, it was sold on VHS / DVD as Wrath of the Ninja. Likewise, I've never seen the full 3 uncut OVAs. Have they been released on DVD or blu-ray? Seems by reading that it would be worth a rewatch but uncut. Nice head explosion in that animation. One guy's eyes were already popping out beforehand. Added realism. 👌

F31 Leopard

As Space Runaway Space Runaway mentioned, it was sold on VHS / DVD as Wrath of the Ninja. Likewise, I've never seen the full 3 uncut OVAs. Have they been released on DVD or blu-ray? Seems by reading that it would be worth a rewatch but uncut. Nice head explosion in that animation. One guy's eyes were already popping out beforehand. Added realism. 👌

I actually have 3 OVA on dvd. It's really rare. I should rip them and upload to YouTube or something.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I actually have 3 OVA on dvd. It's really rare. I should rip them and upload to YouTube or something.
I have many rarities, too. I wouldn't rip them to YouTube, though. Some of these old titles are going through license rescuing and will be reissued by distributors like Discotek. You can always share screenshots of them. I think Manga Entertainment was the last North American distributor of those OVAs.

Dacon

Banned

Omg I remember watching this bit when I was a kid and being like wtf that shit is scary.

Now as an adult I just laugh. What a good anime.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Omg I remember watching this bit when I was a kid and being like wtf that shit is scary.

Now as an adult I just laugh. What a good anime.
Sounds like you saw the uncut version in that case, right? Reminds me of how Baoh would just destroy anyone without much effort. That anime DVD is also oop and pretty expensive now, too.

Go1crzl.gif

telbiVh.gif

Sounds like you saw the uncut version in that case, right? Reminds me of how Baoh would just destroy anyone without much effort. That anime DVD is also oop and pretty expensive now, too.

Go1crzl.gif

telbiVh.gif

I really wanted to like that Baoh OVA but it just didn't do it for me. I should probably try reading the comic though. =P

Also Discotek announced a bunch of upcoming releases. Notable for this thread would be

Project A-Ko on Bluray. It's going to be a restoration but the masters are still lost so they're working with laserdisc. Good luck with that...=P

Ninja Senshi Tobikage on Bluray

(This song was redone in English for the Ninja Robots version and it's laughable)

Genocyber on SD-BD. The DVD's been oop for awhile so it's good to have something available for those who want some sick shit.

GinRei OVAs on Bluray (Never watched these but people who have always seem to like them)

And also old school shoujo The Rose of Versailles on bluray.

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I really wanted to like that Baoh OVA but it just didn't do it for me. I should probably try reading the comic though. =P

Also Discotek announced a bunch of upcoming releases. Notable for this thread would be

Project A-Ko on Bluray. It's going to be a restoration but the masters are still lost so they're working with laserdisc. Good luck with that...=P

Ninja Senshi Tobikage on Bluray

(This song was redone in English for the Ninja Robots version and it's laughable)

Genocyber on SD-BD. The DVD's been oop for awhile so it's good to have something available for those who want some sick shit.

And also old school shoujo The Rose of Versailles on bluray.

Baoh clicked with me because I watched it co-op and it reminded me of one of my stories. Scary thing though...I don't make for a great writer. You said comic? In an anime thread?! You're fired! Hahaha, good humor and yes there are those who get offended if we don't say man-ga ;)

Awesome news you shared there on Discotek's upcoming releases. Who would of thought Genocyber was getting another release? There's a fan demand on Discotek's site for all of the older oop violent anime. I remember when they pushed for Violence Jack and the company responded by re-licensing and releasing Violence Jack. Awesome news, I recommend more people read your thread to get more insight on the upcoming Discotek releases. It's about the only way to buy classic anime now for collectors. The other distributors aren't doing very much.

Baoh clicked with me because I watched it co-op and it reminded me of one of my stories. Scary thing though...I don't make for a great writer. You said comic? In an anime thread?! You're fired! Hahaha, good humor and yes there are those who get offended if we don't say man-ga ;)

Awesome news you shared there on Discotek's upcoming releases. Who would of thought Genocyber was getting another release? There's a fan demand on Discotek's site for all of the older oop violent anime. I remember when they pushed for Violence Jack and the company responded by re-licensing and releasing Violence Jack. Awesome news, I recommend more people read your thread to get more insight on the upcoming Discotek releases. It's about the only way to buy classic anime now for collectors. The other distributors aren't doing very much.

Maybe they can find a way to do an MD Geist collection for BD as well. Specifically one with the original Geist OVA along with the DC. Yeah the Director's Cut is definitely better but I would still like to have the original available on a format that isn't VHS ot LD. Plus I'm amused by all various errors and goofy text the DC (mostly) fixed. They were fitting for how trashy the OVA was =P

This was my jam growing up

2WwkSnx.jpg

Never read any but I enjoyed what I've seen of the 86 tv series. Also classic intro. :messenger_sunglasses:

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Maybe they can find a way to do an MD Geist collection for BD as well. Specifically one with the original Geist OVA along with the DC. Yeah the Director's Cut is definitely better but I would still like to have the original available on a format that isn't VHS ot LD. Plus I'm amused by all various errors and goofy text the DC (mostly) fixed. They were fitting for how trashy the OVA was =P

Never read any but I enjoyed what I've seen of the 86 tv series. Also classic intro. :messenger_sunglasses:
M.D. Giest would be nice on blu-ray. Not sure if the blu-ray for Genocyber will have any improvement in quality over the last printer copy I have from CPM / U.S. Manga Corps. It's pretty clear but maybe the audio has been enhanced. I'd need some specs on it.

I think they should just go full circle and release M.D. Giest 1 & 2, GenoCyber, and Cybernetics Guardian. I get that people didn't like Cybernetics Guardian as much but it's really in line with the Director's other works. I bought them all in the same box set and that's why they included Cybernetics Guardian...make it a director's box.

M.D. Giest would be nice on blu-ray. Not sure if the blu-ray for Genocyber will have any improvement in quality over the last printer copy I have from CPM / U.S. Manga Corps. It's pretty clear but maybe the audio has been enhanced. I'd need some specs on it.

I think they should just go full circle and release M.D. Giest 1 & 2, GenoCyber, and Cybernetics Guardian. I get that people didn't like Cybernetics Guardian as much but it's really in line with the Director's other works. I bought them all in the same box set and that's why they included Cybernetics Guardian...make it a director's box.
Hopefully it has an improved image. A lot of these old ova dvd transfers were quick and dirty so there's room for improvement even while still SD.

Yeah Cybernetics Guardian never seemed to catch on quite like the other two even though it still had all the splatter (And the trailers let you know this lol). A set would be nice though doesn't look like they have any plans for that anytime soon.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Hopefully it has an improved image. A lot of these old ova dvd transfers were quick and dirty so there's room for improvement even while still SD.

Yeah Cybernetics Guardian never seemed to catch on quite like the other two even though it still had all the splatter (And the trailers let you know this lol). A set would be nice though doesn't look like they have any plans for that anytime soon.
When I bought the set on DVD it was cheaper than buying the individual OVAs. I think from a marketing standpoint, Discotek would probably sell individually and charge more for each.

Yeah, it would be nice to see some clean-up on the blu-ray but not the degraining that we saw in your previous sample of a 2016 blu-ray brush up. I always felt that seeing some grain is what makes High-Definition pictures unique.

Anyone, including you watch Apocalypse Zero. I was in a McDonald's late one night in the 2000's talking with an anime connection about some of the splatter anime from the 80's and 90's. She told me to look up Apocalypse Zero and I decided to buy it for a test drive. She said it was terrible but weird gore. It's terrible but it fits the splatter critique.

RO0pOix.gif

When I bought the set on DVD it was cheaper than buying the individual OVAs. I think from a marketing standpoint, Discotek would probably sell individually and charge more for each.

Yeah, it would be nice to see some clean-up on the blu-ray but not the degraining that we saw in your previous sample of a 2016 blu-ray brush up. I always felt that seeing some grain is what makes High-Definition pictures unique.

Anyone, including you watch Apocalypse Zero. I was in a McDonald's late one night in the 2000's talking with an anime connection about some of the splatter anime from the 80's and 90's. She told me to look up Apocalypse Zero and I decided to buy it for a test drive. She said it was terrible but weird gore. It's terrible but it fits the splatter critique.

RO0pOix.gif
Yeah I would hope they don't attempt to DNR shit or anything extreme and just do a proper transfer. A-Ko is going to get the works though so we'll see how that turns out.

Oh jeez Apocalypse Zero. That had more than just extreme splatter in it. :messenger_hushed: They actually planned that as a lengthy ova series but that didn't pan out.

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Yeah I would hope they don't attempt to DNR shit or anything extreme and just do a proper transfer. A-Ko is going to get the works though so we'll see how that turns out.

Oh jeez Apocalypse Zero. That had more than just extreme splatter in it. :messenger_hushed: They actually planned that as a lengthy ova series but that didn't pan out.
A-Ko was released by Discotek on DVD after CPM filed liquidation. Is there any difference in the picture from these rescued titles like A-Ko which were released already by CPM in the early 2000's. I'm watching DNA-Squared with my wife and I was they released that. My copy is CPM. I can tell you that the sound is okay, colors are fine, but the aspect is wrong. It should be native 4:3 and black barred on the sides. When I watch a lot of my older anime DVDs on newer TVs, I notice they're all scaled to zoom full screen. I can only expect Discotek to better things. Besides, they're grandparent company is Warner Music Group (there's money there).

You've gotta be joking about Apocalypse Zero nearly having an OVA series. I can't even remember the second OVA episode. It seems like there were two episodes. Maybe they were setting the stage for modern anime directors...if it's crap, don't cancel...continue it to a series. 😉 Just off-color humor. I don't even think they give modern anime a test run before pushing 40 episodes of anything into production.

Ok, ive been wondering what anime this was for about 20 years now. I watched at a friends house when I was like 12 and since we were both kids and not even proper dial up internet, this was as close to porn as we could have lol. I remember specifically him putting it on to show me the beginning scene:

Guy is a cop I believe, one of those rotten ones and the beginning of the anime is him fucking another girl, it was pretty graphic but not total porn. I remember him as a total badass and he was like 4 times the size of the girl. And thast pretty much all i remember. It just stuck with me because that was the opening, there was some discussion as well but I don't remember that, think the guy was a smoker too.

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Ok, ive been wondering what anime this was for about 20 years now. I watched at a friends house when I was like 12 and since we were both kids and not even proper dial up internet, this was as close to porn as we could have lol. I remember specifically him putting it on to show me the beginning scene:

Guy is a cop I believe, one of those rotten ones and the beginning of the anime is him fucking another girl, it was pretty graphic but not total porn. I remember him as a total badass and he was like 4 times the size of the girl. And thast pretty much all i remember. It just stuck with me because that was the opening, there was some discussion as well but I don't remember that, think the guy was a smoker too.
I'm pretty sure you just gave a small description of "Sleepy" John Estes (a character) from the manga / OVA called 'Mad Bull 34.' He is with a lot of women in the OVA and is pretty corrupt. He gets pretty violent in some scenes, too. The overall character is training a younger intern cop Daizaburo "Eddie" Ban (who I think they mentioned transfered to NYPD from Japan???) and sometimes comes off as a nice guy. He smokes and sleeps a lot when he's not working.

They're not porn but there were a lot of strong scenes in Mad Bull 34. So, I imagine to a teenager...they may have thought that.

He's drawn as a giant like you described, too.

GY82o32.jpg

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
kunonabi kunonabi Dacon Dacon I'm assuming you knew about this. They did make a 12th OVA (it's labeled as 13 because the "Team Ranma vs. Legendary Phoenix" was considered 12 in N.A.). I never considered this to be a 12th or 13th OVA. OVAs weren't common in 2008 when this was released if even still existent. I share this to give you an idea of how bad it looks when Studio Deen (same one's who pushed production for the original TV series) pushes Ranma to be made with no human artistic elements. It's all digital ink, CG added for effects, and not even sure if the backgrounds are real. It was not very popular but for different reasons. I also believe the reason this wasn't release with the last OVA remaster DVD and blu-ray sets is due to it likely not being licensed in North America. The glow effect added to digital modern anime is one reason I can't watch it. It literally hurts my eyes and makes everything seem blurry. Story wasn't doing much other than crossing into some areas the TV series had already gone into. So, I think Studio Deen tested to see if they could use it as a reboot of the Ranma OVAs for the 21st Century and it just wasn't happening.

The older TV episodes, movies, and OVAs don't have perfect animation by any means. However, Ranma 1/2 was a product of the late-80's and it's something that just wasn't meant to be reworked in our present time. The original run showed that it could garner an audience and was popular in Japan despite lacking a clear story arc. I think the year 1996 marked the end for anything Ranma 1/2 related. The manga was finished and so was the last OVA "The Two Akanes." So...they moved onto to Rumiko's next popular work (at the time that would have been Inuyasha). Sometimes it's nice to see an older anime have a retake. However, Ranma 1 /2 simply doesn't fit in with today's anime or methods of production. It's something unique from the past that doesn't need to be further extended because the older material is rewatchable and still popular if you're talking with those interested.

Last edited:
A-Ko was released by Discotek on DVD after CPM filed liquidation. Is there any difference in the picture from these rescued titles like A-Ko which were released already by CPM in the early 2000's. I'm watching DNA-Squared with my wife and I was they released that. My copy is CPM. I can tell you that the sound is okay, colors are fine, but the aspect is wrong. It should be native 4:3 and black barred on the sides. When I watch a lot of my older anime DVDs on newer TVs, I notice they're all scaled to zoom full screen. I can only expect Discotek to better things. Besides, they're grandparent company is Warner Music Group (there's money there).

I couldn't say as I don't have the Discotek/Eastern Star release. I do have both the of the US Manga Corps dvd releases and those are very different - the newer release having gotten a video restoration which is detailed in a short featurette on the dvd.

You've gotta be joking about Apocalypse Zero nearly having an OVA series. I can't even remember the second OVA episode. It seems like there were two episodes. Maybe they were setting the stage for modern anime directors...if it's crap, don't cancel...continue it to a series. 😉 Just off-color humor. I don't even think they give modern anime a test run before pushing 40 episodes of anything into production.

Yeah I think they planned for 10 episodes. =P

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I couldn't say as I don't have the Discotek/Eastern Star release. I do have both the of the US Manga Corps dvd releases and those are very different - the newer release having gotten a video restoration which is detailed in a short featurette on the dvd.

Yeah I think they planned for 10 episodes. =P
We mentioned boxsets and A-Ko needs to be released in a set. I bought the first one, Love & Robots, and Uncivil Wars without researching the other movies. I was not aware there were other Project A-Ko movies. Now that I am, it doesn't change much as I never bought the latter 2??? when I was regularly buying anime. I bought around 200 titles for my collection of classic anime between 2005 and 2016. When I left the States, it got hard to keep collecting. I only buy when it's something really big (like Kimagure Orange Road TV and Lupin lll series 2 releases).

I'm assuming the Apocalypse Zero thing didn't work out due to lack of any known audience. I still can't believe they wanted 10 episodes. I need to read into that.

kunonabi

kunonabi kunonabi Dacon Dacon I'm assuming you knew about this. They did make a 12th OVA (it's labeled as 13 because the "Team Ranma vs. Legendary Phoenix" was considered 12 in N.A.). I never considered this to be a 12th or 13th OVA. OVAs weren't common in 2008 when this was released if even still existent. I share this to give you an idea of how bad it looks when Studio Deen (same one's who pushed production for the original TV series) pushes Ranma to be made with no human artistic elements. It's all digital ink, CG added for effects, and not even sure if the backgrounds are real. It was not very popular but for different reasons. I also believe the reason this wasn't release with the last OVA remaster DVD and blu-ray sets is due to it likely not being licensed in North America. The glow effect added to digital modern anime is one reason I can't watch it. It literally hurts my eyes and makes everything seem blurry. Story wasn't doing much other than crossing into some areas the TV series had already gone into. So, I think Studio Deen tested to see if they could use it as a reboot of the Ranma OVAs for the 21st Century and it just wasn't happening.

The older TV episodes, movies, and OVAs don't have perfect animation by any means. However, Ranma 1/2 was a product of the late-80's and it's something that just wasn't meant to be reworked in our present time. The original run showed that it could garner an audience and was popular in Japan despite lacking a clear story arc. I think the year 1996 marked the end for anything Ranma 1/2 related. The manga was finished and so was the last OVA "The Two Akanes." So...they moved onto to Rumiko's next popular work (at the time that would have been Inuyasha). Sometimes it's nice to see an older anime have a retake. However, Ranma 1 /2 simply doesn't fit in with today's anime or methods of production. It's something unique from the past that doesn't need to be further extended because the older material is rewatchable and still popular if you're talking with those interested.

Yeah, I was aware of it but since I don't care for the Japanese voice cast I just had no interest in it. Nice to know I didn't much.

We mentioned boxsets and A-Ko needs to be released in a set. I bought the first one, Love & Robots, and Uncivil Wars without researching the other movies. I was not aware there were other Project A-Ko movies. Now that I am, it doesn't change much as I never bought the latter 2??? when I was regularly buying anime. I bought around 200 titles for my collection of classic anime between 2005 and 2016. When I left the States, it got hard to keep collecting. I only buy when it's something really big (like Kimagure Orange Road TV and Lupin lll series 2 releases).

I'm assuming the Apocalypse Zero thing didn't work out due to lack of any known audience. I still can't believe they wanted 10 episodes. I need to read into that.

Yeah I don't remember the year but the first A-ko dvd came out during the early years of dvd. It had one of those cardboard cases with the plastic snapper and was presented in a cropped widescreen format. The colors were also still inline with the vhs version. Also the subtitles infamously start slowly going out of sync halfway through the movie until they're totally out of sync.

The newer restored version came out in the 00s and is the ver most people have. The Love & Robots and Uncivil Wars dvds you have follow that 00's release.

WkGdGVS.jpg
T3pKAgc.jpg

PpE1HGC.jpg

I think I like the darker and pinkish VHS colors better though... :messenger_hushed:

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Yeah, I was aware of it but since I don't care for the Japanese voice cast I just had no interest in it. Nice to know I didn't much.
I can tolerate some of the Japanese cast but I saw Ranma for the first time dubbed from Ocean Group. I got attached to the English cast. Japanese Happosai sounds terrible. The "special" here added nothing to Ranma and was quickly forgotten. No one is petitioning its release in the U.S. and why would they? I wanted to put it out there as I vaguely remembered reading about it and how some claimed it was the "lost OVA." There is no lost OVA. It did take over a decade for them to put Team Ranma vs.The Legendary Phoenix on DVD, though.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Yeah I don't remember the year but the first A-ko dvd came out during the early years of dvd. It had one of those cardboard cases with the plastic snapper and was presented in a cropped widescreen format. The colors were also still inline with the vhs version. Also the subtitles infamously start slowly going out of sync halfway through the movie until they're totally out of sync.

The newer restored version came out in the 00s and is the ver most people have. The Love & Robots and Uncivil Wars dvds you have follow that 00's release.

WkGdGVS.jpg
T3pKAgc.jpg

PpE1HGC.jpg

I think I like the darker and pinkish VHS colors better though... :messenger_hushed:
I had a VHS rip of that first release. I don't own the cardboard DVD version, mine is the 2000's release with the replaced soundtrack included as an extra. The pink tones look more natural. The latter looks like someone moved the tiny and over saturated the color using presets on an old CrTV. The first spaceship has more tone and visual detail. Not sure which version that one is from and why the second one is over saturated. Did the original Japanese soundtracks ever get out back into the first film? I haven't watched it in like 9-years and I wasn't aware back then that they had recorded a Western soundtrack during the localization.

I had a VHS rip of that first release. I don't own the cardboard DVD version, mine is the 2000's release with the replaced soundtrack included as an extra. The pink tones look more natural. The latter looks like someone moved the tiny and over saturated the color using presets on an old CrTV. The first spaceship has more tone and visual detail. Not sure which version that one is from and why the second one is over saturated. Did the original Japanese soundtracks ever get out back into the first film? I haven't watched it in like 9-years and I wasn't aware back then that they had recorded a Western soundtrack during the localization.

The first is from the old release. All the old release shots are cropped.

And that actually is the original soundtrack. Japan decided they wanted a western score and had it recorded in LA. The dvd special feature "Behind the Scenes from Japan" is a Japanese behind the scenes short and there's a lot of footage of the soundtrack being recorded. The Japanese narrator refers to the singers as "American groupie girls". 😋

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
The first is from the old release. All the old release shots are cropped.

And that actually is the original soundtrack. Japan decided they wanted a western score and had it recorded in LA. The dvd special feature "Behind the Scenes from Japan" is a Japanese behind the scenes short and there's a lot of footage of the soundtrack being recorded. The Japanese narrator refers to the singers as "American groupie girls". 😋
It would appear mine has all these extras...I never knew. Also, never knew that was the original soundtrack.

bEQDLas.jpg

I'm pretty sure you just gave a small description of "Sleepy" John Estes (a character) from the manga / OVA called 'Mad Bull 34.' He is with a lot of women in the OVA and is pretty corrupt. He gets pretty violent in some scenes, too. The overall character is training a younger intern cop Daizaburo "Eddie" Ban (who I think they mentioned transfered to NYPD from Japan???) and sometimes comes off as a nice guy. He smokes and sleeps a lot when he's not working.

They're not porn but there were a lot of strong scenes in Mad Bull 34. So, I imagine to a teenager...they may have thought that.

He's drawn as a giant like you described, too.

GY82o32.jpg

Thanks for replying! Yeah thats not it even though what you described actually fits the same as with my memory :D For sure, the one Im talking about is not a series, I think its a one-off title but the art style is totally different. Id say its more like Van Hellsing...its a bit more realistic, not at all funny or dry humor, just sex and carnage.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Thanks for replying! Yeah thats not it even though what you described actually fits the same as with my memory :D For sure, the one Im talking about is not a series, I think its a one-off title but the art style is totally different. Id say its more like Van Hellsing...its a bit more realistic, not at all funny or dry humor, just sex and carnage.
I don't know that Hellsing was that intense. It could be very well possible that it was a hentai title. I don't watch hentai, so I can't be much of a reference in that area. Only things I watched that came close were Rei Rei: Missionary of Love, Weather Report Girl, and the censored Dream Hunter REM. However, this thread does sorta have a guy who knows way more than me about most aspects and trivia of vintage anime Space Runaway Space Runaway Could you help this guy out?

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
I just reminded of another old anime while reading this thread:

maxresdefault.jpg

If someone ever need something depressing to watch. It is not as gruesome as some other show, but in term of being "dark", this show does a really good job at portraying a realistic dark world from the first episode to end.

It is not even the type of show that attempts to be entertaining by having a dark plot, it is just crafted to make the viewer feel depressed. Kind of like watching daily mainstream news type of depressing.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member

RO0pOix.gif
I found the pig that kills her to be far more disgusting lol.

Happosai Happosai Sorry too vague.

Another smattering of intros

(Random Info: Raijin Oh's intro song was done by Silk, a band fronted by Priss' VA Kinuko Oomori after she quit Bubblegum Crisis. There's also a music video which is some of the only video footage of Silk that still exists)

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I just reminded of another old anime while reading this thread:

maxresdefault.jpg

If someone ever need something depressing to watch. It is not as gruesome as some other show, but in term of being "dark", this show does a really good job at portraying a realistic dark world from the first episode to end.

It is not even the type of show that attempts to be entertaining by having a dark plot, it is just crafted to make the viewer feel depressed. Kind of like watching daily mainstream news type of depressing.
There are plenty of depressing movies like this to watch. It's an excellent piece of animation. We need emotional breaks from the typical anime genres. This is definitely a recommend watch to those who haven't seen it.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I found the pig that kills her to be far more disgusting lol.
The crazy monster woman? That seriously made me nauseous. I can imagine introducing this anime OVA to someone who likes 90's school ground SOL anime and not tell them anything about what's going to happen after the first 3-minutes. Normally in an anime when you'd see a bunch of kids at school (even if it's post-apocalypse), you think they'd never harm a sweet couple. She at the guy after crushing his pelvis and partial dismemberment...then eats him. We think...it's over. Then she gets kicked in the stomach later on by the protag and vomits him back up partially digested and he's still speaking. The people who made Apocalypse Zero manga and OVA were some...special people.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Happosai Happosai Sorry too vague.

Another smattering of intros

(Random Info: Raijin Oh's intro song was done by Silk, a band fronted by Priss' VA Kinuko Oomori after she quit Bubblegum Crisis. There's also a music video which is some of the only video footage of Silk that still exists)

Pretty fair intros here. It's nice that most of the anime kept consistent anime quality good or bad and didn't change much during production. I also like that original anime intros are still a thing. I remember Western anime having intros that would just be a clip show from the series with some crap action song.

Kinuko Oomori could have made a bigger career and adopted Priss into a real stage character. You know, people would still be buying that today if she had the right management. You should share the music video, too.

Pretty fair intros here. It's nice that most of the anime kept consistent anime quality good or bad and didn't change much during production. I also like that original anime intros are still a thing. I remember Western anime having intros that would just be a clip show from the series with some crap action song.

Yeah anime localized for the US televsion seemed to always get cut n paste intros. Perhaps many weren't supplied clean intro footage to paste English credits over? =P

Though for original animation I'm sure it's just a case of not wanting to spend money on a costly new intro. In one case the 60s "8 Man" got an original intro for it's US broadcast and the designs didn't match those used in actual show, with 8 Man now having some haggard old man face.

Kinuko Oomori could have made a bigger career and adopted Priss into a real stage character. You know, people would still be buying that today if she had the right management. You should share the music video, too.
Not sure she'd legally be able to do that (And Crash was coming out around the time of Silk's first album) and that look was waning by the early 90s anyway. =P

If you wanna see the mv:

At 4:07 if it doesn't time code.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Yeah anime localized for the US televsion seemed to always get cut n paste intros. Perhaps many weren't supplied clean intro footage to paste English credits over? =P

Though for original animation I'm sure it's just a case of not wanting to spend money on a costly new intro. In one case the 60s "8 Man" got an original intro for it's US broadcast and the designs didn't match those used in actual show, with 8 Man now having some haggard old man face.

Not sure she'd legally be able to do that (And Crash was coming out around the time of Silk's first album) and that look was waning by the early 90s anyway. =P

If you wanna see the mv:

At 4:07 if it doesn't time code.
I think if she wanted business with the Bubblegum Crisis holders, they would have let her persona as Priss live-action. Of course, it's been 33-years and anime doesn't age the same way singers do.

Thanks for the video link. Good stuff. I wish the U.S. / Canada had taken an interest in importing anime earlier. There are still too many exclusive specials and such which North America doesn't get. We get the initial product but often don't see promotional videos or exclusive extras. It's better now at least in the way where we don't have to wait 10-years after a series airs before Americans pick it up.

Top Bottom