• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro Anime Discussion |OT|

What retro anime titles are long overdue for a blu-ray release in North America?

• Total voters

Valonquar

New UY is... something. OG UY was already short episodes and they basically shortened things down further. The animation is nice and different at least. Either way I won't complain about more LUM, and the eventual resurgence of Lum cosplayers.

ranmafan

Video Girl Ai is one of those anime’s I just never got too way back when. Sadly I want to watch now but it’s missing on all the streaming services in Japan. A shame too, would love to watch that finally.

As for the UY remake first episode, they certainly made some interesting decisions and it it feels very modern in comparison to the original. I enjoyed it but yeah the condensed time of the episodes and the rapidness of it all is something to get used to. The original is still the best but it will be interesting to see how the series goes as more episodes air. I love how they also got the original Ataru and Lum into the show.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
New UY is... something. OG UY was already short episodes and they basically shortened things down further. The animation is nice and different at least. Either way I won't complain about more LUM, and the eventual resurgence of Lum cosplayers.
I've stated my opinions/thoughts on the new UY but my 'hope' is that a resurgence in popularity will help push the release of the blu-rays for the original this coming year. Lum cosplayers? I know that was big even on into the late-90's but...do people still cosplay anymore?
Video Girl Ai is one of those anime’s I just never got too way back when. Sadly I want to watch now but it’s missing on all the streaming services in Japan. A shame too, would love to watch that finally.

As for the UY remake first episode, they certainly made some interesting decisions and it it feels very modern in comparison to the original. I enjoyed it but yeah the condensed time of the episodes and the rapidness of it all is something to get used to. The original is still the best but it will be interesting to see how the series goes as more episodes air. I love how they also got the original Ataru and Lum into the show.
Your story of Video Girl Ai being forgotten sounds much like the second to last episode. I won't give away spoilers if kunonabi kunonabi hasn't watched it before. But we know Ai comes from a VHS. In the real world...VHS is gone. Not gone entirely but it's a form of media that ceased production and is never coming back. So, 2nd to last episode of the OVA, Ai disappears too. Like I said, there's comedy in it but it gets very heavily dramatic toward the end of the OVA.

Doom85

do people still cosplay anymore?

In the US? Absolutely. Heck, there are probably way more anime cosplayers than ever before given its massive boost in popularity over the last decade. I mean, one of the signs that Chainsaw Man was going to be the biggest hit of the year was the fact that tons of cosplayers of the characters have been seen at conventions this year BEFORE the anime aired. That’s unheard of for a series, it always takes the airing of the anime before you see a significant number of cosplayers for it.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
In the US? Absolutely. Heck, there are probably way more anime cosplayers than ever before given its massive boost in popularity over the last decade. I mean, one of the signs that Chainsaw Man was going to be the biggest hit of the year was the fact that tons of cosplayers of the characters have been seen at conventions this year BEFORE the anime aired. That’s unheard of for a series, it always takes the airing of the anime before you see a significant number of cosplayers for it.
Lum cosplay like Valonquar brought up was something before the big conventions and fandom. I figured fandom was still around but maybe because I was never really involved in anime fandom. So, that likely means the conventions are still going on too?

The world I grew up in where anime fans were was in VHS trading, maybe having a Xerox print-off of a character you liked on your locker (when I got into anime - I was still in middle-school...long time ago) and that was about it. There were no clubs that I recall either. Seems like anime clubs and conventions and such started popping up in the 2000's.

Last edited:

Ladioss

Love the new UY OP : the song is nice, the Space Invaders, the references to the PCE, Gameboy games... :messenger_grinning:
Another nice work from Shingo Yamashita

Video Girl Ai was one I put off for years but it was worth waiting for. It's not too long like most OVAs and follows pretty close with most of where the artist wanted it to go. Someone else in the thread can probably tell you where production credits had like members to those who'd worked on DNA² or 3 X 3 Eyes.

I love the OST and the background art from the Video Girl Ai OVA, but I'm really not a fan of shounen romances... :/

Regarding the comment on the Ranma OVA where Miss Hinako transforms. I doubt the 'little girl' face would change with the modern trends if they tried this today. That's one I can't explain at all...why are modern anime women drawn with the faces of young girls.

Interestingly enough, the Ranma 1/2 anime was a major milestone in the transformation of anime industry toward otaku pandering and sexual gratification. I mean, compare the first episode vs the stuff we had in merchandising by the time we reached the second movie, the Doco idol group, etc :messenger_grinning_sweat:

0DDd2d4.jpg

80s anime was full of sexy, buxom ladies (Tsukasa Hojo, to begin with), but the era saw also the rise and the establisment of the lolicon movement among hardcore fans 😕

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Love the new UY OP : the song is nice, the Space Invaders, the references to the PCE, Gameboy games... :messenger_grinning:
Another nice work from Shingo Yamashita

I love the OST and the background art from the Video Girl Ai OVA, but I'm really not a fan of shounen romances... :/

Interestingly enough, the Ranma 1/2 anime was a major milestone in the transformation of anime industry toward otaku pandering and sexual gratification. I mean, compare the first episode vs the stuff we had in merchandising by the time we reached the second movie, the Doco idol group, etc :messenger_grinning_sweat:

0DDd2d4.jpg

80s anime was full of sexy, buxom ladies (Tsukasa Hojo, to begin with), but the era saw also the rise and the establisment of the lolicon movement among hardcore fans 😕
Video Girl Ai is shounen romance but had better creative writing than many others. It's not everyone's preference in anime but many folks here like the genre. Myself moreso after getting married.

Not sure of your point with Ranma 1/2. Rumiko wasn't a screenwriter but did author most of the stories in manga prior to them becoming OVA and creative direction in the movies. Is that just a photo or did you watch the 2nd movie?

This threada not about that and I politefully disagree that Ranma 1/2 led to the creeps and fandoms of today. Likewise, respectfully don't bring in topics related to loli in this thread. Again, I own every media release of Ranma and have never seen anything baiting lolis. kunonabi kunonabi you've likely been watching Ranma 1/2 as long as myself. Would you agree?

At any rate, I have never read it in any of the 37 pages of posts in this thread. Let's not go down that foxhole Thank you.

kunonabi

Video Girl Ai is shounen romance but had better creative writing than many others. It's not everyone's preference in anime but many folks here like the genre. Myself moreso after getting married.

Not sure of your point with Ranma 1/2. Rumiko wasn't a screenwriter but did author most of the stories in manga prior to them becoming OVA and creative direction in the movies. Is that just a photo or did you watch the 2nd movie?

This threada not about that and I politefully disagree that Ranma 1/2 led to the creeps and fandoms of today. Likewise, respectfully don't bring in topics related to loli in this thread. Again, I own every media release of Ranma and have never seen anything baiting lolis. kunonabi kunonabi you've likely been watching Ranma 1/2 as long as myself. Would you agree?

At any rate, I have never read it in any of the 37 pages of posts in this thread. Let's not go down that foxhole Thank you.
I don't think he's saying Ranma is responsible for lolis just that they sprouted up in the same period. That said I don't think Ranma 1/2 really had that much to do with increased sexualization. Like it's super tame and hardly ever that titillating in its presentation unless it's serving a purpose like Hinako. If anything it undercuts sexualization of the characters especially compared to way harder stuff elsewhere. Not always to be fair but most of the time. That Nabiki vacation op is probably the most fan servicey it gets and even that isnt that too bad.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I don't think he's saying Ranma is responsible for lolis just that they sprouted up in the same period. That said I don't think Ranma 1/2 really had that much to do with increased sexualization. Like it's super tame and hardly ever that titillating in its presentation unless it's serving a purpose like Hinako. If anything it undercuts sexualization of the characters especially compared to way harder stuff elsewhere. Not always to be fair but most of the time. That Nabiki vacation op is probably the most fan servicey it gets and even that isnt that too bad.
That was my point. There was nudity in Ranma 1/2 and light innuedo but it wasn't over the top. I like Go Nagai but if you're going to call out over sexualization...why not just blame him? If you've seen some of the OVAs released for lesser popular stories he wrote, you might have something there. Likewise agree that the movie had some fan service but I watched it not long ago. Aside from a few scenes in the opening and the part where Ranma is in the harem (as girl Ranma...), just not seeing it in the majoritybof the movie.

I don't recall there being lolis either back in the day with the Western audiences. Maybe in JP but maybe something I never noticed. I did however notice it in the 2000's. I figured that was why modern anime women were drawn like little girls.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Them Cutey Honey OVAs tho. Man haven't watched those in a minute.
qjf1xFmtjrknXrFCHz7kQ.jpg
New Cutey Honey OVA was great but there was this Go Nagai based OVA (don't remember the name) but it had anything and everything in it, which may have served as more of a point. I think Space or someone posted on it some 12 or more pages back. Speaking of New Cutey Honey, I remember the opening being in Engrish but didn't sound too bad.

here was this Go Nagai based OVA (don't remember the name) but it had anything and everything in it, which may have served as more of a point. I think Space or someone posted on it some 12 or more pages back. Speaking of New Cutey Honey, I remember the opening being in Engrish but didn't sound too bad.
The OVA in question might be CB Chara Nagai Go World (wiki link); a DVD release from Discotek is still generally available, under the title Go Nagai World--the series is nonsensical fun, but possibly a bit awkward, owing to the super-deformed aesthetic. As for Shin Cutey Honey, the first opening was still in Japanese, second opening was English and does sound fairly natural to start but eventually gets a bit Engrish-y.

Last edited:

Ladioss

I don't think he's saying Ranma is responsible for lolis just that they sprouted up in the same period.
That's it. Thank you.
I like Go Nagai but if you're going to call out over sexualization...why not just blame him? If you've seen some of the OVAs released for lesser popular stories he wrote, you might have something there. Likewise agree that the movie had some fan service but I watched it not long ago. Aside from a few scenes in the opening and the part where Ranma is in the harem (as girl Ranma...), just not seeing it in the majoritybof the movie.
Sure, from Harenchi Gakuen onward sexualization and violence have always been Go Nagai's brand.
I shouldn't try to talk in a language I don't master at all. What I had in head is a long process of fetishization of otaku culture from the 60/70s to the early 2000s, of which Ranma was only a step along the way, that's all.

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
That's it. Thank you.

Sure, from Harenchi Gakuen onward sexualization and violence have always been Go Nagai's brand.
I shouldn't try to talk in a language I don't master at all. What I had in head is a long process of fetishization of otaku culture from the 60/70s to the early 2000s, of which Ranma was only a step along the way, that's all.
Likewise, I felt I may have read some of that out of context. Otaku culture grew for sure by the 70's to say the least but it didn't seem to become an international thing until France, Italy and some of the other Europeon countries started seeing shows like Fist of the North Star, Mazinger, MSG, and other run on TV and eventually home video.

Seems like Otaku no Video had some puns on this. Anyway, the world of fandom didn't really seem to be as much of a North American phenomenom until the 2000's...unless I just missed it completely.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
RetroCrush all last week kept recommending Cyber City Oedo clips. I'll be honest, I have not owned Cyber City Oedo since the last DVD release from the early 2000's. But, just watching the clips made me want to buy the Steelbook release. Episodes 1 & 3 were my favorite but maybe I'll like 2 once I rewatch it. It's been a good 10-years since I last watched it.

Who bought the steelbook?

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
How's the og Bubblegum Crisis? I have only ever seen tokyo 2040. Which I loved.
Watch it. It's the best in the series and pretty easy to find. If you're going physical, I'd have to ask J JunkerWoland what they may have enhanced with Discotek's release. I still own the 2nd AnimeEigo release.

What you need to know:

- Cool mecha anime and one of the funnest in a compact runtime of the 80's
- Great character design & development
- Overall production was the best of the 4??? Not sure if there were others but A.D. Police are introduced, boomers and all that prior to the A.D. Police OVA, Total Crash etc.
- Music videos drive the story in a way

Not saying for 80's OVAs that it's the GOAT as sonething odd happened with production toward the end but it's in my top 5. Some cool GIFs...
ZPLIsZU.gif
qTXS8Rd.gif
VTj7fAK.gif
Q7roq2A.gif
JzNBWWw.gif

If you're coming to Bubblegum Crisis from Tokyo 2040, something to keep in mind is the OVA does not have an ending, discounting the lackluster and rushed follow-up series that is Bubblegum Crash. This isn't meant to dissuade anyone from watching the series, but it's good to understand what you're getting into and that Bubblegum Crisis and Tokyo 2040 are much different experiences.

Like the previous VHS & DVD releases in the US, the Bubblegum Crisis Blu-ray also comes courtesy of AnimEigo. The company initially released the series as a Kickstarter project; this version of the product can now only be found on the secondary market. What's currently available is a single-disc, bare-bones retail Blu-ray. People with the retail version seem happy with the video encode, but the audio was downgraded from lossless LPCM 2.0 to lossy Dolby Digital 2.0; additionally, the only extras are the music videos, which apparently play on-loop at the main menu.

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
If you're coming to Bubblegum Crisis from Tokyo 2040, something to keep in mind is the OVA does not have an ending, discounting the lackluster and rushed follow-up series that is Bubblegum Crash. This isn't meant to dissuade anyone from watching the series, but it's good to understand what you're getting into and that Bubblegum Crisis and Tokyo 2040 are much different experiences.

Like the previous VHS & DVD releases in the US, the Bubblegum Crisis Blu-ray also comes courtesy of AnimEigo. The company initially released the series as a Kickstarter project; this version of the product can now only be found on the secondary market. What's currently available is a single-disc, bare-bones retail Blu-ray. People with the retail version seem happy with the video encode, but the audio was downgraded from lossless LPCM 2.0 to lossy Dolby Digital 2.0; additionally, the only extras are the music videos, which apparently play on-loop at the main menu.
Glad I stuck with my original 4-disc boxset. Quite a few bonus features and for the time...picture really isn't that bad.
First time I watched BC, I did so without prior knowledge of the franchise and was dissapointed that there wasn't an ending. But, the overall viewing experience was great enough for me to keep rewatching. Bubblegum Crash is okay. A.D. Police is something new altogether. My confession with A.D. OVA is that I kept the Lou B. soundtrack and liked those songs slight more than OG Bubblegum Crisis.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
On topic with A.D. Police and the Bubblegum Universe...I've played this one on piano a few times. Loved the A.D. Police soundtrack

Power Pro

I used to own the Sega Saturn game for Magic Knight Rayearth. I sold it when it was only worth about $100-150 like an idiot, because now it's worth over $1000 for a US copy :messenger_expressionless:

Anyway, it crossed my mind again when I saw that the anime for was on amazon prime, so I thought I'd check it out. Their episodes were only in English, and looked like DVD quality, so I didn't watch anymore beyond the first episode on there. However it got me interested enough to want to watch more. So I bought the series on blu-ray. MUCH nicer video quality, and yeah the Japanese voices are a lot less distracting.

I'm only about a dozen episodes in, but I'm really enjoying it! I don't watch a lot of anime, and I'm finding I am just really enjoying this 90s style a lot more. It's got funny moments, but it's also pretty good dramatic moments too. Good balance, at least up to where I am so far.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I used to own the Sega Saturn game for Magic Knight Rayearth. I sold it when it was only worth about $100-150 like an idiot, because now it's worth over $1000 for a US copy :messenger_expressionless:

Anyway, it crossed my mind again when I saw that the anime for was on amazon prime, so I thought I'd check it out. Their episodes were only in English, and looked like DVD quality, so I didn't watch anymore beyond the first episode on there. However it got me interested enough to want to watch more. So I bought the series on blu-ray. MUCH nicer video quality, and yeah the Japanese voices are a lot less distracting.

I'm only about a dozen episodes in, but I'm really enjoying it! I don't watch a lot of anime, and I'm finding I am just really enjoying this 90s style a lot more. It's got funny moments, but it's also pretty good dramatic moments too. Good balance, at least up to where I am so far.
Going to have to check out the blu-rays in that case. I'll sometimes watch a Clamp series for the art design and animation alone. I finished Shamanic Princess earlier this past Summer. Story was like a huge JRPG cut scene and not going to say it was great. But the animation was just rich. I'd rewatch for that alone.

I can empathize with seller's remorse on anime based video games. A few based on retro titles I sold about 6-years back were: Sword of the Berserk: Guts' Rage (Dreamcast) Ushio & Tora (Super Famicom) and both Tenchi Muyo games I had (one was on SF and the other on Sega Saturn). Not sure what they're worth now but they didn't sell low.

Labolas

A million times better.
Eh, I disagree, slightly. A lot of the production in the OG fluctuates and is inconsistent. Now I know some of the reason for this is because how each episode was spaced out, having different directors for each episode and the series had some production problems with Artmic and Youmec. Also I think that the characters were more fleshed out in 2040, I also prefer the some of the character designs over the OG and the series has a proper ending.

But other than that, the OVAs are fan-fucking-tastic, amazing fun characters, some of the best animation from 80's, and the robotic and mech animation is top notch.

Power Pro

Going to have to check out the blu-rays in that case. I'll sometimes watch a Clamp series for the art design and animation alone. I finished Shamanic Princess earlier this past Summer. Story was like a huge JRPG cut scene and not going to say it was great. But the animation was just rich. I'd rewatch for that alone.

I can empathize with seller's remorse on anime based video games. A few based on retro titles I sold about 6-years back were: Sword of the Berserk: Guts' Rage (Dreamcast) Ushio & Tora (Super Famicom) and both Tenchi Muyo games I had (one was on SF and the other on Sega Saturn). Not sure what they're worth now but they didn't sell low.
It's funny you mention how Shamanic Princess was like a JRPG cut scene. Magic Knight Rayearth's narrative structure has reminded me a lot of a classic JRPG. The characters literally level up when they reach new mental fortitude. They visit towns and have encounters with minions of the main villain that feel like boss fights. Makes me even more curious to try that Sega Saturn game now to see how well it translated.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Eh, I disagree, slightly. A lot of the production in the OG fluctuates and is inconsistent. Now I know some of the reason for this is because how each episode was spaced out, having different directors for each episode and the series had some production problems with Artmic and Youmec. Also I think that the characters were more fleshed out in 2040, I also prefer the some of the character designs over the OG and the series has a proper ending.

But other than that, the OVAs are fan-fucking-tastic, amazing fun characters, some of the best animation from 80's, and the robotic and mech animation is top notch.
OG does have those fluctuations but it never stopped it from being great. It's just like Gunbuster, the budget pedered out around the last episode. Or Megazone which took some 7-years or so and different staff to complete. You could remake them with one or two studios as 'complete' but the aesthetic of the originals will still be the greatest. Now, that's opinion and in all fairness -- you all are pushing me to check out 2040 as it's the only entry to to the BC franchise that I do not own. The fact that there's debate about isn't necessarily going to persuade me it could surpass the original or A.D. Police but...sounds like it's worth a watch and I'll take you up on that =)
Is Sailor Moon worth watching in 2022? I've still never seen it...
Not sure, I still don't know if the original is worth watching. But the best way to find out is to set the time aside and watch it. I try to go into most series' without a bias, without reading ahead and make my own critiques. I would say that if you're a Sailor Moon fan, it'd probably help to go back and watch the original TV run and then watch the 2022 for good measure.
It's funny you mention how Shamanic Princess was like a JRPG cut scene. Magic Knight Rayearth's narrative structure has reminded me a lot of a classic JRPG. The characters literally level up when they reach new mental fortitude. They visit towns and have encounters with minions of the main villain that feel like boss fights. Makes me even more curious to try that Sega Saturn game now to see how well it translated.
I wish there was a higher quality video of the transformations scenes in Shamanic Princess. Sometimes I wonder if Clamp should have just waited until 7th Gen and made it into a game.

Magic Knights RayEarth is very much like a JRPG. But it's one of many in retro anime that have gone that route. The Slayers (if you deduct all the comedic episodes and narrow it down to only the battle episodes) TV & Next have many elements you'd find in a JRPG too.

ranmafan

Wow GaoGaiGar got picked up by Discotek. I had hoped for that. Now I wish I hadn’t bought the Japanese dvds recently hahaha. Oh well, I’ll still be getting the blurays for that next year.

More importantly, Discotek already has GGG:Final, so this won't be a case of needing to prove viability for the OVA by getting people to buy the TV series.

In general, the company made some nice announcements on Monday, including two works by Dezaki Osamu. Anime News Network has a full rundown, for those interested (link).

Discotek also provided some updates on Gunbuster: no release date (and it's not part of their January 2023 solicitations), but they remastered Episode 6 to be closer to 16:9, rather than the 4:3-letter-boxed version that exists on the Japanese BD; they also redid the end credits of Episode 6, by restoring the Japanese text and recompositing it over the textless-HD extra from the Japanese set (for some reason, the end credits on the JP release were taken from a poor-quality analogue master (possibly because no one was willing to recreate the JP text?); regardless, both versions are available on Discotek's release). I am slightly concerned about the release's video quality. The impression is it'll only be a single disc, which looks to be packed with content, along with a full, English dub--I just hope the video doesn't noticeably suffer.

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Wow GaoGaiGar got picked up by Discotek. I had hoped for that. Now I wish I hadn’t bought the Japanese dvds recently hahaha. Oh well, I’ll still be getting the blurays for that next year.
That's excellent. For some reason, I'm not getting regular updates from Discotek. I'm sure it's something as simple as signing up to a newsletter or that I accidentally flagged as spam & unsubbed. We'll fix that.

Oh, have an extra BD from the JP version...you could always donate it =P jk
More importantly, Discotek already has GGG:Final, so this won't be a case of needing to prove viability for the OVA by getting people to buy the TV series.

In general, the company made some nice announcements on Monday, including two works by Dezaki Osamu. Anime News Network has a full rundown, for those interested (link).

Discotek also provided some updates on Gunbuster: no release date (and it's not part of their January 2023 solicitations), but they remastered Episode 6 to be closer to 16:9, rather than the 4:3-letter-boxed version that exists on the Japanese BD; they also redid the end credits of Episode 6, by restoring the Japanese text and recompositing it over the textless-HD extra from the Japanese set (for some reason, the end credits on the JP release were taken from a poor-quality analogue master (possibly because no one was willing to recreate the JP text?); regardless, both versions are available on Discotek's release). I am slightly concerned about the release's video quality. The impression is it'll only be a single disc, which looks to be packed with content, along with a full, English dub--I just hope the video doesn't noticeably suffer.
I encourage anyone reading the thread to check out the link that was posted above by JunkerWoland! Wow, was not expecting to see some of those releases in there. I liked the original Kinnikuman anime TV series from the early 80's but only made it through about 15 odd episodes. I saw the sequel too and the humor was...my taste; glad to see they packed all 70 + episodes into an eventual blu-ray release for 2023 Ultimate Muscle/Kinnikuman II. Hope subs are in there though...

Great to hear there's some progress on Gunbuster. I'm sure they'll take their time with that before giving a release date. I'm hoping it's not another favorite OVA that the push the price up so far -- I have to pass (which was unfortunately the case with Gunsmith Cats...albeit one of my favorite OVAs ever made; the blu-ray was too expensive for my budget). There's an English dub of Gunbuster? Never knew that but doesn't surprise me. Sounds like the process overall may have some mixed composites...I am curious about the audio. Any mention on that?

By the way, it's still in that old poll I posted. Please give me popular suggestions to add another 3 to the poll before closing it in January or February next year!
Usl6yGy.jpg

There's an English dub of Gunbuster? Never knew that but doesn't surprise me. Sounds like the process overall may have some mixed composites...I am curious about the audio. Any mention on that?
The dub is newly created for this release. As some may be aware, Gainax lost the individual music & SFX tracks to the original Gunbuster, which until recently prevented the creation of international dubs. More recently, the company recreated the series' music & SFX to accommodate an almost complete vocal re-dub, initially debuting with the Gunbuster compilation movie from 2006. For the Japanese Blu-ray release of the OVA, it includes both the 1980s audio as LPCM 2.0 and the newly created audio as Dolby 5.1. These new audio & SFX tracks are what's allowing for the creation of the English dub. As has previously been mentioned, the forthcoming US Blu-ray likely only contains the replacement track for the Vangelis parody song in Episode 1; the replacement track is also present in the newly-created Japanese audio found on the JP Blu-ray.

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
The dub is newly created for this release. As some may be aware, Gainax lost the individual music & SFX tracks to the original Gunbuster, which until recently prevented the creation of international dubs. More recently, the company recreated the series' music & SFX to accommodate an almost complete vocal re-dub, initially debuting with the Gunbuster compilation movie from 2006. For the Japanese Blu-ray release of the OVA, it includes both the 1980s audio as LPCM 2.0 and the newly created audio as Dolby 5.1. These new audio & SFX tracks are what's allowing for the creation of the English dub. As has previously been mentioned, the forthcoming US Blu-ray likely only contains the replacement track for the Vangelis parody song in Episode 1; the replacement track is also present in the newly-created Japanese audio found on the JP Blu-ray.
The JP release seems to be a bit pricey. I may suck it up and buy the upcoming release but those sound like significant and uncontrollable changes to the release. Not interested in the new dub but having the audio (soundtrack)...that's a downer. SFX...yeah, I can part with that but soundtracks are a big part of how I recognize film. To be clear, if you switch the the JP audio -- you're not going to get any of the original soundtrack?

That's a story within itself too...how did they lose the soundtrack? Was the source material not legit or was it a rights issue?

The JP release seems to be a bit pricey. I may suck it up and buy the upcoming release but those sound like significant and uncontrollable changes to the release. Not interested in the new dub but having the audio (soundtrack)...that's a downer. SFX...yeah, I can part with that but soundtracks are a big part of how I recognize film. To be clear, if you switch the the JP audio -- you're not going to get any of the original soundtrack?

That's a story within itself too...how did they lose the soundtrack? Was the source material not legit or was it a rights issue?
You may not be completely following me. The new music & SFX is a recreation of the original 1980s material; the only change is the Vangelis parody song from Episode 1, which--similar to the US release on DVD--is replaced with an orchestrated piece from later in the series. Speaking on only the music & SFX, you'd need to closely compare the 1980s and 2006 audio back-to-back to notice any difference.

What I don't believe has been confirmed for Discotek's Blu-ray is the Japanese voice options. As previously stated, the Japanese Blu-ray for the series contains the completely unaltered 1980s audio as LPCM 2.0 and the new audio as Dolby 5.1. This new audio contains recreations of the original music & SFX and an entirely new vocal dub using the same actors (except for one secondary character, whose actor had died..sorry can't remember which one). In terms of the new Japanese dub, it's not necessarily bad, but anyone familiar with the series will absolutely notice a difference--how could things not be different, everyone in the cast is 15 years older. At the moment, while we know Discotek's release will certainly feature Japanese audio, we just don't know what Japanese audio; and because international fans aren't particularly aware of the new vocal dub from 2006, no one seems to be inquiring about what specific Japanese dub is included on their set.

As for Gainax losing Gunbuster's original audio, not much is known publicly, but the company simply lost the individual music, SFX, and vocal tracks to the series. Lost as in they misplaced and can no longer locate or mistakenly disposed of them, not anything having to do with rights issues.

Last edited:

kunonabi

Gunbuster sounds like a great release but Im still skipping it over the episode 1 change. Looking forward to some of those other announced titles though.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
You may not be completely following me. The new music & SFX is a recreation of the original 1980s material; the only change is the Vangelis parody song from Episode 1, which--similar to the US release on DVD--is replaced with an orchestrated piece from later in the series. Speaking on only the music & SFX, you'd need to closely compare the 1980s and 2006 audio back-to-back to notice any difference.

What I don't believe has been confirmed for Discotek's Blu-ray is the Japanese voice options. As previously stated, the Japanese Blu-ray for the series contains the completely unaltered 1980s audio as LPCM 2.0 and the new audio as Dolby 5.1. This new audio contains recreations of the original music & SFX and an entirely new vocal dub using the same actors (except for one secondary character, whose actor had died..sorry can't remember which one). In terms of the new Japanese dub, it's not necessarily bad, but anyone familiar with the series will absolutely notice a difference--how could things not be different, everyone in the cast is 15 years older. At the moment, while we know Discotek's release will certainly feature Japanese audio, we just don't know what Japanese audio; and because international fans aren't particularly aware of the new vocal dub from 2006, no one seems to be inquiring about what specific Japanese dub is included on their set.

As for Gainax losing Gunbuster's original audio, not much is known publicly, but the company simply lost the individual music, SFX, and vocal tracks to the series. Lost as in they misplaced and can no longer locate or mistakenly disposed of them, not anything having to do with rights issues.
I hear you. Didn't realize they 'lost' vocal, music and SFX. It could have been worse, if the source film was lost...we could have ended up with nothing more than a dated p/s VHS or LD.
Just hoping for the best based on what you've posted but I won't set my expectations through the roof. Yes, a new Japanese dub will be noticable given the amount of time between the original recordings, adr direction and missing a cast member (deceased).
Gunbuster sounds like a great release but Im still skipping it over the episode 1 change. Looking forward to some of those other announced titles though.
Well, I'll take this blu-ray over the nothing option. Which is where I'm at now given the JP blu-ray inflated something else beyond my small items disposable budget. I have this rule that if it's not a series or long anticipated OVA not to spend over $50 minus shipping. I've spent a lot of money on anime these 25 odd years...

But hope they upscaled somewhat
mMdymYC.gif

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
J JunkerWoland : There's this old article interview from the 2000's with Jonathan Clement about bringing certain anime titles to DVD for N.A. distribution/etc. Seems he'd worked for a few of the distributors, otherwise...he's unknown to me. I see some finger pointing here where he tries pinning the loss of audio in Gunbuster's DVD release on the U.K. team which did release a pretty cut-up release in the early 2000's.

"JC: My favourite anime ever is the original Gunbuster, and it broke my heart to see the shoddy way it was treated in the UK. With the infinite budget you have given me, I would buy the rights, tart it up, do a dub (which is difficult because the Music & Effects track has been lost and would need to be reconstructed from the ground up), and then do the commentary track that Kiseki refused to pay me for in the UK. Either that or the wartime anime Momotaro’s Divine Sea Warriors, which I would try to release in a double disc with the Chinese movie Princess Iron Fan. I didn’t choose those titles for their commercial potential, but simply for my own sick amusement."

Source article

Sounds like his thing was "dubbing" Gunbuster and it's hard to understand from this whether or not he's referring to the loss of audio track from the original source with Gainex or if this was about redubbing. This brings up the question: which dub/vocal audio was damaged (not to be redundant) that matters? Was it an English & Japanese track issue or both? Did Gunbuster ever get a DVD release with the original audio?

Sorry for drawing this discussion out but this is the type of thing Kenny Lauderdale would be researching too if it was a lesser known anime title.

Happosai Happosai
Jonathan Clement has been floating around the anime/manga world, since the early 1990s. He currently stylizes himself more as an academic, I suppose, but he's British and did a bunch of work with Manga Entertainment.

Regarding the lost audio for Gunbuster, the interview with Clement may be a bit garbled, but he isn't pinning the issue on the UK team that handled the DVD release. Going back to the 1990s and at least following Manga Entertainment's re-release of the series on VHS, it's been known Gainax no longer had the individual music & SFX tracks to the show; unfortunately, such mentions would be buried in old magazines, fanzines, and lost to 1990s Internet newsgroups and maybe fansites.

This brings up the question: which dub/vocal audio was damaged (not to be redundant) that matters? Was it an English & Japanese track issue or both?
There is no preexisting English dub of Gunbuster. There is also no damaged Japanese dub of Gunbuster. Gainax lost the separated audio tracks (music, SFX, and voices) to the show that were created in the 1980s; all they have is the completed audio mix, with music, SFX, and voices combined. Without those individual, separated tracks, it's not possible to create dubs in foreign languages.

Did Gunbuster ever get a DVD release with the original audio?
For DVDs, the Japanese R2 from 2004 and the international R0 from 2006 have the original audio. Also, to specify again, the Japanese Blu-ray has the original, completely unaltered audio, including the original Japanese dub, available as LPCM 2.0.

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Happosai Happosai
Jonathan Clement has been floating around the anime/manga world, since the early 1990s. He currently stylizes himself more as an academic, I suppose, but he's British and did a bunch of work with Manga Entertainment.

Regarding the lost audio for Gunbuster, the interview with Clement may be a bit garbled, but he isn't pinning the issue on the UK team that handled the DVD release. Going back to the 1990s and at least following Manga Entertainment's re-release of the series on VHS, it's been known Gainax no longer had the individual music & SFX tracks to the show; unfortunately, such mentions would be buried in old magazines, fanzines, and lost to 1990s Internet newsgroups and maybe fansites.

There is no preexisting English dub of Gunbuster. There is also no damaged Japanese dub of Gunbuster. Gainax lost the separated audio tracks (music, SFX, and voices) to the show that were created in the 1980s; all they have is the completed audio mix, with music, SFX, and voices combined. Without those individual, separated tracks, it's not possible to create dubs in foreign languages.

For DVDs, the Japanese R2 from 2004 and the international R0 from 2006 have the original audio. Also, to specify again, the Japanese Blu-ray has the original, completely unaltered audio, including the original Japanese dub, available as LPCM 2.0.
I guess with the blu-ray it does come back to buying but not expecting it to be much like it was. On a positive note, at least Nadia: Secret of Blue Water got a release without getting botched up too much for a history like this.

I was looking through the catalog of upcoming Discotek releases and saw that Project A-Ko: 4 was getting a new release. I have the CPM DVD that was titled "Uncivil Wars." I'm going to be honest...I watched about 15-minutes of it (thinking it would be a continuation of the first A-Ko movies) and I turned it off. Not sure if anyone else has seen it but is it worth watching in full?

Anime News Network isn't the greatest source of information but to read through this I understand they wanted it to be like comedy/space opera of sorts with role changes...maybe just the pacing was slow.
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=719

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Welcome Retro Anime GAF. Make sure to watch some of the creepy retro anime titles today when you all get off work. Check this out...

The Curse of Kazuo Umezu (2 part OVA from 1990s which was a JP only VHS release but has been on YouTube for a few years now in full)

Without any spoilers, the first OVA tells about a girl who has nightmares after returning from a trip to Mexico that a Roger Corman-like demon is killing her friends.
O0WdraP.gif

E1EMlK2.gif

2nd OVA is about 2 girls who decide to visit a haunted mansion (along with another 2 companions). The mansion is haunted by a violent female spirit. Is what they see real or too many late night VHS' horror movies?

X3bbIqx.gif

Enjoy the full feature The Curse of Kazuo Umezu if you've never watched it yet before.

Ldul44D.jpg

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
We're back and it's November.

California Crisis: Gun Salvo or as those in the retro anime community have heard it as simply California Crisis. Nishikubo Toshihiko Directed this and had a hand in the script for this common, yet unavailable (in N.A.) OVA of 1986. Toshihiko worked on quite a few OVAs that never really sailed off the shelves of dusty VHS' shelves. That's not to say that he didn't work on some titles which were somewhat decent like animation direction for Ghost in the Shell and directing the cult OVA Video Girl Ai.

There are five great '86 city pop originals in this which is quite the first for an OVA that's only 45-minutes. With cool Engrish titles like "Streets Are Hot" and..."Eyes..." the combination of vaporwave art/PC98 type art (minus the 8-bit pixilation); the city pop just makes it a relaxing and sometimes weird OVA to watch. That's something to be said of California Crisis: Gun Salvo too. Pretty heavy on color, line art, cel shading and stand-out background art make it at least visually enjoyable too.
Oo5HCGh.gif

The story is pretty simple and not to spoil the feature before you watch it (if you have not seen it) here's what you need to know:

1. Fast pacing to barely introduce the characters and get the story going to fill that 45-minutes
2. Many tropes from a JP perspective of 80's California
3. The story has elements which clearly show that Western film influenced the overall story. There's a scene that reminds me of the scene in Terminator (1984) where Sarah Connor & Kyle Reese camp out at a motel. Although there's nothing really 'Terminator' about this but little things like that which come to attention.
4. Aside from having a relaxing setting...the sci-fi parts get weird but then again, that's really what the story was all about.

Overall all, story has many continuity gaps in it which could be for a number of reasons that I don't have the answer to. This was pretty common with OVAs around this time too. However, it's only 45-minutes of your time and it's been on YouTube for almost a decade if I recall through different uploaders. Reason being...it was only released on VHS in Japan. This title never made it outside Japan and likely never will see a DVD or blu-ray release in the West or anywhere else.

GAF Retro Anime Flick of the Week: CALIFORNIA CRISIS: GUN SALVO (Full OVA)

(English fansub w/ original Japanese mono audio. Take it as it is -- it's a VHS rip and considering the VHS was only released once; it was likely already a bit choppy when this was uploaded)

wl3adfR.jpg

California Crisis: Gun Salvo OVA

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Not sure where everyone got started with anime. Mine was really through VHS. I'd get on an old anime site, read through a list of titles which sometimes only contained 15 titles and pick the one with the most interesting synopsis. I purchased most of my VHS' on e Bay back then but did visit a few stores. Suncoast was in an adjacent city to me which I'd only stopped in a handful of times. However, they did seem to have the largest VHS collection of anime that I'd ever seen.

Here are some ads that came out. Seems like it was really anything goes too as some of these really weren't great titles but a fond memory of the VHS era. You could walk up and buy for what was on the box art or written on the back of the VHS alone. No trailers, no YouTube or online previews and not really a group of friends to give reference. Any particular place you started with? I'll ask Ladioss Ladioss and kunonabi kunonabi to start as I know most didn't start in the DVD-era.
KVAcgCt.jpg
wvJPuXU.jpg

All of the big anime titles are getting remade or spin-offs. Not sure what's spurring animators to do this. I don't mean to sound cliched but...it's all media no one asked for or needed. Goodness, to think some of these shows in their original run (Urusei Yatsura) ran close to 300 episodes or more...where do they suddenly 40-some years later 'find new stories.' The only anime that seems to maintain over the years of continuation in Lupin lll IMO.
Once again it's always to bring new fans and please those who want complete and/or more faithful adaptations, I definitely saw many UY fans hyped over the new one and same could be said for other anime remakes. It's not the same as western remakes that feel like pointless retreads of the original that either add nothing new to the table or straight up ruin it. (Not saying this doesn't happen in anime, but it's a rarity) in comparison. One thing I dislike though is that companies tend to burry the originals and act like the remakes replaced them when the older versions are also worth watching most of the time, same goes with gaming remakes.

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Once again it's always to bring new fans and please those who want complete and/or more faithful adaptations, I definitely saw many UY fans hyped over the new one and same could be said for other anime remakes. It's not the same as western remakes that feel like pointless retreads of the original that either add nothing new to the table or straight up ruin it. (Not saying this doesn't happen in anime, but it's a rarity) in comparison. One thing I dislike though is that companies tend to burry the originals and act like the remakes replaced them when the older versions are also worth watching most of the time, same goes with gaming remakes.
It worked with spin-offs in the 90's to bring fans back to an original franchise. Or more recently with...ahem your AV...Ushio & Pika-Tora ;)

I really wanted to like it buy I'm not made for non-traditionally animated anime. It's just me but I work a stint in animation and I left because pay was nothing and all the talk was to get 2D staff working on 3D or Flash. I will say this, the newer Ushio and Tora probably did bring in more fans because it worked more off the manga. But the OVA is where I stay with it in film...even though the last episode could have been a better pick.

I get they want fans from past/present for UY but why not expand on one of Takahaski's more recent manga titles that haven't been animated? Yes, they do want to blur the classic which in some cases have become hard to find.

Anyway, there's always this thread when you need to discuss the grainier, cel painted retro days.

Question non-related: Where'd you find the cool AV?

It worked with spin-offs in the 90's to bring fans back to an original franchise. Or more recently with...ahem your AV...Ushio & Pika-Tora ;)

I really wanted to like it buy I'm not made for non-traditionally animated anime. It's just me but I work a stint in animation and I left because pay was nothing and all the talk was to get 2D staff working on 3D or Flash. I will say this, the newer Ushio and Tora probably did bring in more fans because it worked more off the manga. But the OVA is where I stay with it in film...even though the last episode could have been a better pick.

I get they want fans from past/present for UY but why not expand on one of Takahaski's more recent manga titles that haven't been animated? Yes, they do want to blur the classic which in some cases have become hard to find.

Anyway, there's always this thread when you need to discuss the grainier, cel painted retro days.

Question non-related: Where'd you find the cool AV?
I got this from Deviantart, this was uploaded in the early 2000's, but was made earlier since according to the description, it was already old by then. So probably circa 1996 when Red/Green came out in Japan and the U&T manga was ending. (This also explains the fanart he made for characters that weren't present in the OVAs). The "Azafuse" part of my username is also U&T related to a certain concept that's introduced late into the manga (or halfway through the new anime). I also feel they could've chose a better story for the end considering the Kamaitachi storytakes place in the middle of a big arc that turns the series into a more serialized adventure ala Pokemon. They literary had the Oni story right there and already swapped Hyou and the Gamin arround anyways so continuity wasn't a big issue. Although, Insanity of the wind is one of the best stories in the entire series so I also don't blame them.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I got this from Deviantart, this was uploaded in the early 2000's, but was made earlier since according to the description, it was already old by then. So probably circa 1996 when Red/Green came out in Japan and the U&T manga was ending. (This also explains the fanart he made for characters that weren't present in the OVAs). The "Azafuse" part of my username is also U&T related to a certain concept that's introduced late into the manga (or halfway through the new anime). I also feel they could've chose a better story for the end considering the Kamaitachi storytakes place in the middle of a big arc that turns the series into a more serialized adventure ala Pokemon. They literary had the Oni story right there and already swapped Hyou and the Gamin arround anyways so continuity wasn't a big issue. Although, Insanity of the wind is one of the best stories in the entire series so I also don't blame them.
I like it but if I make a custom AV for Happosai, I'll need to ink that myself. I have many ideas but nothing on paper. Yours is one which I like quite a bit though.

I was doing some reading on the two versions of Ushio and Tora (OVA & TV from recent times). The writer gave a fair assessment of both (you can read back to part 1 (OVA) and part 2 (the TV series from the 2010's). They wrote a part 3 which does a comparison. I think for the retro community it helps to also be able to examine the difference between cel painting and digital inking. At any rate, check it out. It's relatively compact. Ushio & Tora has a fair comparison but when they remade Bastard!!...they'll never match the quality of animation in the OVA. To me, whether the adaptation matches the manga is not as important as how well the art direction/production is/was. Although, I'd make an exception to possibly watch the newer Ushio and Tora but not going to mess with these made-overnight Netflix reboots/remakes.

Valonquar

So I binged through DNA² and Video Girl Ai this week. I don't think I watched either since the days of fansub vhs slooooow trickle. I forgot just how short both shows were. Video Girl Ai OVAs were frustratingly short. Too bad they never finished out the story from the manga. One of the first anime cons I ever went to was Katsucon Ichi in Virginia, specifically because Katsura was going to be the headlining guest. We drove from Florida to see him... and he last minute canceled :( On the plus side some guy brought a Japanese PS1 to show off and it was like the week it came out in Japan. He had Ridge Racer, and the super awesome Twinbee Puzzle.

Decided to get through my backlog of older shows I haven't actually watched before. This gem is next:

I had a lot of friends super into KOR when it released, but like a lot of things in the early 90s, you had to go through some serious hoops to get fansubbed VHS, and something with 50+ episodes was just insane to deal with. I really like the use of color in this show so far, and it really stands out compared to other shows from the same time. Helps it's a super clear Blu-Ray restoration.

For some srs retro deep dives check out Kenny's Youtube Channel I find his stuff well researched and interesting anyhow.

Last edited:
Top Bottom