• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro AV Club Thread 2: Classic Gaming Done Right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobble

anyone know quick how to re-program my OSSC remote? i have the one that you could buy with them, seems to have lost connection to the OSSC. i'll dig around for the directions... they gotta be around here somewhere...

HideoKojimaJr

Neo Member
Cnkuu

Took a quick & dirty cell phone pic of my current retro setup just for giggles. Once I get things cleaned up a bit and take a better photo I'll add it to the retro setups/game rooms thread.

https://imgur.com/gallery/Cnkuu

Galdelico

Well, I guess I give up then. I was lucky enough to find a Trinitron XBR and even injured my back with it and it has a problem that can't be fixed easily. Guess I toss it and just go back to playing them on my 4K tv. Really sucks.
I don't mean to be the one putting the final nail in the coffin of your CRT experience, though. I live in a country - Italy - where it's always been extremely difficult to me (and pretty much impossible around my area) to get access to professional monitors, or to repair/maintenance services if needed. I've been on a quest to try and find a CRT TV with at least 'perfect' - as in, not visibly busted - geometry for years, only to realize I was wasting time, space and physical effort. That's why I (very happily) switched to an OSSC-only retro setup since a year or so, now.

I don't know where you're located, but judging from what I've read and seen in this thread, if you're in the US, you shouldn't give up so easily and keep looking around, as there are still plenty of opportunities to grab over there.

KyleCross

I don't mean to be the one putting the final nail in the coffin of your CRT experience, though. I live in a country - Italy - where it's always been extremely difficult to me (and pretty much impossible around my area) to get access to professional monitors, or to repair/maintenance services if needed. I've been on a quest to try and find a CRT TV with at least 'perfect' - as in, not visibly busted - geometry for years, only to realize I was wasting time, space and physical effort. That's why I (very happily) switched to an OSSC-only retro setup since a year or so, now.

I don't know where you're located, but judging from what I've read and seen in this thread, if you're in the US, you shouldn't give up so easily and keep looking around, as there are still plenty of opportunities to grab over there.

Aside from the geometry issues, I guess I'm just not impressed with the experience. I think I'm better off just sticking with emulation.

Now, I'm out 20 bucks and have a 100lb Sony Trinitron XBR in my house I gotta get rid of and I screwed my back up getting it here.

EDIT: And out it goes, out of my life. Thanks everyone who tried helping me, and hope I didn't disappoint anyone by giving up lol. Now I guess the real question is; is it worth buying anything like a Framemeister for primarily PS1, PS2, Xbox, Gamecube, and Wii or sticking with component cables?

televator

Aside from the geometry issues, I guess I'm just not impressed with the experience. I think I'm better off just sticking with emulation.

Now, I'm out 20 bucks and have a 100lb Sony Trinitron XBR in my house I gotta get rid of and I screwed my back up getting it here.

EDIT: And out it goes, out of my life. Thanks everyone who tried helping me, and hope I didn't disappoint anyone by giving up lol. Now I guess the real question is; is it worth buying anything like a Framemeister for primarily PS1, PS2, Xbox, Gamecube, and Wii or sticking with component cables?

Yes, it's agood life of hassle free geometry in the upscaler realm.

Mantrox

Finally got a PC Engine Duo-R.
The gates to this library are open!

Played a bunch of Splatterhouse during the weekend. The port is very good. You notice there is some detail missing here and there compared to arcade but other than that, just a very solid game.
After that, i tried Spriggan. What a nice experience. Good music fast scrolling action with good art, varied enemies, levels and a fun power up system to top it off.

Made a little vid of a run, on the CRT.
https://youtu.be/HAWqIDwwCEI?t=7m44s

dadjumper

Heck, I'm back. I posted earlier in this thread about the cheapest way to get a super famicom going on my HDTV, as I didn't want to commit to a crt or an upscaler (I've previously owned PVMs and a Framemeister).

Well, I decided fuck it and bought a 14" PVM. I live in a Japanese apartment so I couldn't justify owning a 20", even though I loved my old one. It should get delivered tomorrow morning. It's a 14M4J and seems fine as far as I can tell. I've ordered a SCART to BNC cable from an ebay seller.

I used to get all my cables from retro_console_accessories on eBay but it seems she's gotten even more popular lately and now only puts up her cables at a specific time of day. I've been checking back on the regular but have yet to see any go up.
Does anyone know if she's on a break from making them or something?
Any other sources for a good csync snes cable?

Heck, I'm back. I posted earlier in this thread about the cheapest way to get a super famicom going on my HDTV, as I didn't want to commit to a crt or an upscaler (I've previously owned PVMs and a Framemeister).

Well, I decided fuck it and bought a 14" PVM. I live in a Japanese apartment so I couldn't justify owning a 20", even though I loved my old one. It should get delivered tomorrow morning. It's a 14M4J and seems fine as far as I can tell. I've ordered a SCART to BNC cable from an ebay seller.

I used to get all my cables from retro_console_accessories on eBay but it seems she's gotten even more popular lately and now only puts up her cables at a specific time of day. I've been checking back on the regular but have yet to see any go up.
Does anyone know if she's on a break from making them or something?
Any other sources for a good csync snes cable?

I believe she decided to stop using ebay and make her own store instead. You can find it here.

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk is also good.

Peagles

Is there anything I need to know before buying a SNES/n64/GCN rgb cable to use with the OSSC? All my consoles are PAL.

I’m not 100% sure on the N64 as I haven’t bothered with modding a PAL N64 for RGB, but you’ll need two different cables. PAL SNES requires a PAL cable and GCN requires an NTSC cable. The N64 will use either of those. I wanna say it’ll use the NTSC cable but it might depend on the mod.

Peltz

So I know everyone here is obsessed with original hardware as I am. So I have a question for those who own an Xbox One - hows the emulation on Xbox 360 titles? Is it like the Wii (e.g. mostly good but some quirks here and there) or like the X360 emulating the OG Xbox (e.g. lots of slowdown and noticeable issues for a vast portion of the library)?

I’m not 100% sure on the N64 as I haven’t bothered with modding a PAL N64 for RGB, but you’ll need two different cables. PAL SNES requires a PAL cable and GCN requires an NTSC cable. The N64 will use either of those. I wanna say it’ll use the NTSC cable but it might depend on the mod.
Thanks, thats a bit annoying they need different cables so I might just grab the ntsc one. I won't actually use it on my n64 since that has the UltraHDMI mod. I just figured the same cable would work for all 3 consoles because of that connector they all shared.

Peagles

Thanks, thats a bit annoying they need different cables so I might just grab the ntsc one. I won't actually use it on my n64 since that has the UltraHDMI mod. I just figured the same cable would work for all 3 consoles because of that connector they all shared.

Yeh it kinda sucks. PAL SNES is just this odd outlier. If you use a regular cable you get a great image for like 3 seconds then it fades to black and doesn't come back. I use one type of cable for my US SNES, Super Famicom, NTSC N64, and PAL GCN but that damn PAL SNES wants to do its own thing.

Vespa

Yeh it kinda sucks. PAL SNES is just this odd outlier. If you use a regular cable you get a great image for like 3 seconds then it fades to black and doesn't come back. I use one type of cable for my US SNES, Super Famicom, NTSC N64, and PAL GCN but that damn PAL SNES wants to do its own thing.

My PAL SNES does that and I had to remove the caps in the SCART to make it work but oddly my other SNES, which is a 1-chip PAL, is fine with the same cable I use on the GC/N64 which surprised me.

Was wondering when that would come out. Love how it looks way way more then the NES one too, wish that would get a redesign.
yet still hope there will be a more US looking shell made avalible. :3
. Future seems so bright for these FPGA systems. Now we just need someone to start working on a modern version of CRT tech imo. Just imagine a world where you could just buy new BVM quality monitors.

if Kevtris drops a jailbreak firmware like the NT Mini, I wonder if the FPGA would be sophisticated enough to run Sega CD and PCE CD stuff.

dubc35

I haven't been too interested in other FPGA systems (or a FM or OSSC either) but I kind of want one of these. Would SD2SNES's work on this?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I haven't been too interested in other FPGA systems (or a FM or OSSC either) but I kind of want one of these. Would SD2SNES's work on this?
Assuming Kevtris does a good job with the FPGA it would act just like a real SNES and would work. The better question is whether or not he'd release a jailbroken firmware so you wouldn't even need an SD2SNES.

We should take this discussion to the thread about it.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1448612

So I know everyone here is obsessed with original hardware as I am. So I have a question for those who own an Xbox One - hows the emulation on Xbox 360 titles? Is it like the Wii (e.g. mostly good but some quirks here and there) or like the X360 emulating the OG Xbox (e.g. lots of slowdown and noticeable issues for a vast portion of the library)?

It's great. Games have much better framerate and with the improvements for bc coming with the X it's going to be the definitive way to play 360 games

Timu

It's a vast improvement over xbox on 360 games, in fact some games run better on X1 than 360 and screen tearing is always gone due to X1's vsync.

decaf

Hi folks. Recently bought my first PVM, a 20M2MDE HR Trinitron. As it cost a few bob I’m keen to use cables that provide the best-quality signals for the unit.

IF6LtSW.jpg

I’m concerned about buying the wrong cables, so if someone could please advise which cables provide the best quality signal for the following consoles I’d be much obliged:

- SG-1000 (Japanese)
- Master System (Original, British)
- Mega Drive (Original, British)
- Saturn (British, but also have Japanese)
- Dreamcast (British) — is VGA better/possible?

Am I right in thinking I can “only” hook up two systems at once to this PVM?

Also, I’m eager to hear any recommendations for sound/video mods for any of the above systems to improve output, alongside recommendations for better hardware (NTSC models? Mark III with FM chip?).

Cheers!

It's a vast improvement over xbox on 360 games, in fact some games run better on X1 than 360 and screen tearing is always gone due to X1's vsync.

^This

However I still have issues booting games with my xbox one due to its buggy OS. Sometimes games fail to launch properly for me despite being in the drive. Installing game wrappers can take forever where as putting a disc into a 360 drive is sometimes so much more convenient. The library needs to be expanded much more still. There are boatloads of gems that can be brought over still. But for what is there, they all perform wonderfully on the Xbox One. Reach's improvements are so damn good that I sort of forgive them for not porting it because now the campaign plays so nicely(minus the weird FXAA-ish implementation).

The only other issue I can think of is that there are no legacy inputs for Xbox One without conversion so you can't play your console on a PVM/CRT using component-to-BNC or s-video

Peltz

Hi folks. Recently bought my first PVM, a 20M2MDE HR Trinitron. As it cost a few bob I’m keen to use cables that provide the best-quality signals for the unit.

IF6LtSW.jpg

I’m concerned about buying the wrong cables, so if someone could please advise which cables provide the best quality signal for the following consoles I’d be much obliged:

- SG-1000 (Japanese)
- Master System (Original, British)
- Mega Drive (Original, British)
- Saturn (British, but also have Japanese)
- Dreamcast (British) — is VGA better/possible?

Am I right in thinking I can “only” hook up two systems at once to this PVM?

Also, I’m eager to hear any recommendations for sound/video mods for any of the above systems to improve output, alongside recommendations for better hardware (NTSC models? Mark III with FM chip?).

Cheers!

VGA is not possible on that monitor because the max resolution is 240p/480i and VGA has a minimum resolution of 480p. I can't comment on SG-1000, but for everything else, use a SCART cable with a SCART to BNC converter.

It's all very self explanatory once you get that converter. Just bear in mind there are two types of cables that look alike - European SCART and Japanese 21 pin cables. They look the exact same, but have different pin layouts and can damage your equipment if you mix the two formats.

decaf

VGA is not possible on that monitor because the max resolution is 240p/480i and VGA has a minimum resolution of 480p. I can't comment on SG-1000, but for everything else, use a SCART cable with a SCART to BNC converter.

It's all very self explanatory once you get that converter. Just bear in mind there are two types of cables that look alike - European SCART and Japanese 21 pin cables. They look the exact same, but have different pin layouts and can damage your equipment if you mix the two formats.

Thanks Peltz. I'm guessing I need one or two of these along with a couple of stereo to mono adapters will do the trick?

An actual PS2 is perfect whereas PCSX2 has a lot of quirks. Checking wikis and tweaking configs gets old fast.

I also really like the way PS2 looks out of an actual system, like even in 480i it has a totally unique look to it.

Timu

An actual PS2 is perfect whereas PCSX2 has a lot of quirks. Checking wikis and tweaking configs gets old fast.

I also really like the way PS2 looks out of an actual system, like even in 480i it has a totally unique look to it.
I hope someday PCSX2 can be near perfect, it would make every PS2 game shine, make them look better not just in image quality but other graphical features like anisotropic filtering and maybe even run better as well. For now, the PS2 is definitely the way to go.

dadjumper

I believe she decided to stop using ebay and make her own store instead. You can find it here.

Aha! That makes sense! I've since gone ahead with her "customer request" system on her eBay profile, but good to know for the future, thanks!

Are hers still the best way to go? I believe I had some problems with Retro Gaming Cables back in the day.

Edit: separate question, only partially AV Club related: what's the best way to play Starfox 2 on original hardware? I'm not sure I want a flashcart because it would devalue the fun of buying carts for me. I've seen repro carts kicking around but they're overpriced and seem explotative. Any other options?

KyleCross

Gah, my PS2 just scared me after rehooking it back up to my proper tv. Reds were pink, blues were green, etc. I jiggled the cable by the AV port and that fixed it. My AV port on my PS2 has been loose for years, guess it's finally starting to cause problems.

Man, I wish I could land a slim PS2 for cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom