Retro-Bit's officially licensed (wireless and wired) Genesis/MD and Saturn controllers coming in November

Oct 9, 2013
This is a month old, but I had totally forgotten about these things: http://retro-bit.com/blog/post/retrobit-unveils-first-wave-of-officially-licensed-sega-products/

Retro-Bit, a premier publisher and manufacturer of classic gaming products, is proud to announce the unveiling of their eagerly awaited SEGA controller lineup, featuring the same great quality as their original hardware counterparts like the original console port, but also with modern upgrades such as a USB® port for PC compatibility and Bluetooth® wireless technology. The complete first line of the officially licensed Retro-Bit SEGA products will arrive this November and include:
  • Genesis Wired 6-Button Original Port Controller (Black, Clear Blue)
  • Genesis Wired 8-Button USB® Port Controller (Black, Clear Blue)
  • Genesis Bluetooth® Controller (Black)
  • Genesis Bluetooth® Receiver
  • Megadrive Wired 6-Button Original Port Controller (Black, Clear Blue)
  • Megadrive Wired 8-Button USB® Port Controller (Black, Clear Blue)
  • Megadrive Bluetooth® Controller (Black)
  • Megadrive Bluetooth® Receiver
  • Saturn Wired Original Port Controller (Black, Slate Grey)
  • Saturn Wired USB® Port Controller (Black, Slate Grey)
  • Saturn Bluetooth® Controller (Black)
  • Saturn Bluetooth® Receiver
I really hope they are of good quality.

Oct 9, 2013
What about the Dreamcast? I'm sure that they were doing that also.
They are. From the sounds of it, it sounds like that is coming at a later date. I know I can't wait to get my hands on the Dreamcast one. I just hope the feel is close to the same.

Here's a video of these controllers from Gamescom:

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Jun 8, 2004
I could go for a nice USB Saturn controller. It would be a nice, comfy gamepad option for fighting games I reckon. =)

Oct 6, 2018
It looks like these are now available for pre-order on amazon uk (priced from £17.99 to £42.99, with an estimated release date of 31st January 2019).

I'm really tempted, but am also a little apprehensive after already having had the d-pad on one of their saturn controller clones break after only a couple of weeks of use. That said, these new ones are officially licensed and around twice the price of the old cloned ones, so hopefully the quality will be much better.

I'm personally interested in the one with analogue sticks so that I can play 3D as well as 2D games. Although I generally prefer using asymmetrical analogue sticks (like the Xbox controller has), being able to use a Saturn controller for modern games might prove too tempting to resist!

Oct 6, 2018
Since they already added analogue sticks to the Saturn controller, it would be interesting to see whether or not they decide to add a second analogue stick to their upcoming Dreamcast controllers. They would almost certainly be asymmetric, as the second added stick would surely be added below the 4 buttons on the right hand side of the controller.

By the way, here is a link showing the back of the Megadrive/Genesis bluetooth analogue controller. It looks like both shoulder buttons and trigger buttons have been added as well. It looks pretty thick!

Jun 10, 2008
aw man if these are good I'm going to buy so many of these my genesis controllers are in such bad shape

The Dreamcast controller is the only controller that hurt my hands to use so fuck that

Oct 6, 2018
Do we know the compatible consoles ? Will it work with PS4, XBox One and Switch ?
While I can find confirmation right now, I'm 99% certain that these will be compatible with modern consoles and PC (at least the analogue ones will). First of all, double analogue sticks would be worthless on a Saturn, as no Saturn games utilise them. Secondly, I think the market for controllers usable only on the Saturn would be pretty small.

If anybody doesn't want to wait until January, then another option would be to buy a 2nd hand Japanese Saturn controller online and pair it up with a USB converter. This is what I've been using since my clone controller broke and it's been working great for 2D PC games. Plus you get to choose from these funky colours (it's a shame that these new retrobit ones only have the black and transparent versions):

Oct 9, 2013
Do we know the compatible consoles ? Will it work with PS4, XBox One and Switch ?
I want to know this too. I couldn't find anything.

I would think if the wireless ones are not, 8bitdo will make it compatible somehow with their USB stick to use on these consoles.

I hope it is officially compatbile from retro bit though. That would be amazing.

Oct 9, 2013
Update: This is from their CES show. They're now saying they're launching in February, but it looks like just for the wired ones. The bluetooth controllers look to be coming at a later date (April 1st).

They also now have a 2.4ghz option for wireless to go along with the bluetooth options. They have the date of release for the 2.4ghz ones at May 1st.

Bluetooth:

2.4ghz:

Oct 9, 2013
Here we go. Sounds very encouraging about the quality. MadLittlePixel has one of the Saturn and Genesis controllers and he says you can not tell the difference between the originals and Retro Bits. He says they nailed it. Starts at the 4:20 mark if you don't want to watch the whole vid:

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2018
Sounds great if true for the actual products outside the show floor and of course if they're also as sturdy and last the same internally and externally too. The price has me worried honestly, if that compromises the quality in any way with shortcuts taken I'll be disappointed, I'd rather pay an extra 20 for an awesome controller, otherwise Hori Fighting Commander will still be best over it anyway even if it costs 30 more.

Last edited: