• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-Bit's officially licensed (wireless and wired) Genesis/MD and Saturn controllers coming in November

dolabla

This is a month old, but I had totally forgotten about these things: http://retro-bit.com/blog/post/retrobit-unveils-first-wave-of-officially-licensed-sega-products/

Sega-Eblast.jpg

Retro-Bit, a premier publisher and manufacturer of classic gaming products, is proud to announce the unveiling of their eagerly awaited SEGA controller lineup, featuring the same great quality as their original hardware counterparts like the original console port, but also with modern upgrades such as a USB® port for PC compatibility and Bluetooth® wireless technology. The complete first line of the officially licensed Retro-Bit SEGA products will arrive this November and include:
  • Genesis Wired 6-Button Original Port Controller (Black, Clear Blue)
  • Genesis Wired 8-Button USB® Port Controller (Black, Clear Blue)
  • Genesis Bluetooth® Controller (Black)
  • Genesis Bluetooth® Receiver
  • Megadrive Wired 6-Button Original Port Controller (Black, Clear Blue)
  • Megadrive Wired 8-Button USB® Port Controller (Black, Clear Blue)
  • Megadrive Bluetooth® Controller (Black)
  • Megadrive Bluetooth® Receiver
  • Saturn Wired Original Port Controller (Black, Slate Grey)
  • Saturn Wired USB® Port Controller (Black, Slate Grey)
  • Saturn Bluetooth® Controller (Black)
  • Saturn Bluetooth® Receiver
I really hope they are of good quality.

I hope they don't become scarce and scalpers capitalize on it. If they're good quality, I'm definitely gonna get the Clear blur Genesis controller.

dolabla

What about the Dreamcast? I'm sure that they were doing that also.

They are. From the sounds of it, it sounds like that is coming at a later date. I know I can't wait to get my hands on the Dreamcast one. I just hope the feel is close to the same.

Here's a video of these controllers from Gamescom:

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
I could go for a nice USB Saturn controller. It would be a nice, comfy gamepad option for fighting games I reckon. =)

Kazza

It looks like these are now available for pre-order on amazon uk (priced from £17.99 to £42.99, with an estimated release date of 31st January 2019).

I'm really tempted, but am also a little apprehensive after already having had the d-pad on one of their saturn controller clones break after only a couple of weeks of use. That said, these new ones are officially licensed and around twice the price of the old cloned ones, so hopefully the quality will be much better.

I'm personally interested in the one with analogue sticks so that I can play 3D as well as 2D games. Although I generally prefer using asymmetrical analogue sticks (like the Xbox controller has), being able to use a Saturn controller for modern games might prove too tempting to resist!

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
I too am intrigued by the ones with analog sticks, although they look like they may be too far down to use comfortably for long periods of time.

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
The analog one is what the Dreamcast controller should have been or at least something like it.

Kazza

Since they already added analogue sticks to the Saturn controller, it would be interesting to see whether or not they decide to add a second analogue stick to their upcoming Dreamcast controllers. They would almost certainly be asymmetric, as the second added stick would surely be added below the 4 buttons on the right hand side of the controller.

By the way, here is a link showing the back of the Megadrive/Genesis bluetooth analogue controller. It looks like both shoulder buttons and trigger buttons have been added as well. It looks pretty thick!

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
aw man if these are good I'm going to buy so many of these my genesis controllers are in such bad shape

The Dreamcast controller is the only controller that hurt my hands to use so fuck that

Kazza

Do we know the compatible consoles ? Will it work with PS4, XBox One and Switch ?

While I can find confirmation right now, I'm 99% certain that these will be compatible with modern consoles and PC (at least the analogue ones will). First of all, double analogue sticks would be worthless on a Saturn, as no Saturn games utilise them. Secondly, I think the market for controllers usable only on the Saturn would be pretty small.

If anybody doesn't want to wait until January, then another option would be to buy a 2nd hand Japanese Saturn controller online and pair it up with a USB converter. This is what I've been using since my clone controller broke and it's been working great for 2D PC games. Plus you get to choose from these funky colours (it's a shame that these new retrobit ones only have the black and transparent versions):

Saturn_HSS-0101-2.png

Saturn_HSS-0101-1.png

dolabla

Do we know the compatible consoles ? Will it work with PS4, XBox One and Switch ?

I want to know this too. I couldn't find anything.

I would think if the wireless ones are not, 8bitdo will make it compatible somehow with their USB stick to use on these consoles.

I hope it is officially compatbile from retro bit though. That would be amazing.

dolabla

Update: This is from their CES show. They're now saying they're launching in February, but it looks like just for the wired ones. The bluetooth controllers look to be coming at a later date (April 1st).

They also now have a 2.4ghz option for wireless to go along with the bluetooth options. They have the date of release for the 2.4ghz ones at May 1st.

Bluetooth:

DwfuiXKUcAERWFX

DwfuiXJU0AAbLCh

DwfuiXKVYAAaUWu

2.4ghz:

DwfupYXU0AA2gGA

DwfupYYUcAApTKE

dolabla

The wired ones are what I'm interested in anyway so that works out fine for me.

I really hope there's some way to pair these wireless controllers to the Switch, PS4 or Xbox One. I really want that Saturn analog controller for the newer consoles. Hopefully 8Bitdo will have us covered :)

dolabla

Here we go. Sounds very encouraging about the quality. MadLittlePixel has one of the Saturn and Genesis controllers and he says you can not tell the difference between the originals and Retro Bits. He says they nailed it. Starts at the 4:20 mark if you don't want to watch the whole vid:

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Sounds great if true for the actual products outside the show floor and of course if they're also as sturdy and last the same internally and externally too. The price has me worried honestly, if that compromises the quality in any way with shortcuts taken I'll be disappointed, I'd rather pay an extra 20 for an awesome controller, otherwise Hori Fighting Commander will still be best over it anyway even if it costs 30 more.

Last edited:

dolabla

They posted some closer shots of the controllers (Dreamcast and 3D Saturn is on there too) on their Instagram:

I can't get this second Instagram (it keeps saying it's been removed) to post on here so here is a direct link to the post that includes the Dreamcast and 3D Saturn controllers.: https://tinyurl.com/yb4txd8w

dolabla

They have the Saturn both black and translucent grey (Original and USB) now for pre-order on Amazon. Genesis isn't on there yet. Release date is April 15th for these Saturn controllers.

Original Translucent Slate Grey ($19.99): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P16WC6V/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Original Black ($19.99): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P2BS42K/?tag=neogaf0e-20

USB Black ($24.99): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NY43VCR/?tag=neogaf0e-20

USB Translucent Slate Grey ($24.99): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NZ2T32L/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Kazza

Looking forward to these, but I hope they release the white version with coloured buttons someday. It looks like the controllers with the added analogue sticks are coming in September.

dolabla

Looking forward to these, but I hope they release the white version with coloured buttons someday. It looks like the controllers with the added analogue sticks are coming in September.

Nice! I see the Mega Drive pro version is releasing the same day too.

I'm hoping they will say something about the Dreamcast controllers soon. I assume they are still doing those.

Wonko_C

Will the Saturn USB controller work with PS4? (I'm guessing no) or is there an adapter that could do the trick?

dolabla

Will the Saturn USB controller work with PS4? (I'm guessing no) or is there an adapter that could do the trick?

I've not seen anything yet about it working with PS4, Switch or X1. I've seen people ask them, but they don't ever seem to respond. It would be nice if it works right out of the box. If it doesn't, I'm sure there will be some type of work around via adapter.

Last edited:

dolabla

Honestly, I'm much more excited about 8bitdo's new controllers. I trust them far more than I trust Retrobit.

I'm probably gonna grab one of those 8bitdo's next month.

I really hope these are of good quality. The vid I posted above from Mad Little Pixel sounds encouraging. He says you can't tell a difference between the orginals and these from Retro Bit.

Alexios

Really hoping these are top quality like the originals, then people will finally have an alternative to the Hori Fighting Commander for this kind of Saturn style 6-face-button controller. The low price I last heard ($20?) makes me wary but hey, that would be pretty damn competitive to say the least.

Same for 8bitdo's M30, though I wish it was purdy like the Saturn pad instead of the shape they went for. They do seem to be making the d-pad how it should be at least so we'll see, others reported d-pad issues for previous controllers of theirs and that's super important to get right this time.

That said, 8bitdo and every other company should have them work in wired mode too, not separate wired versions either, would that really add much to the cost? Then make it a ~30 pad rather than ~28 (EU, or 33 vs 30 USD), I'd pay to have the option like I do when using a DS4 on my PC.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
can anyone that actually knows what og controllers played like tell me if this is great .
the 8bit snes sf30 where sheit
they looked amazing but where sheit

Last edited:

Kazza

Unboxing video of the Megadrive versions (video on the Saturn ones coming soon):

I was worried about the low price, but from this video at least the product looks high quality (even the packaging looks on point). I wasn't initially too keen on the blue one, but they look really great here.

Alexios

Can't wait for people who have original controllers to try the Saturn pads and stress test them in actual gaming and stuff, playing the likes of SF and KOF maybe, or even simpler games like Metal Slug, the accuracy of the buttons and d-pad will matter either way :)

Last edited:

HyGogg

Banned
Hmm... These or the new 8bitdo M30? I have a Megadrive-themed Retropie build that is hungry for a matching controller.

I got the Megadrive-skinned N30 which had matchy colors but it would be nice to have a real Genesis pad for fighters and Genny games.

dolabla

Hmm... These or the new 8bitdo M30? I have a Megadrive-themed Retropie build that is hungry for a matching controller.

I got the Megadrive-skinned N30 which had matchy colors but it would be nice to have a real Genesis pad for fighters and Genny games.

The M30 comes out in a few days. So you can get that one sooner. Or you can get one to hold you over until these come out :p. Hopefully both are gonna be of good quality.

I'm thinking of going ahead and pre-ordering the 2.4ghz M30 myself.

Alexios

Fuck man, I'm already giddy with a mix of nostalgia and hype just by watching that, never mind actually getting to hold one in my hands once they're proof tested for their build quality, innards, d-pad feel, etc. The look is SPOT.ON!

He compares the transparent model with an original Saturn controller and it's 99% identical (the mold only misses lettering on the inside that would be invisible if it wasn't transparent), hopefully the new PCB which is the only real difference is on par.

$20 for the Saturn console versions, I missed him mentioning the price for the USB port variants for PC/Mac/Whatever but if it's like the Genesis pads they will have a $5 difference. I'm in for the black like mine was back in the '90s.

That said, maybe the modern Hori Fighting Commander button layout is objectively better, not having the smaller buttons (which were kinda hard too iirc) for the top row (x y z). But if the d-pad is as good as the originals then these will beat the Hori for me anyway, even aside the lower price!

It would have been sweet if, with the modern button layout versions they're doing, with dual analog and 4 shoulder buttons and start/select and such on top of the 6 face buttons, they used the Saturn 3D Control Pad's analog stick and analog triggers. But I don't think they're doing that sadly.
61qexQlSPxL._SL1058_.jpg

I'm guessing these versions will cost the standard ~50 but who knows, maybe they'll be surprisingly cheap too. But yeah, let's just hope all these are good first, cheap second :)

Last edited:

BlackTron

These look great, but if I'm reading this right, there's *three* versions?

-One with a USB connector
-One with an OG hardware connector
-One with wireless bluetooth
-Actually, maybe even one more with 2.4ghz wireless instead of bluetooth

I really like this whole idea, but can I maybe get a wired OR wireless controller, with an OG hardware port, and a USB adapter for it? I mean, this is like, a different controller for every one of life's moments lol.

Kazza

Amazon now lists them as currently unavailable, just a few days ago you could still preorder them.

Maybe they're out of stock. wow, that was quick! On the UK site at least, it seems that most models are still available.

Alexios

Hardware Review: Retro-Bit's Sega Genesis And Saturn Pads (Mostly) Hit The Right Spot
First things first, the rolling D-Pad on both pads is utterly, utterly superb. It's responsive and comfortable to use and is arguably the dream interface for games like Street Fighter. Because it rolls smoothly, executing those quarter and half-circle inputs is a breeze. This is perhaps one of the hardest aspects of a controller to properly nail, and Retro-Bit has passed with flying colours.
Retro-Bit has come under fire in the past for cutting corners on some of its products, but it's clear that this collaboration with Sega is a matter of pride for the firm; both of these controllers have been designed and manufactured to the same specification as the pads on which they are based, and offer Sega fans a viable means of replacing their ageing controllers without having to pay through the nose on the secondary market. The slightly different feel to the Saturn controller's buttons – and the (hopefully) limited issue we had with the black Saturn pad's Start button – count against it, but in practice, these are a dream to use and well worth a look if your existing pads have seen better days.

Last edited:

dolabla

I just got my 8Bitdo M30 2.4ghz controller in tonight. Been playing with it for a little over an hour now. Played Mortal Kombat and TMNT Hyperstone Heist. Gotta say, this controller feels amazing. The D-Pad is great. I'm gonna do more playing around, but so far this thing is a winner.

Alexios

I preordered a Retro-bit Saturn USB pad last night from Amazon DE as I wanted some other stuff and figured I'll get them combined, it's so cheap too! I'll mostly use it with Saturn and other emulators and modern retro games, fighters etc. I hope they don't ship later than the intended date.

I just googled to find more reviews and Destructoid's came up.
https://www.destructoid.com/review-...-genesis-sega-saturn-controllers-544719.phtml
The real king here is the d-pad. The original Japanese Saturn controller's d-pad was exceptional, and Retro-Bit's pad feels identical. Since I have several to play with, I made sure to compare them between one another. Generally speaking, I have noticed a few times small differences in quality between products of the same kind from third-party manufacturers, but here, that was absolutely not the case. They were all masterfully built, consistent, and as far as I can tell, spot-on to the original design, with a generous 10-foot-long cable to boot.

This is a little shocking to be honest because while I like Retro-Bit as a company, and have enjoyed some of its products, I didn't expect accuracy or build quality on this level. I played some of the toughest games at my disposal, some requiring frame-perfect input, and even did a speedrun of Ecco the Dolphin. And there was not a flaw to be found here. I don't know the manufacturing process behind them, but I am convinced that Retro-Bit simply got all the molds for the original design and just built them as if they were new old stock. They are that good.

Retro-Bit, simply put, has developed the only aftermarket Genesis and Saturn controllers worth buying. If you love these controllers, and if your own are worn down or if you want a good USB input option, I cannot recommend these highly enough.
If I love it then maybe when it's time to replace my DualShock4 for modern PC game use (if ever?) I'll get their own Saturn-with-analog-sticks pad, if it can work wired also, since it only costs a bit more than a Hori Fighting Commander which only has classic inputs like Retro-bit's cheap stuff.

Last edited:

Alexios

That's what most impressions and reviews say so far, that it's identical. Some say the buttons might feel a bit different but not problematic. And the shoulder buttons are regular not with microswitches. Of course I can't know how well they know the original themselves but they claim so.

Last edited:

Wonko_C

I'm still waiting for amazon to stock the Saturn USB controllers. The Genesis one is available to purchase but I really want it only for fighting games and I've heard people saying the Saturn controller is the one with the best-ever D-pad for fighters. Should I just wait or is the Genesis controller just as good? Also which controller feels better in your hands?

Last edited:
Top Bottom