• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro City Rampage DX stealth released today for PSP on PSN in North America

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I do admire his determination, but at the same time the constant porting of one okay game is bordering on narcicissm at this point.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I just don't fucking get it. This game is profoundly mediocre and I don't understand why it needs to be on every system ever. Actually, that commitment to absurdity is probably the only noteworthy thing about RCR.

Dude really doesnt want to make another game does he? Dude is a port machine.

This thing will be ported to the Dreamcast soon enough.

edit.

Shakedown Hawaii. Shit. I remember hearing about that.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
how, i mean, is psn still active on psp? I was under the impression sony did cut that allready, no?

Accoun

how, i mean, is psn still active on psp? I was under the impression sony did cut that allready, no?

Buying is IIRC. I think you can still download directly if you want, but you can also just connect it to a PS3 (4 too?) and download via it.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
Buying is IIRC. I think you can still download directly if you want, but you can also just connect it to a PS3 (4 too?) and download via it.

so you cant get the game directly through psp? you have to buy it through brwoser or ps3 first before you can download it?

I wouldnt be surprised if this game stays under 100 purchases on vita. Especially as it apparently was ported to every other system under the sun allready. Anyone who wanted to play it propably allready has it on one of the other systems. CAnt imagine someone be like "ah, nope, ill wait for the psp version".

Accoun

CAnt imagine someone be like "ah, nope, ill wait for the psp version".

Probably something he's done in his spare time as an exercise or for fun and that he can sell. Like the DOS version he did earlier (although that was free for owners of the game on newer PCs. I assume there's no cross-buy for PSP at all?). Because why not?

Or he just REALLY wants for the game to be on everything he can put it on.

ChrisD

I'd port my own game to everything too, just for kicks.

"Do you want the Windows DOS version, PSP, PS4-- oh, you want an NES version? Sure let me get on that as well, why not?"

Seems like a long way to go for a publicity stunt. We get it, it's "retro". Damn.

It's his game. He's a senior programmer. It's not like he has this big crew making games for him. If he wants to port to DOS or PSP or Vectrex, why not?

As a gamer, yes, I'm more interested in what he's working on next, but as a fan of console history I like that he tries to keep the knowledge of working on those older platforms alive.

MacTag said:
He continues refusing to do a native Wii U port but he does this?

I don't know his reasoning but I imagine there are some fees involved? Can't imagine you can ship for free.

Takao

Banned
He continues refusing to do a native Wii U port but he does this?

He was working on DS and PSP versions of the game before their successors came out. In May he said the PSP version was 99% complete, so I guess he put in the other 1% for novelty.

The reason he gave for no Wii U release was that you could play the Wii version on it. You can't exactly play the Vita version on PSP lol.

You have to buy it through the webstore or PS3, but you can still directly download it on PSP via the download list.

Takao

Banned
http://vblank.com/20160719.php
rcrdx_ps4_psp_2016_crop.jpg
]
Surprise! Retro City Rampage: DX is out now for PSP, and it's FREE for all PS4, PS3 & PS Vita owners! This makes it a momentous 4X Cross Buy !

Surprise, again! Due to the overwhelming requests, the PS4 retail version is being re-released, with brand new cover and disc art! The first 3,000 copies of this new version are individually numbered, and include a PSP manual and retail display set, commemorating the new PSP version.

The PSP port surprisingly dates back to '09. It was shelved in favor of the PS Vita version, but after the success of the PS4, PS Vita and MS-DOS retail releases, the dream of having the game on UMD suddenly seemed viable. I started finishing it up as a side project, but unfortunately, UMD production halted without warning and made that impossible.

Despite the news, I decided to release it anyway; digitally, for free to owners of the PS4, PS3 and PS Vita versions. Plus, UMD or not, it's still getting a special PSP retail display set, included with the first 3,000 copies of the new PS4 Retail Version! In addition to those, you can download the UMD disc label digitally, here, and see what could've been.

The PSP was one of the first platforms I worked on after entering the industry, and RCR:DX's PSP version is my opportunity to give it a nice send off. The handheld will always hold a place in my heart, both as a gamer and as a developer.

With UMD production discontinued and the PS Store on PSP closed, Retro City Rampage: DX will likely mark the final PSP game ever released, but it can still be downloaded onto your PSP via your download list, or via USB using your PS3 or PC.

PSP version will be out in EU next week.

Shiggy

I just don't fucking get it. This game is profoundly mediocre and I don't understand why it needs to be on every system ever. Actually, that commitment to absurdity is probably the only noteworthy thing about RCR.

It's actually pretty good, was surprised when I played it on 3DS, and am somewhat looking forward to the successor now.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Okay, so, this is a personal and somewhat complex web of nonsense involving a highly unstable individual I was friends and briefly FWBs with, but I can only assume there will be a never-ending clusterfuck on gaf now until the end of time, which inevitably involves you guys and gals on the mod team in some way, so I'm an open book here. The woman in question ended up being completely psychotic and held a grudge against me after a bizarre love triangle situation developed a few years ago between me, her, and another girl (the other girl I ended up in a long-term relationship with shortly thereafter). This NOLA story she apparently just put up on social media is a delusion of a deeply disturbed person who had a total psychological breakdown as a result of me and the other girl getting together, because she (phew, yeah...) became obsessively infatuated with the other girl (she's bi) on sight when the three of us met up. I wanted to just stay friends with the girl making the accusation and made it super super clear ahead of time that me and the other girl were interested in each other romantically and that could play out as such when we met up. Supposedly this was not a problem for her from accusation, but in reality she uhhh wanted me to die painfully after seeing me and the other girl interact. Plus she became infatuated with the other girl simultaneously to this (she's bi), which created the aforementioned bizarre love triangle that ended up causing her to implode and have an apparently very intense and long-lasting grudge. The whole story about how that love triangle thing played out is, frankly, nuts and scary, and involves this girl bringing us to a compound of dangerous scientology spinoff cultists on that same trip, who roofied us, attempted to recruit/scam me and attempted to abduct/rape the girl I ended up dating, in what was a fucking scary situation that resulted in me and the other girl and the rest of my friend circle never speaking to this girl from the accusation again.

So much negativity in this thread.

I'm sure the developer realizes he's going to make very little, if any, money from this. I'd imagine he's simply challenging himself as a programmer/developer.

Other benefits I can think of is that this keeps communication channels open with Sony ("Hey my new game is going to be a while, here's a new version of my old game. Don't forget about me!" lol)

SURGEdude

Just want to point out that the PSP version apparently runs fine in VHBL on Vita. Not that there's much of a point in running a cross-buy PSP game emulated on a Vita, but hey it's pretty cool none the less.

Not a huge fan of the game but I love his commitment and dedication. Bought the DOS version for kicks.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Haha 4x cross buy is awesome. I might dig out my PSP and get it going for the sake of novelty.

Edit: ah, need to wait for EU release.

MooMilk2929

I'm sure the guy is making it for psp out of love for the system. The guy who makes the Gens/GS emulator for PC says he still wants to make a Wii port despite the wii hacking scene being just about dead now. Everyone's moved onto WiiU.

Top Bottom