• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro EMULATORS for Xbox Series X|S / One - Download Links, NO MODDING, NO DEV-MODE

Banned
gone christmas GIF

dammit :messenger_frowning_

so update on that, apparently the PCSX2 team wasn't happy about him uploading it to the Xbox store without them approving it...

they seem pissed from what I've seen on twitter.

not sure why tho... like, they seem a bit overly dramatic lol

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
so update on that, apparently the PCSX2 team wasn't happy about him uploading it to the Xbox store without them approving it...

Probably uploaded without the PCSX2 team's permission

FTyU_4jWQAAu94J

jaysius

Banned
On my Series X I get stuttering in SMG 1 and SMG 2 not when there's load like heavy action, just consistently no matter what's going on on screen, what can I do to fix this?

Banned
On my Series X I get stuttering in SMG 1 and SMG 2 not when there's load like heavy action, just consistently no matter what's going on on screen, what can I do to fix this?

ok, first of all don't shorten Mario Galaxy like that if you want people to know what you are talking about lol, I really was like... "what's smg 1 and smg 2? sub machine gun?" for a good minute 🤣

but to your question. sadly Dolphin does on the fly shader compilation, this is an issue no matter where you play.

you have to go into the settings and set the shader settings to "Uber Shader" and "compile shaders before start" (or something liek that)
that enables more perfomant shader compilation due to being multithreaded

you will still have shader stutters here and there to, there's no perfect way around it with dolphin.

but the longer you play the less shaders will need to be compiled and the smoother the game will get.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
ok, first of all don't shorten Mario Galaxy like that if you want people to know what you are talking about lol, I really was like... "what's smg 1 and smg 2? sub machine gun?" for a good minute 🤣

but to your question. sadly Dolphin does on the fly shader compilation, this is an issue no matter where you play.

you have to go into the settings and set the shader settings to "Uber Shader"
that enables more perfomant shader compilation due to being multithreaded

you will still have shader stutters here and there to, there's no perfect way around it with dolphin.

but the longer you play the less shaders will need to be compiled and the smoother the game will get.
Thank you! Finally a reply, I've been asking this question all over the place.

I guess I'll put SMG 1 and SMG 2 on the backburner maybe and I'll maybe play Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 sometime.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member

It Is What It Is Dont Care GIF by AwesomenessTV

thanks for the update.

adamsapple

Retroarch still has a PCSX2 core, so it's not like there's no other way to use it.

The new build was in alpha as mentioned above ,so not exactly stable.

Banned
The standalone PCs X2 app runs much MUCH better than the RetroArch core in terms of graphics, performance and compatibility ,😍

yes, but the missing controller options is a big issue with that current version.

for example, you open the emulator menu by pressing LB and RB simultaneously, and you can't change that either.
that has to be the worst button combination to open the menu that I've ever seen lol.

and of course there's the issue with diagonal analog inputs that don't work correctly because you'd need to increase the stick sensitivity in order for them to work properly.

so while the standalone version runs way better, has way better compatibility and most importantly WAAAAAY less input lag...
it's still not really that great to use if you want working analog controls and if you don't want to accidentally open the emulator menu all the time.

Last edited:

Esppiral

yes, but the missing controller options is a big issue with that current version.

for example, you open the emulator menu by pressing LB and RB simultaneously, and you can't change that either.
that has to be the worst button combination to open the menu that I've ever seen lol.

and of course there's the issue with diagonal analog inputs that don't work correctly because you'd need to increase the stick sensitivity in order for them to work properly.

so while the standalone version runs way better, has way better compatibility and most importantly WAAAAAY less input lag...
it's still not really that great to use if you want working analog controls and if you don't want to accidentally open the emulator menu all the time.
You are right but I wanted to play 24h the game and ghost hunter and they do work like a charm on the standalone version while they crash in RetroArch, also burnout renders the sky correctly so I am happy as it is right now at least to play the aforementioned games.
It needs more work though

Last edited:

Banned
What are the chances we ever get some version of CEMU on the Series X consoles?

The emulator needs to be open source and support ba DirectX Backend, as of today none of those are available.

yeah, it all comes down to direct x support. if the emulator has DX11 or DX12 support there is a chance someone will eventually port it over to UWP

but if they only use OpenGL and Vulkan chances are very low.
unless Microsoft starts supporting Vulkan of course... but the chances for that are also pretty low. but not zero I'd say after their acquisition of iD Software, which always were big supporters of Vulkan

Last edited:
Reactions: WoJ

YCoCg

The PCSX2 team is being dramatic. They actually don't have to ask for permission.
They're not being dramatic, they just don't want unofficial builds which they've not signed off on to become the main versions being used on certain platforms. RetroArch and such have got in trouble in the past over stealing code and pushing it without approval and as much as you want to bitch and cry about them being "dramatic" remember that they're the ones doing the actual main work and pushing for these improvements and features. The main dev currently contributing to PCSX2 is the main dev from DuckStation, and just like he said with the DuckStation UWP port, he'll do it when he can get it up to a specific standard and has time to dedicate to UWP features to make sure the emulator is running the best it can.

Banned
They're not being dramatic, they just don't want unofficial builds which they've not signed off on to become the main versions being used on certain platforms. RetroArch and such have got in trouble in the past over stealing code and pushing it without approval and as much as you want to bitch and cry about them being "dramatic" remember that they're the ones doing the actual main work and pushing for these improvements and features. The main dev currently contributing to PCSX2 is the main dev from DuckStation, and just like he said with the DuckStation UWP port, he'll do it when he can get it up to a specific standard and has time to dedicate to UWP features to make sure the emulator is running the best it can.

this was not an unofficial build. it was an officially released build you can download from him and use on your Xbox.

all that gamr13 did was upload it to the Microsoft Store so that it is usable in retail mode

so it was a reupload of an official early UWP build

Last edited:

Esppiral

While these options are not availbable on the PCSX2's UWP menú, you can edit the .ini and enable patches and custom texture loading!
I've been able to use my custom textures for Parappa the Rapper 2. I also edited it so it reads the memory cards from the same external HDD I use for retroarch so I can switch between apps and still using my saves.

Custom textures on PC

vlcsnap-2022-03-07-23h29m07s478.png

Custom textures on Xbox
gs_20220529113357_PaRappa_the_Rapper_2_SCUS-97167.jpg

I've been also testing PCSX2 UWP on a base Xbox and.. holy shit with some tweakins some games are playable while with the retroarch core they run in single digits FPS!!!

Last edited:

Banned
While these options are not availbable on the PCSX2's UWP menú, you can edit the .ini and enable patches and custom texture loading!
I've been able to use my custom textures for Parappa the Rapper 2. I also edited it so it reads the memory cards from the same external HDD I use for retroarch so I cant switch between apps and still using my saves.

Custom textures on PC

Custom textures on Xbox

I've been also testing PCSX2 UWP on a base Xbox and.. holy shit with some tweakins some games are playable while with the retroarch core the in single digits FPS!!!

so if I edit settings on PC I can simply copy over the ini file and the settings work?

because that would fix the controller issues. external USB loading also sounds very helpful :)

Esppiral

so if I edit settings on PC I can simply copy over the ini file and the settings work?

because that would fix the controller issues. external USB loading also sounds very helpful :)
Maybe, I am going to try and see if I can change the hotkeys, they are listed in the .ini too.

[Hotkeys]
Screenshot = Keyboard/F8
ToggleFullscreen = Keyboard/Alt & Keyboard/Return
CycleAspectRatio = Keyboard/F6
CycleMipmapMode = Keyboard/Insert
CycleInterlaceMode = Keyboard/F5
ToggleSoftwareRendering = Keyboard/F9
ZoomIn = Keyboard/Control & Keyboard/Plus
ZoomOut = Keyboard/Control & Keyboard/Minus
LoadStateFromSlot = Keyboard/F3
SaveStateToSlot = Keyboard/F1
NextSaveStateSlot = Keyboard/F2
PreviousSaveStateSlot = Keyboard/Shift & Keyboard/F2
ToggleFrameLimit = Keyboard/F4
TogglePause = Keyboard/Space
ToggleSlowMotion = Keyboard/Shift & Keyboard/Backtab
ToggleTurbo = Keyboard/Tab
ShutdownVM = Keyboard/Escape
OpenPauseMenu = XInput-0/LeftShoulder & XInput-0/RightShoulder

EDIT: I can confirm, I changed the hotkey menu to R3 and L3

Last edited:

Banned
Maybe, I am going to try and see if I can change the hotkeys, they are listed in the .ini too.

[Hotkeys]
Screenshot = Keyboard/F8
ToggleFullscreen = Keyboard/Alt & Keyboard/Return
CycleAspectRatio = Keyboard/F6
CycleMipmapMode = Keyboard/Insert
CycleInterlaceMode = Keyboard/F5
ToggleSoftwareRendering = Keyboard/F9
ZoomIn = Keyboard/Control & Keyboard/Plus
ZoomOut = Keyboard/Control & Keyboard/Minus
LoadStateFromSlot = Keyboard/F3
SaveStateToSlot = Keyboard/F1
NextSaveStateSlot = Keyboard/F2
PreviousSaveStateSlot = Keyboard/Shift & Keyboard/F2
ToggleFrameLimit = Keyboard/F4
TogglePause = Keyboard/Space
ToggleSlowMotion = Keyboard/Shift & Keyboard/Backtab
ToggleTurbo = Keyboard/Tab
ShutdownVM = Keyboard/Escape
OpenPauseMenu = XInput-0/LeftShoulder & XInput-0/RightShoulder

OpenPauseMenu is the issue of course.
but also you'd need to be able to change stick sensitivity as well to fix the issues with diagonal inputs

adamsapple

I've been able to use my custom textures for Parappa the Rapper 2. I also edited it so it reads the memory cards from the same external HDD I use for retroarch so I can switch between apps and still using my saves.

Custom textures on PC

Custom textures on Xbox

I've been also testing PCSX2 UWP on a base Xbox and.. holy shit with some tweakins some games are playable while with the retroarch core they run in single digits FPS!!!

ooooh that is beautiful.

I'm eagerly awaiting some enterprising young folk to start creating custom textures for the PS2 RE games like the Outbreaks and Dead Aim. The ones that aren't available on other platforms.

Bojji

So everything should be set up correctly but when I try to load ANY core emulator just goes... off? And I'm back at SX main menu.

SpiceRacz

Shit ain't working for me. Only ISO I tried to run was Castlevania Lament of Innocence. Gonna try it again tonight with a different ISO and hope it works.

I followed this tutorial:

Last edited:

Esppiral

remember that any ISO bigger than roughly 2GB will not run from USB
That's no longer the case, you can boot games bigger than 2gb from USB external HDD, that's how a play games like Gran Turismo 4 or Ghost hunter and both are bigger than 2 gb

Banned
That's no longer the case, you can boot games bigger than 2gb from USB external HDD, that's how a play games like Gran Turismo 4 or Ghost hunter and both are bigger than 2 gb

don't you need to do that folder access rights trick to allow for that? I assumed the didn't do that

RhyDin

Now that series S is on sale super cheap, I'm interested in it simply for Retroarch. What is the newest core available for the series S RA? I'm assuming Playstation/N64, but do we have Saturn?

Banned
What is this trick?

well you basically have to add folder rights that allows the Xbox full access to folders on your USB drive. you have to do that to use Bios files and other stuff directly from the drive.

that way you can have all your Retroarch folders on your USB and just reuse all the files for a new install

Deft Beck

well you basically have to add folder rights that allows the Xbox full access to folders on your USB drive. you have to do that to use Bios files and other stuff directly from the drive.

that way you can have all your Retroarch folders on your USB and just reuse all the files for a new install
And how does one do that?

Top Bottom