• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro EMULATORS for Xbox Series X|S / One - Download Links, NO MODDING, NO DEV-MODE

Connxtion

Also, does it need to be an external HD or can it be a USB stick?
Can be either.

Only thing that can’t be run from USB is the cores but am going to test that later and make sure, as some folk also said info and a few other folders don’t work but I have everything bar cores on my USB pen.
(All working 100%)

Last edited:

Bojji

Xenosaga 1

I never played this game when I had PS2, runs and looks well enough on Series X (some framedrops here and there and bugged shadows):

3e34e50dacad4c1ca02c.png

82290435eed54dcbb7e0.png
a9543189cfc94aa8bbde.png

^ Shadow Hearts 2

Banned
PCSX2 is currently available again for Retail through this link (easiest to install by clicking on it using your Xbox's browser)
https://www.xbox.com/de-de/games/store/uwu-station-2/9pdcsfkhc4v6?rtc=1

a different uploader. who knows how long it will be up, so get it fast if you want it.
but beware that it's unfinished and some settings, including controller settings, aren't there yet (although you can apparently edit them on your PC through the settings files of the emulator)

Last edited:

Banned
a more completed version of PCSX2 was just released it seems

this version has a more finished UI and most (if not all) features.

so far it's only available as a Developer mode download tho.
lets hope a retail upload will happen soon, because with this the emulator will finally be actually usable.

especially important for some games the instantly available option to switch to Software rendering.
games like Disaster Report for example have UI issues in hardware, but is running perfectly in software.
in software you can't have enhancements of course, so always having software rendering on is suboptimal.

it's weird that the Ather team did this tho, as I think they only really work on mobile versions kf PCSX2 (ARM processor versions to be exact)

Last edited:

fatmarco

Does anyone have the best graphics settings for Jak and Daxter on Retroarch? The first level is bareable but after the framerate is too hard to bare.

Hope we get another shot at retail PCSX2 again.

Banned
Does anyone have the best graphics settings for Jak and Daxter on Retroarch? The first level is bareable but after the framerate is too hard to bare.

does this link not work anymore? this is the less finished version tho, with missing options...

PCSX2 is currently available again for Retail through this link (easiest to install by clicking on it using your Xbox's browser)
https://www.xbox.com/de-de/games/store/uwu-station-2/9pdcsfkhc4v6?rtc=1

a different uploader. who knows how long it will be up, so get it fast if you want it.
but beware that it's unfinished and some settings, including controller settings, aren't there yet (although you can apparently edit them on your PC through the settings files of the emulator)

I haven't tried the link in a bit but maybe give it a go

Banned
Mod of War Mod of War or any other mods, can someone change the thread title to:
"Retro EMULATORS for Xbox Series X|S / One - Download Links, NO MODDING, NO DEV-MODE"
:pie_kfwce: that would be lovely

since more and more standalone emulators are released I think it's appropriate to widen the thread to those as well. especially once PCSX2 standalone releases in a more finished state

edit: thx mods ❤️

Last edited:

Banned
the fan remake of Sonic 2 on Master System is now also available it seems

Son2SMS.png

click that download link on your Xbox browser and scroll all the way down to download it

Last edited:

BlackTron

a port of the fan remake of Sonic 1 Master System is now available
Son1SMS.gif

if you wanna get it click the download button below on your Xbox Browser and scroll all the way down

Wow! I love this game and didn't know about this remake at all. Great consolation prize as I was expecting to be playing Sonic 3 in widescreen right now (but I'm not). So wait, when I get home I can just click that link in my totally plain legit Series X I've never done ANYTHING funny with and it'll just install and work? If so, WOW that's awesome and somehow messed up lol.

Banned
Wow! I love this game and didn't know about this remake at all. Great consolation prize as I was expecting to be playing Sonic 3 in widescreen right now (but I'm not). So wait, when I get home I can just click that link in my totally plain legit Series X I've never done ANYTHING funny with and it'll just install and work? If so, WOW that's awesome and somehow messed up lol.

yes, on your Xbox's edge browser just go on the site linked, scroll down to find the game and click the green download button there. that will send you to the store page and you can install it.

they also had AM2R (Another Metroid 2 Remake) for a while but it seems it's not there anymore... I still have it installed thankfully lol

Last edited:

BlackTron

yes, on your Xbox's edge browser just go on the site linked, scroll down to find the game and click the green download button there. that will send you to the store page and you can install it.

they also had AM2R (Another Metroid 2 Remake) for a while but it seems it's not there anymore... I still have it installed thankfully lol

It's really cool that it's this easy to install such games on a non-modded system. As long as there's a native PC version to fall back on though, it doesn't really matter what happens. Pretty convenient though that you got to Xbox AMR2 before Nintendo's ninja assassin's did.

The very nanosecond I run into any fuss with any of this I'd go with PC, but I'm gonna put as many of these Sonic games as I can on my Xbox later today lol.

Edit: This is the kind of shit that makes me want a modded Switch more. I mean why have a port of an old Game Gear game on Xbox when you could have it on a system that literally transforms into a Game Gear?? I just haven't had the gumption to make the plunge yet and my Switch has tons of legit games on it. Basically I'd have to buy a whole new system first...but I'm derailing a thread about Xbox now lol.

Last edited:

Banned
I would like to use the PSP emulator

the PSP emulator is the most straight forward as it doesn't need BIOS files and is super easy to set up...
just go to the download page on your Xbox One or Series X and download PPSSPP and Durango FTP

Durango FTP is there to easily transfer your games onto the internal storage of the Xbox by using an FTP client on your PC or Android Phone
you can also load ISO files from a USB stick or USB HDD/SSD, but that might not work as perfectly as from internal.
I actually was able to load some games directly from my PSPgo. sadly I think you can't redirect the folder where your savegames are located so savegames can not be loaded or saved directly on the PSP.
on PC I actually set PPSSPP up to do that and act like a dock for my PSPgo

Last edited:

Banned
Don’t think that will happen. Xbox doesn’t support OpenGL or vulkan and I think Xenia (360 emulator) requires one of them. I know xemu (og Xbox emulator) does.

open GL can run on Xbox by using ANGLE as a translation layer. many Retroarch cores actually do this, which is also one reason why they don't work that well on Xbox One, since that translation layer is not very efficient.

on Series X|S the cores that use Open GL can bruteforce through that for the most part. actually at least last time I tried, using Open GL in the standalone Flycast emulator on Series X ran way more stable than actually suing the Direct X renderer, even tho Open GL has to go through the translation layer

Last edited:

Calverz

open GL can run on Xbox by using ANGLE as a translation layer. many Retroarch cores actually do this, which is also one reason why they don't work that well on Xbox One, since that translation layer is not very efficient.

on Series X|S the cores that use Open GL can bruteforce through that for the most part. actually at least last time I tried, using Open GL in the standalone Flycast emulator on Series X ran way more stable than actually suing the Direct X renderer, even tho Open GL has to go through the translation layer
In that case can we get xemu or yuzu on it?

Banned
In that case can we get xemu or yuzu on it?

I mean that might be a bit too much. I don't think that translation layer supports modern open GL versions and or shaders.

I briefly read about this a year ago or so and I think it only works with stuff that uses pretty old Open GL versions/feature sets.

modern emulators to work on Xbox someone would need to write a DX11 or DX12 renderer for them.

the fact that XEMU doesn't have Direct X support is kinda hilarious tho lol.
it uses Open GL 4.0 tho, not sure if that is compatible... it might just be old enough to work, but I don't know.

an OG Xbox emulator would be the ultimate dream of course. also if emulators started supporting Discs, that combination would be crazy

WoJ

Does this mean there's a chance OG Xbox, 360, and PS3 emulators could eventually run on the Series consoles or no? I can set these things up but don't understand the tech behind them.

Banned
Does this mean there's a chance OG Xbox, 360, and PS3 emulators could eventually run on the Series consoles or no? I can set these things up but don't understand the tech behind them.

Xbox and 360 yes, PS3 most likely no.

RCPS3 (PS3 emu) only supports Vulkan and Open GL. in order for it to be ported to Series X|S someone would need to write a DirectX 12 renderer for it and noone is currently interested in doing that as their main focus is to inprove performance on PC.

how likely it is for an Xbox Emulator to be ported over is hard to say. they could work but I bet it wouldn't be easy to make them run well

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I will be incredibly impressed if Xenia is able to be ported in a stable state to the current gen consoles.

BlackTron

I installed Flycast too but get an error every time I try to launch it. "Try a different game or app. Try again in a few minutes. If it's still not working, check the service status below. (0x87e10bc6)"

I'm guessing I need some permission I don't have like dev mode and I glossed over something, maybe even in this very thread?

But I'm really liking the ports of Sonic 1 and 2 SMS. I've only ever played the Game Gear version of these games, so I don't know how many of the changes in level design came from the fan port, but its different enough to keep me on my toes in a game I thought I knew EXACTLY where every jump and secret was. I know the portable version was low res compared to SMS to begin with but this super high res makes it a totally different game, especially in 2 where you could hardly see in front of you with that mine cart stuff lol. Especially with the addition of spin dash, drop dash and peel out, you need to be able to see where you're going to use them.

Banned
I installed Flycast too but get an error every time I try to launch it. "Try a different game or app. Try again in a few minutes. If it's still not working, check the service status below. (0x87e10bc6)"

I'm guessing I need some permission I don't have like dev mode and I glossed over something, maybe even in this very thread?

you might wanna reboot the console, or redownload the emulator. it should work.
you don't need any permission to use any of these. they are basically handled like any other game on the system.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
Hey 01011001 01011001 , are there any retail versions of retroarch available that you know of. I had to factory reset my series x and now the app won't launch. Looks like it can't activate as the app is no longer available. Anyways, if you could lend a hand I appreciate it.

Banned
Hey 01011001 01011001 , are there any retail versions of retroarch available that you know of. I had to factory reset my series x and now the app won't launch. Looks like it can't activate as the app is no longer available. Anyways, if you could lend a hand I appreciate it.

go to the first post in this thread. click on download on your Xbox browser.

there you will find Retroarch, Flycast, Duckstation and PPSSPP

they all should work without issue. I try to keep the first post as up to date as possible.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Gold Member

they all should work without issue. I try to keep the first post as up to date as possible.
I did not realize that. Cheers

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member

Quick question. Can you just run stuff off USB?

Banned
Is there a PS2 emu that runs in retail mode and has save states working?

not yet sadly. there has been drama about it with some of the devs being pissed at the guy who uploads them to the store.

there's a second team currently working on an Xbox version of PCSX2 called Aether2SX, we might soon get a retail version of that fork

Last edited:

Banned

Is there a PS2 emu that runs in retail mode and has save states working?

640px-Playstation2-Logo.svg.png

I found some "rogue" uploads of Aether2SX (a fork of PCSX2)

Set your Xbox region to Brazil and click on this link on your XBox's browser
(if it's not clickable then copy/paste it using the start/menu button)
👇 👇 👇 👇
ms-windows-store://pdp/?productid=9NN0N9D0JM8F

again this version is only available in Brazil, so setting your Xbox to brazil is important, you can change it back of course after you downloaded it

don't let the icon and name of the app confuse you. I think they want to be very undercover (although I don't really think this helps much)
this version seems to be feature complete tho and should have save states

edit: SAVESTATES WORK! just tested it.

this version also has the sticks preconfigured so no weird diagonal inputs. and you can change the menu shortcut

I will try to keep the first post in this thead up to date with these rogue PCSX2/Aether2SX uploads

Last edited:

Teslerum

640px-Playstation2-Logo.svg.png

I found some "rogue" uploads of Aether2SX (a fork of PCSX2)

Set your Xbox region to Brazil and click on this link on your XBox's browser
(if it's not clickable then copy/paste it using the start/menu button)
👇 👇 👇 👇

again this version is only available in Brazil, so setting your Xbox to brazil is important, you can change it back of course after you downloaded it

don't let the icon and name of the app confuse you. I think they want to be very undercover (although I don't really think this helps much)
this version seems to be feature complete tho and should have save states

edit: SAVESTATES WORK! just tested it.

this version also has the sticks preconfigured so no weird diagonal inputs. and you can change the menu shortcut

I will try to keep the first post in this thead up to date with these rogue PCSX2/Aether2SX uploads
Technically its not AetherSX2 as it uses the original PCSX2 codebase, its just branding in this case.

Yeah, that whole thing is weird.

Last edited:

Banned
Technically its not Aether as it uses the original PCSX2 codebase, its just branding in this case.

Yeah, that whole thing is weird.

it's the Aether team working on it. they will develop the Xbox version from now on apparently. that's why the branding is used.

no matter how it's called tho, finally a feature complete PS2 emulator for retail mode!

it's almost on par with the PC version of PCSX2 it seems from my tests so far and that's fucking awesome.

Last edited:

Teslerum

it's the Aether team working on it. they will develop the Xbox version from now on apparently. that's why the branding is used.

no matter how it's called tho, finally a feature complete PS2 emulator for retail mode!

it's almost on par with the PC version of PCSX2 it seems from my tests so far and that's fucking awesome.
It's Stenzek working on it (who's on both teams), and as I said it uses the PCSX2 PC code, so not surprising.

As per

It's just a branding. This particular release is stock PCSX2 + UWP parts and related fixes.

I would agree that it's perhaps confusing a little.

But, yeah. Regardless of confusing branding, it's great that it exists.

Last edited:

Banned
It's Stenzek working on it (who's on both teams), and as I said it uses the PCSX2 PC code, so not surprising.

But, yeah. Regardless of confusing branding, it's great that it exists.

yeah that's weird lol... maybe they should use a new name completely for it or just stick with PCSX2.

maybe call is PS2X or something 😅 or PCSX2X

Last edited:

BlackTron

you might wanna reboot the console, or redownload the emulator. it should work.
you don't need any permission to use any of these. they are basically handled like any other game on the system.

Deleted and reinstalled it and it's working fine. Playing Marvel vs Capcom 2 now, thanks!

RAIDEN1

Is there like a simple how-to-guide in terms of how to get up to speed on all this and make your series X an emulation beast, so you can comfortably play games like Ridge and Rage racer/F-Zero et all..?

Banned
Is there like a simple how-to-guide in terms of how to get up to speed on all this and make your series X an emulation beast, so you can comfortably play games like Ridge and Rage racer/F-Zero et all..?

look in the first post of this thread. there are videos on how to get started.
there is a guy on youtube that makes really good tutorials for individual console settings for more in depth stuff once you have the basic install and setup done

if you want to emulate PS2 you should quickly download the current PCSX2/Aether2SX build I posted about a few post above this one as these get often deleted and the devs actively are against uploading them, which means the more reliable sources do not upload them.
I also put all the info about this in the first post on this thread

ps2oujhr.png

ABOUT PLAYSTATION 2 EMULATION

The Developers of PCSX2 and the Aether2SX fork are for whatever reason really against people uploading them to the Xbox Store.

Some people still do it and I will try to have new links up to date for these "stealth" uploads of them
I will try to keep up to date with working methods to get these PS2 emulators.
If a link isn't working anymore plz @ me and I will try to update

CURRENTLY WORKING METHOD:
Set your Xbox region to Brazil and copy/paste the following into your Adress bar on the Xbox's web browser
👇

These stealth uploads might have strange names and/or icons.
this is a tactic to mislead Microsoft and keep them from deleting the apps.
this doesn't really work tho so it's kinda weird that people still try.​

Last edited:

BlackTron

Flycast gave me an error that the Sonic Adventure GDI was too big.

Some of you may know that Dreamcast GDI files were often shaved down to .CDI files that would fit on a 700MB-ish CD. But this was mostly necessary for burning a CD to play in a real Dreamcast. Loading a file into an emulator, I'm not sure why this problem exists. Like it's only allocated enough virtual drive space for a CDI or some strange reason like that?

I'm about to try a CDI version (all CDI files I've tried have worked, of other games) but it's a little silly to be using lower def sound and video assets on Series X for a Dreamcast game lol. Hopefully this gets fixed or I find that elusive menu setting that will solve everything.

Banned
Flycast gave me an error that the Sonic Adventure GDI was too big.

Some of you may know that Dreamcast GDI files were often shaved down to .CDI files that would fit on a 700MB-ish CD. But this was mostly necessary for burning a CD to play in a real Dreamcast. Loading a file into an emulator, I'm not sure why this problem exists. Like it's only allocated enough virtual drive space for a CDI or some strange reason like that?

I'm about to try a CDI version (all CDI files I've tried have worked, of other games) but it's a little silly to be using lower def sound and video assets on Series X for a Dreamcast game lol. Hopefully this gets fixed or I find that elusive menu setting that will solve everything.

that is indeed weird.
I haven't used Flycast much, I might do some investigating on this later. 🧐

BlackTron

that is indeed weird.
I haven't used Flycast much, I might do some investigating on this later. 🧐

The CDI version is good enough that I wouldn't want to spend hours on it, but yeah I hope this gets sorted. I picked DC because it's a great "it just works" fit for Xbox as they have the same button layout. All the defaults match up nicely. As soon as it becomes a project, I may as well use my PC instead of a game console :)

Top Bottom