• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

Laws00

Is there an audio gaf or something around here? Just got me thinking when I took these pictures.

Mind you these things are god knows how old. My dad was in the Navy and got most of this stuff when he was in the service and some of this stuff is I don't know what yearage date.

There is stuff in a corner in one of the rooms and this is all the stuff that I could see upfront.

IMG_0463.jpg

IMG_0464.jpg

IMG_0465.jpg

IMG_0466.jpg

IMG_0467.jpg

IMG_0468.jpg

IMG_0469.jpg

IMG_0474.jpg

IMG_0475.jpg

i love your speakers

Thanks! The towers are a set of klipsch with single tweeter,dual 8" woofers and a passive 12" woofer in the back. They have incredible low and high end but no mids. The smaller speakers are a set of technics with incredible mids, decent highs and no lows. Combined together, running through my marantz 2226, they are the best set I've ever heard in person.

I think socksfelloff may be able to help you out? Reach out, he's a friendly dude.

There's another person I see advertising their services around the GTA that works on consoles. I haven't had this person work on any of my stuff, but I've seen them post on some Canadian gaming forums and is local to the GTA. I'll inbox you their info. Also maybe reach out to them?

Thanks for the shout out! I could recap a Genesis but I'm honestly just too busy these days. Unfortunately I don't know anyone in GTA that mods since I do my own. If you happen to find someone and you have a good experience please share !

televator

Is there an audio gaf or something around here? Just got me thinking when I took these pictures.

Mind you these things are god knows how old. My dad was in the Navy and got most of this stuff when he was in the service and some of this stuff is I don't know what yearage date.

There is stuff in a corner in one of the rooms and this is all the stuff that I could see upfront.

Yeah, last month I posted my Sony D-33 Discman in RetroAV and it got a lot of positive response. Personally though I haven't had the time yet to really delve into retro home audio equipment as much as I'd like. I get a small fix by watching Techmoan on youtube.

From those pics however, I'd like to hear what those Pioneer decks can do and I'd like to play around with the vynil equipment. Maybe it's something special or maybe not. Is your dad in audiophile? You could ask him?

Galdelico

Random pickups from the last few weeks... Yeah, horrible phonetastic pics + having fun with Imgur silly filters. :D

PS2 - Shin Gouketsuji Ichizoku J, Oretachi Gēsen Zoku: Sonic Wings J, Super Galdelic Hour J, Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance U, Dark Cloud U, War of the Monsters U
Dreamcast - US Shenmue J, F355 Challenge J, Shutokou Battle J, 4 Wheel Thunder U, Hydro Thunder U
NDS - Contra 4 U

IrishNinja

laws i love your stuff but ima come over & dust for u

my desire is boring?

that's the first time i've made that point on this forum

that type of set-up is actually the dominant one

i commented on a type of set-up, not anyone's in particular

saying those of us keeping our systems set up/options open are boring OCD was a great comment, sure
i think it's entirely possible to do that & still keep things relatively neat, without looking like that same boring pic everyone on facebook posts of 3 dozen lit up systems clearly not plugged into anything

If you ever come to Chicago let me know.

I loved things like that grid so much as a kid.

actually hoping to visit an old college roommate out that way next st paddy's day or so, ill let you know!
and yeah i loved em too but didn't you have to pay to enter those things? i recall them being a scam later on

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I didn't know there were Chicago area retrogaf people. I was just there last week. I go back pretty frequently, largely because it's home, and because I hate living in Seattle.

dubc35

I got my Wii last night, woo! I only had time to set it up and play a short amount of Zelda TTP. I'm looking forward to playing some more. (Also love the one I got came with a white wiimote and red nunchuck lol).

I didn't know there were Chicago area retrogaf people. I was just there last week. I go back pretty frequently, largely because it's home, and because I hate living in Seattle.
Seattle isn't that bad. I grew up in IL and spent some time in Chicago. I'd take PNW over Chicago any day.

Random pickups from the last few weeks... Yeah, horrible phonetastic pics + having fun with Imgur silly filters. :D

PS2 - Shin Gouketsuji Ichizoku J, Oretachi Gēsen Zoku: Sonic Wings J, Super Galdelic Hour J, Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance U, Dark Cloud U, War of the Monsters U
Dreamcast - US Shenmue J, F355 Challenge J, Shutokou Battle J, 4 Wheel Thunder U, Hydro Thunder U
NDS - Contra 4 U
Nice pick ups, I tried beating dark cloud long ago and gave up. Been wanting to try it again.

BTails

Random pickups from the last few weeks...
NDS - Contra 4 U

Contra 4 is super underrated, I love this game. Wayforward really shines when they go straight retro: Thor and Aliens Infestation are also really good sidescrollers from them on the DS.

NOTE: Like a lot of old games, you can't actually finish Contra 4 on lesser difficulties, it cuts you off a few stages in. So "Git Gud"!

NDS - Contra 4 U

Shutoku Battle series was so fun. I think part 2 was my favorite back in the day. The NSXes were like unkillable and it was my favorite cars ever so I loved it. The PS2 remix (Released in the west as Tokyo Xtreme Racer Zero) made Skylines hot shit and the NSXes were obsolete :(

I grew up in Seattle and moved to Chicago a year ago (with an interim in Pennsylvania for grad school).

I'm a PNWer but the Seattle/Cap Hill I loved is long gone now so I'm happy in Chicago. The retro store around here is okay but it looks like there's pretty good stuff in Wisconsin. I get most of my stuff online or in Japan though.

Galdelico

Nice pick ups, I tried beating dark cloud long ago and gave up. Been wanting to try it again.
Thanks Dave. ;)
I picked the series up from DC2, which I fairly enjoyed. Honestly, I didn't have the first one in my wishlist, but when I saw it popping out from nowhere - here in Italy - I didn't think about it twice.

Contra 4 is super underrated, I love this game. Wayforward really shines when they go straight retro: Thor and Aliens Infestation are also really good sidescrollers from them on the DS.

NOTE: Like a lot of old games, you can't actually finish Contra 4 on lesser difficulties, it cuts you off a few stages in. So "Git Gud"!
Haha, yeah, I've heard that too. And I'm looking forward to try it. It sat on my list since ages, mainly because I wanted the American version and it's so rare to even see around here. Luckily, every millions sexy items you loose on eBay, you happen to find a couple ones you'd never have expected to.

Shutoku Battle series was so fun. I think part 2 was my favorite back in the day. The NSXes were like unkillable and it was my favorite cars ever so I loved it. The PS2 remix (Released in the west as Tokyo Xtreme Racer Zero) made Skylines hot shit and the NSXes were obsolete :(
Don't ask me why, but I love SB0 on the PS2. 2 on the Dreamcast is also pretty awesome, but I bought the Japanese version day one, and then I read it was pretty glitchy/had some major bugs, which made me kinda wary to even play it properly. :/

Laws00

Yeah, last month I posted my Sony D-33 Discman in RetroAV and it got a lot of positive response. Personally though I haven't had the time yet to really delve into retro home audio equipment as much as I'd like. I get a small fix by watching Techmoan on youtube.

From those pics however, I'd like to hear what those Pioneer decks can do and I'd like to play around with the vynil equipment. Maybe it's something special or maybe not. Is your dad in audiophile? You could ask him?

I'll ask him when he gets home tonight

laws i love your stuff but ima come over & dust for u

You sound like my dad lol

And funny enough this is all his stuff too that he should be dusting too.

Kawika

So My Life in Gaming had their Saturn video today and it got me thinking. I have no actually nostalgia for Saturn yet, like the PC Engine, I kind of feel that everyone really loves it. I had a Genesis and a Dreamcast but the PS1 really stole me away from Sega and Nintendo for that whole generation.

Dreamcast is the last of the consoles I owned that I need to rebuy but my friend who owns a local retro shop has two Saturns at his shop and I am really tempted. So Gaf, let me know. How bad is the collecting scene on Saturn? Should I just pass go and get my Dreamcast?

Danny Dudekisser

damn...is it portland i'm thinking of then?
i've never been north of humboldt county

Portland is the hipster mecca of the world. Seattle is basically all the negative stereotypes about San Francisco tech people, in a smaller, less desirable location.

Choose your poison.

IrishNinja

So My Life in Gaming had their Saturn video today and it got me thinking. I have no actually nostalgia for Saturn yet, like the PC Engine, I kind of feel that everyone really loves it. I had a Genesis and a Dreamcast but the PS1 really stole me away from Sega and Nintendo for that whole generation.

Dreamcast is the last of the consoles I owned that I need to rebuy but my friend who owns a local retro shop has two Saturns at his shop and I am really tempted. So Gaf, let me know. How bad is the collecting scene on Saturn? Should I just pass go and get my Dreamcast?

saturn's scene is stupid expensive these days. US stuff is through the roof and even parts of the JP stuff have shot up - most of the fighters you'd want aren't too bad, but so much greatness around that (particularly SHMUPs) are at nearly all-time highs.

it's super easy these days to play imports, which is an absolute must. i can't recommend modding your system for backups enough personally, but that's a controversial opinion.

Portland is the hipster mecca of the world. Seattle is basically all the negative stereotypes about San Francisco tech people, in a smaller, less desirable location.

Choose your poison.

damn, i dug san fran in the early aughts, haven't been out that way since the tech scene took over but that don't sound great.

portland has retro gaming cons & such, and as someone who lived on miami beach, i can deal with hipsters. fuck, i shop for records in 2017.

I'd say it's a system you'd already have to love if you want to collect for it, since the price of entry is comparatively high to other systems.

The Saturn is an amazing system for certain genres, and if you're into those genres it's kind of a system you have to have. I'm glad I did my Saturn buying when I did, some games weren't cheap but no wheres near what they are today. I am constantly amazed at how expensive the games have gotten for it.

I still say the gamecube is going to be there one day. Any of these systems that the masses ignore when they're out that end up with good solid games are going to be mad expensive 20 - 25 years down the line.

Stuff that isn't even rare but just never gets re-sold. It's like Rondo of Blood on the PCE, it's not a rare title, its just that everyone wants it and no one sells it once they have it.

Saturn is stupid expensive to buy anything for these days. Even downloading Saturn games isn't that easy either, theres a lot of shit rips out there on the interwebs.

It's worth noting that a lot of Saturns best games are arcade ports and are honestly better off being played on mame these days.

Best controller of all time though!

Danny Dudekisser

Saturn is stupid expensive to buy anything for these days. Even downloading Saturn games isn't that easy either, theres a lot of shit rips out there on the interwebs.

It's worth noting that a lot of Saturns best games are arcade ports and are honestly better off being played on mame these days.

Best controller of all time though!

Definitely depends on the game, though. Stuff like Elevator Action Returns, for example, is actually better on the Saturn than in arcades, because of the much better audio quality.

KC-Slater

Saturn has better (import) third-party support, but the Dreamcast has better Sega developed/published games, IMO. Both were heavily supported by Capcom. If you're talking about getting the most bang-for-your-buck, at this point go with a Dreamcast.

BTails

Yeah, I gave up buying Saturn games a long time ago. And I accidentally may have gotten a rip of Shining the Holy Ark which accidentally made it's way onto a disc, which doesn't work. So I feel it.

Yeah, I gave up buying Saturn games a long time ago. And I accidentally may have gotten a rip of Shining the Holy Ark which accidentally made it's way onto a disc, which doesn't work. So I feel it.

I hear ya. I got a Rhea thinking all my Saturn issues were solved. Instead I found out the world of Saturn rips is a wasteland!

Laws00

The only thing I got from this was my dad used to rip vinyl records to cassettes, and some CDs to cassettes for some reason.

Around the early 2000s when mp3s, wave files and etc got popular he made the switch to digital and phased most of the stuff that you see in those pictures.

He's converted a lot of music and has a lot of it into external hard drives. He has terabytes of music.

Peltz

I only have two games for Saturn: Panzer Dragoon and NiGHTS Into Dreams.

I had a decent sized list of games I wanted for it, but I think I need to let these ones go at this point due to price:

Panzer Dragoon Zweii
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Guardian Heroes
Virtual On (with the controller)
Radient Silvergun
House of the Dead

I'll still likely grab a few others that are still cheap though.

I hear ya. I got a Rhea thinking all my Saturn issues were solved. Instead I found out the world of Saturn rips is a wasteland!

It isn't a wasteland IMHO. I still think it's better to rip your own stuff. Well at least I like to do that.

Edit: Also, I'm jealous of that Rhea. I'm still struggling to get my Saturn with a disc-less mod like that :(

BTails

Finally studied these pictures in detail, and was so happy I did! The Technics SL-B35 was my mom's old turntable, and the one I used when growing up! Listened to a lot of great records on that table back in the day.

And the Pioneer-M400 CD player is the same one I used today! I got it from a friend for a 12-pack of beer (he found it in a corner of his basement). Great machine with excellent sound quality.

Rhea plus rmenu is life changing. I've had too many Saturns with laser failure. Now I can trust that I will be able to play it clear until I'm in a home with dimensia.

All my discs were ripped myself though. I imagine that more nefarious sources is less than ideal due to the reliance on CDI format.

It isn't a wasteland IMHO. I still think it's better to rip your own stuff. Well at least I like to do that.

Edit: Also, I'm jealous of that Rhea. I'm still struggling to get my Saturn with a disc-less mod like that :(

I make my own rips whenever possible. The point was that Saturn games are getting so expensive but its hard to play them for free.

Everyone should be able to play a classic like Panzer Dragoon Saga but not everyone can afford to spend that kind of money on a disc that's going to rot anyway.

Rhea in particular is incredible fussy with its support which is where my experience comes from.

Laws00

Finally studied these pictures in detail, and was so happy I did! The Technics SL-B35 was my mom's old turntable, and the one I used when growing up! Listened to a lot of great records on that table back in the day.

And the Pioneer-M400 CD player is the same one I used today! I got it from a friend for a 12-pack of beer (he found it in a corner of his basement). Great machine with excellent sound quality.

That's good to know. My dad is/was really into his music and sound.

I don't think he can articulate well the intricate details of what he is hearing but he understands what he's listening to in the sounds being played lol

Kawika

I'd say it's a system you'd already have to love if you want to collect for it, since the price of entry is comparatively high to other systems.

This is what has kept me from getting the PC Engine despite loving the Castlevania Series I can't justify it for just Rondo Of Blood.

saturn's scene is stupid expensive these days. US stuff is through the roof and even parts of the JP stuff have shot up - most of the fighters you'd want aren't too bad, but so much greatness around that (particularly SHMUPs) are at nearly all-time highs.

it's super easy these days to play imports, which is an absolute must. i can't recommend modding your system for backups enough personally, but that's a controversial opinion.

I have zero issues playing back ups. I collect games and have rom carts. There is no way I am going to shell out $100+ for a game that the publisher doesn't see any revenue from. As a rule, the only disc games I own are games that I bought at the time of the console's release. I want all disc based game consoles to have the ability to run off flash memory.

Is PSI/O ready for mainstream yet?

Saturn has better (import) third-party support, but the Dreamcast has better Sega developed/published games, IMO. Both were heavily supported by Capcom. If you're talking about getting the most bang-for-your-buck, at this point go with a Dreamcast.

Yeah, I think I will go with the Dreamcast. Seeing that the hardware is relatively cheap. I think I will probably buy a couple (1 for discs and 1 for modding to use flash memory).

Thanks for all your feedback. Yeah the Saturn and the PC Engine are just going to be things I will have to enjoy at friend's houses.

Which leaves only 1 console, the Neo Geo. I heard about Omega but does anyone else make a cheap consolized MVS to RGB kit? I have a ton of Nostalgia for this system as I was addicted 2D arcade fighters in the 90s. Also, I love Metal Slug and I had a rich friend that had an AVS that I would always play when I came over.

I love Saturn and have a massive collection of games and backups. You can mod an Action Replay or buy a Backup Unlocker and play repros and backups easily, idk how some of you are having problems. My Saturn is by far the least picky with the CDRs I use compared to PSOne and TurboDuo.

I do agree that the prices of some games are stupid expensive, though.

KC-Slater

Which leaves only 1 console, the Neo Geo. I heard about Omega but does anyone else make a cheap consolized MVS to RGB kit? I have a ton of Nostalgia for this system as I was addicted 2D arcade fighters in the 90s. Also, I love Metal Slug and I had a rich friend that had an AVS that I would always play when I came over.

Look in to picking up an MV1C MVS and a simple supergun like this for a good start. From there, you can stick with Neo Geo MVS stuff, or start experimenting with other JAMMA boards or a CPS1/2 or something.

Danny Dudekisser

Look in to picking up an MV1C MVS and a simple supergun like this for a good start. From there, you can stick with Neo Geo MVS stuff, or start experimenting with other JAMMA boards or a CPS1/2 or something.

Yeah, this is probably the most practical approach, though I'd definitely want an MVS board with Unibios, so you can switch regions for games that were censored in English.

KC-Slater

Yeah, this is probably the most practical approach, though I'd definitely want an MVS board with Unibios, so you can switch regions for games that were censored in English.

Agreed. I bought my M1VC off a GAF user pre-modded, but I think that particular revision can be a bit more complex to add a UNIBIOS to. The M1VC is real cheap and easy to find however. (And compact!)

Timu

I only have two games for Saturn: Panzer Dragoon and NiGHTS Into Dreams.

I had a decent sized list of games I wanted for it, but I think I need to let these ones go at this point due to price:

Panzer Dragoon Zweii
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Guardian Heroes
Virtual On (with the controller)
Radient Silvergun
House of the Dead

I'll still likely grab a few others that are still cheap though.
Good luck with those.

i was watching my life in gaming.... so no difference between model 1 and 2 saturns?

pretty much look identical =)

there are some extremely rare software incompatibilities, but otherwise you're good to go.

(for specifics, the original printing of the JP standalone Outrun and Space Harrier ports won't work on model 2s. YMMV tho, mine work fine on my Model 2 Saturn, so I didn't even know about this issue until later. mine must be a subsequent print run.)

Top Bottom