• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

So in the last 24 hours, we've had people shitting on Aladdin, Earthworm Jim and Vectorman?!? Come on...

Talk like that is strictly forbidden in retroGAF! It's blasphemy and slander!

200w.gif

So I'm rewatching Batman the Animated Series and it got motivated to try the Genesis game again (I've had a copy for a few years now).

Is it just me, or is this game TOUGH? I mean, I'm not an amazing player by any means, but I get the impression that even if I played daily for several years I would at best get through the second level. I like the visuals and music but it kind of bums me out I'll never play through the whole thing.

Is the SNES version completely different? Looks like it goes for quite a bit more than the Genesis version.

So I'm rewatching Batman the Animated Series and it got motivated to try the Genesis game again (I've had a copy for a few years now).

Is it just me, or is this game TOUGH? I mean, I'm not an amazing player by any means, but I get the impression that even if I played daily for several years I would at best get through the second level. I like the visuals and music but it kind of bums me out I'll never play through the whole thing.

Is the SNES version completely different? Looks like it goes for quite a bit more than the Genesis version.

Yeah, its bastard hard. And the levels are loooooooooooooooooooong. Amazing looking and sounding game though. I need to motivate myself to replay it at some point.

As for the Snes version, oh boy if you love the animated series then your in for a treat, this one held my "favourite Batman game" slot until the Arkham series popped up.

Its a completely different game, and unlike the MD one that is 4 really long levels the game is split up into smaller episode like levels (each with their own title card if I remember correctly). Each ep is loosely designed around an episode of the series - so you are first chasing after The Joker which ends with an awesome battle on a rollercoaster, another level has you fighting your way through plant creatures to face Poison Ivy, A party is stricken with a deadly fear toxin when Scarecrow invades, leaping over rooftops to chase Catwoman, and my favourite level - being stuck in VR facing off against The Riddler (a very clever meshing of his first two appearances in the series).
To top this off the game has awesome sound, animation and graphics that fit the series perfectly.
Oh, and you can pick which gadgets you take with you - so grab your gasmask ready for Scarecrow and your C4 and X-Ray Specs when tackling the Maze of the Minotaur!

Bottom line, if you can afford to get this game then I recommend going for it. Its one of the best comic based games I've played (pretty much the polar opposite to my opinion on the Snes Wolverine game!). Just beware of the difficulty spike at the end of the game - "Gauntlet" has you re-fighting your rogues gallery including a couple of brand new boss fights.

was vectorman considered a well known game? i never played it. that and kid chameleon. probably dont't know it bc i got out of the genesis scene too early due to a very stupid decision.

was vectorman considered a well known game? i never played it. that and kid chameleon. probably dont't know it bc i got out of the genesis scene too early due to a very stupid decision.

It released kind of late into the Genesis' life (post-Saturn launch) and never even came out in Japan. I don't think it had a big following.

televator

Yeah it was in the US. It is fun to play though. Lots of secrets to find and varied gameplay.

The sequel is straight up garbage, I agree.

Peltz

I like Vectorman but no longer love it. It was so mindblowingly impressive at the time but the actual level design is just a bit better than serviceable. It's a fun game, but certainly not among 16 bit royalty or anything.

I could never get into Vectorman. It's cool but it's not as good as Aladdin or Earthworm Jim. There's too many good options on the Genesis so I never see the need to play it.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Vectorman was the right game at the right time. It was pretty awesome stuff when I was 8. I never actually owned the game, but it was one of those things you play at a friend's house, and use cheat codes. I could never figure out how to legitimately make it through the second level, though. It just never made sense.

Yes Boss!

Vectorman was the right game at the right time. It was pretty awesome stuff when I was 8. I never actually owned the game, but it was one of those things you play at a friend's house, and use cheat codes. I could never figure out how to legitimately make it through the second level, though. It just never made sense.

That is the thing...it had come out when I was 21. And I had moved to Berkeley for college. And was looking forward to the next gen by then. Only rented it.

I think I will pick up the first on VC and give it another go. I remember the tech being crazy. Never played the second but I will avoid on based on sixteen-bit's un-recommendation.

That is the thing...it had come out when I was 21. And I had moved to Berkeley for college. And was looking forward to the next gen by then. Only rented it.

I think I will pick up the first on VC and give it another go. I remember the tech being crazy. Never played the second but I will avoid on based on sixteen-bit's un-recommendation.

I rented Vector Man and really enjoyed it, but it was a little tough for me at the time (9 or 10 years old back then). I should buy it and try it again.

And back on Earthworm Jim, how can anyone not like it? That game was so much fun and it's animation was great for it's time. Earthworm Jim 64 sunk and I wish they would've came back with a reboot instead of a remaster.

RAIDEN1

Will we ever see a Indy Jones and Fate of Atlantis HD mix? Probably the greatest Indy adventure never to have been made into a film, someone even tried to get a new version of the game released recently, and with the recent release of Full Throttle, it got me wondering if that is the last of the remakes we will get for now when it comes to LucasArts catalogue...

I re-downloaded fate of Atlantis from Steam, still awesome as ever !! (Hopefully this time I can actually complete it!)

And back on Earthworm Jim, how can anyone not like it? That game was so much fun and it's animation was great for it's time. Earthworm Jim 64 sunk and I wish they would've came back with a reboot instead of a remaster.

It's a middle of the road platformer. The animation is nice and the look of the levels is creative, but this comes at a cost. The moment to moment action isn't nearly as tight because doing cartoon level animation, and also making a video game around that is very difficult, so they accepted the trade off to time/budget/etc...

It is a fine enough game, but in no way hangs with the mechanical tightness of the likes of Super Metroid, Gunstar Heroes, Super Mario World, Shinobi III, Mega Man X, Rondo of Blood, etc.. etc...

Timu

I beaten that back in 2015, great game as well.

If you can't beat the 2nd level then forget about the 3rd level since that's the hardest level in the game.

BTails

Will we ever see a Indy Jones and Fate of Atlantis HD mix? Probably the greatest Indy adventure never to have been made into a film, someone even tried to get a new version of the game released recently, and with the recent release of Full Throttle, it got me wondering if that is the last of the remakes we will get for now when it comes to LucasArts catalogue...

I re-downloaded fate of Atlantis from Steam, still awesome as ever !! (Hopefully this time I can actually complete it!)

I'd love to see a rerelease of this, however in my opinion the original art still holds up very well. I love early 90s VGA graphics, especially in classic adventures.

Fun story: I never finished Fate of Atlantis back in the day, and finally decided to beat it around 5 years ago. I put it on my iPad using ScummVM, and beat it while extremely ill on a flight from the UK to the west coast of Canada. I don't get motion sickness, but I caught something in my final days in the UK, and I literally could not move my head without a splitting headache. Thankfully point and clicks are pretty easy to control with minimal effort, haha.

Plus, being on an airplane, there's no way to look up a walkthrough, so I HAD to figure out all the puzzles!

Fularu

Banned
Y'all. Crazy.

I do remember levels like Down the Tubes and the one with Peter Puppy being pretty tough when I was a kid. When I went back to the game last year, I cruised through them. I really love the game, and it's aged well.

Though it does require an appreciation for a bit of toilet humor.

They were though because they played badly, not because they were difficult by design

Just like alladin

Xajin

Neo Member
I'm an ex-games developer (for my sins) and my friend (and ex-colleague) has just completed a book with all the behind the scenes shenanigans in game development in the UK in the 80s and 90s.

(also if it's allowed would be great if someone could start a new thread so it's a bit more prominent)

Figured as this is a retro thread it might be of some interest to everyone and it's only 3 quid on Kindle:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B071YC3FL1/

51cSS3avSAL.jpg

A first hand , warts and all, account of working in video game development in the pioneering days of the 1980's and 1990's, from the ZXSpectrum, up to the first and second generation of consoles. Sleeping under office desks because you haven't been paid, getting drunk on a daily basis, and still managing to produce some of the best selling games of the era.

Apologies if this kind of post isn't allowed but he's a great guy and deserves some success which sadly he hasn't ever got from working in games despite his gigantic contribution

Peltz

I'm an ex-games developer (for my sins) and my friend (and ex-colleague) has just completed a book with all the behind the scenes shenanigans in game development in the UK in the 80s and 90s.

(also if it's allowed would be great if someone could start a new thread so it's a bit more prominent)

Figured as this is a retro thread it might be of some interest to everyone and it's only 3 quid on Kindle:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B071YC3FL1/

51cSS3avSAL.jpg

Apologies if this kind of post isn't allowed but he's a great guy and deserves some success which sadly he hasn't ever got from working in games despite his gigantic contribution

If you want someone to make a thread for you, it probably would be better to have a bit more of a posting presence on the forum first. Self-promotion is against the rules, and while I don't think that's what you're doing here, I do think a mod would raise an eyebrow at this being your first post on the forum even though you've been a registered for 7 years.

It's not a big deal since the people in this thread are pretty cool and won't give you a hard time about it. But I just wanted to let you know that's how it may be viewed.

Xajin

Neo Member
If you want someone to make a thread for you, it probably would be better to have a bit more of a posting presence on the forum first. Self-promotion is against the rules, and while I don't think that's what you're doing here, I do think a mod would raise an eyebrow at this being your first post on the forum even though you've been a registered for 7 years.

It's not a big deal since the people in this thread are pretty cool and won't give you a hard time about it. But I just wanted to let you know that's how it may be viewed.

Thanks... I don't get involved in Neogaf apart from the odd lurking session but there are no doubt members of NeoGAF who will know me as a regular poster from the more secretive games industry only site, TCE and will probably vouch I'm not Shaun, genuinely trying to help him out with his book :)

IrishNinja

I could never get into Vectorman. It's cool but it's not as good as Aladdin or Earthworm Jim. There's too many good options on the Genesis so I never see the need to play it.

this was my take too - yeah it looked & sounded great for its era but it just never caught me, and there was just so much other stuff going on a the time

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I need help this week i decided i needed
Pokemon red, yellow, silver, and gold for my gameboy.
Killer instinct and super mario world 2 (yoshi's island) on my snes
followed by a custom made front lit gameboy color.
and right now i am looking at metal gear solid for my gbc

Peltz

I need help this week i decided i needed
Pokemon red, yellow, silver, and gold for my gameboy.
Killer instinct and super mario world 2 (yoshi's island) on my snes
followed by a custom made front lit gameboy color.
and right now i am looking at metal gear solid for my gbc

See, a person with a problem would also need Pokemon Blue. But you left that off because you totally have no problem.

tenor.gif

Spukc

See, a person with a problem would also need Pokemon Blue. But you left that off because you totally have no problem.

tenor.gif

no i already own blue and crystal and yes that would make me go crazy,
was trying to get a complete gen 1 and 2 set on the gb and gbc

All the xmen talk on the previous page reminded me of a fun little gem on the gameboy advance. There was an xmen game for it as well. I loved playing it and thought it was pretty darn good. Not sure if it was nostalgia or not though. I wonder how the visuals scale up onto a tv through a gameboy player...

Serge85

Adventures of Batman & Robin for the genesis MUST be 1CCed.... I don't know why they bother giving continues, they don't work after world 2, try to play level 3 and beyond without being powered up, I think is impossible, or very close.

I usually die 2 times in that game, *maybe* 3, more than that is game over (everytime you die, you power down).

Is a fantastic game :D

Laws00

The only game for N64 I ever was interested in that I don't own is Wonder Project J2. I remember seeing screen shots and pictures in magazines when the N64 was first coming out and it intrigued me to no end.

I've read about it and it looks like people aren't too fond of the translation(s) that people have done for the game

J-064-S-01410-A.jpg

Spukc

fuck this thread/site aint helping just won an auction on ebay.. lufia for 20 bucks

The only game for N64 I ever was interested in that I don't own is Wonder Project J2. I remember seeing screen shots and pictures in magazines when the N64 was first coming out and it intrigued me to no end.

I've read about it and it looks like people aren't too fond of the translation(s) that people have done for the game

J-064-S-01410-A.jpg

That looks pretty cool. I'll have to keep an eye out for a copy.

So in the last 24 hours, we've had people shitting on Aladdin, Earthworm Jim and Vectorman?!? Come on...

Aladdin and Vectorman are fantastic games, both among my favorite games on the Genesis. Vectiorman is an under-rated classic! Earthworm Jim, however, deserves the criticism. That game has way too many flaws, from the controls to the hit detection to the level designs and more. Sure it looks nice, but the game never has played nearly as well as it looks. Even back in the '90s I never loved EWJ gameplay-wise and it's even less good going back, as I said when I covered EWJs 1 and 2 in my PC Game Opinion Summaries thread last year.

And back on Earthworm Jim, how can anyone not like it? That game was so much fun and it's animation was great for it's time.
Because graphics aren't everything. The controls are imprecise and loose, levels are often not fun to navigate and can be unfair and frustrating both because of cheap hits and because it's not always obvious what you can interact with and what you can't, it's hard to tell when you are hitting a boss and they take a lot of hits to kill, and more. I'm not a fan of a lot of the humor in the game either, it's a bit too weird. EWJ makes a good first impression thanks its nice graphics and action, but I don't find it very fun. I've never gotten even halfway into either EWJ game and I don't know if I want to.

(Oh, and EWJ2's often not-good gimmicks make it worse than the first one.)

In the US, yes, Vectorman was quite well known. The game was Sega's big Genesis game for the holiday '95 season, first. Sega of Japan had abandoned the system by that point since they were making some very poor decisions so there was no major Japanese title to release, but fortunately a Western team stepped up and made something great in both graphics and gameplay. The Saturn was not exactly taking off, and most people did not have a PS1 yet, so the 4th-gen market still got the main focus that year on the console side, and Vectorman was one of the more notable releases of the year for the system. The gameplay is part of that, but the graphics, of course, are just as important, since Donkey Kong Country was HUGE and graphically Vectorman was Sega's answer to DKC. The gameplay is completely different of course, though really good, but visually that is accurate, like DKC Vectorman has prerendered graphics and is one of the system's best-looking games.

And for advertising, Sega pushed the game quite a bit. For instance, beyond the usual ads and such, there was a contest where the first person to send in a photo of the final screen, in certain winning copies, would get $25000, for example. I sure remember seeing the game back then and thinking it looked pretty cool, and liking the gameplay a lot too once I played some of it, and it's been one of my favorite Genesis games ever since.

The Adventures of Batman & Robin for the Genesis is indeed extremely hard, but it's a really fantastic run & gun shooter despite that and I love it! It's a really great game with my favorite soundtrack on the Genesis and very good gameplay, so I don't mind that I also don't know if I'll ever manage to finish the game...

Fate of Atlantis is one of Lucasart's best games, and yeah, it'd be awesome to see a remaster of it. It's not my favorite Lucasarts adventure game but it's near the top of the list, and the scope and ambition of the game are as impressive as how well they pulled it off is. Since Tim Schafer didn't work on it Double Fine won't be pushing for a remaster though, unlike Day of the Tentacle or Full Throttle, so who knows.

On a related note, since it's also from designer Hal Barwood, I thought that RTX Red Rock wasn't nearly as bad as people say. It's not amazing, sure, but it can be fun...

Top Bottom