• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

Tain

Got in the HD Retrovision cables and daaamn they look good on my Genesis. Definitely better than the SCART->Component conversion box I was using before, and obviously way more convenient.

On the Saturn I only tried X-Men CotA, and it looked nice though not quite as bright as the Genesis. Still great, though. Maybe that's just how the consoles output, or maybe I shoulda used the switch on the cable. Already hooked back up to the Genesis and I'm too lazy to find out right now, oh well.

My game room:

iUfwNSi.jpg

BriGuy

This is probably an appropriate place as any to ask, but what do people think of Retro Gamer Magazine? I only learned of its existence by a chance encounter in a Barnes & Noble this weekend (my first time inside one in about six years). It seems like a yearly subscription would run me $100+ in the States. I know it's kind of a subjective question, but do you think it's worth it?

Peltz

This is probably an appropriate place as any to ask, but what do people think of Retro Gamer Magazine? I only learned of its existence by a chance encounter in a Barnes & Noble this weekend (my first time inside one in about six years). It seems like a yearly subscription would run me $100+ in the States. I know it's kind of a subjective question, but do you think it's worth it?

Never heard of it, but that sounds like an absurd price for any magazine, especially today. I could maybe understand if it's the early 80s and there were not much information available about video games.

Even if it were of nice hard-cover quality and the writing/artwork were great, it still sounds like too much for a yearly subscription in my humble opinion.

I don't buy the normal magazine but I bought a couple of their "Collection" books which roll up some of their better articles into larger volumes. Honestly they're way too British. Like half the book is ZX Spectrum / Amstrad / that crap. And considering the price outside of Europe I really don't think it's worth it.

They also do bookazines that focus on specific topics which are quite a bit better. I have one they did on the N64 and Sega's consoles and both were pretty nice to read through and much more reasonably priced.

Hoping to see the earlier dragon quest games on the 3ds in a compilation of something

Need to get Joker 2 now

Joker 2 is so good.

Jinto

Hoping to see the earlier dragon quest games on the 3ds in a compilation of something

Need to get Joker 2 now

Joker 2 is also the only game I'm missing.

I picked up all the DS games for cheap a few years ago, but I've still yet to play a DQ game. I plan on starting with DQV this year. Debating whether I should play the PS2 or DS version.

Laws00

I picked up all the DS games for cheap a few years ago, but I've still yet to play a DQ game. I plan on starting with DQV this year. Debating whether I should play the PS2 or DS version.

Ya just got 6 the other day.

I'd pick the one in English lol

Didn't realize 5 came out in Japan.

Nice Nintendo cab! That's the one thing I'd love to have at some point and just absolutely do not have room for in my current house (and I'm not planning on moving again perhaps ever). Is it a dedicated VSMB or are there slits for PCBs in there?

I got it a few years ago for 200 on craigslist. It had Super Mario Bros in it but the monitor needed to be recapped so I rewired it for JAMMA whole I was in there. I'm not that big of a fan of the first one anyway. If it were Donkey Kong it would stay that way.

Anyway, the monitor barely has any life left in it sadly so I play my PCBs on my PVM using a supergun instead now.

I am just as much a fan of so-called "messy" game rooms. Those that are not meticulously staged but just always working and changing as the owner's whims. Typically, my gaming space looks like below. Please share your practical retro game spaces.
I'm too ocd to have a messy anything but I've worked out a system where everything I want is hooked up and ready to go as long as I get the controller and a game out.

I've played all the versions of DQ5 multiple times and my favorite is the DS version. Both the PS2 and DS versions have the extra character slot so they're both a lot easier than the SNES version. In terms of the way they play it's really similar.

But the art style in the PS2 verison is not so great; the DS one despite being technically less impressive has a better vibe to it. The 2D animations are cooler than the 3D ones too. Plus being handheld it's a lot easier to just squeeze in a bit extra play here and there with the DS verison.

Jinto

I've played all the versions of DQ5 multiple times and my favorite is the DS version. Both the PS2 and DS versions have the extra character slot so they're both a lot easier than the SNES version. In terms of the way they play it's really similar.

But the art style in the PS2 verison is not so great; the DS one despite being technically less impressive has a better vibe to it. The 2D animations are cooler than the 3D ones too. Plus being handheld it's a lot easier to just squeeze in a bit extra play here and there with the DS verison.

Interesting. I was leaning towards the PS2 version. I'm not sure where, but I remember reading it has better music and the more accurate translation.

You're right though, the PS2 version definitely looks uglier.

Interesting. I was leaning towards the PS2 version. I'm not sure where, but I remember reading it has better music and the more accurate translation.

You're right though, the PS2 version definitely looks uglier.

The translation is really subjective. Usually fan translations are a big step down from official ones, with some exceptions. In this case some people just really don't like the accents assigned to different regions in the DS games.

The music is different but the IMO it's not such a big deal, but I'm also a weirdo that really likes the way the softsynth on DS sounds.

Jinto

The translation is really subjective. Usually fan translations are a big step down from official ones, with some exceptions. In this case some people just really don't like the accents assigned to different regions in the DS games.

The music is different but the IMO it's not such a big deal, but I'm also a weirdo that really likes the way the softsynth on DS sounds.

Alright, you convinced me. DS version it is. I plan on playing this right after Breath of the Wild, which I'll be starting shortly, so it might be awhile.

Fularu

Banned
This pitch is aimed squarely at lay people... it's going to be some lame Android device.
It's a windows 10 device

As specified on the page itself (with an intel processor.. probably the gs4xxx since Intel is out of Atom processors).

I found the jab at the raspberry prety ironic since their device costs at the very least almost 4 times the proce of the pi.

I dream of the windows handheld future where i can play anything up to 6th-7th gen on the go.

Can't you do pretty close to that today with a GPD Win or a small Atom tablet + controller attachment? If you're willing to accept 30FPS with dips like a console.

Or do you mean emulating everything?

Personally I'm waiting for one more generation of improvement and hopefully a system without a fan before I buy something like that.

Peltz

I dream of the windows handheld future where i can play anything up to 6th-7th gen on the go.

I hope the Switch takes off and everyone wants to port libraries from those gens. If Skyrim doesn't sell well, however, I have a feeling many of those 6th-7th gen games won't be coming.

My old "couch setup". Everything is packed away now though :(

Great setup! BTW, I was Googling info on the 310 TV and your blog post came up. Nice write up. If I ever get a chance to snag one, I'll do it. Even if I don't have much room for it ... I'll make the room eventually. Seems like it's worth the seemingly minor hit in quality compared to a true BVM/PVM to get that size. I think a 32 would be perfect.

Kawika

For some reason it reminds me of this advert in like every EGM magazine.

gamepro-puzzle-contest.jpg

Need to get Joker 2 now

I love targeted collecting like this. All the Dragon Quest games on the DS is a great. I don't really understand why some people have such large unfocused collecting habits. Its like some weird game hording disorder. I always shudder a bit when I see people who have walls and walls of games (funny I never think this when I see someone with a large book or music collection).

No love for Rocket Slime?

One of my favorite games on the DS. This needs to be in his DQ collection.

I love targeted collecting like this. All the Dragon Quest games on the DS is a great. I don't really understand why some people have such large unfocused collecting habits. Its like some weird game hording disorder. I always shudder a bit when I see people who have walls and walls of games (funny I never think this when I see someone with a large book or music collection).

I should make an up-to-date photo of all my Dragon Quest games...

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

This was the absolute coolest thing, back in the day. I didn't see it until a little later on, when they had a console bundle that was the PS1, Saturn, and N64, but yeah... that really was the dream setup back then.

I am just as much a fan of so-called "messy" game rooms. Those that are not meticulously staged but just always working and changing as the owner's whims. Typically, my gaming space looks like below. Please share your practical retro game spaces.

F9qbCN4.jpg

hahaha, cuz, you know, two gamepads are never enough.that's awesome, actually.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Does anyone know how I would go about tracking down someone in Ontario (i.e. GTA) capable of re-capping a Mega Drive? Anyone know anyone?

I'm on Assembler but their search seems to still be down. Thanks!

Great setup! BTW, I was Googling info on the 310 TV and your blog post came up. Nice write up. If I ever get a chance to snag one, I'll do it. Even if I don't have much room for it ... I'll make the room eventually. Seems like it's worth the seemingly minor hit in quality compared to a true BVM/PVM to get that size. I think a 32 would be perfect.

Thanks Radar I'm glad you enjoyed it. When I was searching for info I never found much so I thought I should try and fix that!

It's absolutely worth the hit in quality to get that size. I think it's akin to 1080p looking fantastic on a 20" monitor but pretty ass on a 65" tv. The "couch" setup was for multiplayer since I still used my 20"bvm on my computer desk for solo play but honestly the 310 is pretty much bvm quality, I just prefer gaming at a desk.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

I wouldn't subscribe to it, but I've picked up an issue here and there over the years. There's some interesting stuff in there, though I feel like a lot of us in here are at the point where there's just not much they can tell us that we don't already know.

dubc35

spot on dude

not a fan of set-ups with ten machines all hooked up at once in a line

that's not 'neat' in any sense of the word, just the most boring kind of ocd

I'm not too concerned with how others want to setup their room. I probably have the space to setup all my consoles but I choose not to. I just don't want to dominate the room with them. If I had a dedicated room for gaming I probably would. I'm sure others greatly value the ability to play anything in their collection quickly without hooking up a bunch of cables.

My working setup, (terrible lighting and phone pic, sorry). I pull the PVM out and sit in the white chair while retro gaming. Couch (not pictured) is facing the HDTV.
  • PS3 and og Xbox always hooked up to the HDTV (Wii will join them soon).
  • NES and slim ps2 (behind the NES on top of PVM) currently hooked up. DS lite also in the mix right now.
  • Disk based games in the containers below, cart based in tupperware type containers (like the far right with the NES games).
  • phat PS2, PSX, PSOne, Genesis, SNES, Game Gear, PSP stored in the back room behind the door.

Peltz

spot on dude

I'm currently in the process of going from messy to boring like that. It's a necessary transition for me.

I'm tired of reconfiguring my living room every time I want to play something old school. I only live in a one bedroom so even the smallest bit of mess tends to dominate the space.

IrishNinja

spot on dude

not quite as boring as your desire to dump on people's setups though

videogame_pile.jpg

not mine

i wanna organize this room so bad

My game room:

...i wanna come over

for starters: man i wish more of us talked gaming mags!
for two: i used to sub (it's much easier if you use this codeword that i found on amazon, way cheaper than newstand prices i wanna say) and i love their layouts but maaaan i hope you're ready to have too much coverage of amiga & other EU scenes

i love your speakers

this is still the dream
like when my career comes through ima get a house, a neo geo & whatever flashdrive and scour garage sales for obnoxiously large black speakers like that - just 2, the classic game room need not be fancier than stereo sound

Laws00

One of my favorite games on the DS. This needs to be in his DQ collection.

My dad has so much Audio stuff it's not even funny. Not so much a big screen tv person. All those speakers and subwoofers were common in my house. I'll take a picture of some of the stuff. I don't even know what half the stuff is.

And on Dragon quest and my collecting. I think you might sing a different tune when you see the other stuff I "hoard" lol

KC-Slater

Does anyone know how I would go about tracking down someone in Ontario (i.e. GTA) capable of re-capping a Mega Drive? Anyone know anyone?

I'm on Assembler but their search seems to still be down. Thanks!

I think socksfelloff may be able to help you out? Reach out, he's a friendly dude.

There's another person I see advertising their services around the GTA that works on consoles. I haven't had this person work on any of my stuff, but I've seen them post on some Canadian gaming forums and is local to the GTA. I'll inbox you their info. Also maybe reach out to them?

Top Bottom