• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

Peltz

I really wish brook made an adapter that would let me play one of my arcade sticks on GCN. I have SoulCalibur II on there but cannot justify building or buying a GCN arcade stick just for one game.

I have sticks with native support for:

Dreamcast
PS1/2
PS3/4
NEO GEO
Xbox 360

I guess anything with GCN compatibility would also be good for the arcade games on the Wii VC too though. So I guess that gives me a bit more to think about. Does anyone here have any good suggestions for a converter?

I just want an adapter to use a Saturn controller on a PS1

If you have deep pockets there's always this...

sega-saturn-ps2-controller-1-1024x768.jpg

I don't understand how this is a real thing. What's the story behind this?

I have to assume it was in response to the Sega Ages 2500 series, which had some pretty good Model 2 ports. This way you could treat it as an alternate universe Sega Saturn that actually had decent looking 3D, lol.

They also released a Virtua Stick HSS-0136 clone

6b06ac657490cdbba973060e416f811e.jpg

D.Lo

They released some of them when they were doing Vampire Collection and Street Fighter Zero Collection, including a special edition Vampire one, so maybe a collab with Capcom?

I've had mine since release. The pins (to connect to the console) are bad quality and it broke once, I fixed it and now have an extension cable permanently attached to protect it.

I have never used that piece of shit segmented Sony dpad for 2D games on PS1/2 ever again.

EDIT: Holy crap I didn't realise they were going for hundreds of dollars now!

I really wish brook made an adapter that would let me play one of my arcade sticks on GCN. I have SoulCalibur II on there but cannot justify building or buying a GCN arcade stick just for one game.

Dreamcast
PS1/2
PS3/4
NEO GEO
Xbox 360

I guess anything with GCN compatibility would also be good for the arcade games on the Wii VC too though. So I guess that gives me a bit more to think about. Does anyone here have any good suggestions for a converter?

I found some random ass ps2-gcn/xbox controller adapter at a thrift store a few months ago. It has no brand marking on it and unfortunately all my gaming stuff is packed away so I can't try it. I'm real curiose how well it works.

KC-Slater

Dreamcast
PS1/2
PS3/4
NEO GEO
Xbox 360

See if you can track down this converter.

Edit: Amazon link

Vespa

I just want an adapter to use a Saturn controller on a PS1

Same, would love to use my Saturn Twin stick on the PS2 Virtual On release.

There is an adapter that's supposed to be good (minimal lag) made by some guy but it's no longer being made. His site has guide to make your own though which is on my list of things I want to attempt: http://denki.world3.net/pad_converters.html

Another option would be one of those Cthulu setups but I don't know too much about them.

I'll be in Manhattan by the Lower East Side and Bowery this Monday and Tuesday, besides VGNY and Barcade, anything cool gaming wise? More on the retro/arcadey side.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I have to assume it was in response to the Sega Ages 2500 series, which had some pretty good Model 2 ports. This way you could treat it as an alternate universe Sega Saturn that actually had decent looking 3D, lol.

They also released a Virtua Stick HSS-0136 clone

6b06ac657490cdbba973060e416f811e.jpg

I actually got this with Virtua Fighter 4, not bad!

hey retroGAF,
for night of horrors,

i triple dipped and picked up a long box Resident Evil ps1 today:
Awesome pick up! Triple dipped? What version is there besides the long box and jewel case? Edit-- It's Saturn I guess you are talking about.

I actually think Resident Evil was the first Playstation game I bought that wasn't a long box. I was like what is this shit. One day I shall have it in it's full glory.

Fularu

Banned
Awesome pick up! Triple dipped? What version is there besides the long box and jewel case? Edit-- It's Saturn I guess you are talking about.

I actually think Resident Evil was the first Playstation game I bought that wasn't a long box. I was like what is this shit. One day I shall have it in it's full glory.

The Director's Cut and the Dual Shock versions

The Director's Cut and the Dual Shock versions
oh yeah! the Black Label Director's Cut is a must have.
(avoid greatest hits green label at all costs. butchered unchangeable OST)

i had the jewel version of re1 but never the long box, just thought to pick it up =)

meppi

Started listening to the Sega Arcade History 88-90 episode of Retronauts thinking it would be a fun listen and I might learn a thing or two.
Guess that was asking a bit too much.
It's quite frustrating to hear just how much they get wrong when it comes to Sega stuff. :-/
Between the endless Altered Beast "jokes" that have been made a thousand times over and keep getting dragged into the discussion, the mentions of "this game never got a home release, certainly not on the Genesis/Mega Drive." that is plain wrong and could easily be remedied by a couple of wikipedia lookups, or heck Gamefaqs even, and the clearly shallow knowledge pool between the hosts when it comes to anything Sega, I came away more frustrated than anything.

Anyone know better podcasts than this for Sega stuff?

bodine1231

Ok,just got back from a MASSIVE Nes Craigslist pickup. I bought 500+ NES games with no doubles. Paid $1200 for the whole thing so a little over $2 per game. I havent gone through it yet but I know theres good stuff in here from glancing (Ducktales 2,Mega Man 1-6,Castlevanias,Contra,etc.). Also came with a boxed NES and a couple other consoles.

My question is,whats the best way to recoup my money? I do collect NES but up to this point I've kept a super curated collection,only the best games. Should I pick out the games I like and sell the expensive ones individually and the rest in a lot? That seems like the best way but I'd like to get some opinions. I may just keep the whole thing and sell the doubles since this will put me damn close (relatively) to a complete collection. Money is tight right now but I just could not pass this up.

expAF6Yl.jpg

Ok,just got back from a MASSIVE Nes Craigslist pickup. I bought 500+ NES games with no doubles. Paid $1200 for the whole thing so a little over $2 per game. I havent gone through it yet but I know theres good stuff in here from glancing (Ducktales 2,Mega Man 1-6,Castlevanias,Contra,etc.). Also came with a boxed NES and a couple other consoles.

My question is,whats the best way to recoup my money? I do collect NES but up to this point I've kept a super curated collection,only the best games. Should I pick out the games I like and sell the expensive ones individually and the rest in a lot? That seems like the best way but I'd like to get some opinions. I may just keep the whole thing and sell the doubles since this will put me damn close (relatively) to a complete collection. Money is tight right now but I just could not pass this up.

expAF6Yl.jpg

How do you always find these things?

bodine1231

How do you always find these things?

I woke up this morning and did a quick search on Craigslist. The guy had JUST put it up and was asking 2k. Called and offered him $1200 and he said "come over and get it" lol. Dumb fuckin luck.

I'm about halfway through.

6BWn5Xvm.jpg

This is the best stuff that I don't have so far. Lots of $20+ games in the pile that I have though.

wcPisSsl.jpg

Here's the most valuable stuff in the lot. Took about 3 hours to go through it all

wPDK0FZl.jpg

bodine1231

Thanks. I'm just gonna pick what I need for my collection and sell the rest. I thought I'd like a full NES set but I think having something thats curated with only the best titles is more manageable.

Peltz

Been playing more of Layer Section on Saturn. I've gotten up to Stage 6 and feel myself getting pretty good at it.

Each stage is more graphically impressive than the last. The parallax scrolling of some of the environments is really cool too. And I'm digging the boss fights a lot.

I think this may be my favorite vertically scrolling shmup... ever. And I still haven't even beaten it.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Been playing more of Layer Section on Saturn. I've gotten up to Stage 6 and feel myself getting pretty good at it.

Each stage is more graphically impressive than the last. The parallax scrolling of some of the environments is really cool too. And I'm digging the boss fights a lot.

I think this may be my favorite vertically scrolling shmup... ever. And I still haven't even beaten it.

It's really good, and I've always loved how the game has you descending deeper and deeper into the core of the planet.

it's pretty challenging, i couldn't beat it. so if you beat if before me, congrats!

also it's much harder to impossible to play without tate mode. instead of scaling the screen down, it cuts off 30% of the screen so it's impossible to lock-on to some enemies in non TATE mode.

expAF6Yl.jpg

PM'd you on this.

There's an auction that eBay keeps recommending to me for some reason of a "Mortal Kombat Sub-Zero Halloween costume" but the picture is clearly of Scorpion and it's driving me insane.

BTails

Here's the most valuable stuff in the lot. Took about 3 hours to go through it all

When did Nightmare on Elm St become valuable? Is it finally getting the recognition it deserves as a great little action platformer by Rare with an awesome David Wise soundtrack?

Top Bottom