• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro Gamer magazine reader's top 150 games

8bit

Knows the Score
I'm disappointed in my apparent lack of knowledge on pre-DOS PC games. Never even heard of Chuckie Egg, Lords of Midnight, Head over Heels, 3D Deathchase, and Paradroid. Great list though. You guys also sold me on buying some of the older copies of the magazine, that SNES/Genesis issue is mine!

Those aren't even strictly PC games, they're C64/Spectrum era.

mclem

Interesting that they chat with Matthew Smith for Jet Set Willy but not for Manic Miner. Guess they wanted more variety.

mclem

I'm disappointed in my apparent lack of knowledge on pre-DOS PC games. Never even heard of Chuckie Egg, Lords of Midnight, Head over Heels, 3D Deathchase, and Paradroid. Great list though. You guys also sold me on buying some of the older copies of the magazine, that SNES/Genesis issue is mine!

All five of those are interesting in their own ways, too.

Chuckie Egg is a very capable single-screen platformer; it does get a bit visually tedious when you compare it to Manic Miner where each screen had unique scenery, but great gameplay and variety, and unusual physics (the rebounding gets really fun when you get used to it!)

Lords of Midnight is one of those games that's ridiculously far ahead of its time. A massive first-person... what? Wargame? RPG? Kind of... both? Thematically somewhat derivative of LOTR, fairly recently rereleased for PC and mobile.

Head over Heels is genuinely one of my favourite games ever. I've always had a soft spot for the Ritman/Drummond line of isometric platformers, and I do think HoH is the best. A nice line in scaling levels of 'victory', too; it's one thing to complete the game, but if you try to gather all five crowns too it's something like three times as large. There's quite a nice indie remake available for free (Ritman's been very open-minded about copyright!). If you're from the US you may be aware of Monster Max on the Game Boy which was Ritman/Drummond bringing the same style to that platform.

3D Deathchase is... well, it's basically the speeder bike race from ROTJ, without anything copyright-infringing in it. It's pure arcade gameplay, games will often be quite brief, but it's a lot of fun.

Paradroid (And indeed the sequels/spinoffs, Paradroid '90, Quazatron and Magnetron) is a fun little maze shooter with a really nice 'grapple' mechanic allowing you to steal components from other droids, allowing for a lot of strategic variety in how you play it.

HKT3030

Neo Member
That one was just because we'd already done "Making Of" features for Manic Miner and Jet Set Willy II, and it seemed crazy that we hadn't yet done one for Jet Set Willy itself.

gelf

I love seeing charts like this that are less US specific in taste. The UK retro scene differs quite a lot in preferences before the Playstation era when I think it started to normalise more after the death of the Amiga.

Final Fight being above all of Capcom's other arcade brawlers is questionable, and I say that as a big fan of the game. Same for Symphony of the Night being above the rest of the series. I suppose it is just a popularity ranking, though.

Woah, there are so many Nintendo games on this list.

Of course, only OLD Nintendo games. That really shows Nintendos reputation today.

Galaxy & Galaxy 2 are both there. No games from this gen made the cut it seems. I bet a future list would have splatoon and possibly maker though.

They are both kinda personal computers though.

....just that most people didn't use them for that purpose lol

Ralemont

not me
As much as I love Knights of the Old Republic, I'd have some difficulty lobbying for it as BioWare's best game. You could make an argument for its importance over something like Mass Effect 2 considering the dire landscape for console WRPGs at the time (and still today, I suppose) but since the list isn't just for consoles...

HKT3030

Neo Member
Galaxy & Galaxy 2 are both there. No games from this gen made the cut it seems. I bet a future list would have splatoon and possibly maker though.
That's obviously got a lot to do with our readership and their preferences (I'd imagine you'd get a different result if polling GamesTM's readers, for example), but part of that is also down to timing.

What with print lead times being what they are, the issue coming out over the holidays and the amount of people we'd need to contact for interview content, we knew we'd have to have the list locked down some time in advance. Voting commenced way back in January last year and ran until the end of September, so readers had plenty of time to vote, but it also meant that many votes were placed before the likes of Bloodborne and Splatoon came out.

data

Why do these lists always list Half-Life 2 but not Episode 1 or 2? Are those just considered under Half-Life 2 or did no one like them as much as 2?

Klart

Final Fight being above all of Capcom's other arcade brawlers is questionable, and I say that as a big fan of the game. Same for Symphony of the Night being above the rest of the series. I suppose it is just a popularity ranking, though.

Yup, the known names get more votes. Not that those are bad games, but f.i. Capcom had many greater other brawlers (Alien vs Predator, Battle Circuit, Cadillacs vs Dinosaurs,...).

8bit

Knows the Score

I tend to think of those as the home computing era though, Atari ST/Amiga/286 is where I make the mental leap to Personal Computer for some reason. More of a comment for the guy talking about looking for PC games and probably not finding Paradroid. or if anything a dodgy remake.

Raitaro

145) Outrun 2006 Coast 2 Coast
127) F-Zero GX
113) Skies of Arcadia
86) Final Fight
70) Secret of Mana
33) Chrono Trigger
23) Super Metroid [Yoshio Sakamoto]
22) Out Run
18) Streets of Rage II

Are you paying attention Sega, Nintendo, Square Enix and Capcom? The (classic game loving) people have spoken and they want a new Out Run, F-Zero, Metroid, Streets of Rage, Skies of Arcadia, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana and Final Fight.

And no, I haven't forgotten about you Konami.

94) Super Castlevania IV
79) Silent Hill 2
27) Castlevania : Symphony of the Night [Iga]

Put your (pachinko) money where your mouth is and bring us a new console/PC Castlevania and Silent Hill dammit!

(Yes, I do know such lists have little pull with publishers, especially Japanese ones, but a guy can dream right?)

Super Mario World is still the best platformer ever. Nothing comes close.

Personally close second to Super Mario Bros. 3. I just think it has a bit better level design and with the somewhat shorter levels I think it has a slight better pacing overall. Of course both are among the best games of all time.

Solid list overall and nice to see first and second Monkey Island that high on the list.

Qwark

I tend to think of those as the home computing era though, Atari ST/Amiga/286 is where I make the mental leap to Personal Computer for some reason. More of a comment for the guy talking about looking for PC games and probably not finding Paradroid. or if anything a dodgy remake.

Ah, I thought I might be referring to those wrong but I didn't know how to refer to them collectively if not as PC's.

Top Bottom