• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro Studios Hires Uncharted 3, Darksiders Artists. Crunch Time "This Year"

Status
Not open for further replies.

pvpness

I must be the only one that found the Prime series boring.
inb4hate.
I didn't find them boring just didn't find them very Metroid like, what with their slow ass Samus. I'd be happy if Retro didn't touch Metroid again for the rest of my life. Unless they wanted to make a 2D Metroid featuring agile Samus.

I'd really like this to be a third person, futuristic, sand-box game that is huge on customization like Saint's Row. It's getting hard to fight hypehypehype.

As exciting as a Wii U title would be I have to admit that I would absolutely love to see a Donkey Kong Country Returns game that takes inspiration from DKC2 and 3 or a new 2D Metroid game on 3DS.

gogojira

Very much doubt it's Zelda - not so soon after Skyward Sword.

I am guessing it could be one of three things:

The guy worked on Uncharted, right? I think somebody that's worked on Uncharted's jungle/tomb/temple settings would be ideally suited to a Donkey Kong title. Could it be a 3D platformer with an expansive jungle setting?

Metroid Prime. Metroid's art would look glorious on a HD machine. Absolutely stunning.

An original IP altogether.

Any one of these I'd be happy with!

An announcement at E3 wouldn't be too soon considering it'll be at least a year or more beyond the Wii U launch. Not to say that your other ideas aren't good, of course.

MisterHero

Picture of his desk:

AggH_tACAAEOogH.jpg:large

Detective GAF UNITE!
maybe he's making a game for that unknown nintendo hardware that has a phone growing out of it

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Do Donkey Kong Country Returns 2 and 3, then next gen zelda, then new IP plz

Are you aware of the rate at which Retro release games? They released 2 games during the Wii lifespan(3 if you wanna count Metroid Prime Trilogy). If you want DKCR2 and 3 before a Zelda game, we wont see it until after 2016.

Personally, i do not want to wait another 5 years before the next Zelda.

[Nintex]

An announcement at E3 wouldn't be too soon considering it'll be at least a year or more beyond the Wii U launch.

And the crunch time remark makes me thing it'll ship this year. Sure you can also 'crunch' towards an E3 demo or an important milestone but if the studio is not Crytek it's not likely to be in maximum crunch time all year. To give an example, when a funny Donkey Kong video hit youtube in August 2010 a Retro Studios guy commented on it and said it helped him to get through the crunch time.

Also, this guy mentioned on his twitter that he didn't work on Mario Kart 7.

gogojira

[Nintex];34163240 said:
And the crunch time remark makes me thing it'll ship this year. Sure you can also 'crunch' towards an E3 demo or an important milestone but if the studio is not Crytek it's not likely to be in maximum crunch time all year. To give an example, when a funny Donkey Kong video hit youtube in August 2010 a Retro Studios guy commented on it and said it helped him to get through the crunch time.

Also, this guy mentioned on his twitter that he didn't work on Mario Kart 7.

Got caught up with something else so I must have glossed over that part. In that case, yeah, too soon for a new Zelda.

Random thought, could it be a sequel to Eternal Darkness. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Nintendo owns the IP meaning it's up to them to decide the fate of the franchise. It's been one of those franchises Nintendo fans want to see again, but I'm not sure confidence in SK is very high.

Having Retro bring it back to life might be the way to go. Just speculation.

Edit: Apparently beaten as someone has already shouted ETERNAL DARKNESS II, haha.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Twitter said:
Eric Kozlowsky @vonkoz 3 Nov Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
Do a barrel roll! google.com

Star Fox CONFIRRMED!!11!!

Not really.

Edit: He worked on Uncharted 3 for nine months.

[Nintex]

I don't even see his name on U3 credits (there were 12 environment artists by the way). GAF as usual overstating the impact one guy makes anyway.

He worked there for 9 months but was not mentioned in the credits he was pretty sad about that on twitter.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Twitter said:
Eric Kozlowsky @vonkoz 24 Oct
@SteveKamb Thanks! Alas I can't talk about my project! Though we just finished work Mario Kart 7 for the 3DS! It's REALLY GOOD But Im biased

Eric Kozlowsky @vonkoz 24 Oct
@SteveKamb haha no, I only started here in July. A few of my friends here have worked on all of the Prime titles. I'll let them know! :)

I'm sure you don't leave Naughty Dog or the Darksider guys unless the project is bigger than what you're on now.

I'd love a Zelda spin off, but i'm guessing it's going to be an epic Metroid title, maybe metroid on drugs or Halo'd up to try and get Western hardcore gamers interested in Nintendo hardcore games.

i hope they also hired someone thats good at human character models

thats probably the one thing retro is terrible at. the faces of people in MP3 were hilarious

Combine

Banned
Random thought, could it be a sequel to Eternal Darkness. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Nintendo owns the IP meaning it's up to them to decide the fate of the franchise. It's been one of those franchises Nintendo fans want to see again, but I'm not sure confidence in SK is very high.
Eternal Darkness probably isn't coming back. It wasn't a big seller and I doubt Nintendo wants to invest in it. While it's possible they could try and have Silicon Knights (mainly Denis) collaborate with Retro (Nintendo does still have a small ownership of SK), I doubt they'd go through all the trouble for a franchise that no one but a few remember.

Crowning Achievement might mean something big. Zelda? Metroid? F-Zero? Star Fox? New IP? Guess we'll find out at E3.
Why can't E3 be this week? :(

Game-Biz

IT's gotta be Halo.

From what my sources at CES are telling me, MS is licensing out the franchise to Nintendo (for a hefty price, of course -- I'm told MS wants 4% of all profits) for a surprise launch title for launch of Wii U in October. I'm told to expect the best multiplayer experience ever on a gaming console and 100+ hours of singler player gameplay goodness.

And here's a choice quote from my source:

"It's simply the best looking piece of software I have ever laid eyes on! I mean, with 1080p and 60 fps no hitches detected, you can't go wrong. It benefits from the 4 gigs of RAM that Nintendo decided to include in the Wii U hardware after much pressure from studios."

And for the haters and naysayers: My source is solid. He predicted the 3DS price drop 2 months before it happened.

Crowning Achievement might mean something big. Zelda? Metroid? F-Zero? Star Fox? New IP? Guess we'll find out at E3.
Why can't E3 be this week? :(

When I hear someone say crowning achievement I think that means something is original. Following in someone else's footsteps, no matter how far you stray from their path, still means that you had a template to work off of in the first place.

I'm thinking new IP here.

I said it wasn't going to be Zelda, but I find it hard to believe that someone from Uncharted 3 would refer to a Star Fox or Metroid project as a "crowning achievement"..... Maybe it is Zelda

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom