• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro Studios Hires Uncharted 3, Darksiders Artists. Crunch Time "This Year"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Appleman

i hope they also hired someone thats good at human character models

thats probably the one thing retro is terrible at. the faces of people in MP3 were hilarious

Nope, the problem was that there WAS humans in MP3.

Wii-U Metroid with MP1/2 levels of atmosphere/isolation: day freaking 1

IT's gotta be Halo.

From what my sources at CES are telling me, MS is licensing out the franchise to Nintendo (for a hefty price, of course -- I'm told MS wants 4% of all profits) for a surprise launch title for launch of Wii U in October. I'm told to expect the best multiplayer experience ever on a gaming console and 100+ hours of singler player gameplay goodness.

And here's a choice quote from my source:

"It's simply the best looking piece of software I have ever laid eyes on! I mean, with 1080p and 60 fps no hitches detected, you can't go wrong. It benefits from the 4 gigs of RAM that Nintendo decided to include in the Wii U hardware after much pressure from studios."

And for the haters and naysayers: My source is solid. He predicted the 3DS price drop 2 months before it happened.

Is there a Mother 3 minigame?

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
I thought Retro said they were done with Metroid?
They might have, I dont remember hearing that though. I think because they are owned by Nintendo, they dont really call the shots as far as IP's.

Edit: Beaten

No Zelda, no Metroid, no Startropics. Give us a new, meaty character-driven IP Nintendo. It's been so long!

Perhaps something original in hands that have PROVEN capable of crafting good things will compel me to buy the WiiU, but as it stands...I wish them the best of luck.

[Nintex];34164354 said:
Bill Trinnen: "oh look good Wii U news"

Reggie: "Quickly PR team to our battle stations, we must shoot this down!"

what

seriously all of these insane conspiracy theories you've been producing are getting really weird

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Retro is going to make the first 3d Zelda game now? They might be a little to late for that.
It's not about making the first 3D Zelda, it's about doing something new with the formula or at least delivering something that isn't filled with hand holding and fetch quests.

The design of Metroid Prime was incredibly elegant and well thought out. You didn't need constant reminders from NPCs on how to do the simplest actions. It played out intuitively and delivered stellar atmosphere, scenario design, and gameplay across the board.

At there core, the modern Zelda games are very well done, but there are too many little things that ultimately sour me on each one. You may not agree, and that's fine, but I'm ready for a fresh perspective and I think Retro has handled Nintendo's franchises better than EAD has throughout the last ten years. Metroid Prime is one of the finest games Nintendo has ever published and Retro is responsible for it.

Well, Zelda is in the hands of Aonuma pretty much at this point. The past Miyamoto comment seems to point to a collaboration between EAD and Retro w/ Aonuma as producer. How large a role Retro plays in development is up in the air. But they likely have something in the works for close to launch that isn't Zelda.

Thraktor

Here's a list of frachises that are definitely not being worked on by Retro Studios:

- Zelda, The Legend Of

That is all.

I don't want Retro involved in Zelda. I want them to do their own thing. The Zelda devs are more than capable enough of fixing the "problems" found in the games but what they need to on top of everything is IGNORE THE FANS.

Zelda fans are among the worst, most unhelpful fanbase. They don't know what they want. When you look at games they made doing their own thing (Everything before TP) and games made listening to fans (TP and SS) you can see it just works out better ignoring fans and surprising them. Although, I do LOVE SS, but TP was clearly influenced by what fans wanted and it had problems because of that

I want a new console Zelda like MM. Something completely out of left field. Something not trying to address what fans want but simply a cool idea the dev team had just built upon with no outside influence

IT's gotta be Halo.

From what my sources at CES are telling me, MS is licensing out the franchise to Nintendo (for a hefty price, of course -- I'm told MS wants 4% of all profits) for a surprise launch title for launch of Wii U in October. I'm told to expect the best multiplayer experience ever on a gaming console and 100+ hours of singler player gameplay goodness.

And here's a choice quote from my source:

"It's simply the best looking piece of software I have ever laid eyes on! I mean, with 1080p and 60 fps no hitches detected, you can't go wrong. It benefits from the 4 gigs of RAM that Nintendo decided to include in the Wii U hardware after much pressure from studios."

And for the haters and naysayers: My source is solid. He predicted the 3DS price drop 2 months before it happened.
Hmm. This seems legit.

apana

Here is the full quote by him in case anyone is too lazy to click:

So I've been working on a game concept for a while now. It's slowly starting to coalesce and become something cool. But I want to make sure I do things right and actually finish it. Alas I am going to shelve it for a little while as I am going to work on another project that I am super excited about. I can't talk about it too much but if all goes well it might just be one of my crowning achievements as an artist....

In the meantime this is a concept I was working on for the main character of my game concept (called The Tower at the moment).

tower_char.jpg

You mean an actual artist worked on Darksiders? I thought they just stole some drawings from some five year old kid on deviantart and based the art off of that.

Dr.Hadji

It's not about making the first 3D Zelda, it's about doing something new with the formula or at least delivering something that isn't filled with hand holding and fetch quests.

The design of Metroid Prime was incredibly elegant and well thought out. You didn't need constant reminders from NPCs on how to do the simplest actions. It played out intuitively and delivered stellar atmosphere, scenario design, and gameplay across the board.

At there core, the modern Zelda games are very well done, but there are too many little things that ultimately sour me on each one. You may not agree, and that's fine, but I'm ready for a fresh perspective and I think Retro has handled Nintendo's franchises better than EAD has throughout the last ten years. Metroid Prime is one of the finest games Nintendo has ever published and Retro is responsible for it.

So replace Fi with scans and replace tear hunt fetch quests with the 12 artifacts fetch quests? Seriously though, I hear what you're saying. I just don't think the things we like about Prime are philosophies of Retro and have more to do with Retro making a 3d Super Metroid.

royalan

Now THIS is what I want to see, Ninty.

The war chest has been opened!

Devs better hide ya programmers, and hide ya artists. Ninty's climbing in your windows and snatchin your people up!

apana

No matter what Retro does the possiblities are incredible. Zelda with graphics better than what we've seen in God of War and Last Guardian, Starfox where each individual strand of fur has been modeled, Pikmin 3 with Pixar level graphics and mature storyline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom