• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RetroArch 1.8.2 (and onwards)

SaiyanRaoh

Just crt-mattias.slangp for the most part. It's before the crt-royale stuff on the list as you scroll to activate a preset. There are better shaders per scenario, I really like the crt-yo6-KV-M1420B-sharp (or not sharp) .slangp with the Saturn but any games using its high resolution mode, like Virtua Fighter 2, are a mess as it assumes low res output specifically. Hylian variants also look pretty cool in many cases, but the mattias shader generally works great across the board as a catch-all solution I don't need to switch per core/game or even when using actual 1440p+ 3D game rendering.

Thanks for the info. I have a pretty decent Launchbox setup and getting the right filters for a lot of these systems have been nagging me.

Froschi

Hmmmm. Just installed 1.8.2. on my Vita and now upon ystarting RetroArch I only receive a crash with the following error message:

"An error has occured in the following application.
(C2-12828-1)
Saved Core File Succeeded.
ux0:data/psp2core-1578403116-0x0006fb3c91-gambatte_libretro.self.psp2dmp"

After which I can only acknowledge the error and return to the Vita's main menu.

Halp, plz! :'(

Edit: Never mind that. I've reinstalled 1.8.1. and everything is running peachy again.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Some more Gungriffon fun and making preparations for the coming (please, please, please) Princess Crown fan translation. This is the first time I try the game despite wanting it for forever, it's so cool, I can't wait. Yeah, the cute kid witch bitch totally killed me soon after that last screenshot, lol...
gungriffon-200108-061wgjh8.png
gungriffon-200108-061gvkts.png
gungriffon-200108-06253krw.png
princesscrown-200108-xyjxv.png
princesscrown-200108-4ik5l.png
princesscrown-200108-5ij9r.png

And some good ol' Street Fighter Alpha 3 cuz it's just too damn good. A different shader used here for a change, the crt-yo6-KV-M1420B-sharp.slangp I mentioned earlier. Zangief got my poor R. Mika, the bastard :(
streetfighterzero3-204bkax.png
streetfighterzero3-20dpjwp.png
streetfighterzero3-20f3jtx.png

Last edited:

Alexios

X-Men vs. Street Fighter
x-menvs.streetfighterh0k9i.png
x-menvs.streetfightersckbr.png
x-menvs.streetfighter4ak9b.png
x-menvs.streetfighteri4jrk.png
x-menvs.streetfighter9xk1b.png

Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter
marvelsuperheroesvs.ss9jui.png
marvelsuperheroesvs.s3mkuo.png
marvelsuperheroesvs.s0rj9w.png
marvelsuperheroesvs.s48k3u.png
marvelsuperheroesvs.swvjem.png
marvelsuperheroesvs.senj88.png

Nifty game but I think I dislike mech-gouki and his completely shit looks enough to sour the whole thing for me, haha. Nah, it's not cos he beat me after that Apocalypse fight :p

Last edited:

Alexios

Some stuff with the mame 2003 plus core and the crt-yo6-KV-M1420B-sharp shader preset, mattias didn't have good results. Garou - Mark of the Wolves, KoF '98, Metal Slug, Marvel Vs. Capcom, Samurai Shodown V Special, Samurai Shodown II, Sengoku 3. I kinda cba to set up mame, figure out newer cores and romsets. settings, dip switches, buttons, I'll probably keep very few games for this core and otherwise play console ports as long as they're not very handicapped, hence no Samurai Shodown IV or Fatal Fury Special or Street Fighter Alpha 3 which I play on a Saturn core as before.
garou-200110-052429bkjvd.png
kof98-200110-062048dukwr.png
kof98-200110-062758xbkel.png
mslug-200110-053404askdl.png
mvsc-200110-052840ubks0.png
samsh5sp-200110-0558543jcp.png
samsh5sp-200110-06000ypjjb.png
samsho2-200110-054950bgjpk.png
sengoku3-200110-060748zjo3.png

Last edited:

Alexios

Edit: on this version, at the time of writing, with integer scaling set to on the flycast core gets stretched to fullscreen/widescreen instead of properly scale, I dunno if it's RA's fault or the core needs updating.

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Setting up a complete Retroach setup on my PC has been on my to do list for years. Everytime i start to set it up I get lost at the shaders or something. I really need to do it.

Is there a resource of best cores + best shaders per system? It seems every time I find a walk though they recommend different cores.

Last edited:

Orenji Neko

Setting up a complete Retroach setup on my PC has been on my to do list for years. Everytime i start to set it up I get lost at the shaders or something. I really need to do it.

Is there a resource of best cores + best shaders per system? It seems every time I find a walk though they recommend different cores.

I'm far from an expert on what is truly or technically the best ones, and I only have so many I emulate (just the systems I own but keep in storage), but this is what has worked best for me and my backups:

Super Famicom: Higan core
Famicom: Mesen Core
Mega Drive: Genesis Plus GX (Blastem is supposed to be even better, but I need Mega CD which it doesn't have yet as the last time I checked.)
Playstation 1: Mednafen (Beetle PSX HW)
Saturn: Mednafen (Beetle Saturn)
PC-Engine: Mednafen (Beetle PCE)

With these cores, I haven't run into anything I own not working as I expect it to, especially in regards to Fam and Sfam games.
As for shaders, I think it's just preference though you can set them per core which is handy. CRT Royale, at least to me, looks remarkably close to the TV screen I remember from back in those days.

Just a side note, but in my opinion, I leave all Vysnc type stuff off, and let Freesync handle the job; the games will run at the correct framerate and look much better in motion to me. Just the SFAM from what I understand can fluctuate between 59-60-61hz and everything just looks and "feels" correct (especially input response) if you allow the Higan core to do that instead of forcing it to stick to 60. EDIT: You can do this with G-Sync too, forgot to mention.

Other than that, I have all kinds of wacko adapters and junk to hook up original controllers and even though I'm quite picky, everything does look, feel, and sound as it should when I'm playing, as if I dug one of those things outta storage and set it up.

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I'm far from an expert on what is truly or technically the best ones, and I only have so many I emulate (just the systems I own but keep in storage), but this is what has worked best for me and my backups:

Super Famicom: Higan core
Famicom: Mesen Core
Mega Drive: Genesis Plus GX (Blastem is supposed to be even better, but I need Mega CD which it doesn't have yet as the last time I checked.)
Playstation 1: Mednafen (Beetle PSX HW)
Saturn: Mednafen (Beetle Saturn)
PC-Engine: Mednafen (Beetle PCE)

With these cores, I haven't run into anything I own not working as I expect it to, especially in regards to Fam and Sfam games.
As for shaders, I think it's just preference though you can set them per core which is handy. CRT Royale, at least to me, looks remarkably close to the TV screen I remember from back in those days.

Just a side note, but in my opinion, I leave all Vysnc type stuff off, and let Freesync handle the job; the games will run at the correct framerate and look much better in motion to me. Just the SFAM from what I understand can fluctuate between 59-60-61hz and everything just looks and "feels" correct (especially input response) if you allow the Higan core to do that instead of forcing it to stick to 60. EDIT: You can do this with G-Sync too, forgot to mention.

Other than that, I have all kinds of wacko adapters and junk to hook up original controllers and even though I'm quite picky, everything does look, feel, and sound as it should when I'm playing, as if I dug one of those things outta storage and set it up.

Ya I just need to give it a go again and keep at it. Thanks for that. There is just so much to consider. You mentioned the frame rate issues. Do you use "run ahead" or whatever its called? I read this cuts frames of animation?

Orenji Neko

Ya I just need to give it a go again and keep at it. Thanks for that. There is just so much to consider. You mentioned the frame rate issues. Do you use "run ahead" or whatever its called? I read this cuts frames of animation?

I don’t personally use it, but Ive seen some info on it and from what I understand if you set it too many frames ahead it will skip ahead in frames to reduce time between your button press and the action.

I haven’t felt any lag or anything that I notice so I havent used it, but I know that if I turn vsync on, I do feel some delay.

Alexios

Hope that fixes integer scaling enabling stretched to fullscreen rendering with some cores (It also happens with Dolphin core on GameCube games for me, not just flycast after all, I guess you can force it to 4:3 per core override or whatever rather than rely on "core provided" aspect but still).

Last edited:

Alexios

Last edited:

TriSuit666

Banned
You may actually be legally retarded.

No need to insult him, at worse he's just ignorant of the specific issues around the Xbox One version of RA, which can be cleared up in a few minutes of as he says, 'googling' (which I'm sure, he's now availed himself of the opportunity to do so).

But again, there's no need for insults.

Last edited:

Alexios

No need to insult him, at worse he's just ignorant of the specific issues around the Xbox One version of RA, which can be cleared up in a few minutes of as he says, 'googling' (which I'm sure, he's now availed himself of the opportunity to do so).

But again, there's no need for insults.
What's ignorant about maintaining RetroArch is free software contrary to non-arguments against it based on this or that platform needing this or that additional non-RA related step to install anything outside official stores on it, exactly?

SO i assume you will be able to integrate ROMS into your game library more easily?
No idea if it does that or you just get RA in your library and launch from there as before.

Last edited:

TriSuit666

Banned
What's ignorant about maintaining RetroArch is free software contrary to non-arguments against it based on this or that platform needing this or that additional non-RA related step to install anything outside official stores on it, exactly?

I guess the same arguments that swirl around the Steam version judging from the comments in that Steam discussion thread.

I was actually agreeing with you, by the way, in that people tend to want emulation handed to them on a plate and having to jump through hoops (like having to purchase additional licenses, or modify machines outside of their normal scope) is a barrier.

Last edited:

Alexios

RA not being on other official stores is probably the requirements of the store not allowing it or making it too much work to bother or having to pay to be there or whatever similar.

I didn't read that thread, what do people say? Steam version will be free too afaik (and it's directly stated in that update announcement).

One thing I'm not sure about is that they say cores will be set up like (free) dlc, I think that's more cumbersome than having them downloaded from the RA menu. But I guess it's not a big deal, you'll only do it once and I guess updates will be pushed automatically.

But hey, non-Steam version is still going to be there if I prefer how it works in any way over the Steam one.

Last edited:

TriSuit666

Banned
RA not being on other official stores is probably the requirements of the store not allowing it or making it too much work to bother or having to pay to be there or whatever similar.

I didn't read that thread, what do people say? Steam version will be free too afaik (and it's directly stated in that update announcement).

One thing I'm not sure about is that they say cores will be set up like (free) dlc, I think that's more cumbersome than having them downloaded from the RA menu. But I guess it's not a big deal, you'll only do it once and I guess updates will be pushed automatically.

But hey, non-Steam version is still going to be there if I prefer how it works in any way over the Steam one.

It's a mix of congratulatory comments and others going 'whut? no <<insert_popular_core_name>> support out of the box?', or 'no Steamworks support? LAAAAME' and like you, 'why should I run this version over the standard one?'.

Yeah, OOTB the cores are being provided as free DLC, the reasoning is they want everything to be legally ok, and they're only supplying cores where the author has agreed to let them do it this way.

sol_bad

So I use the CRT Royale shader for my 8bit and 16bit games. For some reason the central vertical row of "pixels" is thinner than the rest of the CRT "pixels".
Does anyone else have this issue at all?

Last edited:

Alexios

So I use the CRT Royale shader for my 8bit and 16bit games. For some reason the central vertical row of "pixels" is thinner than the rest of the CRT "pixels".
Maybe your final rendering resolution? Some shaders are said to look best in 1440p or 4k or whatever. Or maybe for those you're supposed to use one of those 320 or 240 something royale variants?

Last edited:

nkarafo

Most shaders will look correct only if you have integer scale ON. Without it scanlines will look uneven most of the time. Some shaders hide this better than others. Guest Venom with Lottes mask is the best for 1080p, non-integer scale full screen IMO.

If you have a 1080p monitor, integer scale will add pretty big bars on top+bottom of the screen. Higher resolution screens will probably be better.

Last edited:
I cannot recommend a Vita+retro-arch, highly enough. Playing old school games on the move is just heaven.

Buy an OG Vita with the OLED screen.
Install Henkaku and retroarch
download everdrive
gaming bliss

chemspida

Banned
Some of these shaders are really cool but I'm generally not a fan of the curves. Anyway to get the same effect without them?

Alexios

After choosing the shader you want you go back to that same menu and select to save a global or core preset, not other save options.

Delete the game or other specific stuff in RetroArch\shaders\presets\ to reset those you've already done otherwise the game specific preset has priority. For multi-system cores like Dolphin (GameCube/Wii) you can save by Content Directory to keep them separate.

Same methodology for other settings stuff like remaps which is cool as you can have some general system settings then only switch around specific special case games with a separate preset (or as above have different presets for Wii and GameCube despite utilizing the same core for both).

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

I guess the same arguments that swirl around the Steam version judging from the comments in that Steam discussion thread.

I was actually agreeing with you, by the way, in that people tend to want emulation handed to them on a plate and having to jump through hoops (like having to purchase additional licenses, or modify machines outside of their normal scope) is a barrier.
I dont think that anyone who is serious about emulation wants it 'handed' to them. Although it would be nice..

I found it on pirate bay after reading Reddit posts. Just type in 'everdrive', it downloads quick enough. You then just drag and drop games on to your vita.
Ah, I misunderstood. Thought it was a homebrew program, I have not heard of...

And *cough* nosay illelegalal ROMomom-Talkalalk on here *cough* :messenger_grimmacing_

Ah, I misunderstood. Thought it was a homebrew program, I have not heard of...

And *cough* nosay illelegalal ROMomom-Talkalalk on here *cough* :messenger_grimmacing_

Is it illegal? Genuinely no idea.

But I'm a fan of artistic preservation. Some of these games are over 30 years old and are unavailable in any format. As is my view with streaming films; I'll pay whatever if you make it available, of you don't and you leave money on the table, don't expect me to give two shits for finding alternative sources.

Though, the music, games and movie industry doesn't get enough shit for the Piracy Panic of 2000's. Screams of "piracy will crash/ruin the industry" have translated in to the greediest bunch of cunts since Hollywood's inception. But I guess this will go down as "justifying illegal activity"

sol_bad

Most shaders will look correct only if you have integer scale ON. Without it scanlines will look uneven most of the time. Some shaders hide this better than others. Guest Venom with Lottes mask is the best for 1080p, non-integer scale full screen IMO.

If you have a 1080p monitor, integer scale will add pretty big bars on top+bottom of the screen. Higher resolution screens will probably be better.

Hmmm
I have a 4k TV and have Retroarchs res set at 4k too. I turned on integer scaling. Looks a bit better but still looks similar. Maybe I should try 1440p.

Is it illegal? Genuinely no idea.

But I'm a fan of artistic preservation. Some of these games are over 30 years old and are unavailable in any format. As is my view with streaming films; I'll pay whatever if you make it available, of you don't and you leave money on the table, don't expect me to give two shits for finding alternative sources.

Though, the music, games and movie industry doesn't get enough shit for the Piracy Panic of 2000's. Screams of "piracy will crash/ruin the industry" have translated in to the greediest bunch of cunts since Hollywood's inception. But I guess this will go down as "justifying illegal activity"
Thing is, I'm not in any way against your stance, cause it's mine too. But, if I remember correctly, the discussion of "non official" sources is not allowed here. If I tell bullshit, please somebody correct me!

Everdrives aren't illegal - they exist for plenty of real systems, and are a way of playing legally owned backups.
Read again. There is no Everdrive for PS Vita and when you put "Everdrive" as a search word on the bay of burly seamen, you will only get ROM-compendiums.

Enough derailing from my side. Fuck yeah for fucking Retroarch. In the beginning it was finnicky as shit, but these days I have an installation of it on almost anything with a screen in my household.

stranno

I would not run Overboard (Shipwreckers) at 30+FPS, like in that video. Some game mechanics are tied to framerate: Mostly fire rate (can be managed) and geysers height.

The faster you run the game the lower height you get using the geysers (for whatever reason), so one level (and i'd say even two levels) are unfinishable above 30-40FPS. You just dont get enough height to get through the wall mazes.

R7ocnST.gif

nkarafo

I hope this time they will stick with ParaLLel and improve it over time instead of abandoning it like they did shortly after it was originally released.

Top Bottom