• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retroarch on Series X and S |OT| Too many games

Hostile_18

Banned
well my native resolution is 4K and I got Sunshine running at a pretty high resolution (can't remember how high I went tho tbh) and the framerate remained stable

which reminds me: Hostile_18 Hostile_18
Mario Sunshine, Series X, 30fps 1080p (very possibly higher, pretty sure I went with 1440p or even higher, but I am not sure about it)
minor loading stutters after some (not all) level transitions and cutscenes

Added 👍

It's been ages since I've been this excited about a console. My PS5 is still my main console but as an emulation, first party and media machine what a brilliant companion device this is.

My spend on games between this and Gamepass is going to go down massively next year.

BlvckFox

Gold Member
Subbed! Nice thread! Really looking forward to digging into this with my X.
Willing to go though whatever process it takes to get crackn!

S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
Are there any core options?

Is there a GL/Vulkan option? Or just D3D? GL is the best for N64, then Vulkan i think.

Make sure you are using GlideN64 as the plugin.

If there is no improvement, try using the Parallel plugins, if they are available in the core options (you need both RDP and RSP).

I get no such glitches in Windows/PC version of RetroArch but i'm using GL as the backend.
I had some luck fixing the issue in part. I forget the name of the option something to do with GPU depth and it's the one that has the warning that it may not be supported on mobile GPUs.

Anyway, it turns out that that needs to be disabled to stop flickering textures in the likes of Goldeneye (any decals) Mario party 3 (shadows) and Mario 64 (shadows).

Unfortunately, Space Station silicon valley needs the feature enabled to display the collectables. This means that the stone path texture etc on levels have glitchy textures.

TLDR; I've managed to fix all games I've tried bar silicon valley.

There don't appear to be any core options for N64 other than Mupen Next and it won't run in any driver other than gl, and will even default to gl when set to dx11 or 12.

I'm hoping a core update in future might solve the issue but thanks for your help!

Banned
Another one:

The Last Story (wii), Series X (retail), minor stutters, missing textures on main characters.

the texture issue is apparently fixed on the PC version by disabling "EFB Copies to Texture Only" but this exact option is not in the retroarch build and similarly named options do nothing when disabled

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
Another one:

The Last Story (wii), Series X (retail), minor stutters, missing textures on main characters.

the texture issue is apparently fixed on the PC version by disabling "EFB Copies to Texture Only" but this exact option is not in the retroarch build and similarly named options do nothing when disabled

I'll add it. What res/fps?

Banned
I'll add it. What res/fps?

ran fine at up to ~1080p above it began to stutter

another one, MegaMan Legends 2, Series X, Retail, runs fine on any core it seems. on Beetle HW I tried to go above native resolution but everything above 2x will result in slowdown. 1x and 2x ran full speed tho.

Teslerum

ran fine at up to ~1080p above it began to stutter

another one, MegaMan Legends 2, Series X, Retail, runs fine on any core it seems. on Beetle HW I tried to go above native resolution but everything above 2x will result in slowdown. 1x and 2x ran full speed tho.

Is Duckstation an available core on XBOX? Usually faster than Beetle HW.

Last edited:

Banned
Is Duckstation an available core on XBOX? Usually faster than Beetle HW.

not sure. I tried Beetle HW because on my less powerful PC I can run MML2 at above 1440p full speed with a shitton of enhancements.
the cores in this version of retroarch seem to be not quite up to date maybe?

I'm not sure how to update them or if you'd update them if they would work on this version of retroarch

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Got this up and running on my Series X tonight. Got a bunch of stuff copied over FTP to the internal drive. Retro achievements work, which is great. A nifty feature!

MrFunSocks

Banned
I had some luck fixing the issue in part. I forget the name of the option something to do with GPU depth and it's the one that has the warning that it may not be supported on mobile GPUs.

Anyway, it turns out that that needs to be disabled to stop flickering textures in the likes of Goldeneye (any decals) Mario party 3 (shadows) and Mario 64 (shadows).

Unfortunately, Space Station silicon valley needs the feature enabled to display the collectables. This means that the stone path texture etc on levels have glitchy textures.

There don't appear to be any core options for N64 other than Mupen Next and it won't run in any driver other than gl, and will even default to gl when set to dx11 or 12.

I'm hoping a core update in future might solve the issue but thanks for your help!
You can do game specific core settings, so you could have that disabled for Goldeneye but enabled for Space Station Silicon Valley.

nkarafo

The latest version of Mupen64 plus next should have options to change the graphics plugin and RSP to Parallel. Though, this only works in Vulkan i think so i'm not sure if you got that option.

If those options exist they can fix the graphics in all games by default, it's the best and most accurate solution for N64 emulation right now. You can even upscale the graphics a bit, despite the plugin being LLE/pixel accurate. It requires a decent PC but the XBOX Series X should be powerful enough to handle that.

So try this: Set your driver to Vulkan and both RSP/Graphics to Parallel (if available). And then save a system override so only the N64 runs with Vulkan. Keep in mind, RetroArch is a bit finicky about driver changes so even if you change the driver it might ignore it. There must be an option somewhere that allows cores to auto-change the driver, that might work.

Good luck :)

Last edited:

Daffy Duck

How do I update from within the app? I tried to click the online updater but it didn't appear to work and I was still on the same version of the app as before. Hostile_18 Hostile_18 which updates do you mean to do in the OP?

Also how do you set the res to 4K? i've only tried megadrive stuff so far.

Last edited:

manzo

If I see anyone after this post playing 4:3 games in 16:9 stretched, I will come and violate sexually you, your bicycle, your cat and your mother.

Hostile_18

Banned
If I see anyone after this post playing 4:3 games in 16:9 stretched, I will come and violate sexually you, your bicycle, your cat and your mother.

I stretch, no regrets 😂

I'm having trouble connecting to send files. So I load up the ftp on xbox press start. Load Filezilla put the IP address in and I keep getting connection to server lost (xbox records the attempts as constantly connected/disconnected. What am I doing wrong? 🙈

S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
The latest version of Mupen64 plus next should have options to change the graphics plugin and RSP to Parallel. Though, this only works in Vulkan i think so i'm not sure if you got that option.

If those options exist they can fix the graphics in all games by default, it's the best and most accurate solution for N64 emulation right now. You can even upscale the graphics a bit, despite the plugin being LLE/pixel accurate. It requires a decent PC but the XBOX Series X should be powerful enough to handle that.

So try this: Set your driver to Vulkan and both RSP/Graphics to Parallel (if available). And then save a system override so only the N64 runs with Vulkan. Keep in mind, RetroArch is a bit finicky about driver changes so even if you change the driver it might ignore it. There must be an option somewhere that allows cores to auto-change the driver, that might work.

Good luck :)

I've not seen vulkan on series X but will have another check this evening. Thanks for the tips anyway, I can use them on my laptop!

Birdo

Banned
It's a long shot, but I wonder if Xbox Wheels (Logitech or Thrustmaster) work with arcade racers.

Hostile_18

Banned
How do I update from within the app? I tried to click the online updater but it didn't appear to work and I was still on the same version of the app as before. Hostile_18 Hostile_18 which updates do you mean to do in the OP?

Also how do you set the res to 4K? i've only tried megadrive stuff so far.

In both builds theres an online updater. I think someone earlier said the icons were tied to the DX 12 option(?).

To set the resolution you need to assign the quick menu and exit software to button prompts on the controller. Exit out when you've set the desired resolution. The retail version allows higher resolutions. For example Mario 64 on the dev build can go up to 1080p 60 fps while retail can go 4k 60fps.

Banned
PSA:

If GameCube, PS2 or any other system's games suddenly stop to work (black screen or crashes etc.), which happened to me multiple times by now! btw, in Retroarch go to Main Menu then to Configuration File and there click on Reset to Defaults.
after that close the app and restart it. it now should work again... it's a weird bug in the retail build I guess.

this means that some of your settings, including stuff like menu button shortcuts are reset btw! so be aware of that

Last edited:

MrMephistoX

So I’m stuck at this step and can’t seem to find a way to force the software update to Dev Mode activation...any ideas?

JvIQZU8.jpg

Rossco EZ

yeah i need a full on video of all steps for me to get this to work i think. im following steps of people on discord and on here etc and it just isnt working for me at all.

edit: nvm finally got it working, but anyway to change aspect ratio of games?

Last edited:

wvnative

Someone should make a guide or faq discussing best cores for each platform and best settings for each cores, stuff like that

lock2k

Banned
I don't understand. Was it available for people without dev mode for a while and now it's gone?

If I get one, I probably won't install it because I already have retroarch on PC and PI (and it cover the vast majority of my needs including PS2, GC, Wii, etc) - but it's neat as fuck to do it on a console. I have a bunch of emulators including mame on an original Xbox and it's pure joy to fire them up with friends.

Hostile_18

Banned
oh ok, do you know how to map buttons so i don’t have to close retroarch every time i exit a game?

It's in the controller inputs (from memory) on the main menu. I seem to recall mine closing down the whole app regardless. Havent looked in depth however to see if I'd just clicked the wrong option.

jaysius

Banned
I finally got Super Mario Galaxy running but it has some stutter with the video and audio every few minutes. I'm on the Series X, does anyone have any settings to fix this?

I'm only trying to run it in 1080p. The video posted above is running smother and nicer than what I'm getting. Does anyone know what settings that person is using?

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
Got this up and running on my Series X tonight. Got a bunch of stuff copied over FTP to the internal drive. Retro achievements work, which is great. A nifty feature!

Here's a tip I found, if FTP is PAINFULLY SLOW(it was for me) make the max number of simultaneous transfers "9" in your FTP Client(WinSCP) and that will speed it up dramatically.

Last edited:
Top Bottom