• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RETROARCH - The all-in-one emulator dreams are made of, son

madjackal

hey all, not sure if anyone can answer this but i'm having a hard time remapping some buttons in the mupen64plus core for retro arch. I have an 8bitdo n64 bluetooth controller and I can't seem to get the mupen core porperly configured, particularly with the C-buttons. I went into the core options menu and then tried to configure it from there but it doesn't seem like the core lets you map c-buttons to anything besides an analog stick? any help would be appreciated.

daninthemix

I've raised a Github issue but in case anyone here has ideas:

Retroarch now crashes immediately if I try and run with the Vulkan driver. This is on a GTX1080, W10 Anniversary.

It even does this on a vanilla download of the latest version.

Not sure what to try.

Jelle

No it doesn't mess with your files at all. Playlists basically have references to the original files.
We don't really like the higan way (enforcing folder layouts)

This is how my MSU folder layout looks
http://pastie.org/10968495#25

The only change I made from the roms when I got them is copied manifest.bml to romname.bml so they have at least separate entries on the history.
Can you or someone else explain how to set up ALttP with the MSU-1 soundtrack? I have all the files, but I couldn't find any clear instructions anywhere. I'm using the latest RetroArch with the bsnes Balanced core.

Having trouble getting a rom to load using the snes9x "core". "Failed to load content" is the error. What am I doing wrong? It loads fine in snes9x proper.

Jezan

I'm kinda confused as how retroarch PSX Beetle uses memory cards. Can someone explain? I tried to check the website but found nothing about this.
I downloaded a save for Mega Man X4 and I tried replacing the files in the save folder.

But what I got after some experimenting is that the emulator creates:
Mega Man X4.srm
Mega Man X4.1.mcr

The one ending in .srm is memory card one and .mcr is card 2. Or am I missing something?

Why did it create two different filenames?

When I deleted both files to experiment, I tried loading from Memory card one and there was my first save in slot 3, I never found out where that info is stored, I even loaded another game (maybe it was some RAM shenanigans) and with it was still there.

Jelle

Having trouble getting a rom to load using the snes9x "core". "Failed to load content" is the error. What am I doing wrong? It loads fine in snes9x proper.
What is the ROM file extension? Should be .sfc or .smc. Also, is it a properly dumped game? You can try checking it's MD5 hash value (I use HashCheck) and Googling that to see if it's listed as a 'good' ROM.

The one ending in .srm is memory card one and .mcr is card 2. Or am I missing something?

Why did it create two different filenames?

.srm is SRAM, a save game found on game cartridges with a battery.. Not sure what it does after a PSX gaming session. .mcr should be the memory card.

KainXVIII

Genesis Plus GX core with new OPN2 emulator
https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=56091
High accuracy Yamaha YM3438(OPN2) emulator.
The YM3438 is a CMOS variant of the YM2612 used in Sega MegaDrive(Genesis) and FM Towns.
Genesis Plus GX fork with this core integrated is available here: https://github.com/nukeykt/Genesis-Plus-GX

Features:
-Based on the YM3438 die shot reverse engineering and thus provides very high emulation accuracy.
-Cycle-accurate.
-Undocumented registers/features emulation.
-SSG-EG, CSM mode emulation.
-Compatible with the YM2612.

Samples
-Sonic the Hedgehog: https://youtu.be/ImmKy_-pJ8g
-Sega CD BIOS v1.10: https://youtu.be/s-8ASMbtojQ

What is the ROM file extension? Should be .sfc or .smc. Also, is it a properly dumped game? You can try checking it's MD5 hash value (I use HashCheck) and Googling that to see if it's listed as a 'good' ROM.

.srm is SRAM, a save game found on game cartridges with a battery.. Not sure what it does after a PSX gaming session. .mcr should be the memory card.

ah - it's "bin". I'll rename ans try, thanks.

What's the best Dreamcast emu to get on Retroarch atm btw? I think I forgot to ask about this last time :X

I use a combination of Demul or Nulldc depending on the game. Demul has pretty high system requirements but is about as accurate an emulator we have for Dreamcast right now.

Has something changed with the Saturn emulators lately or is this just on me? I used to at least be able to run the Saturn BIOS boot-up in Yabause smoothly, now it gives me half-speed and horrible stuttering/sound cracking. I don't think there's anything major I've changed in the configuration or anything.

Tizoc

I use a combination of Demul or Nulldc depending on the game. Demul has pretty high system requirements but is about as accurate an emulator we have for Dreamcast right now.

Hmm does Demul offer further graphics options like ePSXe or Mednafen, etc.?

I download Retroarch last friday, but since them I can't get it to download/update the cores, it says the task failed when downloading the index extended.

I googled a little and heard that was likely a server issue, but I don't think it would be down all those days XD

I did managed to download the cores through buildbot, but I'm wondering if there's anything in my setup wrong? (though it does update some other stuff if I chose to)
Asking this again because it's still happening, and because I found one workaround of someone is having a similar issue.

https://stellarupdater.github.io

This is an updater for retroarch. It can do a fresh install, install new cores, update them, the sharders etc. Pretty nifty. The bad is that even with a fresh install from it I can't download the cores from retroarch, but at least it's not an issue now.

Palom

Does anyone else have trouble with using analog-to-digital controller options?

I'm using the BSNES core (have tried both Accuracy and Balanced variants with the same results) with a Dualshock 4 controller. Using the left stick for movement, if I hold the stick in one direction, the character moves, but constantly stutters like it's letting go of the direction for a split second about once every second. If I use the d-pad for movement, it doesn't stutter at all and the character movement is smooth.

Knurek

Anyone has any idea why enabling X360 pad support in Steam would cause Retroarch to not engage frame limiting on a high refresh rate monitor?

If I toggle the thing off, Retroarch is locked to 60 fps with my desktop set to 144 Hz. If I toggle this on, suddenly Retroarch is running at 144 fps.

Awakened

Does anyone else have trouble with using analog-to-digital controller options?

I'm using the BSNES core (have tried both Accuracy and Balanced variants with the same results) with a Dualshock 4 controller. Using the left stick for movement, if I hold the stick in one direction, the character moves, but constantly stutters like it's letting go of the direction for a split second about once every second. If I use the d-pad for movement, it doesn't stutter at all and the character movement is smooth.
Not with my Xbox Elite controller. I beat Pocky and Rocky (damn that last level...) in the Balanced Mercury core the other night using Analog to Digital set to the left stick. It'll never be as precise and fast as the d-pad, but RetroArch's implementation of that has always felt really good to me with it's tight dead zone. I actually get some left stick drift on certain analog enabled games (ex. Sega Rally in the Mednafen core with default deadzone), but never had an issue with movement being triggered accidentally with analog to digital enabled.

Aeana

Hmm. I updated my nVidia drivers to the latest and suddenly, Retroarch thinks my monitor's refresh rate is 30Hz even though the control panel says 60Hz. That's with gsync off. If I turn on gsync, then it works but I get audio stuttering with gsync on. EDIT: Actually now it's 30Hz even with gsync on... what is going on

Well, for whatever reason, wiping out the retroarch config entirely fixed it. I do wonder what the cause was!

daninthemix

Hmm. I updated my nVidia drivers to the latest and suddenly, Retroarch thinks my monitor's refresh rate is 30Hz even though the control panel says 60Hz. That's with gsync off. If I turn on gsync, then it works but I get audio stuttering with gsync on. EDIT: Actually now it's 30Hz even with gsync on... what is going on

Well, for whatever reason, wiping out the retroarch config entirely fixed it. I do wonder what the cause was!

Curious if you can run Retroarch with the Vulkan driver?

If I try that it crashes, even with a fresh cfg and that's with a newer Nvidia driver.

Quick question. If I am in game and press f1 to go into the menu I can still see the game (becomes semi transparent) as well as my custom menu wallpaper in the background. Is there any way I can just see the wallpaper and not the game?

Just jumped on the retroarch train after giving it a try couple years back, it has come on leaps since then. Official goat emulator for snes & genesis atleast. Rewind feature is bloody amazing

It's there anyway i can track game stats like how long i have played a game? Really like how this emulator has progressed, add stats and integrate achievement in the ui to make it perfect.

Think their should be a basic & advanced mode though as it is overwhelming with options at first

Aeana

I'm cross-posting this here since it's probably more likely that someone who reads this thread can help

The code changes needed to the snes9x retroarch cores to get the Tengai Makyou Zero translation (releasing tomorrow morning!) running have been released. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get the cores to build correctly. If anybody knows someone who is able to build the cores for the SNES Mini compatible target (I believe it's armhf), the relevant info about which changes need to be made to the code is available here: http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=23162.msg345574#msg345574

This is a milestone translation project and it'd be a shame if people couldn't play it on SNES Classic. I believe the SNES Classic version of retroarch uses the snes9x2010 and snes9x cores.

Aeana

Well, currently no version of the snes9x core supports the fix, so we'd still need someone to apply the fix and build.

daninthemix

After installing the Fall Creator's update, I noticed Retroarch was using 100% of my GPU - turns out the Lottes NTSC shader does that with the GL driver. Switched to the Lottes Multipass shader and now all is fine.

Moral of the story - if you have performance issues, check your shaders.

Retroarch was idling at 100% GPU even without any content loaded after retroarch.glsp was pointing to Lottes...

3rdman

So I'm building a little project that should store a lot of titles for shits and giggles...I would like to pair all of the cores with bezels but I really don't like any that I've found online. All that I can find seem to be specific to a particular system when I really want generic bezels for all consoles.

Arcade titles are different matter as specialty consoles like Vectrex...

As an example of what I would prefer, the pic below is a good example...
snes-classic-edition-review-14592-800x533-c.jpg

Any suggestions on a bezel pack to download?

Radius4

Hey, happy new year!

Lost access to my GAF account (turns out neogaf's domain has an SPF record and they send pwd recovery mails from an address not in the SPF record) so my corporate antispam was blocking the mails.

Don't let this thread die :)

Shifty

Can't you load epsxe into it? Retroarch is just basically Plex for emulators, right?
The hooks go a bit deeper than that. Retroarch provides the stuff that's common to all emulators (UI, input mapping, graphics and sound config, etc.) but offloads the actual emulating to various 'core' plugins that are maintained by their respective emulator devs.
The ePSXe people would have to put in extra work to ship their own DLL if they wanted to make it compatible.

Ah retroarch...... idk but for ps1 i just find epsxe easier to use :p
For what it's worth, the Beetle PSX HW core in RetroArch is a lot nicer than ePSXe in some areas. I switched over in the middle of a recent Xenogears playthrough, and the 3D stabilization, perspective-correct texturing and higher internal resolution make it look like a native PC port.

Last edited:

Ozrimandias

Came here to say, PSVita TV + Retroarch is heaven, i mean, i think that this combination its problably the best retro console right now........if you can menage the problems, the playlist and the thumbnails make it abolutely perfect.

Is there a way to have games more easily accessible and in the front screen of Retroarch? I'm not sure where my games are going and every time I try and open Donkey Kong country I have to go through quite a few menus

Shifty

Is there a way to have games more easily accessible and in the front screen of Retroarch? I'm not sure where my games are going and every time I try and open Donkey Kong country I have to go through quite a few menus
The farthest-right tab in the XMB should have the option for you to scan folders to add to your library. That'll populate it using a console for each column.

It can be kind of finicky with detecting certain roms though- depends on whether the dump you've got lines up with a certain romset that retroarch uses as reference.

HyGogg

Banned
I never cared much for Retroarch, since I did most of my emulation on PC, but I recently build a Retropie set up and having a unified interface for everything is pretty compelling.

That said, it's still not very good for stuff newer than 16 bit, for vector stuff, for computers... But if you want all your 80s and early 90s consoles and handhelds in one place, it's pretty dope, and certainly better than MESS, its nearest equivalent. Except for Vectrex I guess.

And of course, a Pi isn't well suited to emulating newer stuff anyway, so this makes it a great fit. I have to say I have been an emu fiend for a long time but my collection has gotten really disorganized over the years and Retropie with a nice 8bitdo controller is really nice. It's been a fun project.

Last edited:
Top Bottom