• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[RetroGAF] My Dreamcast PSU is dead, so I want to do with a PC psu

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
For those who know Dreamcast (or even Saturn), it is a console that is not uncommon at PSU problems. And mine was one of those ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I search to find a fix even find a mod using a PICO PSU, and an adapter for the console's teeth-kinda things

The point is that this is just a PC PSU that uses the exact same connections, which are respectively:
3.3v - 5v - neutral - neutral - neutral - 12v

An additional connection is only the power button, which is just the green wire with a neutral (black wire), so there is not much of a secret.

In times of quarantine is super difficult to buy some stuff like this, so I decided to get an abandoned PC power source because why not?

In a PC source there is not much of a secret either, just use the references:
Orange wire - red wire - black wire - black wire - black wire - yellow wire
connector_atx_pinout.GIF

I put it on the console, it even turns on, but it doesn’t turn the cooler and only moved the disk cannon once. I turned off and on again, and the laser cannon doesn't move anymore. I thought the PSU has problems, so I took a multimeter and all measurements are ok.

My Dreamcastein monster look like this now:
5VoC87N.jpg

For those who know electronics, is there something I'm doing wrong or forgetting?

Ovek

7Member7
Should work fine, are you sure when the original PSU died it didn't take the console with it?

marquimvfs

Do not use the on/off button to turn on the psu standby. Keep the green and black wires together and use the button to cut the power from the mains outlet. Check with a multimeter if the 5V line drop beyond 4,5V and the 12V line drop beyond 11V whenever the power is turned on. The psu you show on your picture is a very old one, so I recommend that you add some load on the 5V line (a resistor, maybe) to raise the current on the 12V line.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Should work fine, are you sure when the original PSU died it didn't take the console with it?
Yes. Doesn't even turn the light on
is there a check that the disk tray is closed?
The plastic thing is there. I pressed to fake a disc reading, and at first the laser cannon moved. It doesn't do anymore
Do not use the on/off button to turn on the psu standby. Keep the green and black wires together and use the button to cut the power from the mains outlet.´
I did this to cut from the console - when I'm done, I'll do some finish to not look this ugly mess
Check with a multimeter if the 5V line drop beyond 4,5V and the 12V line drop beyond 11V whenever the power is turned on. The psu you show on your picture is a very old one, so I recommend that you add some load on the 5V line (a resistor, maybe) to raise the current on the 12V line.
The multimeter is showing that everything is fine, but I'm curious about putting a resistor... But I don't have one and those stores are closed, so I'm fucked
For a 4-time GIF champion, you sure are a dummy.
So you got my book?!
NIPyqP4.png

Top Bottom