• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro's next Donkey Kong should be a Third-Person Adventure-Shooter

diodox

Neo Member
A few weeks ago, in a spanish forum, we were discussing about "steps to save WiiU" and I put some crazy games ideas that Nintendo needs. http://www.elotrolado.net/hilo_que-desarrolladoras-deberia-comprar-nintendo_1977840_s50#wrap

One of them was a Nintendo Shooter. Something like Mario Kart or Smash Bros but 3D, with plataforms, jumps and crazy guns and shields. Nintendo really needs this game, something ala Golden Eye 64 but crazier, with local multiplayer up to 4 but also online multiplayer, vertical fighting levels, under water levels,

Give Mario his Sunshine´s water gun, Luigi his Vacuum Machine, Diddy Kong his Bannana Guns, Donkey shooting Barrels, Links with a boomerang or something, Kid Ikarus with an arrow, Yoshi shooting apples he eats, Samus´missiles, Kirby eating stuff or characters to shoot their weapons (cactus-spikes, etc...) Give them different kinds of jumps and shields according to their capacities. One botom to shoot, other to jump and other to shield. Crazy stuff to make every one smaller, to grow gigant, etc.. Get a TitanFall mode to call R.O.B. when reach some points as a destroyer machine along with some music like Star War´s Imperial March. Make game. Good online.

Oh my my my god!!! This would sell like candies in front of a school. Nintendo style. Must have, must buy... WiiU

Taking a character from a platforming series and giving him guns to start in a more action oriented game... what could go wro-

ShadowTheHedgehogWallpaper800.jpg

...oh.

reKon

Banned
People who are suggesting the OP is crazy haven't played DK64 multiplayer? Or are you suggesting the OP is crazy because it would make for a horrible game?

Azure J

If Nintendo wants to make a third person shooter, they should either do one with a brand new fiction or expand on what Sakurai started with Kid Icarus' ground stages. Those and maaaaaaybe Metroid are the only franchises that could work with a TPS spin without feeling forced like what's being detailed in the OP.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
My first reaction is, "What?! That's bananas!"

Than I remember Oddworld and then there's Garden Warfare.

I guess anything can work as long as it's done right and it's fun!

Edit: But in all seriousness, we don't need this.

That's actually a really good point. The Oddworld series went from 3 puzzle platformers to an FPS and pulled it off amazingly well. Hey, if it's pulled off well by a quality developer then a genre change can be just fine.

drspeedy

Please not ;) I want a new 3D JnR from Nintendo though that doesn't star Mario and his boring friends (DK, Yoshi or Kirby)

neat! Don't usually hear the Sonic argument about the Nintendo universe... does that mean we'll also get a bunch of creepy Mario furry pics?

diodox said:
A few weeks ago, in a spanish forum, we were discussing about "steps to save WiiU" and I put some crazy games ideas that Nintendo needs. http://www.elotrolado.net/hilo_que-d...77840_s50#wrap

One of them was a Nintendo Shooter. Something like Mario Kart or Smash Bros but 3D, with plataforms, jumps and crazy guns and shields. Nintendo really needs this game, something ala Golden Eye 64 but crazier, with local multiplayer up to 4 but also online multiplayer, vertical fighting levels, under water levels,

Give Mario his Sunshine´s water gun, Luigi his Vacuum Machine, Diddy Kong his Bannana Guns, Donkey shooting Barrels, Links with a boomerang or something, Kid Ikarus with an arrow, Yoshi shooting apples he eats, Samus´missiles, Kirby eating stuff or characters to shoot their weapons (cactus-spikes, etc...) Give them different kinds of jumps and shields according to their capacities. One botom to shoot, other to jump and other to shield. Crazy stuff to make every one smaller, to grow gigant, etc.. Get a TitanFall mode to call R.O.B. when reach some points as a destroyer machine along with some music like Star War´s Imperial March. Make game. Good online.

Oh my my my god!!! This would sell like candies in front of a school. Nintendo style. Must have, must buy... WiiU

Cool concept! Don't think FPS are gonna do well on U tho. Those fans are fairly sparse on the console, but it's an interesting take on the things that made Smash so successful.

Silky

Banned
It should be a Max Payne-like game starring Diddy Kong

inbaofzH3PSOl.JPG

iJfzrj4XmrZM.jpg

Just when you thought you had reached the deepest depths of horror, it suddenly got worse. How to turn off that small super guide inside your head that started to whisper that you should be glad … that now, if not before, your revenge was justifiable on any conceivable moral scale. That super guide proved, beyond any doubt, that I was bananas.

I wouldn't be against this, but honestly I think Retro should try something new after this. I don't think they should go back to Metroid either.

JimiNutz

Banned
I like the idea of an agile shooter. Like swinging around on vines shooting and rolling around to evade fire!
That part sounded cool.

Exotoro

People usually throw around the idea of Nintendo developing a shooter, and usually the ideas thrown out are a more multiplayer-centric Metroid, a "Mario Paint Ball, or a re-imaging of Star Fox akin to the multiplayer mode in Assault.

However, I think if Nintendo ever would like to seriously look into developing a Nintendo-style shooter, Donkey Kong would be the perfect character to use. He already has a precedent using guns in Donkey Kong 64, and being a primate, he's human enough to not seem totally bizarre wielding (cartoony) guns, but also a funny animal thus "filtering" the violence so kids aren't shooting other humans.

So, here's my idea...Retro did great with Returns and I assume Tropical Freeze (I've yet to get my hands on it...), but a lot of people weren't happy with them working on a fuckin' Donkey Kong platformer, instead wanting them to work on Metroid. Personally, I think Donkey Kong has probably one more game left with Retro, but wouldn't it be neat instead of simply putting out another solid platformer, they went in a different direction and gave both sides what they wanted? Combining the adventure shooter elements of Metroid Prime with the world of Donkey Kong. And get David Wise back to compose some atmospheric music for really nice looking levels.

Alright, so, the game would be a third-person shooter (I feel that a FPS wouldn't work right since Donkey Kong isn't a human, and thus it'd feel weird to see through his eyes when he moves in a different way from us humans which would make the aiming feel unnatural) where Donkey Kong fights Kremlins (yes, they'd be back!) through using different fruit guns, like his Coconut Gun, a fast-paced Grape Gun, and like a...Banana Sniper Rifle? Also bring back the Pineapple Bombs. It'd make use of the Gamepad, as you'd use the left stick to move DK around, while the right stick could aim the crosshair, as well as using the shoulder buttons to lock on. Unlike other FPS, DK would be very agile, so there'd be a big element of moving around and dodging the enemy, for example, DK would be able to do his trademark roll to dodge enemy fire, then quickly fire back. He'd also have "parkour" elements, like he could quickly jump around and climb up ledges, and also swing from vines while simultaneously firing his gun at foes, so there'd be a lot of running and jumping to make the gunplay more fun and fantasy.

The set-up of the game would borrow from the old 3D Platformers, basically Donkey Kong would explore giant hub worlds, completing various missions, opening up new pathways, and like in Metroid Prime, finding new routes as he obtains new abilities and weapons, so basically a new Donkey Kong 64 meets Metroid Prime. Keep the collecting simple...there'd be basic bananas, used to purchase ammo and such, and Golden Bananas which would be the "Stars". Maybe throw in some side-view levels on occasion where things become a more typical DKC-style level, to pay homage to the series. My idea for the plot would be King K. Rool has developed "K. Rool Land", a giant amusement park/zoo where he's captured all of DK's friends, and it's up to him to save them. Just because I think an amusement park would be a fun place to explore, I'm thinking the zoo element would allow you to have little "biomes" located in the park, like an Arctic Zone, for more varied and atmospheric locales.

Of course, in addition to a robust single-player mode, add a solid multiplayer mode (online hopefully, but if Nintendo can at the very least develop a solid couch multiplayer game, more power to them) where you get to play as the other Kongs and Kremlins, and can also ride around on Rambi as a mount while firing your gun at the other players.

It'd be pretty dongalicious.

i thought you were joking but you seem actually serious

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I like the idea, but I think they should take out the monkeys and jungle setting and replace it with Samus and a sci-fi setting, but then still call it Donkey Kong so that we still have the delicious rage tears.

Herne

Yeah, I think Retro needs to move onto another franchise. If not Metroid, Star Fox or something. In fact, yeah.. Star Fox please! Failing that, maybe a new IP....

Grizzo

Yeah well I don't think a FPS would fit the Donkey Kong universe all that well.

Remember Banjo-Tooie's FPS elements (a game that was not that different from Donkey Kong 64):

bkholiday04-191613_640w.jpg

Those were not that great, imo.

Top Bottom