• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

return of the Rat: the *NEW* official ESPN NFL 2005 xbox online league thread!

FrenchMovieTheme said:
give me a break dude. you want people to NOT complain about legit problems? that's ridiculous. this game is broken in a million ways and you want people to "stop crying about it"? what a fucking joke. you're just mad because madden is going to outshine espn hardcore, even though everyone leading up to it said "twice as good and half the price!" sorry VC, you just can't win this fight

First, the game isn't broken in a million ways.

Waaaaaaaah, QBs run all over me, but I can't control the middle linebacker wwwwwaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! Waaaaaah my DBs don't all play perfect on every play waaaaaaaahhhhhh!!!! Waaaaaaaahhhhhh, the ball is spot where my knee hit WAAAAAHHHHH I want extra yards I don't deserve WAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!

The only real legit bug is the oline not blocking stunts correctly, and the league problems so far. Second, I don't want to hear people cry after they say the league servers are running really slow, and then deciding to play anyway. They asked for it. And fuck Madden. Even if the online experience is better, the gameplay is still fucking trash. Not to mention online play has been smooth as butter besides leagues. But yeah, if they don't get leagues fixed soon it is for sure a disappointment.

Cry babies.

Ramirez

WTF man,how much is VC paying you CP? lmao

I'm sorry,but when DBs run away from WRs,run circles, & just all around play like dumbasses,its not realistic.I know they won't cover a WR perfect every play,but hell 1 play would be nice,lol!

First, the game isn't broken in a million ways.

Waaaaaaaah, QBs run all over me, but I can't control the middle linebacker wwwwwaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! Waaaaaah my DBs don't all play perfect on every play waaaaaaaahhhhhh!!!! Waaaaaaaahhhhhh, the ball is spot where my knee hit WAAAAAHHHHH I want extra yards I don't deserve WAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!

The only real legit bug is the oline not blocking stunts correctly, and the league problems so far. Second, I don't want to hear people cry after they say the league servers are running really slow, and then deciding to play anyway. They asked for it. And fuck Madden. Even if the online experience is better, the gameplay is still fucking trash. Not to mention online play has been smooth as butter besides leagues. But yeah, if they don't get leagues fixed soon it is for sure a disappointment.

Cry babies.

holy shit you are delusional! first off, the only legit bug is no oline blocking!? what the shit? how about the following:

1. no oline blocking (you listed)
2. DB's are retarded
3. shoddy ball spotting
4. your players are retarded when trying to recover a fumble. they just stare at it for the first couple seconds
5. ref blows the whistle sometimes while you are still standing up with the ball
6. clipping plays subtract yardage from the player who had the ball at the time of the clip
7. you can fair catch but still run the ball back at times
8. depth chart is a joke online
9. quarterback running is a joke, i don't care who you are defending with

there are more but that should do it. so yes, this game is broke as fuck. if you can't see that then you are fucking blind. you say it's our fault for playing when the league servers load slow. it's... our fault? wait, it's our fault for trying to use a feature that was sold with the game? wow, awesome. hey dudes, it's YOUR FAULT if you drive a car in the afternoon and someone hits you! you should have known it was going to happen with traffic being what it is!

Ramirez

roofles

I love how when you force a fumble and someone picks it up while standing the ref blows it dead,I got a Safety like this yesterday in my tourney game I believe.Terrible,it was in there last year too,VC YOU RAWK!

DMczaf

I remember I was playing Konex and he thought I was playing zone because my LB was just standing there while his RB ran by him, then I told him it was man-to-man and he was shocked haha

FrenchMovieTheme said:
holy shit you are delusional! first off, the only legit bug is no oline blocking!? what the shit? how about the following:

1. no oline blocking (you listed)

I agree.

2. DB's are retarded

DBs blow a few plays. I haven't had a major problem with it, however.

3. shoddy ball spotting

The spot is where the knee hits. Haven't had any problem in this area.

4. your players are retarded when trying to recover a fumble. they just stare at it for the first couple seconds

Haven't noticed this at all. Especially during the million special teams fumbles I've forced on Konex, well, really 3 in one game.

5. ref blows the whistle sometimes while you are still standing up with the ball

Haven't had this happen.

6. clipping plays subtract yardage from the player who had the ball at the time of the clip

Forgot about this one. Happened to me once while playing Matrix.

7. you can fair catch but still run the ball back at times

Haven't seen this one yet, and my superior D forces a lot of punts.

8. depth chart is a joke online

OH NOS I love palaying the depth chart!!!

9. quarterback running is a joke, i don't care who you are defending with

Like I said, haven't had a serious problem stopping this.

there are more but that should do it. so yes, this game is broke as fuck. if you can't see that then you are fucking blind.

I must be blind. Because the only problem that really annoys me is the iffy oline blocking sometimes.

you say it's our fault for playing when the league servers load slow. it's... our fault? wait, it's our fault for trying to use a feature that was sold with the game? wow, awesome. hey dudes, it's YOUR FAULT if you drive a car in the afternoon and someone hits you! you should have known it was going to happen with traffic being what it is!

If you knew you were going to get hit by another car... Then I wouldn't head out and then bitch about it later.

Ramirez said:
roofles

I love how when you force a fumble and someone picks it up while standing the ref blows it dead,I got a Safety like this yesterday in my tourney game I believe.Terrible,it was in there last year too,VC YOU RAWK!

That sucks. Haven't seen it yet.

DMczaf said:
I remember I was playing Konex and he thought I was playing zone because my LB was just standing there while his RB ran by him, then I told him it was man-to-man and he was shocked haha

Hahahahahaha

Ramirez

So just because you haven't experienced half the shit we have (which is amazing because most of it happens to me every game) then the game is fine?Please.

Ramirez said:
So just because you haven't experienced half the shit we have (which is amazing because most of it happens to me every game) then the game is fine?Please.

No, that's not my point at all. Everything I said I haven't seen... ISN'T BAD ENOUGH TO RUIN MY FUN WITH THE GAME. Really, oh no... Once in a while you can run on a fair catch? The depth chart isn't as nice as you'd like? Once in a while the ball might get blown dead when picked up from a fumble? This shit isn't going to ruin my enjoyment. I'd love for these things to be fixed... Can they patch things like that through XBL?

Anyway, You guys cry, I'll be playing.

TheDuce22

Banned
This is exactly why Espn football can never suceed. Madden player are used to all the bugs and AI exploits in their game. They know what to adjust for. Its alot more frustrating when you see the bugs and cant adjust for them because you havent played enough to know how, then proceed to get your asses beat by any and everyone. Most of the things you guys complain about are eaisly corrected if you know what your doing. Just keep in mind that sometimes you will have to take controll of a defender, pretend you are playing a game and not just picking plays and watching them happen. That would require you to actually play the game for what it is and quit bitching. IMO, it kicks the shit out of madden 2004 and i would imagine that madden 2005 is more of the same.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Fmt,go ahead and give YelloPeril the win against me.He beat me 33-30 in overtime *FUCKING FUMBLE* and the damn results never went through...THESE SERVERS SUCK MY ASS.

GG Guileless.

DMczaf

Matrix said:
Fmt,go ahead and give YelloPeril the win against me.He beat me 33-30 in overtime *FUCKING FUMBLE* and the damn results never went through...THESE SERVERS SUCK MY ASS.

GG Guileless.

What a surprise lol

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
HEHE thats the one texan player I havent followed,but they made him God in this game roofles

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I've never heard of him before. Too bad the game stats are lost in the ether because he had a career day.

Matrix

Yea we had some nice stats that game....geez I would have had some leaders on the board..stupid servers are going to ruin the league :(

Most of the things you guys complain about are eaisly corrected if you know what your doing. Just keep in mind that sometimes you will have to take controll of a defender, pretend you are playing a game and not just picking plays and watching them happen. That would require you to actually play the game for what it is and quit bitching. IMO, it kicks the shit out of madden 2004 and i would imagine that madden 2005 is more of the same.

wow, you guys truly are sheep. you CAN'T be this brain washed. how would you like me to "easily correct" my guys NOT picking up a fumble? how would you like me to "easily correct" my DB literally running in circles around the receiver he is covering? how would you like me to "easily correct" my offensive line WATCHING the DE run right past him to sack my qb? how would you like me to "easily correct" VC not uploading our league games?

espn is a good game, but it is a $20 game. it feels like a $20 game. feels like it is very unfinished and incredibly buggy. if you think it's better than madden 2004 that is your opinion, no one can argue with that.

but, like i said in the other thread, madden @ e3 already played better than this so imagine the final version of madden "is more of the same" ;)

If people aren't going to replay games... What is the point of doing a league? I can hop on at anytime I want and play a game where stats won't matter after it's over.

and it's not "crying", it's pointing out major flaws in the game. if a man came over to your house and ass raped you, would you just sit there and say "meh, no point in crying about it!". no, you wouldn't. well, sega is pretty much ass raping their customers with these flaws that were probably brought to their attention, but they decided they weren't "major" enough to warrant a fix.

well, i for one am not cool with companies cutting corners and bullshitting me about how things "will be different" (which is what VC said in many football friday interviews leading up to release) and then they are arguably WORSE than the year before.

so, enjoy living in wonderland where none of these flaws matter and you are having a grand time. no one is crying and not playing, we are playing and then complaining about this garbage. i see nothing wrong with that.

Matrix

Well our damn game went all the way to the end and he beat me fair and square,I dont see why he should have to replay me a again and take that chance of losing.Also I dont want to sit through a game where I let him beat me just for stats.

PS- whos to say it wont happen again with these shit servers.

Matrix

Ok,but what if we play through another whole game and it happens again..its f-ing stupid :\ I would be willing to play Guileless again,but I doubt he would want to since he won.I think it should be up to the winner or the person who was leading by a lot if they want to play again.

edit- Ehh I voted for play the games over,but I think this should only start for week 2 since some have already been 0-0 games.

Ramirez

Just keep in mind that sometimes you will have to take controll of a defender

Yea take control of them and go into the Matrix mode doing slow mo dives and shit while the WR gets an easy TD.

Keep in mind Deuce not everyone plays with a fuckin all 90 team,I noticed the Panthers play alot more smart than the Steelers,but thats bullshit man,maybe the Steelers aren't as athletic or as good as the Panthers D,but their all still pros,just because a team has low stats doesn't mean their DBs should be retards 95% of the time.

Matrix

Try playing D with the Texans..its hell on earth and I cant keep a lead for shit :( Year one the Texans had great D and this years Texans team is based on last years stats and we all know how wonderful Texans D was last year.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Fifty said:
You're a good sport :D I noted in the first half that our DBs were playing like all stars out there, when they usually have their heads up their asses. I wish this game was consistant!

the thing is, our DB's kicked ass on the outside the entire game.. they were intercepting almost anything thrown that way.. however, in the middle of the field our DB's became retards, giving huge bubbles to the recievers. If it were not for the middle of the field I would have had about 1/3rd of the offense I wound up with.

The thing that bugs me about this game the most is that it doest suck. Its really a very fun game to play.. but there are so many frustrating things that happen that make the game aggrivating and not fun. The first half of every game I am having a great time, by the end my head is ready to explode.

Note: as anyone will tell you, I dont like Madden much at all.. and am a huge VC supporter, but the little things are destroying this game online... it doesnt help that every asshole out there exploits all of them.

that's my point stooge. as a whole its a great game. but it's the little things that drag it down. all these little bugs and inconsistencies and "wtf's??!" add up and tear the game down, whether most people will admit that or not.

StoOgE

FrenchMovieTheme said:
that's my point stooge. as a whole its a great game. but it's the little things that drag it down. all these little bugs and inconsistencies and "wtf's??!" add up and tear the game down, whether most people will admit that or not.

thats exactly my point. If it were a shitty game like Fever or Gameday none of this would bother me. The game is a ton of fun, but I hate a really close defensive battle coming to an end because my DB decided to play ring around the fucking rosey instead of gaurding TO.

Another gripe: when your QB throws a pick he just stands there sometimes.. even when you are controlling him.. he goes into pout mode.. which really sucks because outside of your RB or FB he is your only real chance to catch the guy sprinting down the sideline... anf if you are in a 5 wide formation, just go ahead and put the points on the board.

StoOgE

Sorry for being a post whore, but other problems:

1) Depth chart: I have a good backup Strong Saftey who can play FS, and has in real life situations.. instead of moving him to the top of the FS depth chart, I have to sub him in every package in which a FS exists.. but then if something happens to Sharper (god forbid) he wont be there to be the SS anymore.

2) These servers sucking could have major ramifications to the season? What happens if Favre, Green or Driver get hurt in one of my games? My season SHOULD be pretty much over.. then at the end of the game, the servers have fallen offline, the game never happened (sure I might still lose the game) but then voaila Favre, Green, Driver, etc. is no longer out for the year.

ShadowRed

Banned
Cerebral Palsy said:
If people aren't going to replay games... What is the point of doing a league? I can hop on at anytime I want and play a game where stats won't matter after it's over.

Bing-fucking-o!!!!! What's the point of league if there are no stats? Why don't we just schedule times to play each other and report back to the board who won. It's the same as this no stat league that SEGA set up.

Matrix

The Tourneys in this game have been working far better than the leagues...stupid sega

Also how do you decline a trade? do you have to do it on xbox live?

hgplayer1

My main issue with ESPN right now is the online elements not working. the ball spotting, DB play, O line play, challenges, etc etc are all secondary to the fact that we cannot properly play in leagues. I bet you wouldnt hear as much complaining if the servers were worth a damn. maybe there would be the same amount of complaining but it would be mixed in with how much fun everyone was having.

I havent played Madden in like 3 or 4 years and I had no intention of doing so as long as ESPN/2k continued to evolve but Im tired of seeing the same things happen year after year. Im ready to try something new. if they had never given us online league play I might have actually been absolutely in love with 2k5 but they gave it to us without caring much about whether or not it would work properly and Im starting to think thats how they present the game to us. here it is, this is the best we could do, have fun, see you next year. how many forums and web sites are there where people openly discuss the issues they have with this game. hell they could look in their own forums and get enough info to at least get an understanding of how much people want this game to succeed. maybe they just dont have the budget and resources to invest in all the little things, its just a shame that theyve come this close and might not go any further.

Ramirez

Bah, so we still on for 9:00pm mst tonight DM? I'm okay if the game doesn't count the first time. Winning twice is twice the fun.

*Palsy wins by 3,servers don't record it*

CP:Man that was fuckin bullshit,that super human defense,I shouldn't have to play it again!!BTW VC PWNS J00!

>:p

before anyone else plays their week 1 game, i am seriously considering starting the league over. the reasons are as follows:

- so far about half the games have "been finished" but will have no stats.
- the trade logic has already fucked up. somehow, julius peppers and mushin muhammed have ended up on the new york giants... i don't know why or how.

i put a poll up on the team site. it would be pretty easy to just start over and turn trades off, but like all things its up to majority. i'm just worried that some people will be so fed up with segas bullshit that they may not want to join a new league even if we started a new one. so lets me know guys.

p.s. we would keep the same players/teams.

hgplayer1

Cerebral Palsy said:
So, you are giving up on football games this year?

hey Madden will be new to me. I guess I got a taste for what the gameplay will be like from playing NCAA this year but Im sure there are new things to find and if not then Ill say so but I sure as hell wont keep waiting on VC to speak up and tell us why things are so shitty. they simply dont care enough once the product is out and they dont seem to be trying to fix things from years past.

FrenchMovieTheme said:
before anyone else plays their week 1 game, i am seriously considering starting the league over. the reasons are as follows:

- the trade logic has already fucked up. somehow, julius peppers and mushin muhammed have ended up on the new york giants... i don't know why or how.

i put a poll up on the team site. it would be pretty easy to just start over and turn trades off, but like all things its up to majority. i'm just worried that some people will be so fed up with segas bullshit that they may not want to join a new league even if we started a new one. so lets me know guys.

I want to start start over, but... I don't have faith in everyone signing up as fast as they did last time.

hgplayer1

FrenchMovieTheme said:

Im all in favor for starting the league over to get trades turned off but I think some people wont come back. Im not even sure I would come back knowing that the servers are like they are.

dont listen to CP. madden is an awesome game, as is ESPN. the only difference is, this shit wont come up in madden. EVERY game has server problems, there is no doubt about that. the key is fixing them. sega hasn't done jack shit. EA gets down to business with their flagship titles. NCAA was running perfectly online after a week (still didn't excuse the shitty gameplay, but that's another issue). i guarantee madden will be smooth online, and the online leagues will be 32482734 times better than this.

troll all you want CP, but the bottom line is ESPN's ridiculous bugs, etc. have only INCREASED peoples desire to have madden. i guess in some ways segas plan worked (espn is selling well), but it has also helped EA out because there are a lot of dissatisfied customers in the sega camp.

new league is up, sans trading and random weather (no slowdown)

name: gaF VC
pw: john

Matrix

Restart the league FMT,the trade shit is stupid,weather causes lag in games and half the games are 0-0 ...stupid ughhhh :(

FrenchMovieTheme said:
new league is up, sans trading and random weather (no slowdown)

name: gaF VC
pw: john

05coach.jpg

I'd like to request for this picture to be used on the league homepage. It's getting great reviews all over the place.

"LOLLL that picture is Chilling." -Malleymal

Top Bottom