• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Return of the ugly red box: New PS3 GH titles

JaxJag said:
Wouldn't $24.99 make more sense than $29.99?

Last-gen the greatest hits collection retailed for $19.99, and most of the new releases went for $49.99.

This gen new releases retail for $59.99, so shouldn't the greatest hits only go up by $5, and not $10?

A $10 increase for full price games and a $10 increase for GH.

Dogenzaka

Banned
ghostmind said:
From the latest Walmart flyer:

Killzone 2
Resistance 2
inFAMOUS
LittleBigPlanet GOTY Edition
UFC Undisputed

Are all getting the GH treatment, complete with snazzy new red PS3 stripe at the top.

EDIT:
f3ckqs.jpg

Man some of the PS3's best games are now half price. That is so awesome. Now I think I can pick up Killzone 2.

Why the hell doesn't Microsoft make Halo ODST, Left 4 Dead 2 and Forza Greatest Hits? >:l cheap bastards.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I didn't buy inFamous because it just felt like Uncharted, but with "powers." However, buying used is cheaper and you don't have to deal with red.

Examples: Half and Amazon.

jepjepjep

JaxJag said:
Wouldn't $24.99 make more sense than $29.99?

Last-gen the greatest hits collection retailed for $19.99, and most of the new releases went for $49.99.

This gen new releases retail for $59.99, so shouldn't the greatest hits only go up by $5, and not $10?

In this economy, seems to me that $20 would make more sense for GH.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
hateradio said:
So the cases are actually silver/gray too? Sony really needs to have a talk w/those Platinum versions though.

Yep, no inlay art or anything of the sort. The only possible way for Platinum games to be even more cheaply-made is to remove the case out of the equation entirely. :lol

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
By now I'm convinced SCEE doesn't even give a fuck about Platinum sales, that's why the make it so ugly. They want to encourage people to buy the original next time.

It's the only explanation for something SO. GODDAMN. UGLY.

Killzone 2 will be mine. Well, when I get a PS3! I'm so glad it's cheap now.

When are the stores going to adjust their prices? It looks like they haven't yet.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
icarus-daedelus said:
What's not serious about it? It's a third person shooter (but the bullets are LIGHTNING!) and the city is pretty boring. You can do a few highly repetitive missions over and over, go on a collectathon for blast shards or dead drops, or get shot at by enemies from a mile away. There's less variety there than in a typical open world game.
Oh yeah man, you're right. Remember when we were playing Resident Evil 5 the other time and we were jumping up these huge skyscrapers and proceeded to do some cable surfing?

Maybe some of you need to play the goddamn game again. Do some stunts or something, just WOW

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Teetris said:
:lol :lol

Seriously man?

It's true. Being open world did nothing but hurt the game. The best parts BY FAR were the closed off platform sections like the sewers and Alden's Tower. All the open world did was allow you to complete the same 5 missions over and over again.

icarus-daedelus said:
What's not serious about it? It's a third person shooter (but the bullets are LIGHTNING!) and the city is pretty boring. You can do a few highly repetitive missions over and over, go on a collectathon for blast shards or dead drops, or get shot at by enemies from a mile away. There's less variety there than in a typical open world game.

InFamous better than: Crackdown + GTA 4 combined.

T-Matt

Dogenzaka said:
Man some of the PS3's best games are now half price. That is so awesome. Now I think I can pick up Killzone 2.

Why the hell doesn't Microsoft make Halo ODST, Left 4 Dead 2 and Forza Greatest Hits? >:l cheap bastards.
ODST and Forza are packed into the elite so you should be able to pick those up cheaply, shortly.

icarus-daedelus said:
According to your way of thinking Batman: AA was a 3rd person shooter as well. Come on now. :lol

In all seriousness though, I'd say inFAMOUS is an open-world action game with a couple of flaws (can get a bit repetitive, collecting shards were a pain), but also extremely fun (powers were really cool, blowing shit up is fun) and with a good story that leaves space for a great superhero series.

animlboogy said:
I heard bad things about Resistance 2 over the first, anyone care to elaborate?

the single player was a shameful mess and managed to be worse than the first in almost every way. It ranges from 'quite good' to 'utterly terrible' depending on the level...

Multiplayer and co-op are both fun, but the ugly visuals have not aged at all well...

I would advise caution!

cnizzle06

Banned
Jesus, I've been meaning to pick up LBP again. Not sure why I ever let it go. And might as well get KZ2 simply to drool over the visuals once more. So no specific date at this time?

ghostmind

I'm considering Resistance 2, though I do wonder if playing it will tarnish the fondness I have for the original. Maybe it is just better to wait for R3 and hope for the best.

I should probably get KZ2 and inFAMOUS, but for whatever reason I'm just not feeling the urge.

And I actually might like the bright red cases... I don't actually own one yet, but if it is anything like NSMBWii, then the red is a beacon of awesome adrift in a sea of blandness.

Cerberus

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/04/01/new-ps3-greatest-hits-titles-available-now/

* inFAMOUS (Sony Computer Entertainment)
* God of War Collection (Sony Computer Entertainment)
* Killzone 2 (Sony Computer Entertainment)
* LittleBigPlanet Game of the Year (Sony Computer Entertainment)
* Resistance 2 (Sony Computer Entertainment)
* Dead Space (Electronic Arts)
* Fight Night Round 4 (EA Sports)
* Resident Evil 5 (Capcom)
* Soulcalibur IV (NAMCO BANDAI Games)
* UFC 2009 Undisputed (THQ)

Cornbread78

animlboogy said:
Little Big Planet! Yes!

I heard bad things about Resistance 2 over the first, anyone care to elaborate?

Resistance 2 is really a fun game, and the co-opp mode is great for all skill level of players. (my 9y/o daughter loves to shoot the alien guys, LOL <so cute>)

The bad things you hear are all the changes they made from the first Resistance game. R1 was it's own very independant game and R2 was made to appeal toa broader base of fans (ah hem, CoD and Halo, ah hem) and it failed.

The game is definately worth the $30 though!

Nizz

God of War Collection already a greatest hit? Gonna have to try and pick that up plus Resistance 2 before those god awful red boxes start flooding stores...

Cornbread78

Tom Penny said:
Are any of those worth buying? Were is Heavenly Sword?

Hell yeah! The below four are all in my collection, and are all GREAT GAMES in their own way. If you own a PS3, these are pretty much must buy titles, especially Killzone2 and LBP.

* inFAMOUS (Sony Computer Entertainment)
* Killzone 2 (Sony Computer Entertainment)
* LittleBigPlanet Game of the Year (Sony Computer Entertainment)
* Resistance 2 (Sony Computer Entertainment)

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Dogenzaka said:

For the same reason that Uncharted 2, R&C A Crack in Time, and Demons' Souls aren't in this wave of Greatest Hits... Those games all came out less than half a year ago, dude.

Jon

Haha son of a bitch! I bought Killzone 2 last night from Walmart.com, for $30, thinking I had an awesome deal. I've been had!

Will pick up LBP though...awesome.

onken

I can honestly say as long is the price is right they can make it whatever hideous cover they like.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
What does it take to make the game achieve Greatest Hits?

Is it still possible for Valkyria Chronicles to reach Greatest Hits? :lol

ghostmind

Picked up Killzone 2, inFAMOUS and Resistance 2 today at Walmart (Canada) for $30 each - original cases. Wooo!

The revised Uncharted 2 case is hilarious - so many quotes and award stamps all over - looks like a friggin Nascar!

D.Lo

kinoki said:
Wh... at? Do games actually cost this much for real in the US?

Sure, I don't buy games directly at launch because I almost always have a backlog and I'm not too worried about spoilers. But usually after a few weeks I can get them for half the price, if I really can't live without the experience. Even though there hasn't been a pricedrop I could go out and buy Uncharted 2 today for €25 and I don't even consider that a "must buy" price-point.
Yeah thinking the same thing. Almost every single game can be bought for less then half price, new, within 3 months here in Australia.

Top Bottom