• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Returnal, some new gameplay and interview

GHG

Gold Member

79,99€ for the standard edition. 89,99€ for the digital deluxe edition.

And just like that I'm out until a sale or until it's a ps+ monthly.

No fucking way I'm paying that much for an indie rogue like game. Ridiculous pricing.

Reactions: MrS

GHG

Gold Member
so does this confirm house is a sony studio? at the beginning, the "PS studios" splash screen is displayed.

I think that splash screen shows whenever they own the IP regardless of who developed the game.

The same thing shows up when starting demon's souls and that was developed by bluepoint.

DJTHEGREY

Game looks pretty interesting! Can't wait to see how it turns out. Once I get a ps5 this was one of the games on my list to play..... However I'm shocked at the lack of enthusiasm for this sony exclusive... Usually anything sony is considered gold.

Bartski

Gold Member
Looks nice but not 80€ on day one nice. Looking forward to Metacritic summaries and some extended gameplay

GymWolf

Lookin good. I'm starting to wonder if they're even focusing on hitting 60fps or not. The more footage they show, the lower the framerate seems. The footage in the first half of the video looks like it doesn't even go past 30. Some of it hits 60 towards the latter half of the video, with massive drops. Hopefully it's because the game hasn't hit that optimization phase.

The name is still silly to me, I think of Urinal, and the price is quite high but maybe the game will deliver.
the graphic is kinda whatever, i think they are gonna aim for a 60 fps mode.

THEAP99

Banned
sadly i think this game is doomed. i think it's gonna be another days gone situation.

i mean why would i shill out 70 bucks for a game that isn't even a stable 60fps and doesn't even have a real story? Hopefully they optimize it better prior to launch or else i think it may be in trouble

Grinchy

Banned
I love Housemarque games, but I've never spent more than $15 or $20 on one. Resogun came free with my PS4 because of Plus...

It's asking a lot to drop a $70+tax purchase out of nowhere from them. The game looks very cool and I hope it's very successful for them, but I'll need some convincing before I drop that kind of cash on an arcade shooter, or really any games. That's the problem with the giant $70 price tag for every game idea they're trying to get away with.

Game looks so good. We need a State of Play that debuts a new environment or something fresh like the story aspect.

Fully customizable controls are a really good option for those worried about the adaptive trigger implementation.

Belmonte

Nice! I wish more devs did this kind of video, discussing and explaining their thoughts.

I'm intrigued by the idea of a 3D Contra since I played C: The Contra Adventure in the PSX days. How can a 3D run and gun work with the same intensity as an 2D run and gun? The back perspective is more immersive but the player loses a lot of space and projectile awareness. The closest is Vanquish. Returnal seems to be in its way to have an answer to that also.

Mr_Potato

Banned
Gameplay will be amazing given the dev but Sony are launching it to die with $70/€80 price tag.

I'll check it out in late 2021 when it's on a deep sale.

Do like me and just use a US PSN account. Takes 5 mn and every game is €60 like before.

Last edited:

drotahorror

sadly i think this game is doomed. i think it's gonna be another days gone situation.

i mean why would i shill out 70 bucks for a game that isn't even a stable 60fps and doesn't even have a real story? Hopefully they optimize it better prior to launch or else i think it may be in trouble

I haven't followed the game super close but you know for sure the game has no real story?

Also, we have no idea if the game will be stable 60fps at release. Resogun and Nex Machina were 60fps on PS4, Alienation wasn't. I would way rather pay full price for a game like this that looks like I'll be putting dozens of hours into than a Gears of War game for instance. Even a game like Uncharted, where I usually 1 and done it. $60 for Uncharted where I spend an awesome 20 hours on or Returnal where I may be putting in hours and hours well after I beat it. If I really had to only pick 1, it'd be Returnal.

I value fun factor over all other aspects of games though.

Nex Machina is one of my fav games from last gen so I am extremely excited for this release.
Nex Machina and Resogun are in my top 10 or 15 PS4 games.

Last edited:

TheDreadLord

Gold Member
Does not look very exciting. The colors, art style, combat... everything seems a bit off. I hope that the final product shows off to be much better than what was shown so far.

People who aren't sure about the gameplay loop and want to try out something similar should give Risk of Rain 2 a go. It's currently on sale on PSN for 10 bucks.

The price for Returnal is actually the biggest problem as many have already pointed out. Sure, you can get a lot out of a rogue like if you love them, but this isn't really for everyone. This would look a lot better at around 50 bucks. I'll buy it either way, most likely not day 1 unless they start showing us what a loop (and the gear/upgrades) is going to look like. It's going to be interesting to see how this will hold up against the big rogue likes we currently have.

Framerate looks rough, though. Hope this hits a solid 60 on release.

People better have their expectations in check. I think a lot of people are gonna be disappointed by how this turns out in terms of length, replayability and story. Love HMQ but feel they're writing cheques they can't cash at that price point.

It's a AAA rouge-like. Most of what you listed isn't really a consideration for the genre.

MrS

Banned
Why?

This is Housemarque upping their game, this isn’t another small PSN game, it’s a full retail release.

Give it a chance man.
Gonna be very interesting to see how much money Sony spend on advertising and what kind of coverage the game gets. Housemarque have been proven incapable of selling their games to the masses and I can't wait to see what level of help Sony give them. People ITT should watch The Name of the Game, a film about the dev and launch of Nex Machina (it's on Prime free rn). It provides insight in to how Housemarque work and answered a lot of questions I had about Nex being such a massive bomba that they'd abandon the genre that they're the best at.

Captain Toad Captain Toad It is at that price point. Who has ever put out a £70 roguelike before? Who has ever put a great story in a roguelike? I have no concerns about the gameplay whatsoever. It remains to be seen how AAA it is.

Last edited:

Boss Mog

images

maxresdefault.jpg

I can't unsee it.

I hope this game will be as important for me as Resogun was at the start of PS4 generation. It was my first PS4 Platinum and it took a long time to be overthrown from being my top PS4 game.
It might be too much to ask but I really hope so!

Gonna be very interesting to see how much money Sony spend on advertising and what kind of coverage the game gets. Housemarque have been proven incapable of selling their games to the masses and I can't wait to see what level of help Sony give them. People ITT should watch The Name of the Game, a film about the dev and launch of Nex Machina (it's on Prime free rn). It provides insight in to how Housemarque work and answered a lot of questions I had about Nex being such a massive bomba that they'd abandon the genre that they're the best at.

Captain Toad Captain Toad It is at that price point. Who has ever put out a £70 roguelike before? Who has ever put a great story in a roguelike? I have no concerns about the gameplay whatsoever. It remains to be seen how AAA it is.

I don't know what's going on with the marketing for this game either. If outlets aren't talking about it then you're not putting your game out there enough. For Housemarque's first AAA outing the effort so far is poor. Reminiscent of early Sony games sent out to die, like Puppeteer.

I still have hope they do the basics for it like a State of Play fully dedicated for it, and a GameInformer cover for the masses with something sprinkled in for IGN. A lot of influncers would also die for some sort of access to the team and devs so they can publish content as an "exclusive".

Basic stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrS

xrnzaaas

I really like Housemarque's games and I can ignore how Karen the main character looks, but this is gonna be DoA with a price like that, especially here in Europe where PS5 first party games are more expensive now. Gonna wait myself for a significant price cut.

Neolombax

The few newer gameplay vids I've seen of this game have completely changed my impressions of this game. I am way more interested in this now.

Esca

This game looks really freaking cool to me. Everything I've seen looks fun. I'll take a gamble and preorder it. Their games have never disappointed me

Unknown?

And just like that I'm out until a sale or until it's a ps+ monthly.

No fucking way I'm paying that much for an indie rogue like game. Ridiculous pricing.
Yeah, I too care about bloat over gameplay. Seeing only a few minutes of a game in one level also is enough to know everything about it.

How do you know it doesn't have a story or that this is current footage?

I love Housemarque games, but I've never spent more than $15 or $20 on one. Resogun came free with my PS4 because of Plus...

It's asking a lot to drop a $70+tax purchase out of nowhere from them. The game looks very cool and I hope it's very successful for them, but I'll need some convincing before I drop that kind of cash on an arcade shooter, or really any games. That's the problem with the giant $70 price tag for every game idea they're trying to get away with.
Comparing small bite-sized games to something completely different. Seems legit.

Maybe this is a silly question, but how come Switch ports which look like PS3/X360 games can be $60 without second thought, but this game which no one has even played yet is a huge problem at $70? Is it confirmed that there is no real story? The game is Rogue-like? I was under the impression that it was a AAA game with a solid budget behind it. Is it not?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I think people are sleeping on this game, Can't wait to play it

I was fucking skipping it. Nothing pulled my attention like this new gameplay. It looks like a mix of arcadey, fast paced shooter. Should give it a try, anyway there is no game to play now after finishing Astro's Playroom, Spiderman MM, AC Valhalla, Watch Dogs: Legion, Immortal Fenyx Rising. Need to check the store again or play that free shark game, Maneater.

Last edited:

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
This looks enjoyable but I wish it was a straight up AAA game from them instead of a rogue-like. I agree that the protagonist is some bizarre woke bullshit and doesn’t add anything to the game that having a moderately attractive woman wouldn’t have made better or more bearable. To me it feels like they’re checking that “diversity” checkbox for petulant virtue-signaling reasons. And yes, the $70 price experiment continues, interesting to see how this one sells.

Unknown?

This looks enjoyable but I wish it was a straight up AAA game from them instead of a rogue-like. I agree that the protagonist is some bizarre woke bullshit and doesn’t add anything to the game that having a moderately attractive woman wouldn’t have made better or more bearable. To me it feels like they’re checking that “diversity” checkbox for petulant virtue-signaling reasons. And yes, the $70 price experiment continues, interesting to see how this one sells.
Maybe they just wanted an average looking protagonist? If they're doing it for diversity, they suck at it. A white woman? Needs to be a black lesbian trans that's handicap.

I don't see why people are talking about the protagonist so much. She's older and not particularly attractive. But I'll take that over something like Control, where the main character looks like a dude in drag.

Jim Ryan is a complete moron if he thinks this is gonna fly at $70

Shame too, game is being sent to die. Looks great, but $70 should only be for AAA games.

Moogle11

Banned
Jim Ryan is a complete moron if he thinks this is gonna fly at $70

Shame too, game is being sent to die. Looks great, but $70 should only be for AAA games.
I agree in sentiment, but think it could sell ok since it’s coming so early in the generation when many PS5 owners will have finished the launch games they wanted to play and are starved for new games to play in their shiny new console.

I agree in sentiment, but think it could sell ok since it’s coming so early in the generation when many PS5 owners will have finished the launch games they wanted to play and are starved for new games to play in their shiny new console.

Maybe so. I think Jim Ryan may be thinking "Oh, it has a famous protagonist...therefore, people will think it's more of a cinematic AAA type game"

I guess the jury is out on that, but I am not expecting that at all.

drotahorror

Maybe so. I think Jim Ryan may be thinking "Oh, it has a famous protagonist...therefore, people will think it's more of a cinematic AAA type game"

I guess the jury is out on that, but I am not expecting that at all.
Who's the famous protagonist? I know she resembles someone but didn't think it was confirmed.

Top Bottom