• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Returnal Will Support Ray Tracing and 60 Frames Per Second at 4K Resolution

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Returnal is clearly making use of the PS5's unique capabilities. The hardware is being used to ensure smooth frame rates with ray tracing and 4K

PHDJ7GL7YVBCZP57FE2JZ5VR54.jpg

Returnal accordingly will support a frame rate of 60 frames per second while running at 4K with ray tracing enabled.
Spotted by Twitter user Heisenreborn, PlayStation Portugal's MODO PlayStation show revealed the details about the upcoming PlayStation 5-exclusive Returnal.

First 45 minutes:

Last edited:

sncvsrtoip

according to ElAnalistaDeBits dynamic 4k avarage around 1440p and no rt
edit: rt is implemented according to official info
Ethan Watson tech. director
By leveraging PS5’s ray-tracing hardware, we are able to deliver high-quality lighting in real time. Our global illumination system uniquely adapts to the randomized placement of the world, while neon-lit projectiles create that arcade, fever-dream feel our team is known for.

Last edited:

skit_data

Housemarque always deliver on tech! Resogun was one of the most impressive PS4 titles for a long time imo. And no doubt I would buy Returnal day 1 if I had a PS5.

Just noticed some details on the ”lovely” character design. Is it the lighting or does she have different colored eyes?
MlXUGdV.png
Yes, she has different colored eyes, i guess it might serve some kind of purpose in the plot. For some reason I know the name of it, its called Heterochromia Iridium.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
The word 4K is thrown around too loosely this gen.
Its no different than 720 meaning HD.

If its native then ok, specify that if you want.

Where is this coming from? I thought we all got off the native train long ago.

when you just say 4k you better mean native or ur a misleading bitch-tit
lol.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Its no different than 720 meaning HD.

If its native then ok, specify that if you want.

Where is this coming from? I thought we all got off the native train long ago.

lol.

If you're not hitting 3840 x 2160 90% of the time with DRS at minimum then its stupid to call it 4K. At the very least say "up to" in your wording. 4K when advertised should mean native 4K. I share this same opinion in regards to upscaling techniques like DLSS and checkerboard rendering.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
If you're not hitting 3840 x 2160 90% of the time with DRS at minimum then its stupid to call it 4K. At the very least say "up to" in your wording. 4K when advertised should mean native 4K. I share this same opinion in regards to upscaling techniques like DLSS and checkerboard rendering.
This is the same thing as the marketing of PBR shaders last gen when you had lame ambient GI lighting added to the rendering (which immediately breaks physical reality). But I get it. They have to have a new word each generation.

Three

What about VRS? If your game is rendering segments of a scene at low res what resolution is the game?

Resolution meaning just native res doesn't make sense anymore. DLSS for example from a low res can look better than native mid res.

Mister Wolf

What about VRS? If your game is rendering segments of a scene at low res what resolution is the game?

Resolution meaning just native res doesn't make sense anymore. DLSS for example from a low res can look better than native mid res.

Then its not 4K and would fall under the same category as "dynamic = variable resolution scaling". Makes plenty sense to me. Nowadays people are always trying to make something what its not and expect others to go along with it.

Last edited:

Aenima

Im Portuguese, i watch this portuguese videogame shows and i spend half of the time facepalming with the wrong information they say.

I never saw Modo Playstation as its a youtube channel, but from the subtitles in the screens, is not saying that the game is gona run at 4K/ 60fps with Raytracing on.

Elog

Given how good the audio is in terms of position I am willing to bet like many others that the RT cores are used for sound and not light. It does not look ray-traced on the light side to me.

However, saw the FPS graph through area after area and encounter after encounter. 100% solid line - not a single dip anywhere. Simply perfect for this type of game.

TonyK

If RT means some reflections in some metal surfaces I give a shit. RT implementation in consoles barely adds nothing to the overall presentation, and I think they add the feature, not to make the game to look better but to add the word "Ray tracing" in their PR talk and marketing bullshit.

saintjules

Maybe I’ve just never played a true 4k game - but does it really make that big of a difference?
I'm not sure if I have myself. Most games are either dynamic 4k or 1440p/1800p etc. I think they all look great in that regard.

Miles Morales / Spider-Man Remastered - with what Insomniac did in those updates, I'd be fine with anything reaching that level of fidelity and framerate.

Last edited:

Pedro Motta

Im Portuguese, i watch this portuguese videogame shows and i spend half of the time facepalming with the wrong information they say.

I never saw Modo Playstation as its a youtube channel, but from the subtitles in the screens, is not saying that the game is gona run at 4K/ 60fps with Raytracing on.
O nosso sofrimento.

assurdum

Banned
Yea, didn't people debunk this rumor yesterday?

Companies will definitely market 4k even though it's not true 4k. Oh well..
For real? Indeed to praise the achievement of raytracing in 4k DRS at 60 FPS on ps5 (if true) you are just interested to blame the companies to not specify 4k it's 4k DRS? Veteran of the industry my balls, with all respect.

Last edited:

Entroyp

Given how good the audio is in terms of position I am willing to bet like many others that the RT cores are used for sound and not light. It does not look ray-traced on the light side to me.

However, saw the FPS graph through area after area and encounter after encounter. 100% solid line - not a single dip anywhere. Simply perfect for this type of game.

That would’t make much sense given the PS5 has dedicated separate hardware for 3D audio (tempest). It’s possible though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom