• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Returnal Will Support Ray Tracing and 60 Frames Per Second at 4K Resolution

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Housemarque always deliver on tech! Resogun was one of the most impressive PS4 titles for a long time imo. And no doubt I would buy Returnal day 1 if I had a PS5.

Just noticed some details on the ”lovely” character design. Is it the lighting or does she have different colored eyes?
MlXUGdV.png
Looking kind of like Putin.

Game looks fun but I'm not sure what the hype is all about. Don't get me wrong, I love me some Resogun, I'm just not seeing it with this game. Interested in seeing what people think when it comes out.

[Sigma]

Why are ppl seeing 4K and assuming it means native is my question.

No where is it saying native 4K.

I dont think anyone is saying this expect ppl wanting to point this out, lol.
Yeah I agree. When I first saw this I didn't think it was native. People should by now understand that it's likely not now when it comes to these situations. I've been on the side that trying to get native 4k in this scenario is a bit unnecessary.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
For real? Indeed to praise the achievement of raytracing in 4k DRS at 60 FPS on ps5 (if true) you are just interested to blame the companies to not specify 4k it's 4k DRS? Veteran of the industry my balls, with all respect.
There are 3 guys on this website that continuously give me a hard time..and you are one of them.

DRS 4k isn't 4k. Why? Because it's rendering to lower resolution backbuffers which removes the bandwidth bottleneck to run at native 4k backbuffers - which console GPUs aren't powerful enough to handle. It is what it is.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
If you really so desperate I can buy one from here, while sending it it'll cost you like buying from a scalper. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:
Nah, I actually haven't been looking that hard. But, I did finally mess around with the PS5 at a buddy's house this past weekend. Oh lord did Spider-Man and Demon's Souls look eyegasmic (he too has the 900H). The controller felt amazing too.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Nah, I actually haven't been looking that hard. But, I did finally mess around with the PS5 at a buddy's house this past weekend. Oh lord did Spider-Man and Demon's Souls look eyegasmic (he too has the 900H). The controller felt amazing too.

Man, you'll be bloated by games when you get one! I have too much spare time due to schools are so light now and also partial lockdown. So games usually don't take that much time to finish, while AC Valhalla took me like 3 weeks (162 gameplay hours).

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
I watched a couple of previews today and the game just doesn't look appealing aesthetically to me which (for me) is always one of the most important aspects in a game to draw me in. Technically it's impressive and gameplay looks like something i might enjoy but damn those monochromatic environments just look plain boring and monotonous to me.
The nature of the game (which is to die again and again) will only accentuate that flaw even more for me.

Not that i could buy it anyway since i don't have a PS5 yet. :p

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Man, you'll be bloated by games when you get one! I have too much spare time due to schools are so light now and also partial lockdown. So games usually don't take that time to finish, while AC Valhalla took me like 3 weeks (162 gameplay hours).
Oh yeah, backlog is growing. But I am looking forward to diving in when I can finally score one.

I really, really want Retunal. Love all of Housemarque games. Even their worst game is better than most bangers.

Last edited:
S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
Interesting. Must be the least impressive implementation of ray tracing so far.

assurdum

Banned
There are 3 guys on this website that continuously give me a hard time..and you are one of them.

DRS 4k isn't 4k. Why? Because it's rendering to lower resolution backbuffers which removes the bandwidth bottleneck to run at native 4k backbuffers - which console GPUs aren't powerful enough to handle. It is what it is.
Seriously? Now you play the card of the provocation claimed "it is what it is" as I ever substained the contrary?
Benny Hill What GIF

That's a bizzarre behaviour for a veteran of the industry. The tone of your posts sometimes give me great doubt; they have nothing to envy to a normal troll in a forum. The funny thing, I never argued anything relative to 4k buffer capability, I just noticed how you don't care of any possible graphical achievement claimed in the op, and you choice to point out a quite obvious argument just to blame the developers about something.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Might just be me, but I never get upset when a game isn’t native 4K even if it’s advertised as 4K. The games look brilliant regardless.
Native is a waste of resources when they have such good reconstruction and scaling techniques now. And I used to be a "native purist" back in the day when I was a sole PC gamer. These techniques have convinced me.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
What's wrong with ElAnalistaDeBits?
He is just a passionate which barely knows how to spot tech aspects in a competent way. I give him the credit he has started to understand how to count the step to spot native resolution but it's happened just recently and still continue to not understand how to do a proper analysis.

AGRacing

Gold Member
RT what? Reflections ? Shadows ? Global Illumination ? Audio ? "RT" doesn't mean anything.
If RT means some reflections in some metal surfaces I give a shit. RT implementation in consoles barely adds nothing to the overall presentation, and I think they add the feature, not to make the game to look better but to add the word "Ray tracing" in their PR talk and marketing bullshit.
Exactly.

MonarchJT

Banned
Yes... very from what I watched... particles effects is something crazy.
Maybe the Dark theme didn't catch your eyes.

Which game looks better on consoles?
lolcreally? tlou2 on ps4 (ps4pro) look lots better
....ds on ps5, rachet

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
It looks better than Demon's Soul on PS5.
Let's not talk about the old TLOU2 that was looker for PS4.

Racket was not launched yet.
well we saw gameplay of rachet as we saw gameplay of returnal...cmon etho it is a good and interesting game ..i would play it but is not that graphically intensive. is just an good aa. But don't worry is a ps game it will have very high mc

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned

Dynamic 4K
60 FPS
Ray-Tracing is used for Global Illumination
Interesting, how can the game use GI when there is no way of determining GI bounces unless the direct light source moves (i.e. dynamic time of day)? I'd love to buy this game just to crack open it's rendering features but it just doesn't look worth $70 at all.

Last edited:

ANIMAL1975

Yea, didn't people debunk this rumor yesterday?

Companies will definitely market 4k even though it's not true 4k. Oh well..

Insert Aaron Greenberg 1080p tweet here...
Deceptive marketing is deceptive, news at 11.

It'll output to a 4K TV. Good enough for the marketing folks and enough to not get sued over.

If you're not hitting 3840 x 2160 90% of the time with DRS at minimum then its stupid to call it 4K. At the very least say "up to" in your wording. 4K when advertised should mean native 4K. I share this same opinion in regards to upscaling techniques like DLSS and checkerboard rendering.

This is the same thing as the marketing of PBR shaders last gen when you had lame ambient GI lighting added to the rendering (which immediately breaks physical reality). But I get it. They have to have a new word each generation.
Lol why are you guys making fool of yourselves? A random on the internet saying 4k RT, and you gather up in arms against evil Sony acting like it's their marketing:
Im Portuguese, i watch this portuguese videogame shows and i spend half of the time facepalming with the wrong information they say.

I never saw Modo Playstation as its a youtube channel, but from the subtitles in the screens, is not saying that the game is gona run at 4K/ 60fps with Raytracing on

Dynamic 4K
60 FPS
Ray-Tracing is used for Global Illumination

Kangx

lolcreally? tlou2 on ps4 (ps4pro) look lots better
....ds on ps5, rachet

well we saw gameplay of rachet as we saw gameplay of returnal...cmon etho it isna good and interesting game ..i would play it but is not that graphically intensive. is just an good aa. But don't worry is a ps game it will have very high mc
You are delusional. In one paragraph, you manage to demonstrate how juvenile your argument are. You said its good and interesting, and then you go on and said it will get high mc score because it is a playstation game? Not because it is actually good? Hello, Destruction Allstars. As the graphic, iam not sure it is the best out there, but one of the best. Yes it really is. The detail texture on selene suit, the texture work on the environment, The particle effect, fluid simulation while running at 60 fps 4k dynamic with ray trace lighting. According a dev on Reddit this game is running around mostly 1800p and 1900p, and rarely drop to 1440p via twitter . I am willing to bet the DF will sing praise to this game when their technical analysis drop.

F* it. I'm going to buy the game JUST to investigate the graphics and write an analysis on it.
Apparently the game is really good. And few people are liking the game specifically for the graphics. They like the gameplay. At the end of the day it's just an Unreal Engine Game. It might be the most impressive UE game yet (notably with use of lighting RT), but I think we are far from Demon's souls overall quality.

By the way I don't see why there should be a dynamic time of day as you constantly (and quickly) die and respawn at the same place (and time).

Top Bottom