• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Returnal wins Best Game at the BAFTA Game Awards

tmlDan

Nice, now sell the game with a nice discount so I can finally buy it.

Mr Bean Waiting GIF by MOODMAN
How about you support the dev and just buy it.

JTCx

How did everyone miss Ratchet and Clank A Rift Apart winning Best Fur....uh...I mean.... the Technical Achievement Award?

Cbs Reaction GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden
Pixar 5 does it again.

kungfuian

Housemarque is a great addition to the PlayStation family and any awards they get are well deserved!

To be honest, when this first came out I was pretty down on it. The roguelike design and lack of progression between runs had me licking my wounds and I gave up and turned it in to good ol Gamestop. I'll admit it, I'm not particularly good at this type of game and really hate rogue-like randomization bullshit (even well executed versions).

Thankfully some months later Housemarque saw it in their hearts to add resume play and, combined with the power of the cloud, I picked Returnal back up and was able to savescum my way through a more linear version of the experience. If you are on the fence because you think the game is too hard I'm here to say there is no shame in playing the game this way (ok maybe a little). It might not be what the developers intended but I don't give a shit, I loved every minute of my time with Returnal and do not regret using the save state 'accessibility feature' to enjoy a game I otherwise would never have been able to make it though.

Stripped of the roguelike crap effectively turns the game into a kick-ass modern take on Metroid that's well worth your time no matter your skill level.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

Legit thought the DICE Awards were like Swedish or something.
lol nah

The D.I.C.E. Awards (formerly the Interactive Achievement Awards) is an award show in the video game industry started in 1998 and commonly referred to in the industry as the "video games Oscar".[1][2][3] The awards are arranged by the Academy of Interactive Arts & Sciences(AIAS) and held during the AIAS' annual D.I.C.E. Summit in Las Vegas. "D.I.C.E." is a backronymfor "Design Innovate Communicate Entertain". The D.I.C.E. Awards recognize games, individuals, and development teams that have contributed to the advancement of the multi-billion dollar worldwide entertainment software industry.

Last edited:

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Housemarque has always been a very strong AA Developer, I remember playing a few of their games even as far back as PS3. They're output has ramped up in quality quite substantially since then and they deserve all their success. That Co-op addition to Returnal was a really smart surprise and player focused. Congrats!

tommib

Hope this get's a vinyl release. Skipped Vol.1 cause none of the good tracks were on it.
Me too. I’m waiting for my vinyl pre-order of Vol 1. Although I’ll be honest Vol.2 just doesn’t work as well a narrative album. It’s more scattered and inconsistent. The original album works as real album and not just as a collection of videogame tracks.

Last edited:
How about you support the dev and just buy it.

Definitely don’t buy it at $89.99 in Canada which comes to $103 with tax. Due to the extra $10 Sony charges now for no other reason other than greed.

Definitely wait for a sale. Good call.

Last edited:

FrankWza

Regardless. No game should be $79.99 and $91 with tax at launch.

No thanks Sony. I don’t agree with your $10 increase. And when a game like that wins GOTY it just lets Sony know they can charge even more for their games.

Of course the game itself sold poorly so that sucks too.
Definitely don’t buy it at $89.99 in Canada which comes to $103 with tax. Due to the extra $10 Sony charges now for no other reason other than greed.

I’m in Canada. So $89.99 actually my bad. $103 with tax. And it doesn’t matter the point is $10 more than base price.
Listen Up Reaction GIF by Laff

1 - There is no "base price."
2 - By default, $ used by itself means USD.
3 - Canada isn't even a real place. Just pay with syrup.

$59.99 USD and $79.99 CAN are base prices for games. In case you didn’t know.

Or you are a corporate apologist who thinks games should cost whatever money and price increases actually go to people making the games and not CEOs and stockholders.

Embarrassing.

ethomaz

Banned
It wasn’t at launch. I love how everyone keeps purposely dodging the issue I am obviously bringing up in regards to Sony greed.

It’s on sale. Blah blah. Whatever. Their price increase was not needed.
What issue exactly?
I’m fine with the price… game development increased exponentially but the price was the same as 20 years ago.

I paid $70 in GT7 just a month ago and it is one of the best gaming experience I had in years… just can’t stop to play it every day to the point I just forget the others games I was playing.

Last edited:

vivftp

$59.99 USD and $79.99 CAN are base prices for games. In case you didn’t know.

Or you are a corporate apologist who thinks games should cost whatever money and price increases actually go to people making the games and not CEOs and stockholders.

Embarrassing.

Did you whine this much 15 years ago when prices went from 49 USD to 59 USD? I decree you to be the corporate apologist for accepting the ghastly price of $59.99! Sickens me to me stomach, you should be ashamed and everyone you know should shun you for accepting $59.99 when video games should be no more than $49.99!!!!11one!

Oh wait, I'm sure you're able to give us a full breakdown of the economics of video game creation and how much these games cost to make and market, right? I mean you KNOW it's all about Sonys greed, right? That must mean you've got it all figured out. C'mon genius, share with the rest of the class why don't you.

S0ULZB0URNE

No thanks. Sony had no need to increase game prices. Only shitty companies like Take Two and Activision did that.

Great company to keep Sony. Welcome to the club.
I remember when Hellblade won the award and people made fun of it, because now Bafta gives video game awards, and is meaningless because what they know about video games. Now, the tables have turned and Bafta VGA is appreciated.
That 🧂 and no it didn't

I’m in Canada. So $89.99 actually my bad. $103 with tax. And it doesn’t matter the point is $10 more than base price.

It wasn’t at launch. I love how everyone keeps purposely dodging the issue I am obviously bringing up in regards to Sony greed.

It’s on sale. Blah blah. Whatever. Their price increase was not needed.

Regardless. No game should be $79.99 and $91 with tax at launch.

No thanks Sony. I don’t agree with your $10 increase. And when a game like that wins GOTY it just lets Sony know they can charge even more for their games.

Of course the game itself sold poorly so that sucks too.
Gordon Freeman Gordon Freeman
Wrong thread for your Sony bitching.

S0ULZB0URNE

Did you whine this much 15 years ago when prices went from 49 USD to 59 USD? I decree you to be the corporate apologist for accepting the ghastly price of $59.99! Sickens me to me stomach, you should be ashamed and everyone you know should shun you for accepting $59.99 when video games should be no more than $49.99!!!!11one!

Oh wait, I'm sure you're able to give us a full breakdown of the economics of video game creation and how much these games cost to make and market, right? I mean you KNOW it's all about Sonys greed, right? That must mean you've got it all figured out. C'mon genius, share with the rest of the class why don't you.
Heck I hope he wasn't around in the 90's when games were $70+ USD.

vivftp

Heck I hope he wasn't around in the 90's when games were $70+ USD.

Indeed. But of course our friend here is Canadian, just like me. So let's see what us Canadians were paying back in the 90's shall we?

Ggxyr6v.jpg

$94.99 CAD for a SNES copy of Doom! Let's see, that released in 1995 so if we adjust for inflation that means in today's money it cost about $160.00 for that single copy of Doom.

But fuck greedy Sony, right? :rolleyes:

S0ULZB0URNE

Indeed. But of course our friend here is Canadian, just like me. So let's see what us Canadians were paying back in the 90's shall we?

Ggxyr6v.jpg

$94.99 CAD for a SNES copy of Doom! Let's see, that released in 1995 so if we adjust for inflation that means in today's money it cost about $160.00 for that single copy of Doom.

Wow that looks even worse!

Varteras

Gold Member

Ggxyr6v.jpg

I find it even more greedy that Nintendo still charges $60 for their games even after 5 years on the market. At least Sony titles are usually $20 by then.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
The game glitched and disabled the DualSense features... Damn... Shooting feels so weird without it. It's crazy.

tommib

All the nominees:

Hitman 3 by IO Interactive (DK)
It Takes Two by Hazelight (SE)
Returnal by Housemarque (FI)
Sunlight by Krillbite (NO)
Valheim by Iron Gate Studio (SE)

Last edited:

skit_data

All the nominees:

Hitman 3 by IO Interactive (DK)
It Takes Two by Hazelight (SE)
Returnal by Housemarque (FI)
Sunlight by Krillbite (NO)
Valheim by Iron Gate Studio (SE)

Didn’t they already win several awards? Among them ”Best Nordic Game”?

Edit: nvm, mistook nominated as winner:

Last edited:
Top Bottom