• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Returning to your favorite game of all time.

Mine personally is Morrowind. I was just thinking about if I started a new run today, could I still remember all the little tricks, techniques, locations for items, people to visit?

Without the internet? I haven’t played a Morrowind run for over 10 years, so I’m probably pretty rusty.

What is your favorite game? Could you still pick it up like you never left? How long has it been since you made a run?

I know Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory like the back of my hand.
I replay it at least once a year.
It also makes me sad every time I do because it highlights how little the industry has progressed since 2005.
I love the splinter cell games. I own them all., but haven’t played them all. Peak splinter cell for me was Pandora Tomorrow multiplayer, specifically cinema. It was just as good as any multiplayer game I’ve played, ever.

I should probably give chaos theory a shot.

Last edited:
I used to replay FF 12 zodiac age once a year; but when they released it on switch I played A LOOOT of it over and over again and ruined my tradition... Just installed it on PS5 but I can't do it... tried everything countless times already.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
For me, it's a tie between DOOM and Zelda ALTTP.

Did a run of DOOM not long ago, and also played some mods. Zelda on the SNES tho... It's been a while since I played it but yeah, I'm pretty sure I still remember most of it.

SSfox

Haven't play MGS1 in a while tbh, played it at least 100 times overall, tho honestly i try to avoid recently specially when there are new games releasing, cause it's just gonna make everything else and every other game look like a joke.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I used to play so much Morrowind when I was 12-14. In 2-3 hours, I could be level 40, super rich, best gear.
I remember the buyer was in Caldera.... you had to rob vivec treasury, pick up strength and agility gauntlets and sword on the north. haha.

My favs that I return to most often are probably Half-Life 2. It never gets old. It's better each time

DelireMan7

Dark Souls. Each time I come back to it, the magic is still there. Perfection.
I know this game by heart.

Last time I played was 2 years ago. I consider doing another run for the next "Return to Lordran".

Similar topic, I played a lot of Warcraft 3 as a teen. Then I played a bit last year and I was shocked how I still had good muscle memory. My hands were playing alone and I was "What the hell is happening, I still remember BO and small tricks".

Tg89

Diablo II/Counter Strike - still play regularly
WoW (Vanilla) - Played classic, will revisit again when there's another fresh
DKC2 - I boot this up and beat it on the regular, my relaxation game
Banjo Kazooie - Play through this every couple years, most recently when it came to NSO
Metroid Prime - Play this one less often just cause it's not as easily accessible on modern platforms - if that remaster ever happens I'll play this a lot more

I always have a playthrough of the original Deus Ex going at any given time, and I play through it at least two or three times a year. I've owned the game in some form or another since it first released over 20 years ago, and I have never uninstalled from any PC I've had during that time. I could probably beat it in my sleep at this point.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Morrowind is among my favorites. Even with mods, it's hard to get into now though. That being said I still remember specific item locations and hidden things.

HItman Blood Money is up there too. Still have good memory of item locations, and methods to get around the easiest. Haven't played it since Hitman 2016.

I also frequently play the original Battlefront 2 both on PC and Series X.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

I'm doing regular playthroughs of my favorite games from time to time. Final Fantasy 7, Resident Evil and Bloodborne are among some of the games I played through just recently (about 3-6 months ago). Love diving back to the favorites, gives you a warm fuzzy feeling inside.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Is it alright to ask questions when I get stuck? Playing through it right now for my first time. Think just past the plant boss (playing PS4 version on PS5). These ribbon typewriter save limits are whooping me.
I think it's fine to ask questions if you've completely hit a dead end.

Not sure what you're stuck on but check the fireplace in the room where you fought the plant. I'm assuming you're playing the original and not the remake. Can't remember if that item is in the same spot in both versions.

Last edited:

HYDE

Banned
I think it's fine to ask questions if you've completely hit a dead end.

Not sure what you're stuck on but check the fireplace in the room where you fought the plant. I'm assuming you're playing the original and not the remake. Can't remember if that item is in the same spot in both versions.
Keep going outside on a balcony and getting my ass handed to me by a couple zombie dogs. I can’t get inside to find healing items without a zombie human munching my butt.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
All day every day.
TTOKPlh.jpg

fart town usa

Gold Member
Keep going outside on a balcony and getting my ass handed to me by a couple zombie dogs. I can’t get inside to find healing items without a zombie human munching my butt.
It sounds like you're playing the remake? Yea, the dogs are a pain in that game, they go down easy in the original.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Havent done it in a few years, but Heroes of M&M Complete Edition. Random map mode (only in Complete Edition, unless you want to some reason buy the base game and the expansion pack that had it). First time I played it was over 20 years ago.

An excellent game where most of the factions are balanced (a few duds like Inferno and Fortress). For you gamers who never played it but enjoy old ass turn based strategy gaming, you can buy the Complete Edition on deal for about $3.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Havent done it in a few years, but Heroes of M&M Complete Edition. Random map mode (only in Complete Edition, unless you want to some reason buy the base game and the expansion pack that had it). First time I played it was over 20 years ago.

An excellent game where most of the factions are balanced (a few duds like Inferno and Fortress). For you gamers who never played it but enjoy old ass turn based strategy gaming, you can buy the Complete Edition on deal for about $3.
You mean HoM&M 3, right? I got it a few days ago, will be hosting a small LAN party in a few days for some friends.

Haven't played for about 12 years, but man, the moment that OST started blasting everything came back like it was yesterday. This game won't ever age... it plays, looks and sounds as great as ever.

It also works great on modern systems right out of the box (the GOG edition at least) but I still recommend using the HD mod.

Last edited:

Humdinger

Mine personally is Morrowind. I was just thinking about if I started a new run today, could I still remember all the little tricks, techniques, locations for items, people to visit?

Without the internet? I haven’t played a Morrowind run for over 10 years, so I’m probably pretty rusty.

What is your favorite game? Could you still pick it up like you never left? How long has it been since you made a run?

Funny you mention that. My favorite game of all time is Morrowind. I played it in 2001, on the original Xbox. A few years ago, I bought an Xbox X, in part because I wanted to play the remastered version of it. I tried.

I just couldn't get into it. Something had changed. It wasn't the game. It was me, and it was the decades of gaming experience I had since 2001. When I played it originally, I was new to gaming, and Morrowind was the first RPG I ever played. It blew me away. It expanded my vision of what a gaming experience could be. I found it incredibly immersive.

But when I played it again recently, I had none of those reactions. I had a feeling of nostalgia, but I had no patience for everything else -- the anemic combat (swish, swish), the way quests were tracked in the journal, the awkward movement animations, the barren landscapes, the cliffracers, and how long everything seemed to take.

I guess I've been spoiled by the improvements in the WRPG genre, and by my experience with RPGs over the past couple of decades. Also, I think I hoped to recapture the "magic" of playing it for the first time, but I couldn't. That experience was very much a product of me in 2001.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
You mean HoM&M 3, right? I got it a few days ago, will be hosting a small LAN party in a few days for some friends.

Haven't played for about 12 years, but man, the moment that OST started blasting everything came back like it was yesterday. This game won't ever age... it plays, looks and sounds as great as ever.

It also works great on modern systems right out of the box (the GOG edition at least) but I still recommend using the HD mod.
Yup. Ya, I missed putting the 3 in my post. My fav factions were Dungeon (double dose of Medusa and Beholders were deadly) and Stronghold. Stronghold is among the best to use assuming you can hurry up and get lucky with crystals leveling up to Behemoth fast. But if there's no crystals around, you're toast. The faction with elves is solid too. Never liked the Conflux faction. It seemed out of place and a little OP.

This game and even older Wayne Gretzky Hockey 2 are my fav PC games of all time.

Top Bottom