• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Returning to your favorite game of all time.

Shifty1897

I replayed the DS port a lot... it blew my mind I was able to do that for some reason
That DS port was awesome, for some reason I thought I was the only person who loved it.

As for favorite games, probably Chrono Trigger and Witcher 3. It's been years since I've done a run in either, probably 2016 for both. A Witcher 3 run will start in 10 days 😈. Maybe I'll take PTO and play Chrono Trigger on my birthday next year, that sounds like a good day.

small_law

I wouldn't say it's my favorite game of all time, but once a year I play Symphony of the Night all the way through, both castles. There was a Steam sale of the GBA and DS games last month and I'm picking my way through those now.

SotN is still the best expression of that type of game I've ever played. Super Metroid was a masterpiece, but the little details and weird stuff in SotN make it more enjoyable to play.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Playing Gravity Rush.

It does not matter that time passes, I love everything related to it.

I love her very very very much.

NhxojNz.jpg

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Not really a tradition, but Dark Souls 1-3. I love Bloodborne and then I got the Platinum. I really wish we had a remaster I’d replay it until I got the Platinum again. I have replayed them a couple times since I got married. I hope to keep that tradition. Classic PS1 JRPGs are something I like to do once or twice a year. Replay a classic from that console generation.

I use to keep a list, but not anymore. Someday I’ll start that list again. I did get Dark Souls 3 and it’ll be the 3rd platform I’ve purchased it for. I’m the same way with Resident Evil 1, 2, and 4. I was getting there with 7/Village until I realize it was every other year. I’ll play my Japanese PS2 and Saturn once a year too.

My wife thinks my favorite game is Chrono Trigger, which I’ve played through 3 times in my life. It’s awesome, but I don’t think it’s a tradition to play it every year.

GenericUser

Final Fantasy 7. Being playing it almost yearly since 1998 and I still think it's as great now as it always was. I own it on Playstation 1, 3/vita and 4 plus Xbox and switch.
FF7 is my goat as well. Do you use the turbo functions and other "enhancements" of the new ports or do you play the OG way?
I'm thinking about replaying it over the holiday break and I'm torn between the PS4 version and an emulated PS1 version.

Played Tie Fighter properly with a joystick for the first time recently (always played with mouse back in the day). Extremely easy to pick up and play, the controls are so intuitive and art direction, story, cutscenes etc are still top notch imo. Looks great too with the HD/60fps patch!

Cyborg

My favorite game of all time is Metal Gear Solid! I think I finished the game more than 200x when I was young. But gaming/gameplay has evolved (for the good) since MGS launched and whenever I go back to play I just can't cause its just lacking on so many levels.

Trumpets

Started my fifth playthrough of Shenmue 2 recently.

I wondered if the disappointing third game would dull my enjoyment of it now, but happily it's as good as it ever was, and the remaster makes a 20+ year old game look amazing.

Hugare

Playing Gravity Rush.

It does not matter that time passes, I love everything related to it.

I love her very very very much.

NhxojNz.jpg

Dude, your love for this character crossed the weird line thousands of posts ago

I imagine your room full of Gravit Rush merchandise everywhere

But its also wholesome and harmless, I guess. So godspeed.

My favorite game would be a split between Curse of Monkey Island and Chrono Cross

I only do yearly runs of COMI, tho. Chrono Cross is way too long for this kind of thing.

I usually replay it each 2-3 years. Always amazing, timeless.

I've just played earlier in the year Chrono Cross for the 20th~ time I think. I love it as much as I did when I played it first. It's timeless. There's no other game where credits roll that I'm on the verge of tearing up.

Last edited:

Regginator

Ocarina of Time (N64).

It's still a legendary industry-changing game that feels and plays great, but the camera can be a little iffy for this day and age. It didn't have a right analogue stick for camera aims, so you'd have to use the Z-targeting to get into certain positions. Didn't and doesn't always work. First-person aiming with your bow is and always was kinda shit, too.

Now, the 3DS-remake is the way to play. It doesn't do everything better, for example some art direction and scenery changes are questionable, and I'm still salty it's only on handheld, but in terms of gameplay and control it's a much-needed update to the N64-original.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Ocarina of Time (N64).

It's still a legendary industry-changing game that feels and plays great, but the camera can be a little iffy for this day and age. It didn't have a right analogue stick for camera aims, so you'd have to use the Z-targeting to get into certain positions. Didn't and doesn't always work. First-person aiming with your bow is and always was kinda shit, too.

Now, the 3DS-remake is the way to play. It doesn't do everything better, for example some art direction and scenery changes are questionable, and I'm still salty it's only on handheld, but in terms of gameplay and control it's a much-needed update to the N64-original.
I replayed it this year and was surprised at how dynamic the camera feels when Z-targeting. It's shit sometimes, but most of the time it felt way less static than those in FROM games, for example.

I know Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory like the back of my hand.
I replay it at least once a year.
It also makes me sad every time I do because it highlights how little the industry has progressed since 2005.
Controversial opinion, but Chaos Theory wasn't engaging to me from a narrative or setting point of view. I recall playing it until the ship mission and uninstalled. Now Double Agent on the other hand was something fresh and original, it added engaging characters and an actual storyline that had me involved, despite the fact that most of it takes place during the day.

Topher

Gold Member
It is very easy to fire up Starcraft take on a bunch of other armies in a free-for-all match. One of the things I love about the game.

Last edited:

stn

Mine personally is Morrowind. I was just thinking about if I started a new run today, could I still remember all the little tricks, techniques, locations for items, people to visit?

Without the internet? I haven’t played a Morrowind run for over 10 years, so I’m probably pretty rusty.

What is your favorite game? Could you still pick it up like you never left? How long has it been since you made a run?
My favorite is also probably Morrowind (or Ninja Gaiden Black). I play them both every year. Never gets boring.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
Lifeforce / Salamander.

One day I'll make it to the third stage, mark my words.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Mine personally is Morrowind. I was just thinking about if I started a new run today, could I still remember all the little tricks, techniques, locations for items, people to visit?

Without the internet? I haven’t played a Morrowind run for over 10 years, so I’m probably pretty rusty.

What is your favorite game? Could you still pick it up like you never left? How long has it been since you made a run?
My wife does this more often than me (given her skillset's a bit higher than mine). Luigi's Mansion OG on GameCube would have to be my favorite. Last year I went through a rough time with work (better now) and that's what these comfort games are for. I popped Luigi's Mansion in and just took my time with it. Interestingly, you mention Morrowind and does bring me back to the same gen. Without a doubt a great one to return to.

brian0057

Banned
Controversial opinion, but Chaos Theory wasn't engaging to me from a narrative or setting point of view. I recall playing it until the ship mission and uninstalled. Now Double Agent on the other hand was something fresh and original, it added engaging characters and an actual storyline that had me involved, despite the fact that most of it takes place during the day.
Not controversial at all.
Chaos Theory (and the series in general) isn't famous for having a Shakespearean narrative. It's the superb gameplay and level design that makes it one of the best stealth games ever made.
As for Double Agent, I completely agree. It has the best story in the series and it's my second favorite entry.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I have a few games that are, for lack of a better term, comfort food. Games that I can happily jump back into at any time and just appreciate.

Resident Evil 2/3/4
Symphony of the Night
Dark Souls

Top Bottom