• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Reuters] CD Projekt Red publishes Q1 results - expected net profit down by 64.7%

Biff

lDDgkqR.jpg

Where have I seen that chart before?... Oh right!

yQ8yict.jpg

MS had exclusive marketing rights for Cyberpunk and was desperate for a game to boost the launch sales of Series X/S after the delay of Halo Infinite . They turned a blind eye to this abomination at the expense of their consumers to serve their own interest. A surprise to absolutely no one .
Lmao. Like MS had anything to do with the release date.

MS had to release a custom Cyberpunk 2077 Xbox One X in before the game was out, because of the delay.

And no one needed any games to boost sales. Consoles were sold out without any games to support them. They're still sold out

DeaDPo0L84

I will always hold a special place in my heart for CDPR cause they gave me the Witcher 3 which is my favorite game of all time.

I feel both bad for them and also pissed off cause this was supposed to be the next big thing and instead its a big thing for a whole different reason. I know they'll eventually fix it and recoup their money through the Witcher enhanced edition but fuck every person at the top that forced this to come out when it clearly wasn't ready.

I even had the benefit of playing it on a brand new PC with a rtx 3090 and while I didn't have the issues most did on consoles there were still enough problems to sour the experience. Damn shame cause there is an amazing game buried deep underneath all the bullshit.

anthony2690

Banned
MS had exclusive marketing rights for Cyberpunk and was desperate for a game to boost the launch sales of Series X/S after the delay of Halo Infinite . They turned a blind eye to this abomination at the expense of their consumers to serve their own interest. A surprise to absolutely no one .
Let's not make stuff up.
To fan some silly console war narrative.
Especially as it doesn't even have a series s/x version.
Even worse when the road map has apparently been updated and the next gen version isn't even coming to H2 2022 now apparently, what sucks.

vkbest

Sony lost 30% of millions of copies sold on the store. I guess someone made the calculation in regards of cost of customer support + potential demands, though I dont think it equates the lost income.

The most people didn’t ask a refund. So probably a big portion from those 14 million sales is from first month on Playstation

Flabagast

Those Operating Costs skyrocketed from this time last year. Especially the Selling Costs segment of that. Going through the powerpoint and I'm still not sure what exactly these are. Can anyone clarify?

EDIT: Looks like that is tied to salaries, rent, advertisements, and the like. So probably a ton of marketing on Cyberpunk.
No it s just 101 accounting norm.

before the release nearly all dev cost directly incurred to the game are capitalized (basically they are investment and do not show in the P&L before net profit, as they cannot be related to any income). After they are operating costs (you are working on something already available to sell) + amortization of the investment (ie salaries paid during the dev)

Since an abnormal part of the team is still working on the base game (nearly 50% FTEs) these costs seem a lot higher, hence the lower net profit. Devs working on expansions and future projects (witcher4) however do not appear on these specific costs.

It is just a matter of corporate finance where you do not put the figures at the same place depending on the product cycle, but if you look at it from another lense (ie salaries paid) there is no surge in total costs. It is just that before the launch, they appeared after the net profit, and so were not visible in the P&L.

recursive

They should put all resources to fix the PS version and kiss Sony's feet and beg them to put it back on PSN store that's the only thing that could save them
No way. They are bffs with Phil. Witcher 4 exclusive to Xbox in 6 years will save the company.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Good, obviously i hope the game gets better, and i hope that none of the devs are laid off, but i hope this serves as a hard fucking lesson to them and the entire industry about releasing undercooked games, especially when you promise the moon and fail to deliver spectacularly

Umbasaborne

Banned
I will always hold a special place in my heart for CDPR cause they gave me the Witcher 3 which is my favorite game of all time.

I feel both bad for them and also pissed off cause this was supposed to be the next big thing and instead its a big thing for a whole different reason. I know they'll eventually fix it and recoup their money through the Witcher enhanced edition but fuck every person at the top that forced this to come out when it clearly wasn't ready.

I even had the benefit of playing it on a brand new PC with a rtx 3090 and while I didn't have the issues most did on consoles there were still enough problems to sour the experience. Damn shame cause there is an amazing game buried deep underneath all the bullshit.
Well said, i want to love cyberpunk, especially since i consider the witcher 3 to be one of my favorite games of all time, but fuck, they dropped the ball. Its missing so many basic features that its laughable

mcjmetroid

Couldn't happen to a nicer company.

I hope lessons were learnt here. CD tried to play the games( no pun intended) that the bigger companies play and realised it's not as easy as they thought it would be..

Shmunter

They do still have the next gen bump in the back pocket. It does however need to be flawless. Generate excitement and good PR.

Promise me incredible revolutionary game ideas any day you want as long as you deliver on said promises and I'll purchase your product(s) until the cows come home.

So I'll drink to this news. The tribe has spoken. Fuck CDPR and Cyberpunk.

MS needs to get in an buy this company up.. right now.

Because they will focus on the next gen console experience with The Witcher 4, and they wont make the same mistake they did with CP2077.

And when people see the first trailer of The Witcher 4... they will absolutely forget all this shit ever happened and the game will sell boatloads.

MS should get in there and get them now.. and make TW4 PC and Xbox exclusive.

Mozzarella

Sales not looking good, Devs leaving the company. Time to make a move CDPR.

Why do people keep saying "Witcher 4"? There is no Witcher 4. All that they said is there will be another game set in the Witcher universe but Geralt story and the trilogy itself is done.

Last edited:

Madflavor

Results of typical short term corporate thinking. Money now, deal with the consequences later.

Well grats on your little fucking stunt there CDPR. You sold an fuckload of units during launch, but completely lost the faith and trust of the gaming community, and the game has horrible legs. Good job.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
It's not surprising sadly. They made the ultimate mistake. They rushed out a game before it was ready. It is VERY hard to come back from that. Only a handful of games have ever survived it let alone thrived after it. No Man's Sky is the only game I have ever seen release in a complete and utter shit state and rise from the ashes to be a top tier game.

I wish them luck because I love their work on Witcher, but they fucked up here. If this damage is what it takes for them to pull their heads out of their bank accounts then so be it. I just hope they don't sink or get bought out because of it.

Last edited:

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
Hopefully this gets the message across to publishers they should not release unfinished and unpolished games. CPR is also at fault for taking 8 years and this is the shit they came up with. Maybe buy the ps5 version if it's fully optimized. Will wait for reviews first.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
I thought CD projekt die hard fans says the game is good, still sells really well and CD projekt earns alot of profit with CP2077....

It's not surprising sadly. They made the ultimate mistake. They rushed out a game before it was ready. It is VERY hard to come back from that. Only a handful of games have ever survived it let alone thrived after it. No Man's Sky is the only game I have ever seen release in a complete and utter shit state and rise from the ashes to be a top tier game.

I wish them luck because I love their work on Witcher, but they fucked up here. If this damage is what it takes for them to pull their heads out of their bank accounts then so be it. I just hope they don't sink or get bought out because of it.
It may have missed the promised features at launch but at least it was able to run on console hardware without issues. You look at Cyberpunk and it had it all: shit tier performance, broken missions, broken AI, glitches/bugs everywhere, missing features. You name it, Cyberpunk had it.
Instead of Hello Game giving out 'fix' timelines or roadmaps, they hunkered down and quietly went about fixing the game.

CDPR already had issues meeting deadline on releasing this game so now they go ahead and paint the proverbial target on their backs by releasing a roadmap for the fixes. I honestly can't fathom how fucking stupid of a decision this is but then again nothing should surprise me with how much they've fucked up their reputation and this game. I mean these guys are going out of their way to screw up.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Anybody with a brain would know the game would crash and burn on sales in 2021. just look at keysites. the game is straight up sold what 3 weeks after for 19 bucks or something. Nobody wants it.

CDPR should have never released it to start with until it was ready. Which means another 1-2 years of development.

As of now, they need to just cut there loses, put a skelleton crew on it for patches and updates and move on to witcher 4 development.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I saw a thread somewhere about games with massive hype thats soon forgotten after release, with CP2077 in the title.

I knew it was bad but not this bad. Damn....

You're just mad cause CP is exclusive to Xbox.

Sony didn't drop CP, Phil didn't allow it.
He pulled the PS4 disc versions?

Last edited:

Dthomp

Even worse when the road map has apparently been updated and the next gen version isn't even coming to H2 2022 now apparently, what sucks.

This sucks, I've been holding out on playing thinking I'll just wait for the next gen version since my wife wanted to play it already, but my fear is that they are more interested in the "free" dlcs first so they can package them into a Complete Edition version of the game for PS5/XB1 and hope to get a few suckers to pay 60-70 for the full version, instead of focusing on the next gen version first and then finishing the DLC shit. I'll be completely over even caring about playing this by the time they focus on next gen.

Top Bottom