• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Reuters] CD Projekt Red publishes Q1 results - expected net profit down by 64.7%

Bartski

Gold Member

Net profit in the first quarter fell 64.7% to 32.5 million zlotys, well below the 80 million zlotys expected by analysts, impacted by depreciation of Cyberpunk 2077 development expenditures and work on fixing the game. Revenue fell 2% to 197.6 million zlotys ($53.94 million).
"The general situation as long as we are not back on the Sony store has not changed. One of the leading marketplaces for us is not available and we generate most of the sales on the PC/digital channels," a company official told the conference call.
Future sales growth, though, depends on its ability to re-engage Cyberpunk players. It confirmed plans to publish free downloadable content and update both Cyberpunk and The Witcher 3 to next-generation consoles in the second half.

+

Q1 Results presentation

https://www.cdprojekt.com/pl/wp-content/uploads-pl/2021/05/q1-2021-results-presentation.pdf

Containing patch crash rate graph...

lDDgkqR.jpg

Roadmap:

GNbkezI.jpg

Profit and Loss Account details:

cnrbFND.jpg

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned
Well, word of mouth would eventually spread, even if the launch ended up doing very strong numbers. I'm not sure if just allowing it on PSN would cover that percentage decrease though.

Bartski

Gold Member
can anyone with technical insight explain why is the crash rate spiking up whenever patches drop, then to continue declining?

Fbh

They should put all resources to fix the PS version and kiss Sony's feet and beg them to put it back on PSN store that's the only thing that could save them

The Ps4 version is probably never going to get fully fixed. They might make it a bit more stable and crash less but I doubt it will ever be more than some ugly blurry mess with horrible performance.

IMO the best thing they can do is drop last gen support ASAP and fully focus on making a great next gen (as in Ps5/SX) version. Treat it as some sort of relaunch, launch it as a separate release with a new name ("Definitive edition", "Night City Reborn" or some other stupid name) but give current owners a free upgrade. If it's good I could actually see interest in it rising.

Everyone involved in covering, creating, and selling this game did the entire industry a massive disservice and it will and better not be forgotten anytime soon.

Well in a way it might have a positive side too.
I do think the way this game failed will definitely have an effect on how not only CDPR but other big devs advertise their games moving forward.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Hoo-boy. stock price hit the shitter all year.

When the 2077 debacle hit, the stock price dropped, but it kind of rebounded. Since beginning of the year, it's tanked big time to 150 PL. During 2077 launch it was more like 300-400.

Flabagast

can anyone with technical insight explain why is the crash rate spiking up whenever patches drop, then to continue declining?
They adressed it during the confcall, by saying that the spike is due to the process of downloading and installing the update (when doing it in the background at the same time as playing). Overall the stability is improving (and it shows when you play the game)

They also said that they set key metrics (that do not encompass only crashing issues) to reach in accordance with Sony concerning the PS4 version for putting back the game on PSN and that they intend to reach them sooner than later. My guess is the next update (and that would be why it is taking so long) but we never know.

Last edited:

TheUsual

Gold Member
Those Operating Costs skyrocketed from this time last year. Especially the Selling Costs segment of that. Going through the powerpoint and I'm still not sure what exactly these are. Can anyone clarify?

EDIT: Looks like that is tied to salaries, rent, advertisements, and the like. So probably a ton of marketing on Cyberpunk.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Yeah, that's gonna leave a mark. They didn't publish sales for Cyberpunk 2077 and instead rolled all their game sales into one reporting figure? Last time a video game console did that it was because Xbox was cleaning up after Don Mattrick decimated the brand; things are not well in the house of Red.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
For once, I am with Jim Ryan on this. Cyberpunk is horrendous on base consoles. It's not even that it is buggy or runs at 20 fps. It just looks like shit. GTAV looks better. On Xbox One especially, It looks pixelated and far worse than anything ive seen this gen.

o0epylT.gif

hTcyWfD.gif

No game should look like that on the left. it is simply unacceptable and I cant believe MS still has it up on their store.

If CD Project were smart, they would stop worrying about the base version and just get both next gen consoles out. my rtx 2080 can run the game pretty well at 30 fps with RT and a combination of high and medium settings with 1440p DLSS, and while consoles dont have DLSS they can use checkerboarding and settle for medium settings and no RT to get to 1440p. It should be easily doable.

Really poor management by CD Project. Their CEO needs to stop complaining about the Sony decision and step down if he has an ounce of dignity.

GHG

Gold Member
Those Operating Costs skyrocketed from this time last year. Especially the Selling Costs segment of that. Going through the powerpoint and I'm still not sure what exactly these are. Can anyone clarify?

EDIT: Looks like that is tied to salaries, rent, advertisements, and the like. So probably a ton of marketing on Cyberpunk.

Page 8 of this document:

hawfFbW.jpg

yazenov

For once, I am with Jim Ryan on this. Cyberpunk is horrendous on base consoles. It's not even that it is buggy or runs at 20 fps. It just looks like shit. GTAV looks better. On Xbox One especially, It looks pixelated and far worse than anything ive seen this gen.

o0epylT.gif

hTcyWfD.gif

No game should look like that on the left. it is simply unacceptable and I cant believe MS still has it up on their store.

If CD Project were smart, they would stop worrying about the base version and just get both next gen consoles out. my rtx 2080 can run the game pretty well at 30 fps with RT and a combination of high and medium settings with 1440p DLSS, and while consoles dont have DLSS they can use checkerboarding and settle for medium settings and no RT to get to 1440p. It should be easily doable.

Really poor management by CD Project. Their CEO needs to stop complaining about the Sony decision and step down if he has an ounce of dignity.

MS had exclusive marketing rights for Cyberpunk and was desperate for a game to boost the launch sales of Series X/S after the delay of Halo Infinite . They turned a blind eye to this abomination at the expense of their consumers to serve their own interest. A surprise to absolutely no one .

Last edited:
Top Bottom