• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Reuters] CD Projekt Red publishes Q1 results - expected net profit down by 64.7%

Best news I've read all day! I hope these bums have to shut down.
Someone will buy them before that happen lol and it probably MS so expect Witcher 4 to be Xbox and PC Exclusive lol yall better not cry than cause yall been doing the CDPR slander for so long just cause of a not so good Cyberpunk game so don't cry if Witcher 4 comes out and is a 90 plus and is exclusive lol

Last edited:

Klayzer

Someone will buy them before that happen lol and it probably MS so expect Witcher 4 to be Xbox and PC Exclusive lol yall better not cry than cause yall been doing the CDPR slander for so long just cause of a not so good Cyberpunk game so don't cry if Witcher 4 comes out and is a 90 plus and is exclusive lol
Fan fiction. Fortunately, CDPR likes money more than console war wishes.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
CDPR likes money more than console war wishes.
And you think MS handing them a $6 billion check is NOT something they would like?

These guys wanted their christmas bonus so bad they rushed out the most broken game of all time. They literally couldnt wait a few more months to get that bonus. They are greedy sons of bitches who will jump at the shot of getting bought out.

No one is gonna say no to billions. Especially not their CEO and founder who was responsible for rushing this thing out in the first place.

Klayzer

And you think MS handing them a $6 billion check is NOT something they would like?

These guys wanted their christmas bonus so bad they rushed out the most broken game of all time. They literally couldnt wait a few more months to get that bonus. They are greedy sons of bitches who will jump at the shot of getting bought out.

No one is gonna say no to billions. Especially not their CEO and founder who was responsible for rushing this thing out in the first place.
Come on man. Not even Microsoft is going to cut a check for six billion for one game.

GHG

Wow. Selling 15 million copies of a game is now bad.

When it's projected (and budgeted around) selling 30m+ that's bad. Games continuing to sell long after they have released give these companies a solid amount of cash to fall back on while they are developing future projects and that being taken away will hurt.

Overall though it's all relative, most of the industry budgets around projected sales and this is a game that clearly had a lot of money thrown at it. They've already broken even on the game and then some but their historical profit margins are ~50% so they would have had a lot of margin for error.

For reference, the industry average profit margin is around 20% for major third parties.

20cent

Banned
No, I mean the people who played it generally think it's good and the people who are viciously angry haven't touched it.
Hivemind, again.

I'm 70+ hours in and I don't want to let it go. Fortunately, even after completing the main missions and tons of side quests... the game keeps giving you stuff to do. It's GTA with a skill tree and without the South Park jokes. Or what recent Deus EX games should have been.

I've only started playing it after the patch 1.2 though. It has some bugs, yes, but none of the ones I've had were game breaking or required to relaunch the game...

Last edited:

tkscz

When it's projected (and budgeted around) selling 30m+ that's bad. Games continuing to sell long after they have released give these companies a solid amount of cash to fall back on while they are developing future projects and that being taken away will hurt.

Overall though it's all relative, most of the industry budgets around projected sales and this is a game that clearly had a lot of money thrown at it. They've already broken even on the game and then some but their historical profit margins are ~50% so they would have had a lot of margin for error.

For reference, the industry average profit margin is around 20% for major third parties.
Not to mention the amount of time and money they had to spend on those patches.

I hope this taught them something.

zeorhymer

I find it weird that they're banking on this single game to raise monies. Now they're finally making other stuff. They should have had a lot of other smaller projects to cushion the Cyberpunk stuff.

harmny

Banned
I find it weird that they're banking on this single game to raise monies. Now they're finally making other stuff. They should have had a lot of other smaller projects to cushion the Cyberpunk stuff.

why do you find it weird? they have just one AAA team (they'll have two soon) like a lot of the best studios around. they do have a small team for gwent and they released gwent's singleplayer game which is really good. and they have another team for GoG too.

zeorhymer

why do you find it weird? they have just one AAA team (they'll have two soon) like a lot of the best studios around. they do have a small team for gwent and they released gwent's singleplayer game which is really good. and they have another team for GoG too.
For a dev that made a large success with the Witcher series, they went all in with Cyberpunk. They had more than enough success \to experiment and create B teams so they can fall back on it. Gwent got cancelled on consoles 2 years ago, so I'm not sure why they would put focus on that. Now they're backed into a corner and have to catch up. If you look at the financials, GOG isn't profitable which makes it worse.

It's not that it's bad, they expected more.
It's right there in the title.
"expected net profit down by 64.7%"
Yes, they expected the game to have better legs. It doesn't have good legs because it's missing on one platform and the bad word of mouth is reducing sales on other platforms. Still doesn't mean that the game was a failure. It already made a solid profit and might regain legs with updates and patches.

Because they are an indie dev when all is said and done. Also, they did Thronebreakers but it was loud and clear those on gaf never played an indie game in their lives.

Flabagast

Because they are an indie dev when all is said and done. Also, they did Thronebreakers but it was loud and clear those on gaf never played an indie game in their lives.
Thronebreakers was really good by the way, all in all a AAA spin on a card game, with a great story campaign and characters, lovely art and really interesting gameplay. It's a shame that the game did not sell very well, specially on consoles (and internal reports say that CDPR regrets pouring so much money and people on the project).

They also have Gwent online that assure them a small but steady revenue.

Excellent news. Bunch of assholes released a buggy game that had no business releasing at the time it did. On top of that, a lot of features and supposed missions we were promised were also missing in the final release. Even though I finished and enjoyed the story the overall game was a huge disappointment. The really bad AI was also very immersion breaking for me.

This game and the Elite Dangerous Odyssey DLC expansion are two of the biggest gaming disappointments I’ve had in a very very long time. Two otherwise great games that were pushed out too early by greedy management and executives.

Last edited:

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
In an alternate universe Cyberpunk 2077 would have sold 30 million copies by now and be running on a Nintendo Switch Pro.

Varteras

Gold Member
In an alternate universe Cyberpunk 2077 would have sold 30 million copies by now and be running on a Nintendo Switch Pro.
Yuuuup. Instead we get the one where CDPR forgot no one in this industry is immune to the backlash of being sloppy and arrogant. Should have called up Sony, Square, and Microsoft and asked them how much being a douche ended up costing them. Don't ask Activision. They made a deal with devil. Only reason I can see them continuing to get away with shit and even that will eventually fuck them. On the Blizzard side, it already is.

Flabagast

I just want to know when the next damn patch is.

What happened to that road map? Are they pulling an Anthem, or what?
Next week or the one after according to CDPR boss. There are still at least 50% of their employees working on the game, so they are not pulling an Anthem yet ( and they won’t at least until the next gen version releases)

Honestly I would focus on Switch Pro as next gen upgrade.
They could make the last gen version work on that console.

That way they can compensate for missing out on PS store.

PC, Xbox and Switch is more than enough of the market, even if PS is the second biggest for CDPR right now

Roni

Gold Member
Jake Gyllenhaal No GIF
I'm on my third playthrough eyeing a fourth.

The game's fine if you're a Cyberpunk fan or have an imagination.

Rikkori

Agreed. The issue is when you have this much popularity the audience will be comprised of a lot of people who want to be spoon-fed & hand-held through everything. An ironic and big problem for them with Cyberpunk is that they did so well in building the atmosphere and the world that now it's suffering from an uncanny valley effect of sorts, where people perceive more weaknesses than there are simply because it isn't an actual 1-2-1 world simulation. If you compare the game in its totality to other games, rather than what people fantasise Cyberpunk 2077 should be it's a very good game in fact and achieves a helluva lot, and much more than The Witcher 3 for example. But people just can't see it because they're myopic.

Certainly if you are into Cyberpunk lore & the like then playing the game has been a real trip and it's a lot of fun and very cool to inhabit. They did a great job on capturing that atmosphere & translating it into a fun and playable VG. I do wish they'd do more on the emergent gameplay side but I know they said they don't focus on that, so I won't fault them for not delivering more on that.

Javthusiast

Banned

The three paths are barely any different after like 20 minutes. They dialogue options leave wanting more and endings eh. Half baked systems. What is there to play through 4 times for?

JayK47

I liked the game well enough. So much bitterness towards this $60 game and how quickly many of you turn against a studio that gave you such an amazing previous game. I guess most of you have the PS4 version collecting dust on your shelf. I guess I chose wisely and played the PC version which was not half bad at launch. If you actually played the game and didn't fuck around watching each NPC walk/drive around and didn't get into shootouts with the police, the game seemed fine. Maybe on my second playthrough, I will be more critical of it if there is no different way to really play it.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
So much bitterness towards this $60 game and how quickly many of you turn against a studio that gave you such an amazing previous game. […] I guess I chose wisely and played the PC version which was not half bad at launch. If you actually played the game and didn't fuck around watching each NPC walk/drive around and didn't get into shootouts with the police, the game seemed fine.
Ok, so gamers owe them for Witcher 3 and it is their fault for not building a PC strong enough to handle the game and expecting the product to work on PS4/PS4 Pro/Xbox One X.

On top of that they are also making the mistake of taking CDPR at their word and playing around the sandbox RPG they were sold as such instead of treating it as a more linear controlled experience… gotcha…

Last edited:

JayK47

Yeah I get it. The game did not meet your expectations. But to then want the company to dissolve or the employees to lose their jobs is a dick thing to say. I want them to make improvements to the game, but I am certain the game will never be good enough to match the hype or expectations. I was disappointed with The Witcher 2 after loving the first game. But they made up for it with The Witcher 3. I want them to still make games and hopefully the next one is better. No reason for anything bad to happen to them.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
What fucking baffles me that they made this game for 7 FUCKING YEARS, that's like RDR 2...and that...well that actually had completely dynamic world at least.
After u release the nextgen patch for TW3 u can fucking die CDPR.
Saber Interactive is going it, so...

Last edited:

harmny

Banned
What fucking baffles me that they made this game for 7 FUCKING YEARS, that's like RDR 2...and that...well that actually had completely dynamic world at least.

Saber Interactive is going it, so...

4 years. I thought you were smarter than that. They started development after blood and wine in 2016

LMJ

Sadly shitty publisher tactics have all but wiped away good will For what many people consider to be one of the best games of all time the Witcher 3...

As for all of you hating on the devs and hoping the studio gets shut down, shame on you pieces of crap, sometimes bad things happen such as having to program for multiple skus when clearly this was meant to be a next Gen. Project

Anyone who has played the PC game will tell you it's actually a great game, the only people who suffered were playstation 4 and especially xbox one players. I'm not saying they don't deserve any criticism at all, they clearly do but wishing the studio's destruction is just disgusting.

Sadly we live in a world where money overrules any rational thinking and the ceos and publishers of project CD red insisted on trying to program for systems that had no real way of handling such a complex game.

Had this been a next Gen. Project from the get go, I have no doubt that right now CD project red would be celebrating a ridiculous amount of sales and an incredible amount of good will and praise.

harmny

Banned
They started full production in 2016, pre-production and prototyping also count as a development time, you know.

they don't count when you are using it as an argument for how long they took to make the game. because the reason they started in 2016 wasn't because they needed 4 years of preproduction. they started in 2016 because that's when the team was finally free and able to work on another game. so they don't count.

in fact a lot of the work that was made by that small preproduction and prototyping team was scrapped because when they released the witcher 3 and it was an absolute success they redesigned a lot of things to be an iteration of tw3's formula.

Last edited:

nowhat

when they released the witcher 3 and it was an absolute success they redesigned a lot of things to be an iteration of tw3's formula.
So, I'm not trying to get into a full argument here. I know how you feel about the game. I was disappointed with Cyberpunk - the bugs and crashes played a part for sure, but it was other aspects of the game that ultimately made me enjoy it far less than I anticipated. But let's leave it at that, for the most part.

Still, can you give any examples on how Cyberpunk is an iteration of Witcher 3's formula? Because that's one of my main issues, playing as Geralt I felt I still had much more control over my choices and character as opposed to playing as "V", which supposedly was my own creation.

Top Bottom