• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Revealing the details on Destiny's competitive multiplayer; health, voice chat, etc

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...buffer&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Buffer

• "Definitely feels faster than Halo"
  • Bring your SP [as in campaign, that's still online and co-opable] character into MP
  • You can take out an unaware player really quickly (even with normal weapons)
  • Systems in place to balance weapons over time
  • Currently no option for stock multiplayer option (start game->straight to MP)
  • As of now, health and armor, armor bleeds down, then to health (depends on class, Titans slightly harder to kill)
  • Emphasizing verticality (take stairs to 2nd floor of a building or double jump through exploded hole in the wall?)
  • Hope that maps bring out a "oh this is a Bungie map for sure" classic feeling in players
  • Lots of options possible (turning supers off and other playlists mentioned)
  • Don't want to talk about splitscreen yet
  • You can choose to only communicate with your fireteam so others don't ruin your experience
  • Up to 6 player teams

Customization at about 4m... I mean, I know it's about par for course in a MMO...

But damn it looks wicked to get a FPS MMO with that.

PBY

Banned
Is this online only?

Ie - i know there's "SP" but is it an online connected experience type thing?

These gameplay ideas sound like a breath of fresh air, I hope the next wave of AAA games try and one up eachother in this regard.

Is this online only?

Ie - i know there's "SP" but is it an online connected experience type thing?
Online only yes, but you can choose to go through the whole story on your own.

Annoying yes, but necessary for the "public events" they have going on in the game.

Wizman23

Banned
Confused about not being to start from the menu. Regardless in Bungie I trust. 6 players is perfect as well. Always thought that was the sweet spot in Halo.

Halo fans coming into this expecting anything Halo-like from the multiplayer are going to be massively disappointed I think. Best to keep expectations in check and realize this is gonna be a whole new ballgame for better or worse.

siddhu33

I hate how people want increased lethality. I don't find it fun when you just get shot from behind in half a second. I would much prefer that the higher-skilled player wins, rather than the one who just respawns behind you.

Halo fans coming into this expecting anything Halo-like from the multiplayer are going to be massively disappointed I think. Best to keep expectations in check and realize this is gonna be a whole new ballgame for better or worse.

Yep. A completely different focus group, for a completely different time. People don't play shooters like they used to, in the days of Halo, Quake, Unreal, etc...

see5harp

I hate how people want increased lethality. I don't find it fun when you just get shot from behind in half a second. I would much prefer that the higher-skilled player wins, rather than the one who just respawns behind you.

Yep. A completely different focus group, for a completely different timezone. People don't play shooters like they used to, in the days of Halo, Quake, Unreal, etc...

Exactly. The speed of movement getting increased is fine, but let's make sure the cream can rise to the top like in Halo.

siddhu33

Yup sounds like another garbage COD clone. Fuck being killed within 1 second.

Damn bungie wtf happened to you?

It's not Bungie. It's us. We don't like the old style of shooters any more. We want customisation, perks, kill streaks, abilities, and all this other superfluous shit. It's quite sad, really. People can't play shooters anymore unless every kill gives you a +10, or a new weapon, or a new item, and I think that's sad. Look at how many people play shooters competitively...

see5harp

Hey at least they understand you need voice chat. Like even in Battlefield 4, I don't understand why a dude sitting in the jeep with you, regardless of squad, can't hear you speak. Wouldn't it be better to implement a proximity chat like in Halo 3 so that I could say "let me repair the tank" before the guy takes off without me?

Bsigg12

How is it different from any other current MP game with leveling including Halo 4, every CoD and BF?

The weapons you collect in the pve section could have stat buffs giving you an advantage. Going into a match of Halo 4 with different loadouts is different in that you don't have to worry about a DMR having a damage buff or a sniper that camouflages you when scoped.

One interesting question I would like asked is if there is a true SP ending of any kind, even though it's expected the game keeps going because that's how the game is setup.

One interesting question I would like asked is if there is a true SP ending of any kind, even though it's expected the game keeps going because that's how the game is setup.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=728254&highlight=

Like a traditional single-player shooter, Destiny features a cinematic story with a clear conclusion.

"There is a very defined storyline, with a beginning, middle and end," says head of community Eric Osborne. "For those who want to binge and concentrate on story, you can have what feels like a very directed, cinematic experience."

LAA

Argh come on! Please splitscreen, give me something to play with my brother on PS4!

Also *Fingers MEGAAAA CROSSED for something like custom games on Halo 3* I've missed Halo 3 custom games so much and it seems 343 isnt so bothered about it anymore, so I'm really hoping Bungie still are!

Casanova

Yeah this doesn't sound too good.

I don't understand the concern with this.

In all Halo titles (which is what you guys are referring to) it is easy to take out someone who is not aware of your presence or is turned around with their back facing you. You spawn with two grenades, grenades are everywhere on the map, and in almost no time you have access to several heavy power weapons.

People should seriously hold back comments like this until they get a chance to see what Bungie has done or atleast until they've had the time to more carefully interpret what they've said about the game.

I really don't see this being a big deal at all.

Dumb question but if the core PvE mode is a loot game ala Borderlands or Diablo wouldn't bringing your character and associated weapons and skills totally destroy any semblance of balancing in PvP?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I like the sound of double jump. Really curious as to how they'll balance Quest items in competitive MP.

Dumb question but if the core PvE mode is a loot game ala Borderlands or Diablo wouldn't bringing your character and associated weapons and skills totally destroy any semblance of balancing in PvP?
Not a dumb question at all. And its one I don't think has been answered yet.

dralla

I'm not sure about taking out people "really quickly". I liked the higher health of Halo games. It gives more opportunity for Bungies combat sandbox to shine.

the more I hear about the multiplayer the more I worry
couldn't they have just left the borderlands playstyle in campaign only and kept stock multiplayer :( It can never be competitive if everyone has one of a thousand different weapons.

Top Bottom