• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Revisiting Baldur's Gate 1 and 2. What are the must-have mods?

ronito

So I popped ye olde cds in and have them installed now I'm wondering what mods I should get as the first time I played through I did it without any mods. So any help would be appreciated.

Xtyle

I just recently installed Baldur's Gate Trilogy (A mod that has all the Baldur's Gate games installed as 1 connected game). It works with the widescreen mode also.

Gravijah

favouriteflavour said:
The backgrounds in those games were shit hot. Also the last game I got with a good manual.

Speaking of good manuals, World of Warcraft has a fucking awesome manual. It's like a tiny book.

ronito

Sinatar said:
1.) BG1Tutu - Ports Baldur's Gate into the Baldur's Gate 2 engine, making it a better experience overall.

2.) Widescreen - Lets you play any infinity engine game in whatever resolution you want.

3.) BG1 Unfinished Business - Restores a bunch of cut content from Baldur's Gate.

4.) BG2 Unfinished Business - Same as above but for Baldur's Gate 2.

5.) Banter Pack - Restores a bunch of cut party banter from BG2.
Great I'll pick these up. Any others?

Patryn

Let me throw in another mention of Baldur's Gate Trilogy. It's an alternative to Tutu, in that it also ports BG1 into the BG2 engine, but instead of keeping it separate, it allows the whole series to flow as one single game (basically adds one cutscene to help the transition between BG1 and BG2).

It does require that you have BG1, Tales of the Sword Coast, BG2 and Throne of Bhaal, though.

Yasae

Banned
ronito said:
Great I'll pick these up. Any others?
Maybe Sword Coast Strategems to make things a bit more unpredictable.

And before you do anything, read the Tutu mod compatibility and order of install thread on G3 to make sure you install mods for Tutu in order. You can easily destroy an install with out of order mods, especially the one for widescreen (usually that's installed last,) and in some cases it's irreversible. Be careful if you want to grab more mods later on.

From what I see, you shouldn't have any conflicts with the mods suggested so far as long as they're installed in the proper order. Modded BG + widescreen is so nice....

Dresden

Gravijah said:
Speaking of good manuals, World of Warcraft has a fucking awesome manual. It's like a tiny book.
WoW's manual didn't compare to BG2's original manual, that had a detailed glossary of every single spell in the game. I used to read that shit for minutes.

nataku

I've never played either BG games, but I really want to. Where is the best place to get them? I was looking at getting the 4 in 1 pack from Amazon since there doesn't seem to be a DD of the games. Is that the best one to go with?

nataku said:
I've never played either BG games, but I really want to. Where is the best place to get them? I was looking at getting the 4 in 1 pack from Amazon since there doesn't seem to be a DD of the games. Is that the best one to go with?
A Steam release would be nice, although that looks like a decent deal.

Minsc

Gold Member
Undeux said:
I wish it were possible to play this on a Mac. :(

It is, from what I read Parallels or the sort run it fine.

Edit: I feel Icewind Dale gets overlooked here, if you are looking in to BG/BG2, don't skip over IWD, the first is an incredible game, the second, a bit less but still fun.

I'm probably doing something terribly wrong, but I've been playing BG1 lately (via EasyTutu) and the widescreen mod just bothered the shit out of me, so I just play it in its original aspect ratio and deal with the upscaling blur (which isn't terrible to my eyes). Setting it to my native res (1680x1050) made the UI ugly and unusably tiny. Was I doing something wrong or is it just a matter of preference?

Joe Shlabotnik said:
I'm probably doing something terribly wrong, but I've been playing BG1 lately (via EasyTutu) and the widescreen mod just bothered the shit out of me, so I just play it in its original aspect ratio and deal with the upscaling blur (which isn't terrible to my eyes). Setting it to my native res (1680x1050) made the UI ugly and unusably tiny. Was I doing something wrong or is it just a matter of preference?
Why not just set it to a lower widescreen resolution? The UI won't scale with the res, which is why it's so tiny when you go high up.

Text is the main problem for me, but you can improve that by setting it to a "larger" font in the BGconfig file (the text cfg), just set it to something bold.

Though I've seen some UI mods before (mainly changing colours and the like), I haven't seen any "high-res ui" mods, not sure if that's been done now though, or if it even can be done.

Ledsen

Joe Shlabotnik said:

1680x1050 is super tiny, I use 1280x800 on my 22" monitor and it's the perfect size.

Danne-Danger said:
Why not just set it to a lower widescreen resolution? The UI won't scale with the res, which is why it's so tiny when you go high up.

Text is the main problem for me, but you can improve that by setting it to a "larger" font in the BGconfig file (the text cfg), just set it to something bold.

Though I've seen some UI mods before (mainly changing colours and the like), I haven't seen any "high-res ui" mods, not sure if that's been done now though, or if it even can be done.

I'm pretty sure the interface is hardcoded.

I picked up the BG1+2 pack from Amazon a few months back when I bought my M11x. Never got around to installing them as I still need an external DVD drive.

But now GoG will have BG1 with ToSC tomorrow! Hopefully BG2, with expansion, and all of Icewind Dale will follow in the coming months.

I wonder if the widescreen patch will still be needed after GoG's optimized version is released? Or if any of the old mods will even work with GoG's version. Guess I'll find out tomorrow.

Minsc

Gold Member
Reluctant-Hero said:
I picked up the BG1+2 pack from Amazon a few months back when I bought my M11x. Never got around to installing them as I still need an external DVD drive.

But now GoG will have BG1 with ToSC tomorrow! Hopefully BG2, with expansion, and all of Icewind Dale will follow in the coming months.

I wonder if the widescreen patch will still be needed after GoG's optimized version is released? Or if any of the old mods will even work with GoG's version. Guess I'll find out tomorrow.

They'll all work and be needed if you want them. GoG more than likely won't even install the unofficial (but essential) fix pack, or text/grammar fix patch, or anything else but the official patches.

keuja

If you play Throne of Bhaal, the David Gaider's mods are a must, the Ascension mod in particular.
It makes the games and story so much better.

coopolon

So I'm feeling pretty nostalgic. So I'm going to do what I've advised numerous people on here not to do, and play BG1 in the original engine.

I haven't played it non-tutu in probably several years. Is Baldurdash still the best fix pack? I thought G3 released a more comprehensive patch that incorporated Baldurdash's work with more recent work, but their tweak pack is way more than I am looking for.

Hey there, sorry to bump an old thread, but I had a dream about playing baldurs gate, and now i want to purchase baldurs gate. Do I really need the mods and stuff? Or can i just go to gog and buy it and get going. I'd prefer to play it in its original state but if playing BG1 with the BG2 engine makes it more reliable/sensical/better i guess i dont have a choice?

Uchip

Banned
Ah
my favourite PC game of all time
been playing co-op with 2 friends which is fun if you have skype going :)
just make sure you play throne of bhaal all the way through

Minsc said:
It is, from what I read Parallels or the sort run it fine.

Edit: I feel Icewind Dale gets overlooked here, if you are looking in to BG/BG2, don't skip over IWD, the first is an incredible game, the second, a bit less but still fun.
I actually really like IWD 2 but yes the Icewind Dale series shouldn't be missed if you like the BG style of game.

Patryn

Onion_Relish said:
Hey there, sorry to bump an old thread, but I had a dream about playing baldurs gate, and now i want to purchase baldurs gate. Do I really need the mods and stuff? Or can i just go to gog and buy it and get going. I'd prefer to play it in its original state but if playing BG1 with the BG2 engine makes it more reliable/sensical/better i guess i dont have a choice?

It's a good game regardless, but mods make it better.

Pretty much the only necessary mod for modern systems is the widescreen mod.

Rad-

Uchip said:
Ah
my favourite PC game of all time
been playing co-op with 2 friends which is fun if you have skype going :)
just make sure you play throne of bhaal all the way through

BG2 is a very underrated co-op game. Probably the most fun I have ever had in a co-op.

Donos

Played BGII+Expansion and Icewind Dale Games countless times but never played BGI. Don't know why. I think i don't wanted to play an "older" version of BGII (as sequels often "improve" things) but i will buy it from gog.com soon and use the engine mod. Can't wait to dive back in the BG world (while typing this, i already get the urge to replay BGII)

Onion_Relish said:
You shouldn't have any reliability issues playing the GoG version. As a Baldur's Gate veteran, I find Tutu to be the way to go with BG1, but for a first timer, I'd probably just recommend going straight-up to get the whole experience.

Widescreen mod might be good if you want to play full-screen, but if you don't mind a window, BG has a pretty good range of windowed sizes available.

MacGurcules said:
You shouldn't have any reliability issues playing the GoG version. As a Baldur's Gate veteran, I find Tutu to be the way to go with BG1, but for a first timer, I'd probably just recommend going straight-up to get the whole experience.

Widescreen mod might be good if you want to play full-screen, but if you don't mind a window, BG has a pretty good range of windowed sizes available.

I dont mind playing in windowed mode. Really the only reason why I would want mods is if there was something terrible broken with the game. That being said, i bust out the starcraft and diablo and mechwarrior 2 every once and a while and play them without mods just fine.

Johnas

Onion_Relish said:
I dont mind playing in windowed mode. Really the only reason why I would want mods is if there was something terrible broken with the game. That being said, i bust out the starcraft and diablo and mechwarrior 2 every once and a while and play them without mods just fine.

I ran through BGI for the first time late last year/earlier this year, without any mods at all and loved it. The only problem I personally encountered was at the end of the game where I triggered a particular glitch, but it wasn't game-breaking. Not sure if a mod would have prevented it or not.

Just to clarify, I have an old 4:3 CRT monitor, and played it in 800x600, so I'm the exception as far as hardware goes.

Van Buren

I'd recommend playing through BG1 on the BG2 engine for convenience sake - this way you get used to the user interface, which has a learning curve for people new to these kinds of rpgs. Not only that, I think BG1 didn't highlight game objects on pressing TAB, and this might be a nuisance when doing quests that require pixel hunting quest items from a rock hidden between trees. That said, don't miss BG1, since the experience - running away from a single wolf in BG1 to becoming a character strong enough to take down demigods in your sleep in BG2, is an experience that's rarely matched in other series.

Van Buren said:
I'd recommend playing through BG1 on the BG2 engine for convenience sake - this way you get used to the user interface, which has a learning curve for people new to these kinds of rpgs. Not only that, I think BG1 didn't highlight game objects on pressing TAB, and this might be a nuisance when doing quests that require pixel hunting quest items from a rock hidden between trees. That said, don't miss BG1, since the experience - running away from a single wolf in BG1 to becoming a character strong enough to take down demigods in your sleep in BG2, is an experience that's rarely matched in other series.

Well if it's like diablo one where you just have to scroll your mouse around thats not a big issue. There is also gamefaqs if im utterly and hopelessly lost. I believe that for the most part you should try and experience games in their native habitat. SNES games are always best on the SNES because that is the only way they existed for a brief period in time. Sure you can use a PS2 emulator to get HD graphics and stuff, but it is a simulacrum, a perfect copy of something flawed.

Van Buren

Onion_Relish said:
Well if it's like diablo one where you just have to scroll your mouse around thats not a big issue. There is also gamefaqs if im utterly and hopelessly lost. I believe that for the most part you should try and experience games in their native habitat. SNES games are always best on the SNES because that is the only way they existed for a brief period in time. Sure you can use a PS2 emulator to get HD graphics and stuff, but it is a simulacrum, a perfect copy of something flawed.

BG1 still holds up well - it's just that I try to recommend the BG2 engine transition to ease people into the series. The BG2 engine adds minor improvements that enhance the intuitiveness a great deal. If you are willing to invest the time to learn the BG1 UI, go for it - it's more than playable. Honestly, a couple of hours into the game, and you will scarcely give the UI any thought - the content's that compelling.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I actually just started up a game of Baldur's Gate 2 the other day, and I'm finally going to play through it. I've played through the intro dungeon at least six times since its release and, for one reason or another, I always stopped soon after exiting the dungeon.

This time, though, I'm determined to play through the whole thing. My extreme disappointment in Dragon Age II spurred me to want to play a more substantial RPG. I played the first Baldur's Gate and Tales of the Sword Coast when they first came out, but for some reason I was never able to get into the sequel. This time I'm playing with the widescreen mod and the BG2 fix pack. I just finished the circus tent part near the beginning of the game, and I'm really enjoying it so far.

Van Buren said:
BG1 still holds up well - it's just that I try to recommend the BG2 engine transition to ease people into the series. The BG2 engine adds minor improvements that enhance the intuitiveness a great deal. If you are willing to invest the time to learn the BG1 UI, go for it - it's more than playable. Honestly, a couple of hours into the game, and you will scarcely give the UI any thought - the content's that compelling.
It's not like the interface is wildly different going from BG to BG2. Baldur's Gate 2 just cleans up some of the rough edges. I'd absolutely recommend Tutu for anybody that's already been through it once.

But for a first-timer, I gotta recommend doing it up natural. You can't really appreciate the changes made (both with an interface swap and with mods) unless you play it straight the first time.

LastWindow said:
I went to play Baldur's Gate again today and I've never played it with the widescreen mod, so I install that and now everything is on the upper left corner. I put the correct resolution in and even tried reinstalling it with a lower resolution but it's still the same. Is there a fix for this?
What do you mean by "everything"? The maps orient themselves to the top corner. If they're smaller than your screen resolution, they'll peg themselves there and you won't be able to scroll. That shouldn't actually cause any problems, though.

I know that the widescreen mod could screw up your saves if you applied it and then tried to load a save from a game you played without it. I have no idea why. That may have been fixed, though.

EDIT: I guess you got it worked out...

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
bigben85 said:
I just recently installed Baldur's Gate Trilogy (A mod that has all the Baldur's Gate games installed as 1 connected game). It works with the widescreen mode also.

This is what I used last year when they launched on GoG. It's quite insane how much is added to the game in terms of quests, characters, etc.. Also the install process was supremely lengthy and irritating. I mostly just stuck to the story characters in my party though, as I don't care for the fanmade stuff. The 'Unfinished' content is great though, especially having resolutions for character quests that were never included in the retail releases.

I played up to Chapter 4 in BG1 and still plan to get back to it eventually. Everything holds up quite well except for the combat. It really doesn't get interesting until you hit the highest levels(Throne of Bhaal) and can do more beyond a few cruddy low level spells, and lots of arrow fire from mages.

Top Bottom