• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Revisiting Death Stranding After The Announcement of DS 2

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
Okey here is what I think after playing DS for the second time. After I saw that DS got a second installment I was like “ ok now I must revisit the game, give it another chance and refresh my memory about the story “

You know when you find that song and you really like it to the point where you use it in every video and listen to it everyday everywhere rather than understanding the lyrics you just love the rhythm of the song. Yeah this is what I witnessed in Death Stranding, the game keep showing the same thing the same drama and the same way from the beginning of the “ Episodes “ till the end of it.

No doubt I enjoyed the world the mechanics and the gameplay was just so good but sad it was about only delivering and fighting cringy bosses with the cringiest lines ever. Death Stranding offered such a bad story writing , not to mention the weirdness in changing the development of the characters in many ways through out the storyline. The game wanted to use the element of surprise but they didn’t know how to do it, they wanted to make that twist but sure they failed in that.

I didn’t have any connection with any character. You can’t make a connection if there is nothing to connect to! I mean making a lot of drama scenes won’t make me feel the sadness or the joy, every time there is a scene I know it would be forced by fake emotions and lots of tense moments with no reason!

I know you willl get answers at the end of a game or a movie, but you can’t put many holes inside holes and says its “complicated story”. I’m mad because I really like the concept and wanted so hard to feel and connect to characters but this game just told you to not through out unnecessary drama and poor writing.

I think DS 2 is not a great idea if it keeps doing what they did in the first game.

What about you folks.. knowing that DS2 is coming, are you excited to continue the journey or do you have some comments?

Deerock71

I think DS 2 is not a great idea if it keeps doing what they did in the first game.
If it does what it did in the first game, it'll have to be an entirely new genre of video game, beyond even the original, correct? I'm going with that which Kojima said himself, whom I have heard if you were to sniff his shit with your eyes closed, would smell of rosewater and snickerdoodles.

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
If it does what it did in the first game, it'll have to be an entirely new genre of video game, beyond even the original, correct? I'm going with that which Kojima said himself, whom I have heard if you were to sniff his shit with your eyes closed, would smell of rosewater and snickerdoodles.

Just to be clear, The points I mentioned has nothing to do with if Kojima gave a new gener or not. I love what Kojima did as a new genre in games, love the gameplay the sharing world we got in DS all of these things I have no problem with.

If you are ok with cringe writing and bad storytelling.. then sir this is your opinion and I respect it

bender

What time is it?
It's the perfect example of a game I respect the hell out of while barely finding any enjoyment out of it. It is a visual treat and when you combine the well thought out visuals systems and one of the more unique online implementations since Demon Souls, you have this really neat sandbox which makes it all the more odd that it doesn't capture my interest. Games that are toys are usually the ones I enjoy the most. I also usually love Kojima's games and don't mind ignoring the story (MGS5 being the perfect example as I put over 100 hours into).

Last edited:

DelireMan7

Playing it for the first time currently.

I am curious about the story and universe. Gameplay is ok but honestly have my doubts I will finish it. Games looks quite long and the gameplay loop isn't so entertaining. It's very repetitive and nothing exciting.

Also the focus on characters face during cutscenes somehow bothers me. Actually the characters behavior looks and sounds very fake. Like bad acting. Cutscenes disturb me quite a bit because of these reasons.

Well it's game that explore new territories but not sure I like it in the end.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Man, I love Kojima's work, but the idea of revisiting Death Stranding is like revisiting dinner when your plumbing gets all fucked up.

I'll probably wait for the opinion here on GAF for DS2, and if it's good, I'll force myself through the first one, but at that point in my life, I wasn't feeling it.

They need to change the formula for DS2....we cant be isolated so much when we jsut connected the whole US. Also, give me real characters/NPC to interract with, not emails and a simple passport photo of the person Im dealing with. I donno what the issues are in DS2 but I dont think they can play the same trick twice.

Aion002

I liked the gameplay... I liked a lot.

The story? Well... Daryl from TWD has to do some deliveries with a baby strapped on his chest, while Troy Baker and some ghosts are after him.

american music awards fun GIF by AMAs

I am hyped for the sequel.

I loved the gameplay and hope they expand upon it massively in the sequel.

Then again if Kojima what's to throw that all out and start something new I want to see that as well 😅.

Enjoyed the story overall despite the issues felt like going on a grand adventure. Was very satisfied with the ending.

BabyYoda

Banned
Just finished this game, bit late to the party and all. I really enjoyed it tbh. Yeah it's a bit clunky and some of the writing was cringeworthy, sure, but that's most Japanese writing to me, silly but very imaginative. Absolutely gorgeous game, story that kept me interested till the end and gameplay that fulfilled a fantasy of mine I suppose, I love games where you have to navigate tricky terrain and this had that in spades!

For the sequel, assuming it's along the same lines (although Kojima has hinted it might not be), I hope they refine the on foot navigation of the terrain and massively work on the vehicle physics and controls, I want the truck to handle more like a Warthog and allow us to fit caterpillar tracks to all vehicles. I get it that they didn't want vehicles to be too powerful, negating the need of other means of delivering cargo. But for those that want to use them, make them less frustrating, by all means make it tough to unlock the upgrades though. Also the combat needs to be improved, including the stealth, but just guns blazing felt unrefined, lots of improvements could be made there.

I didn't want to build too much, because timefall would just destroy said structures anyway, maybe make a way of limiting that (or perhaps the sequel won't have timefall anyway) and I might have used that feature more often, maybe automating deliveries of resources by the robots (assuming you have said resources back at base) to complete or repair structures (or would that eat into the online component?) A way to send a robot/porter to retrieve your various resources scattered throughout the different bases would be nice!

Lastly perhaps add coop or other ways of joining with people or even invading them, basically take the Souls like online components in even more creative and innovative directions.

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Not reading the messages here too deeply (to not get spoiled as I MIGHT return to the game) but seeing exactly the same complaints I have and why I haven't finished. The Job Simulator part of the game - fan fucking tastic, and exactly what I wanted out of the thing, especially with the DC. The story - complete and utter fucking dogshit. I got to Chapter 4 and just stopped. I'm not sure when I'll get back, but I can not believe how terrible a storyteller this guy is when he's got NO ONE reigning him in, and everyone going on and on about what an auteur this guy is. The "Junkman" questline was one of the worst fucking things I'd ever seen. . .until we got to the bit with Quiet. . .I mean Fragile (barf).

. . .if this is what an independent Kojima can do, I've got zero interest in his future stuff.

Just finished this game, bit late to the party and all. I really enjoyed it tbh. Yeah it's a bit clunky and some of the writing was cringeworthy, sure, but that's most Japanese writing to me, silly but very imaginative. Absolutely gorgeous game, story that kept me interested till the end and gameplay that fulfilled a fantasy of mine I suppose, I love games where you have to navigate tricky terrain and this had that in spades!

For the sequel, assuming it's along the same lines (although Kojima has hinted it might not be), I hope they refine the on foot navigation of the terrain and massively work on the vehicle physics and controls, I want the truck to handle more like a Warthog and allow us to fit caterpillar tracks to all vehicles. I get it that they didn't want vehicles to be too powerful, negating the need of other means of delivering cargo. But for those that want to use them, make them less frustrating, by all means make it tough to unlock the upgrades though. Also the combat needs to be improved, including the stealth, but just guns blazing felt unrefined, lots of improvements could be made there.

I didn't want to build too much, because timefall would just destroy said structures anyway, maybe make a way of limiting that (or perhaps the sequel won't have timefall anyway) and I might have used that feature more often, maybe automating deliveries of resources by the robots (assuming you have said resources back at base) to complete or repair structures (or would that eat into the online component?) A way to send a robot/porter to retrieve your various resources scattered throughout the different bases would be nice!

Lastly perhaps add coop or other ways of joining with people or even invading them, basically take the Souls like online components in even more creative and innovative directions.
I don't remember timefall destroying many structures in my plathrough 🤔. Maybe I had to do a few repairs here and there.

I would like them to expand the building aspect of it. Almost felt like an real time strategy game I could then interact with.

It's important that's once the structures are built there's still.some challenge. Once the ziplines get built in the first game there's no longer any challenge in traversal. Although it's satisfying and challenging to set up.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Loved it 200+ hours on Pro. Should've integrated MGSV combat stealth weapon mechanics in combination of more "camps" of that anti UPS faction. Just spitballing

Less snow more tropical.

Last edited:

RickSanchez

Gold Member
The polarised opinion around this game just proves that video games truly are an art, and art is always subjective. Not everyone likes everything.

I personally fucking love the gameplay mechanics. The walking. Climbing. Hiking. Swimming. Driving. Building. Balancing. Sneaking. Even the non-boss combat and stealth sections are fun to do.

The story.......i'm sure i didn't understand a lot of the nuanced meaning that Kojima was trying to convey but i get that it is about bringing people together and helping each other overcome difficult odds and moving forward collectively. The bit at the end where Sam is asked to terminate BB and you're walking to the incinerator and BB's theme starts playing....... fuck what a moment. It hits you hard if you've been following the story at all.

BUT, i thought it was a great one-off and for me, it did NOT need a sequel, so i am more apprehensive about that than excited.

Last edited:

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
The bit at the end where Sam is asked to terminate BB and you're walking to the incinerator and BB's theme starts playing....... fuck what a moment. It hits you hard if you've been following the story at all.
This is the only time I really felt something.. and enjoyed the walking the talking and the ending of it. I put many hours into this game and yes I hated the way they tell the story the characters development was bad and writing was cringey at times but regarding the world the gameplay the mechanics the soundtrack.. I loved that so much and I know Kojima has its own way to tell a story like MGS which I fucking love, but for me this one as a storytelling was just bad even the acting was bad.. so I’m really not into another sequel but who knows, maybe it will surprise me

Corian33

I was hooked by the game and enjoyed it all the way through. Especially the middle of the game. The first few hours are a bit tedious until you get more tools. The last chunk of the game gets silly with the story and 15 minute cutscenes. The middle thought is a blast.

No other experience in gaming quite like gearing up for a difficult journey over impossible ground, using ropes and ladders and everything else to overcome every obstacle, then riding the zip line you just built back over the same ground in a few seconds.

I for one did enjoy the father/child connection at the end. Even if it took absolutely forever to move that part of the story forward.

BabyYoda

Banned
I don't remember timefall destroying many structures in my plathrough 🤔. Maybe I had to do a few repairs here and there.

I would like them to expand the building aspect of it. Almost felt like an real time strategy game I could then interact with.

It's important that's once the structures are built there's still.some challenge. Once the ziplines get built in the first game there's no longer any challenge in traversal. Although it's satisfying and challenging to set up.
I was constantly being told stuff I'd made was breaking and I didn't even make all that much! I didn't try a zipline once btw, call me crazy, I just didn't like the idea of them, it could've potentially taken away from what I enjoyed about the game. But agreed, I hope they expand the building aspect a bunch, including some automation on the more menial parts of the game (like repairing), I am a Factorio fan after all!

Death Stranding is the kind of game you only play once. Like Journey or Inside. Playing it again ruins the experience for me that is.

Yes, similar to Breath of the Wild

It's not a bad thing at all. But once you've explored everything and built up your world there's just not much left to really replay. Luckily these are pretty massive games to play so you get your money's worth

I thought the game had cool atmosphere and Mikelson's character was awesome. I can absolutely understand why some people would hate it though. It was very tedious to play at times.

I was constantly being told stuff I'd made was breaking and I didn't even make all that much! I didn't try a zipline once btw, call me crazy, I just didn't like the idea of them, it could've potentially taken away from what I enjoyed about the game. But agreed, I hope they expand the building aspect a bunch, including some automation on the more menial parts of the game (like repairing), I am a Factorio fan after all!
Yeah every time it rains it damages your stuff. But the amount is tiny so you don't really need to repair it until much later. The game should probably only tell you when a structure is half HP or something.

I don't think a single structure of mine was destroyed after 80 hours lol. But yeah not good for your OCD!

DS was a personal 11/10 for me but I wouldn’t recommend it to everyone. Even if I hate it I’d root for games like it cause I despise the “one size fits all” style of game currently being made.

BabyYoda

Banned
Yeah every time it rains it damages your stuff. But the amount is tiny so you don't really need to repair it until much later. The game should probably only tell you when a structure is half HP or something.

I don't think a single structure of mine was destroyed after 80 hours lol. But yeah not good for your OCD!
Yeah the constant warnings were stressing me out, maybe it wasn't as bad as I thought, that's an area of improvement that's needed for sure in the sequel. I played on regular DS though, I'm curious to know if they improved that aspect of the game in the directors cut.

Most of the time that I wanted to make, say...a bridge, I didn't have the resources needed and couldn't be arsed to head back usually to pick them up. I think they could've made that stuff a bit less of a chore.

Another point, they need to let you be able to pick up items from the ground when on a bike, got annoying to have to dismount for every little item. Same for the truck tbh, maybe have some kid of collecting attachment you could put on the front, side or underneath the truck to collect whatever. It would be more convenient, that's for sure!

i did the same. tried to get into it. I love the concept and world and zaniness, but i find the gameplay just anti-fun. it just feels like a chore to play

Yeah the constant warnings were stressing me out, maybe it wasn't as bad as I thought, that's an area of improvement that's needed for sure in the sequel. I played on regular DS though, I'm curious to know if they improved that aspect of the game in the directors cut.
I haven't played the Directors cut so I'am not sure.
Most of the time that I wanted to make, say...a bridge, I didn't have the resources needed and couldn't be arsed to head back usually to pick them up. I think they could've made that stuff a bit less of a chore.
This is why I think DS is so polarising if you want to build stuff etc you have to raid camps, fight BTs etc to get enough resources. The game never really tells you this so if you bee line the story ( did you do this BTW) you won't really engage with it so it depends on how much you enjoy the walking on whether you like it or not.

If you build structures especially the road or a zip line network missions feel completely different. There's that misson where you have to deliver that woman with the glasses that goes across half the map. .It's a doddle if you have ziplines in place. Where as if you don't it can take ages lol it was pretty amusing reading posts raging at the time about this mission.

This is why I love it. It's so organic and consequential some bike you abandon at one stage might be vitally important in a later mission you had no idea about and the shared world mechanic enhances this further.

This results in truly different experiences which I think results in some hating it and others loving it which is fine.
Another point, they need to let you be able to pick up items from the ground when on a bike, got annoying to have to dismount for every little item. Same for the truck tbh, maybe have some kid of collecting attachment you could put on the front, side or underneath the truck to collect whatever. It would be more convenient, that's for sure!
Yeah agree with this Ghost of tsushima really spoiled us. Does kinda of raise the question why nobody thought of of it earlier 🤔

BabyYoda

Banned
I haven't played the Directors cut so I'am not sure.

This is why I think DS is so polarising if you want to build stuff etc you have to raid camps, fight BTs etc to get enough resources. The game never really tells you this so if you bee line the story ( did you do this BTW) you won't really engage with it so it depends on how much you enjoy the walking on whether you like it or not.

If you build structures especially the road or a zip line network missions feel completely different. There's that misson where you have to deliver that woman with the glasses that goes across half the map. .It's a doddle if you have ziplines in place. Where as if you don't it can take ages lol it was pretty amusing reading posts raging at the time about this mission.

This is why I love it. It's so organic and consequential some bike you abandon at one stage might be vitally important in a later mission you had no idea about and the shared world mechanic enhances this further.

This results in truly different experiences which I think results in some hating it and others loving it which is fine.

Yeah agree with this Ghost of tsushima really spoiled us. Does kinda of raise the question why nobody thought of of it earlier 🤔
I did build quite a lot of roads and generators, it's not like I ignored that aspect of the game entirely, I just didn't focus on it too much, because as you said, it would've required some grinding (along with the other reason I mentioned).

I mostly stealthed through all BT areas and usually went around Mule zones, I didn't find the combat very compelling tbh , so I tried to avoid it when possible, not to mention the effect it would have on my cargo and vehicle (the BT cutscene removing all said cargo from my vehicle was annoying). I did play a certain degree of side stuff though, I played for just over 62 hours, to give you an idea.

I drove the woman (you mean mama?) and I preferred that idea to using ziplines tbh, yeah it took a while, not as slow as walking though!

BlueLena

Neo Member
Loved the atmosphere, the graphical fidelity and the idea of being a post apocalyptic delivery man / engineer, however once a few hours had passed I found no real depth in any of the mechanics and grew very tired of the typically nonsensical story served up by Kojima. At this point I think I'm going to pass on his future output, since MGS4 it seems anything he's attached to has had lots of promise which has gone ultimately unfulfilled in my view.

GymWolf

Super happy for the sequel, at least now i know for certain that kojima is a lost cause and to not bother anymore with his games.

The doubt was killing me.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I really want to give it a go. I paid for the PS5 upgrade but haven't booted it up yet. I played around 5 hours of it originally and had the Death Stranding PS4 Pro, which was gorgeous but the game just didnt grab me. Think I got to the first boss whale thing and a body exploded and I just couldn't be assed....But I put that on me at the time more than the game, becuase I like to give all genres a good go and I respect the game a lot.

Think my pile of shame was high and I just couldn't relax into it. Not sure. Only Kojima game I haven't binged.

Guilty_AI

Please tell me what many holes, bad writing/poor writing and fake drama scenes are there?
I'm interested.
Holes aren't much of the issue, the issue is 90% of dialogue and text is dedicated to exposition. Worked in MGS since fictional politics is interesting, for it to work in sci-fi it'd need a lot more foundations in reality than the game does (like Interstellar or 2001 A Space Odyssey levels of 'real').

The story also abuses absurdity too much towards the end, none of the twists work because the hoops and loops the narrative does to explain them end up taking away from their weight.

That said, i do like how Kojima couples narrative with gameplay. The moments where he does this in the game (as opposed to cutscenes) are very well done, like the bomb package, or when you have to play without BB, or even just the themes of connecting people when compared with the game mechanics

Last edited:

DelireMan7

Ok so I am done with Death Stranding.

After like 10/15h, in a middle of Chapter 3, I decided to drop the game. I love the universe and would like to know the whole story but the game is just a list of chores.
Watch your steps to not fall, being annoyed by the rain, urinate, reading dozen of emails, the goal is to get "likes", showering, shitting...
Also IRL my shoes are lasting maximum 6 months before being destroyed and I have to change them and in this game I have to do that too ? No way Kojima !

At first I enjoyed planning the travels but doing only delivery becoming boring. Then I started to rush in straight line and realized it was had efficient than planning the route... Even in MULES territory or with BTs... So... Why should I bother planning and constructing structures (which is again another chore to transport materials to them).

So yeah game is not for me. Or maybe I am not in the mood for it.
I am might do few deliveries here and there when I have only time for a short gaming session, because there is some charm to it but again walking in the nature is something I prefer to do IRL...

Top Bottom