• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Revisiting Far Cry 3

Humdinger

After playing and enjoying Immortals, I felt a renewed fondness for Ubisoft and decided to replay Far Cry 3, which I originally enjoyed back in 2013.

Far Cry 3 was my first Far Cry game. I've played 4 and 5 since, but 3 is my favorite. I enjoyed 4 but felt let down by 5, in part because, unlike 3, there were hardly ever any quiet moments -- you couldn't go a minute in the forest without coming across something. It's like they were terrified that players would get bored, so they crammed every inch of the map with action. That ruined the sense of immersion for me. If you're in a forested, natural environment, there should be a quiet pace to it -- or at least plenty of quiet moments -- not an addled ADHD pace, with things that you constantly have to deal with.

Anyway, I picked up Far Cry 3 Classic edition for about five bucks on PSN. The "Classic Edition" is the PC port, so it's better than the original console versions, but it's not a full remaster. It does look better than I remember it looking in 2013.

It plays well. I'm skipping all the side content this time, just exploring, looting, unlocking towers, doing enough hunting to upgrade my pouches, capturing outposts, and doing the main missions. Although I did many of the side missions when I played it originally -- the special hunting quests, the timed med delivery, etc. -- I can't remember really enjoying them much. So I'm sticking to the main content.

I'm enjoying it. There's something very satisfying about the exploration, the upgrades, and the way stealth and combat work. And of course, Vaas is a great psycho.

Last edited:

Hollowpoint5557

A Fucking Idiot
I have an issue with the controls on the ps4 version. I find there is a lot of input lag as well as a fairly large dead zone. I tried playing it again just last night as well and the control response was bad enough that I couldn't do it. I dont have that issue with almost any other game. I'm gaming on a 65" Sony x900h on game mode and a wired controller so there should be no issues on my end.

Last edited:

Arthimura

I can't play Far Cry 3, i get motion sickness.

It's the only game that does this to me, i tried playing it in both PC and consoles, got the same effect in both platforms.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

The game's great, I still find Far Cry 2's African setting more appealing, but 3 is much better in terms of gameplay. I only wish it had better technical state, I bought the PS4 version only to discover it still suffers from various graphical bugs, frame drops and occassional crashes.

Last edited:
FC3 was definitely one of my favorite games from that gen. Yes it had the typical post AC Ubi Soft formula, but this game nailed it better than most. The races were fun, hunting and crafting was great, top notch villain, fun stealth, good gunplay - just a great overall game.

Yeah, FC3 was pretty sweet. 4 and primal were good as well. It's a shame 5 was absolute garbage.
I personally thought 4 was just a lesser version of 3. Spent about 25ish hours with FC4 and it never clicked. Not a bad game at all, just felt like the diet coke FC3. I thought 5 was damn good, not as good as 3 though.

Last edited:

Humdinger

I have an issue with the controls on the ps4 version. I find there is a lot of input lag as well as a fairly large dead zone. I tried playing it again just last night as well and the control response was bad enough that I couldn't do it. I dont have that issue with almost any other game. I'm gaming on a 65" Sony x900h on game mode and a wired controller so there should be no issues on my end.

Hm. I'm playing on PS4 Pro and a Sony TV as well, but I don't notice any input lag.

Yea,it's a good game...it's no Far Cry Primal.....but it's pretty good.

I enjoyed Far Cry Primal a lot, too. It's my second favorite Far Cry game.

BigLee74

I loved this game back on the 360.

The remastered version for the Xbox one...not so much.

I am unsure if it’s because it has just dated, or if it’s because of the shoddy 30fps frame rate with what feels like large dips, coupled with crazy input lag. Just a chore to play.

RPSleon

I really enjoyed playing dodgy community made maps. The gunplay was good enough that the mp was enjoyable.

Humdinger

I understand the complaints about technical performance. It is better than the original game, though. It maintains a stable 30, rather than frequently dipping and chugging as it did in the original version, and the graphics (at least the ones I'm looking at, on PS4 Pro) are noticeably improved. I think the Xbox One version wasn't quite as good, if I remember DF's analysis.

But yeah, it's just the PC version, ported to Xbox One and PS4. It would've been nice had they done a real remaster, but no such luck.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Is Far Cry 4 60 frames? I haven't played Far Cry since 2 and it sounds sort of fun, if they still incorporate survival elements or have a permadeath mode or something.

MarlboroRed

My favorite FarCry as well. There was a lot of UbiCheese to it, but when it got things right it got things damn right. The game is just fun to play, like its straight up a really, really solid FPS at its core with decent progression systems in place. Great OST composed by Brian Tyler as well.

And then there is Michael Mandos' Vaas, delivering the best performance in his career. One of the all-time greats in video gaming, no question. The game starts to loose the oomph without him around in the last third of the game. Ubisoft keeps trying to catch the same spark he brought with every entry in the franchise since, but every villain since feels like a shallow imitation of Vaas. I'm excited to see if Giancarlo Esposito can deliver in FC6, though.

Oh, and let's not forget about..

VZ3Twct.jpg

Last edited:

Humdinger

I'm a little bummed that Far Cry 6 is going to be set in an urban environment. One of the things I like about the series is the natural setting. I guess the urban environment will work better with Far Cry 5's ADHD style action, but I may end up passing on it. We'll see.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
I played 2 back in the 360 days and played this in November. Maybe it was hot in 2012 but it's kinda rough now and honestly by the numbers as fuck, already had all major plot points spoiled for me. It's like a 6/10 game. As trashy as 2 was I think I had a more positive impression of it but it's probably also garbage if I went back to it which I never will.

brian0057

Banned
Blood Dragon is objectively the best Far Cry game.
It plays like the third game but without the shit story and awful characters.
Also, Far Cry 2 is the only other game in the series worth playing.

Humdinger

"Objectively"? No, it's all opinion, and opinions range all over the map. Some say Far Cry 3 is the best in the series; some say it sucks. Personally, I couldn't get into Blood Dragon.

I played Far Cry 3 a lot but I sadly never quite managed to beat it, last time I played it was all the way back in 2013.

It's one of those games I'd love to revisit but it's hard to find the time, you ever wish you had a "pause" button on life?

BigBooper

I'm almost finished with Far Cry 3. I played it at launch, and through the 4 and primal since, I always felt like 3 was better. The setting has a whole lot to do with it. It feels more ambitious. I feel like I'd probably like 5 a lot, but haven't gotten to it yet. 6 looks fun in the same way 4 was, so it might not be my favorite, but me and my brother are probably both gonna get it for the coop. The coop in 4 was great.

Top Bottom