• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Revisiting Resistance 3, Finding Love.

Bumping this as I'm currently playing through it having picked it up for pittance over Christmas.

This is a fucking great game. Loving it so far. Just completed the Ravenholm bit. Well, I guess if you're gonna steal, you might as well do it from the best. That was fucking brilliant! My favourite part of the game so far by far. Was shitting my pants the entire time.

Gotta say, this game has some of the best weapons in an FPS this side of Turok 2. Each and every one of them are is so fun to use.

mujun

I'm minutes away from finishing this.

I am honestly surprised at the love this game gets after searching the forums.

The game has some of the worst level and encounter design ever.

Half of the game was confusingly similar room after confusingly similar room packed with gobs of enemies turning it into a shooting gallery more than anything else.

Particularly bad examples were the last couple of levels in the tower thing, the level after the church, the mines and the area where you fight the bandits.

The enemies were often just thrown at you en masse taking finesse out of consideration. The snowy levels were amongst the worst offenders with this though pretty much any area with zombies suffered from it, too. Oh look, 10 snipers and 10 rocket guys spawned right after I flicked that switch!

The game definitely felt better in the first 25% or so, and looking back I enjoyed the first 5 or so levels.

Went back to it over Xmas as I wanted a co-op FPS to play with my nephew (gutted there is no such thing in KZ: SF). It looks and runs a bit shit in split-screen, but its still a decent shooter and the weapons are cool. After a while.. ting! up popped two co-op trophies and then Platinum which was a pleasant surprise :D

glorp

Neo Member
i played through this right after it came out on co-op, and had a really great time with it. it really establishes a post-apocalyptic atmosphere well, and you can tell that the road had a lot of influence on it. the weapons were a real blast (one thing i recall is how you weren't given the standard-issue assault rifle until later in the game, which was a nice switch from getting the regular weapons first and then the nuttier ones).

it's a shame that after this sold poorly and that crappy vita game there probably won't be another resistance game :(

Footos22

Gameplay is top notch. The game looked downright awful most of the time though apart from certain areas. Mega sd bluriness.

I think maybe it's just scratching that Half-Life itch and that's why I'm enjoying it so much. It's similar to HL2 in so many ways (though very much inferior of course) It's a get from point A to point B adventure where you stop by in many places along the way and meet different characters helping them with their problems before going on your way to the next hugely different locale, all the while huge strider-like monsters roam the world in the background. They even ripped certain sections off wholesale such as the Ravenholm bit and the underground caves section from Episode 1. The atmosphere is wonderfully eerie too. The boat trip through the New Orleans-esque town was a big highlight and the aforementioned Ravenholm part was my favourite of the game so far. And then there's the medpack and 12 weapons aspects. It's just a breath of fresh air in this age of military shooters, there's no dudebro nonsense whatsoever and the story is even quite entertaining. It's such a huge step above R1 and R2, it's a shame it failed at retail. It's a million times better as a single player campaign than any of the Killzone games, too.

My only grip with the game is the dumb as shit AI. They're not quite as bad as Resistance 1 but they still tend to make a beeline for you and you alone.

I just reached snowy New York so I'm probably not far off the end, but I've loved every minute of it. It's shot right up there as one of my top PS3 exclusives and is the most enjoyable FPS I've played since Bulletstorm. I don't know why I waited so long to buy it.

Chabbles

Part 2 was so terrible, i never even gave this game any heed. But since i got a 3DTV, and the comments in this thread, i might just give it a shot. Pity its not on psn to buy.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I'm minutes away from finishing this.

I am honestly surprised at the love this game gets after searching the forums.

The game has some of the worst level and encounter design ever.

Half of the game was confusingly similar room after confusingly similar room packed with gobs of enemies turning it into a shooting gallery more than anything else.

Particularly bad examples were the last couple of levels in the tower thing, the level after the church, the mines and the area where you fight the bandits.

The enemies were often just thrown at you en masse taking finesse out of consideration. The snowy levels were amongst the worst offenders with this though pretty much any area with zombies suffered from it, too. Oh look, 10 snipers and 10 rocket guys spawned right after I flicked that switch!

The game definitely felt better in the first 25% or so, and looking back I enjoyed the first 5 or so levels.

Finished this game a few months ago myself and felt really similarly. Kind of shocked at how much praise this game gets as I found it was a pretty lackluster FPS experience overall for many similar reasons.

In many ways it felt rushed or pushed out with a short development time given many of the issues highlighted above. The first few levels were off to a good start, but it all devolved into a rather tepid gibfest where overwhelming odds with lacking AI routines were constantly sent your way amidst uncreative level layouts that too often just felt like predictable arena brawls. The finale in NY came abruptly, feeling as if the lead-in to that section was missing content and the core level itself was a very generic snow shootout barely resembling a typical "anywhere USA" environment let alone the heralded NY location that was constantly mentioned and hyped throughout the game narrative.

Move support was solid, and the weapons were often fun to use, but everything else was a letdown. Strange how all three Resistance games are constantly judged unevenly against each other as I found the trilogy to all share similar problems, though I would give R1 the nod(if only slight) as being the best entry in an overall mediocre FPS franchise.

only version I played was from the trilogy a friend lent me and it had that horrible sound bug (wherein there was a delay of your weapon sound effects by one-two seconds)

didn't finish first section.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
R3 Singleplayer is miles ahead of KZ:SF SP. It's not even funny. It actually makes me sad.

R1 SP/Multi was god-tier imo. I replayed the SP at least six times.

suikodan

R3 was the last PS3 game I finished last year to clear my PS3 backlog.

I played the entire SP campaign with the SharpShooter (ie: gun and MOVE controller) and while the game was "ok", playing with the gun was fun and left me hoping that Killzone PS4 would at least support it.

It's an ok game especially for those who completed the first two.

In terms of atmosphere and level design it's fantastic.
In technical terms it's absolute shit. Severe audio delays between actions and sound effects all the time. Really low framerate (drops to and well below 25 a lot) which is really disappointing since the first two runs at a rock solid 30 almost all the time. It has a lower resolution than R2 on top of that. I know it's because they wanted to use ambient occlusion, but since they couldn't do it and get the performance needed it would have been a lot better if it was left out.

What else? The bugs! To play online you need the latest patch consisting of several thousands of files (~1GB in file size.) If you do patch it single player will crash at a certain level or levels every time you try and if you try to delete the game data you'll have to wait hours for it to finish since there are so many individual files in the patch.

So if you want the campaign and haven't played it before save yourself some headaches and DO NOT install the patch. If you want multiplayer you have to patch it.

Resistance 3 is really a game that deserves a "definitive" version on PS4 with all the bug fixes, a stable framerate and a 1080p resolution.
I have so much hate-love for this game. The gunplay is great and you get really great visual feedback from shooting alien scum, but the technical issues takes away all of that.

desertdroog

I love the IP, while the play mechanics of the second game fell a bit short due to the removal of the weapon wheel, overall the story was enjoyable for me. The third game really delved into a horror style game, with hints of survival (not due to any actions or play mechanics), but mostly due to how stark everything was.

That first level where you and your group are living underground, yet the picturesque beauty of the small town being reclaimed by nature was sublime. Then you get invaded and attacked, which felt like any alien invasion in small town America, (nods to the original Red Dawn movie, at least for me).

St. Louis also stood out, with the use of darkness in the dilapidated high rise buildings and the incubation rooms for the hybrid eggs. It really evoked a sense of dread, and touched on the Zombie trope in a way that wasn't out of place.

I loved seeing how dire the situation became as you moved toward your goal, how the cities and urban centers were so lifeless and horrific, as if you know humanity is on the brink. Kudos to the mention of the radio being used to convey stories and connection from other survivors.

The sniper level in the hills, prison set piece and the tunnels really showcased how diverse Insomniac made the game. It was interesting to discover enclaves of humans struggling and reverting to base tribalism through violence or religion, as the different groups were doing what they could to survive.

You can tell there are definite nods and inspiration from the Half-Life IP, and that is a great form of flattery, as it can exist side by side. Insomniac decided to make a narrative driven linear game, and I still think there is room for that type of FPS, at least for me.

I really wish Insomniac would have given us more back story on the Cloven on the PS3 platform, I guess they explored it on the Vita? I never played it so I don't know for sure. I also wanted to see what became of Russia, but I guess we can expect it was the same in the U.K. and the U.S.A., just that it happened earlier?

The marketing for this game was top-notch using The Staple Singers "Masters of War" with a Grapes of Wrath-esque feeling as a small group of people are fleeing on a train, across the U.S. and witnessing the horrors the Chimera wrought.

It is still one of my favorite Sci-Fi IP's in game form; I loved the setting and time period. I think Insomniac stretched themselves too thin by working on multiple games simultaneously, I can't speak intelligently to that as I wasn't part of the team. However, I'm glad they took the risk and gave us the Resistance IP. I also am thankful that they continued working on Ratchet and Clank. They proved they can do slapstick and serious Science Fiction, we as gamers are lucky for that.

I haven't had any audio bugs, but I did come across one glitch when the Jonathon Rose character wouldn't come to the elevator with me after fixing the fuses or something. A quick restart sorted it.

Thread made me put this game into my gamefly queue. I was sorta soured on R2, but there is something about this universe that I really enjoyed.

VanWinkle

This game is FANTASTIC. Truly great. One thing it really could have used, though, is the writing and story quality of a game like The Last of Us. They aren't the same stories but they both tell stories of desolation in a world with little to no hope - but with one being average written, and the other having excellent writing.

The game could also have massively benefited from being native 720p. It was extremely blurry and that is unfortunate, since the art style is really beautiful.

Gestault

The game could also have massively benefited from being native 720p. It was extremely blurry and that is unfortunate, since the art style is really beautiful.

I remember seeing some of the earlier gameplay segments during the marketing push, and I thought it looked fantastic, but it always had a strange, soft look to it. I assumed it was just the trailers.

:S

Wozman23

It is still one of my favorite Sci-Fi IP's in game form; I loved the setting and time period.

Warning: Spoilers (and fan fiction)

The extraterrestrial lore is so good. On top of the Cloven, there's just so much left unexplored. I've said it many times in many places, but I was always hoping we'd get a game where we saw the Pure Chimera or entered a portal to their home world. It would really open up all new possibilities for enemy types, weapons, and environments. I was also hoping Grey Tech could be like the RYNO parts where we'd scour the globe to construct a devastating weapon - maybe some wide-beam energy ray like Tesla's Death Ray that would be used in a large scale final boss battle. To me that would be the ultimate Resistance payoff.

Plus, after that, there's an entirely different alien race (that originally scared the Chimera off the earth) that we can fight all over again.

Too bad Insomniac will probably never return to the IP. I don't trust anyone else with it, so I'll just have to keep dreaming.

I haven't had any audio bugs, but I did come across one glitch when the Jonathon Rose character wouldn't come to the elevator with me after fixing the fuses or something. A quick restart sorted it.

None at all?
I always get a varying delay after triggering an explosion using the revolvers secondary firing ability. What audio settings are you using on your PS3?

desertdroog

Wozman23, that would be awesome, indeed! The idea that the Chimera were here before us...I want to see that explored with regards to the pure chimera. So many unvisited threads in their story arc, you are probably correct that it will never be fleshed out.

Also, the Project Abraham Arg was a nice way to hype their second game.

Strike

It was a return to form after the incredibly disappointing R2 (even if it felt more like a side story rather than a true sequel). Unfortunately, most people didn't care by then.

None at all?
I always get a varying delay after triggering an explosion using the revolvers secondary firing ability. What audio settings are you using on your PS3?

I didn't even know there were audio bugs til I read your post about them just today. I'm using stereo settings through HDMI for what it's worth.

I got another bug however tonight where I wasn't able to harm the Widowmaker in New York. Emptied every damn gun I had in him over the course of 15 minutes before checking online to see what I was doing wrong when I saw it was a known issue. Quit, restarted the fight at the checkpoint halfway through and beat him easily. Grrrrr

Grisby

Just finished this today on superhuman and goddamn was New York a bitch. I did so much cheesing in corners that I thought I was gonna wall hack into the great beyond.

Fun times though. The upgraded guns are a blast and I really loved the look they got going on for the cinematics. I remember liking it around launch but my favor for the title really went up since going through it again.

It's a shame that it was the last game considering Insomniac finally found their foothold for the series.

ramuh

R3 Singleplayer is miles ahead of KZ:SF SP. It's not even funny. It actually makes me sad.

R1 SP/Multi was god-tier imo. I replayed the SP at least six times.

I remember how scared I was of the monsters you'd fight. Definitely fun with a buddy. He's all like, "hey bro! You got one of them monsters just standing right behind you!". There was a lot of fun to be had.

Side note: I've been trying to find a game that was the level of quality and fun of the R2 Coop multiplayer experience. Any suggestions?

Stillmatic

I finished a playthrough of this recently after having it in my backlog since around the time it released. It was a smooth ride, I really enjoyed it. I actually used most of the weapons for different situations instead of sticking with a couple of trusty ones, like I usually do with shooters.

I'll chime in and say I also loved 3. I never actually played one, enjoyed 2, but though 3 really was the best. Like mentioned, it was the immersion that I thought the game really nailed. I got so many Half life 2 vibes also when I played through. I actually bought the pack containing all 3 games recently, so I can eventually play through 3 again.

I'm pretty sure they said they wouldn't be doing any more resistance games, which is a shame, because I think 3 was finally a good step in the right direction for the series. I'd love to see a next-gen resistance game in the Killzone 3 engine. It doesn't even need multiplayer, just a really good length single player would be great - something similar to Metro Last light, but maybe not as linear? Not open world, but just a big of space to explore.

I sold my PS3 before Resistance 3 released, so hopefully I'll get a chance to play it on Playstation Now. I did play R2, and while the SP and MP were nothing special, I really enjoyed the co-op missions and leveling up the different classes.

keuja

Completed it a few days ago.
The return of the non-regenerative health gameplay makes it challenging (some of those last level were tough man…). The diversity of weapons and level up systems makes it fun.

I loved those crazy section with a non ending stream of Grims trying to overwhelm you with sheer numbers. Rossmore for life! I didn't like the Sniper Riffle, you don't feel any punch firing with them (the Marksman felt much better).

The MP though… After the awesome R2 co-op, it is a big let-down.

Putty

I thought it was terrific! Had great atmosphere, was very pleasing on the eye...I'd defo be up for a PS4 outing.

Feindflug

Just finished this today on superhuman and goddamn was New York a bitch. I did so much cheesing in corners that I thought I was gonna wall hack into the great beyond.

Fun times though. The upgraded guns are a blast and I really loved the look they got going on for the cinematics. I remember liking it around launch but my favor for the title really went up since going through it again.

It's a shame that it was the last game considering Insomniac finally found their foothold for the series.

Yeah that's really disappointing...Insomniac finally got it right with the series and now the IP is dead. :(

I personally loved the campaign and I thought that it was one of the best FPS campaigns of last gen - great environment variety, awesome weapons and great pacing. This thread reminded me that I haven't finished the game on Hard yet, I'll probably start a new playthrough soon.

KalBalboa

Banned
I really liked Resistance 3, but the patches Insomniac made actually royally messed up the single player abd cooperative campaign audio.

I pull the trigger and some weapons have a full one second delay for sound. Apparently this happened to a lot of people, and deleting the install data meant losing online play... so yeah, it's great when playable, heh.

I finished this over the holidays and thought it was a really good time aside from the last 4 chapters. Pretty much everything in NY was a huge step down in atmosphere and fun. They just started throwing so many of the tougher enemy types at at you at once that combat became a slog whereas it felt more precise and polished earlier in the game. There was one late game section I loved-
the subways transitioning into the fight against the giant spider alien thing that was also killing Chimera
- but the rest of it was just a mess, and the game lost a lot of its flair by the time you got to
the terraforming machine.
Too many things aiming at you at once forcing maximum player cowardice which wrecked the momentum and took away from the spectacle.

But when it was good, it was really good. The pacing, art, atmosphere, and combat all the way up to NY were very solid. A ton of it was Half Life 2 inspired, no doubt, but that's not a bad place to get some inspiration from, and the grim tone was done well. Weapons felt nice, especially the Revolver, and scenarios ranged from intimate firefights, to large scale encounters, to horror tinged levels, to everything in Graterford, PA which gave me slight Escape From Butcher Bay vibes- and that's always a plus for a shooter. Too bad Insomniac has moved on as I think they found a great formula with R3.

Completed this last night. Absolutely loved it from start to finish.

Now I'm all fucking sad there's not gonna be another. At least the (personal) story wrapped up and they didn't leave anything hanging for a sequel.

sflufan

Banned
The Resistance series is the best FPS series on the PS3 - it's far better than the Killzone series.

Yeah, I said it - come at me, bro!

The Resistance series is the best FPS series on the PS3 - it's far better than the Killzone series.

I hated R1 and R2 but I can easily say that Resistance 3 is a better fps than any of the 5 Killzone games, that's how good it is.

Nev

Banned

Killzone 3 is better than Resistance 2 (which is a terrible game), other than that you're right.

Grisby

Yeah that's really disappointing...Insomniac finally got it right with the series and now the IP is dead. :(

I personally loved the campaign and I thought that it was one of the best FPS campaigns of last gen - great environment variety, awesome weapons and great pacing. This thread reminded me that I haven't finished the game on Hard yet, I'll probably start a new playthrough soon.
I liked the fact that you could keep your powered up weapons on a new game. Made beating superhuman a lot lot easier.

In response to the series, I think R1 was solid but a little overlong and bland in some areas (in both art and level design). The sequel felt like it spread itself too thin and with 3 I feel like they hit a good balance.

One last bit, Burning Skies on the Vita wasn't too terrible, a playable fps but mediocre to the extreme.

Top Bottom